PDA

View Full Version : Special Toy ideas?

TikiGoddess
02-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi kids,

My hubby talked to his dad on the phone tonight. FIL lives in Florida so we only see them once a year. He said that he's sending us a check to buy the girls belated Christmas presents --- $200.

FIL's original idea was to get them bears from Vermont Teddy Bear. I like the idea but to be totally honest, the last thing we need in this house is another stuffed animal.

So I need some ideas... what kind of present can I get the girls that they will hold onto for a long time? Something classic... timeless...

Thanks!
TikiG

laughingplace<3
02-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Hmm. I don't know. A really nice locket would be nice for the both of them, like a really nice necklace that is timeless- something that they could wear when they're older and now. Necklaces on the plainer side, and lockets, could work nice. It's also a nice way to introduce them (if, I'm guessing, they're younger), to keeping a peice of jewlery.

Other runner-up ideas are Disney snowglobes or a handcrafted jewlery box. I know I've seen beautiful jewlery boxes in stores that are just to die for. Those are also timeless. My pick is for the first idea though. :)

PirateLover
02-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Hmm. How about a really nice music box? I absolutely loved music boxes when I was little, I think most girls do. The music is so pretty and you get to store all your little "treasures" in them.My treasures for about a year when I was 6 or 7 were bottle caps from beer that I would find on the sidewalk... why my parents let me hold on to them I'll never know, because they don't remember hah! My grandfather used to help me look for them!

merlinmagic4
02-23-2008, 12:36 PM
I like the jewelry idea or the music box. How about a charm bracelet they can add to or one of the pearl necklaces where you add a pearl for special occasions?

RedSoxFan
02-23-2008, 12:47 PM
I don't know how old your girls are -- but American Girl dolls are an idea. DD11 loves all of hers and is always playing with one of them.

PirateLover
02-23-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't know how old your girls are -- but American Girl dolls are an idea. DD11 loves all of hers and is always playing with one of them.

This is another great idea... I always wanted one when I was younger.

TikiGoddess
02-23-2008, 03:29 PM
OP here -- thanks for the ideas!

I like the idea of the American Girl dolls. I know that they will both be into them, but unfortunately the girls are 5 and 3... a little too young.

I am also looking into Steiff animals. I have some Steiff puppets that I still have from when I was a kid and just love them!

TikiG

RedSoxFan
02-23-2008, 03:48 PM
They also have Bitty Baby on the American Girl site with lots of accessories. My daughter never had one; but they are cute.

alphamommy
02-24-2008, 06:56 PM
I like the locket idea, even though the girls are a little young.

My in-laws spend about 6 months each year traveling in a fifth wheel. DD was having a really hard time with their absence about 3 years ago, and my MIL gave her a locket with their pictures in it. She loved it, and still cherishes it.

American Girl dolls are also nice.

Good luck!
Tammy