PDA

View Full Version : Have you got the flu this year????

trennedy
02-23-2008, 10:36 AM
As I lay here on my couch, under 2 blankets, but still cold with a temperature of 101, but did get the flu shot, I am just wondering.....how many of you have got the flu this year???:ill:

I have been hearing on the news how the flu shot did not target the correct flu strain this year. I have had many students out with it in the past few weeks.

How long is it lasting? What helps???

Take care and stay well!!!

Ian
02-23-2008, 10:58 AM
DD is now officially the only one in our family who hasn't had it.

I'm going on my fourth week with it, although I'm mostly better, and DW just got it like 3 days ago.

DS started it all about a month back. :ill:

DizneyRox
02-23-2008, 11:07 AM
I haven't gotten the Flu in a number of years, and this year appears to be no exception. And I never get the shot either, not that it helps...

DisneyDog
02-23-2008, 11:29 AM
I had it. No one else in my family had it, thank goodness. It was awful! I had chills, stomach upset, fever, loss of appetite and couldn't stay awake longer than 2 hours at a time. I lost about 10 pounds, too, which I can't complain about. LOL.

Dakota Rose
02-23-2008, 11:36 AM
I had it twice in January. And to make matters worse, I'm pregnant. It was miserable.

PirateLover
02-23-2008, 11:38 AM
I haven't had the flu in well over 8 years at least. I have gotten shots the past 5 but I don't think that helped me so far this year, I think it's just that I haven't been around anyone with it, and I've been extra careful in public about washing hands, not touching my face etc. There seems to be a really bad cold/bronchitis combo going around lately though. The 4 years in college I def. think the flu shot helped because everyone around me was getting sick but I was fine. However it's always a guessing game with the shot about what strains will be most likely to come into play each year. :pixie: for anyone suffering.

alpro2
02-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Received the flu shot back in December, and so far so good. Everbody in my family has had it, and I really have not avoided any of them. I guess that I just got lucky this year.

5fromabove
02-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Our 3 youngest kids as well as myself had what resembled the flu (it was never officially diagnosed as that). It lasted for 4-5 days at the worst point...but I carried a miserable cough for about 11 days total. The only thing that seemed to help me at all was a humidifier and Mucinex. Hang in there and hope you are on the mend soon.

disneydeb
02-23-2008, 12:00 PM
My school system hands them out to its teachers and assistants. Several of our teachers have had it though and the physicians in our area are saying that the vaccine they have been given were not the type of influenza that has been going round. I hope everyone that has it feels better soon.

DisneyDudet
02-23-2008, 07:01 PM
We have had a handful of positive tests on our unit, half elderly and half young people.

Remember, it is only the flu if you test positive with the Rapid Flu test.

If you have flu like symptoms (achy muscles and joints, weakness, fever, general yukky feeling, etc), and test positive, seek medical attention within the first 48 hours that you first feel blah, because you are able to be treated with Tamiflu, which will help you get rid of the flu faster.

The real flu is nothing to push off. We've had, at least, 3 pediatric deaths in our area since Jan 1. If you or your child feels ill, please see someone!!

I hope all of you feel better soon! This year, the flu seems to be quite bad.

daparish
02-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Sending loads of :pixie: for a speedy recovery. The last time I had the flu was New Year's Eve 1999. I remember it so well because everyone was talking about the millenium and I had 104 temp and did not care what was going to happen at midnight.

TheMartellFamily
02-23-2008, 07:42 PM
We have been very busy in the office with many people who have gotten the flu. In many cases they have not gotten the fly shot but some have and still got the flu. We are given the shot since I am in the medical field. I did not get sick but my co-worker on the floor with me did and it was very bad. She was out for 5 days. They are saying that the strain is different than what was predicted so that is why there are so many that are sick. Because this years strain in some cases is very bad if you do not feel well then see a Dr. ASAP.

RedSoxandPatsfan
02-24-2008, 08:55 AM
I came down with it late Friday night. My ds had it on Monday and lasted thru Thursday. I am feeling a little better today, the fever is gone.

This is the second time this season I've had the flu. The first one was the day after Christmas. That was a different strain though (different symptoms).

I have never gotten a flu shot, however after these two I am considering it. I did see on the news that the flu shot wouldn't have helped with this one. It wasn't the right version.

Anyways, hope your starting to feel better.

