PDA

View Full Version : Help w CA Grill picks

Crow
02-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Ive eaten here twice. those times Ive tried 2 diff sushis which were great, the Double Crunch Rainbow Roll & the Spicy Sensation both of which were good
2 diff entrees pork loin & buffalo,
2 diff desserts,Banana & Butterscotch Buzz & the cheese plate which were good

Im thinking of trying a flatbread & having sushi again.
not sure which of the following entrees to try poss either the beef or chicken.

Fresh Linguini with Lobster and Crab Bolognese, shaved Parmigiano Reggiano, and Tarragon Oil 28.00

Nori Wrapped Ahi Tuna with Stir Fry Vegetable Strudel, Baby Bok Choy, Lotus Root, andMiso Sauce 35.00

Seared Jumbo Day Boat Scallops with Farro Risotto, Roasted Wild Mushrooms, and Banyuls Reduction 34,00

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Creamy Goat Cheese Polenta, Cremini Mushrooms, Zinfandel Glaze, and Sage 26.00

Oak-fired Filet of Beef with Potatoes, Bacon, Pearl Onions, Mushrooms, and Teriyaki Barbeque Sauce 36.00

Crispy Petite Chicken with Potato Gnocchi, Creamy Kohlrabi, Pomegranate Reduction, and Chervil 28.00

Braised Veal Cheeks with Buttery Potato Puree, Roasted Salsify, Baby Carrots, and Sauce Veloute 33.00
I dont know if that will be too much having sushi, flatbread & an entree. I will be having some sake or wine also.

DreamFinder2
02-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Wow...doesn't exactly look like what I made for dinner this evening :blush:.

I would definitely go w/ a flatbread. My DW and I tried one last time we were there - don't remember what kind - and it was great.

Otherwise, I think the chicken sounds good...but I'm not much of a seafood person.

SBETigg
02-20-2008, 10:30 PM
When we were there, I had the spicy sushi to start and I was stuffed midway through- it's really a large portion, as you know. But it's fantastic and I would hate to pass it up. It seems like a flatbread, sushi, and entree would be way too much food, though. I think two of the three would be more than enough. Best wishes deciding which to order!

Of the entrees, I had a red snapper dish that was fantastic. My dh had the oak-fired filet, and that was also a great choice. I don't think you can go wrong with anything at California Grill.

Jeff
02-20-2008, 10:51 PM
In late December I had the Pork Tenderloin. It was great. Our server said it is the only thing they keep on the menu as a constant, the other items change ( I think he said every month). My wife had Filet Mignon, she said it was fantastic.

I agree that you can't go wrong.

Natazu
02-21-2008, 04:38 AM
The filet is really hard to beat. I think it's the best on property. The braised veal is also a winner.

As for the flatbreads, the triple cheese or the BLT flatbread are stellar. I like the Long Island Duck and the chicken but not as much as the other two. The seasonal braised beef and the proscuitto, I haven't tried.

Ya gotta try the Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli, oh yeah!

mrsgaribaldi
02-21-2008, 05:45 AM
We just ate there on Feb 8th. Dh had Seared Jumbo Day Boat Scallops with Farro Risotto, Roasted Wild Mushrooms, and Banyuls Reduction 34,00
I had Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Creamy Goat Cheese Polenta, Cremini Mushrooms, Zinfandel Glaze, and Sage 26.00
Both were delicious. Mine was so good that I just told DH tonight that I wished I had the creamy goat polenta:cloud9:
I've had the oak fired beef before and loved it too. We used to get the cheese flatbread, that is out of this world too. I could just that. We didn't get it this time so that we would have room for dessert.
We had the warm chocolate cake but it came with a different ice cream, I think it was blood orange. Anyway, it was just a regular color, I thought it would be BLOOD ORANGE but it wasn't:( I was to full to try the cake though.
I think you'll like whatever you get. I love that place:mickey:

Crow
02-21-2008, 08:14 AM
I actually liked the sushi & desserts better than the entrees. I will be sharing the flatbread if i get that. I was even thinking of just apps & dessert but I like trying diff entrees too. mayb I will go app & entree no dessert (well other than drinksss)
I will have to see next Friday 9:30 pm what happens.

