PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Brennan's @ DLR DTD

BronxTigger
02-21-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm a little confused about Ralph Brennan's Jazz Cafe. Some places I see that it is a CS place and other places I see it is a TS place. Some things list it as both.

I don't want to have a sit down meal, but can we walk up to the restaurant and get beignets and a simple lunch/dinner?

Thanks again!

jrkcr
02-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Yes, they have both a counter service, and a table service. We ate there as a table service, and being a South Carolina native away from the south for almost a whole year, I was really looking forward to eating here! I ordered the Bourbon street sampler and fried chicken :chicken:, red beans and rice, mustard greens-which were very good! Not as good as my mamas...but still. I would go back just for the mustard greens!! And we had bananas foster for dessert-DH ordered this(I would have preferred the double chocolate bread pudding...but maybe next time).
They have a web site with a full list of the menu. Just google them.
Hope you enjoy!!

BrerGnat
02-21-2008, 12:05 PM
The food is very different at the CS (Jazz Kitchen Express) vs. the TS (Jazz Kitchen). The TS restaurant is VERY good, and the food is more "fancy" New Orleans cuisine. I'd highly recommend dinner here (lunch is so-so). We've eaten here several times, and the food and service at dinner time are much better. Lunch has been spotty both times for us. This place shines at dinnertime. FYI, the Bananas Foster (invented by Ralph Brennan) is not on the menu, but it's available and they make it tableside. It's cool!

I personally prefer the CS location for a good lunch in DTD. The Po Boys are good. I'd steer clear of the hot dishes...they sit in steam tables for a LONG time, and look pretty gross...:sick:

The Express (CS) location lunch/dinner menu is as follows:

Nawlin's Favorites
All baskets are served with Creole seasoned fries
Add a side of coleslaw for only 99 cents

New Orleans Platter Basket - A combination of chicken strips and popcorn shrimp. $9.99

Chicken Strip Basket - Hand battered tenders with our own seasonings. $6.99

Popcorn Shrimp Basket - Gulf shrimp lightly battered & fried. $7.99

Louisiana Style Hot Wings - Chicken wings tossed in a sweet & spicy BBQ sauce, served with Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing on a bed of celery and carrots. Small (6) $5.95. Large (12) $9.95. (Extra spicy available upon request.)

Bayou Bowls
Make it a meal!
Add a side coleslaw and french bread $1.99

Jazz Kitchen Jambalaya - Creole seasoned rice with chicken & Andouille sausage. $7.99

Gumbo Ya Ya - A rich roux based soup with chicken & Andouille sausage topped with rice and green onion. $6.99

Classic Red Beans & Rice - With smoked ham & Andouille sausage. $6.99

Fresh Salads
Choice of Buttermilk Ranch, Bleu Cheese or Honey Mustard Dressing

House Salad - Lettuce, cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese, green onions and croutons. $5.99

Popcorn Shrimp Salad - $8.99

Chef Salad with Roasted Turkey & Cheese - $6.99

House Salad & Gumbo Ya Ya - $8.99

Sandwich Combos
Dressed with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and mayonnaise.
Po-Boys are served on fresh baked French bread.
Combo includes Creole Seasoned Fries. Add a side of coleslaw for 99 cents.

Cheeseburger - $5.99

Double Cheeseburger - $6.99

Fried Chicken Po-Boy - $7.59

Turkey & Cheese Po-Boy - $7.59

Fried Gulf Shrimp Po-Boy - $8.59

BBQ Pork Po-Boy - Pulled pork, BBQ sauce, sweet onions and pickles. $7.99

Side Kicks

Basket of Creole Seasoned Fries - $2.99

Loaf of French Bread & Butter - $1.99

Southern Style Cole Slaw - $2.49

Classic Desserts

World Famous New Orleans Beignets (Ben-yay's)
A classic New Orleans dessert - tastes like a donut, fritter and funnel cake
all rolled into one sweet tasting treat! Great with coffee for breakfast,
as a snack throughout the day, or a perfect dessert after dinner!

The Original Beignets - Order of four, french style donuts dusted with powdered sugar. Made fresh throughout the day! Small (4) $4.59, Large (6) $6.59

Housemade Bread Pudding - The best in town! Topped with a vanilla sauce. $5.49

BronxTigger
02-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks for all the information and the clarification of the TS/CS issue.

I think we'll be doing a CS dinner here one of our days. My mom only wants to do 1 TS meal, so we are (hopefully) going to do a lunch at Cafe Orleans. She wants a Monte Cristo and I hear they are cheaper at CO than at Blue Bayou.

Aisling
02-22-2008, 12:31 PM
The beignets at Ralph Brennan's express counter are to die for! Yummy, yum, yum!

disneydrmr
02-25-2008, 12:44 PM
The beignets at Ralph Brennan's express counter are to die for! Yummy, yum, yum!

:ditto::exactly: Fortunately for my stomache I didn't discover these until our last day at DLR or else I would've been eating them morning noon and night and probably gained 10 pounds from them alone. My mouth waters every time I think about them... so please eat some for me!

BronxTigger
02-25-2008, 11:17 PM
.. so please eat some for me!

No problem! I'll add that to the itinerary "....eat beignets for Diane..."

Beckybalz
02-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but is creole seasoning spicy? I don't like spicy foods, but so many of the things on the menu look good...I am just not sure if they are spicy or not!

NotaGeek
02-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Yes, Creole seasoning has a spice to it ... but I wouldn't consider anything served at Ralph Brennan's "spicy" -- more flavorful than hot. If you like your food bland, this is not the restaurant for you.

Belle619
02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
I've said this before on other threads, but I LOVE Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen!

Beckybalz
02-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the clarification! I love flavor...I just don't like hot spicy foods.

SleepinB
02-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Yes, they have both a counter service, and a table service. We ate there as a table service, and being a South Carolina native away from the south for almost a whole year, I was really looking forward to eating here! I ordered the Bourbon street sampler and fried chicken :chicken:, red beans and rice, mustard greens-which were very good!

Does anyone know if they still serve the fried chicken w/ red beans and rice? How long has it been gone?

When we were @ DTD in January it did not appear on the menu and a recent check on their website menu does not show the fried chicken either.