DizneyRox
02-24-2008, 09:25 AM
I have never gotten a flu shot, however after these two I am considering it. I did see on the news that the flu shot wouldn't have helped with this one. It wasn't the right version.
Correct, each year it's a cr@p shoot. WIth doctors playing around with vaccines like that, I can't say I'm willing to take that gamble with my health.

ckaranassos
02-24-2008, 09:36 AM
I don't know what I had- it consisted of the stomach thing :sick: and a high fever for 48 hours. I just ate a few bites of toast my first food in a long time. Hopefully, all is going away. My fever seems to have broken last night and has not come back yet. Feel better everyone!!

dizneynut
02-24-2008, 11:48 AM
I am just starting to feel better. I was out of work three days last week. Thank goodness for being able to work from home a few hours.
I worked a bit between sleeping.
I have not had the flu in 20 years! My youngest DD had a cold but thankfully it did not go any further than that!

My oldest DD is very worried she will catch it. She leaves on her sernior trip to WDW in two weeks. We have tried to stay away from her so she stays healthy.

i hope you are feeling better soon!

Gail

SurferStitch
02-24-2008, 11:56 AM
No flu shot......no flu this year (so far).

I don't take the shot. Too iffy for me. I'd rather get the flu, and I think I've only had it once in the past 6-7 years or so. I get sick, but I don't get the flu (according to my doctor).

MNNHFLTX
02-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I always get a flu shot and so far this winter have been pretty healthy (as the rest of my family has been), knock on wood.

We have not seen a large number of flu cases at my hospital, but I do hear that incidences of the flu are up significantly in Texas, as they are in about 30 other states. Unfortunately this year's flu shot was only effective against about 40% of the viral strains out there. They will have to go back to the drawing board for next year's shot.

vizsla
02-24-2008, 01:14 PM
I have not had the flu in a great number of years and never get the flu shot. But on the other hand DW and DD seem to get it every year.

conorsmom2000
02-24-2008, 04:02 PM
This seems to have been an awful year for the flu here in Northern NJ!! I couldn't even begin to tell you how many teachers and students have been out sick with it. I feel we got really lucky - not only have we been around so many of them that came down with it at school, but my friend was here on Monday with her 5 year old DD - she called me Thursday to tell me that Monday night, after they'd left here, her daughter started showing signs of the flu. She was so sick on Tuesday and by Wednesday, her Dr. had admitted her to the hospital for 24 hours to rehydrate her. :( But, so far <knock wood>, we've all been fine.

I so hope I didn't just jinx us by posting this, as it really seems to be a miserable strain that's going around. Conor had all of last week off from school so I'm hoping the time off helped everyone get healthy! :thumbsup:

By the way, none of us had the flu shot either.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-24-2008, 09:01 PM
I had a flu shot this year and haven't had the flu in 15 years. However I think I caught the flu. I can't say for sure because the doctor at the clinic wouldn't run the flu test.

I had all the symptoms - headache, body aches, sinus and chest congestion, coughing, 102 temp, soar throat, extremely tired.

It's been a week and I still don't feel great. Feeling better but still sick.

offwego
02-25-2008, 09:23 AM
I had a flu shot this year and haven't had the flu in 15 years. However I think I caught the flu. I can't say for sure because the doctor at the clinic wouldn't run the flu test.

I had all the symptoms - headache, body aches, sinus and chest congestion, coughing, 102 temp, soar throat, extremely tired.

It's been a week and I still don't feel great. Feeling better but still sick.

me too but no shot..guess that was a mistake as both dh and ds had the shot and no flu.

trennedy
02-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Here I am 4 days later, I just can't get rid of my:dizzy: headache. I take prescription migraine meds, but goodness, they really aren't helping. I am home from school again. I feel bad when I miss. I love my kindergarteners and hate when I'm not there.
If I could get rid of the temp and the headache, I think I could go back tomorrow....we'll see!!!
Good luck to you all!

adoptionislove
02-25-2008, 01:32 PM
My DS2 had a flu shot in October and got the flu 2 weeks ago. He is the only one in the family that got a shot and he is the only one that got the flu!!!

His temp spiked to 103.7!!!! I was panicked. The doctors office was not! They gave him Tamiflu and apparently, that just shortens the flu he still had it for 4 days but not as severe as I am reading about!!

He is back to his rowdy 2 year old self (thank god)!