MissStyles
02-21-2008, 08:22 AM
I ate there recently (February 10th) and I got the Vegetarian Unplugged (not on the menu but always available). It comes with a bunch of different side dishes from the menu, whatever the chefs feel like doing. If you'd like to see pictures and a full review click on my homepage in my profile - it's linked to my food journal. They gave me a mini flatbread that was different and out of this world!!! It had leek fondue, wild mushrooms, fontina and homemade fingerling potato chips on top. You should definitely try the valrhona molten cake if you're in a chocolate mood. And be sure to report back on what you ended up getting!

Kairi_7378
02-21-2008, 08:43 AM
We've had the spicy sensation sushi and another one that isn't on the Intercot menu but was incredible. I would have a really hard time passing up the CA Grill sushi for flatbread. On our first visit I had the goat cheese ravioli, which was very good, but I think that the sushi was superior to that. We've had a veal dish, the pork chop, and the sirloin, and all were excellent. I really liked the polenta that comes with the tenderloin. If I do dessert at the CA Grill, I do the cheese platter and dessert wine rather than a traditional cake because it seemed like a better end of the meal. Let us know what you decide to get!

sillyolbear
02-21-2008, 09:00 AM
They had a striped bass entree on the menu last week that was incredible. The lump crab and Florida citrus salad was also excellent.

Crow
02-21-2008, 09:00 PM
I ate there recently (February 10th) and I got the Vegetarian Unplugged (not on the menu but always available). It comes with a bunch of different side dishes from the menu, whatever the chefs feel like doing. If you'd like to see pictures and a full review click on my homepage in my profile - it's linked to my food journal. They gave me a mini flatbread that was different and out of this world!!! It had leek fondue, wild mushrooms, fontina and homemade fingerling potato chips on top. You should definitely try the valrhona molten cake if you're in a chocolate mood. And be sure to report back on what you ended up getting!

thanks for the tip. I will see what I decide next Friday. & of course I will report it.

mudpuppysmom
02-21-2008, 10:36 PM
We ate there in january and since I've been pregnant I can't eat meat, so instead I had:

goat cheese ravioli (I was a bit surprised it was only one, but man was it good!! and large!)

salad with walnuts and blue cheese (almost too much blue cheese if you can imagine that!! And, I LOVE bleu cheese!!!)

For dessert I had a bowl of plain strawberries -- that is all I wanted, no cake, no whipped cream, just berries and they accommodated.

DH had a bunch of stuff: sushi, pork tenderloin I believe and some cake for dessert.

Sorry, I can't remember more, but I had a hard enough time looking at what he ate, let alone remembering what he ate!

DS had chicken with potatoes and while the portion was small, it was JUST RIGHT for a kid!!

Duchess99
02-22-2008, 08:42 PM
The last time I was there we did a flatbread, apps, entree & dessert. It was our last night, so we made it a long meal.
We got there early (45 min before our ADRs), sat at the bar and split the mushroom flatbread (delish!) and had a few drinks.
When we were seated for apps I had a cold lobster salad that I don't see on the menu anymore and DB has the Peeky Toe California Roll...it was like no other California Roll I've ever had...amazing!
Then for entrees, DB had the filet which he loved and I had the Pork Tenderloin. I can't say enough good things about that dish...it is my favorite dish from any restaurant I've been too, and I've been to some of the best in Manhattan. Then for dessert, I had the cheese plate and DB had a chocolate dessert (I forget which one).
We still talk about the meal one of the best we've ever had. It was A LOT of food, but since we spread it out over time it didn't seem like too much.
I'm very jealous of you :thumbsup:

Crow
02-22-2008, 09:54 PM
this time next wk Ill be enjoying it!