PDA

View Full Version : PeopleMover/Rocket Rods: We're Imagineering a New Attraction!

MegaDisney
02-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Some work has been spotted going on up on the PeopleMover/Rocket Rods loading platform and a "We're Imagineering a New Attraction" banner was spotted on the platform. The banner disappeared the next day. Tony Baxter has been seen up on the platform recently.

All the activity is fueling rumors of a new attraction in the Disney online community.

Hopefully we will hear something "solid" soon!

Disneyluvr2
02-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Yea for new attractions!!!!:party:

SPCMT
02-25-2008, 01:49 AM
No way!!! I dont believe it! Oh rapture...I do hope something comes there! Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:!

*tinker_belle*
02-25-2008, 03:07 PM
This is what I've been waiting to hear! I really hope they use that space for a new attraction. It has been empty for so long. I know alot of people wish they could bring back Rocket Rods, as do i. That was an awesome ride! But at this point i would be happy to see the People Mover put back in. Are the track parts still there through Star Tours and Space Mtn? I was sure they had been removed. Anyways whatever happens, i hope its good :)

BrookeA6100
02-26-2008, 07:42 PM
How come the Rocket Rods were taken out in the first place? Becaue it broke down so much? I would like to see that ride come back more than anything.

MegaDisney
02-27-2008, 04:09 PM
The Rocket Rods saga is long and complicated.

Basically what happened is that GM, who was the sponsor of the ride, was upset due to delays on the Test Track attraction at WDW and pulled out sponsorship of the ride.

Instead of Disney making up the budget deficit caused by GM's pull out, they cut the budget and made changes to the design of the ride, ie banked turns. The lack of banked turns caused problems with the vehicles and the structure of the track, causing expensive repairs, down time and structural damage to the track.

I too loved Rocket Rods and hope a new High Speed attraction is installed on the old People Mover tracks.

tinkwest
02-27-2008, 05:50 PM
If work has been seen up on the platform area, I hope it is to move the Rocket Jets (now known as Astro Orbitor) back up high in the sky where it belongs rather than clogging up the entrance to Tomorrowland.

DLrockstar
02-27-2008, 06:05 PM
This rumor flies every year about this time and it ends up being prepwork for gradnight. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see something up there, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. My preference for the PM track is to have Autopia (once it has completed it's normal course) go up onto the elevated track under automated controls and do the route through the new show scenes before returning down to the normal load/unload area. This could be done if they changed over to honda's electric cars like in hong kong and added a control system. Bye bye stinky chevron cars. I forget who came up with this idea, so sorry for not giving proper credit, but it wasn't me.

Walt Lucas
02-27-2008, 08:54 PM
I heard awhile back that they were thinking of putting an Incredibles themed attraction up on the tracks of the former people mover. wouldn't suprise me especially with all the Pixar themed attractions as of late