PDA

View Full Version : Disney resales

kbvette
02-20-2008, 11:49 AM
So if Disney has the ROFR, do they sell points to other DVC resorts such as BCV's or VWL?

Thanks

Deesdisney
02-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I had the same question so I called. Yes they do. They sell timeshares to all the resorts. If you want to know how much and where they are just call them they will give you the asking price and how many points are available.

locodemickey
02-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Do you mean that they are less than the asking price for AKL and SSR? Do you happen to know about how much they ask per point?

DVC Mike
02-20-2008, 05:40 PM
BCV = $101
BWV = $98
VWL = $98
OKW = $96 (thru 2057)
HHI = $92
VB = $92

u2daisyblue
04-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Do you have to buy the min 160 points to buy older resorts directly from DVC? I know resales you can buy less.

DVC Mike
04-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Do you have to buy the min 160 points to buy older resorts directly from DVC? I know resales you can buy less.

Yes, for your initial purchase to become a DVC member, you must purchase a minimum of 160 points when buying from DVC -- regardless of which resort you buy.

BrerGnat
04-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Are there any other benefits buying resale directly through Disney rather than from an outside source? With the exception of the 2057 expiration year for OKW, that is? Do they extend ALL the contracts or are there any other "perks" of buying through Disney?

DVC Mike
04-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Are there any other benefits buying resale directly through Disney rather than from an outside source? With the exception of the 2057 expiration year for OKW, that is?

Initial Purchase from DVC

You can get the exact number of points that you want (although you must buy a minimum of 160)
Faster than resale (you will be in the system and have your points and be able to make reservations much faster than resale)
No worries about the purchase if Disney executes ROFR, since that only applies to resale purchases
More expensive cost per point than the resale market
You can finance through DVC, and Disney doesn’t report the loan to credit reporting agencies
You can pay with a Rewards credit card and get points/cash back
The full set of points you buy will be available immediately, versus a resale contract which may be “stripped” of points.
If you don’t want the resorts they are currently selling (AKV/SSR), you may have to do some firm talking to a guide to convince them you really want an older resort.Initial Purchase via Resale

You may not get the exact number of points you want
You can purchase less than 160 points for your initial buy-in to DVC (Disney won’t let you buy less than 160 points).
It will take much longer to get into the DVC system and have your points (resales typically take 6-8 weeks)
Disney may exercise ROFR and you may loose the resale and have to start all over (When buying resale, one of the potential pitfalls to try to avoid is making an offer that will cause Disney to exercise it’s Right of First Refusal)
Resale is typically less expensive then buying from DVC
You can’t finance through DVC, although most resale brokers will recommend a finance company
A resale contract may be “stripped” of points where the user has used many of the current year’s points, and may have borrowed some or all of next year’s points. Just be aware of “stripped” contracts on the resale market.
Easier to pickup large point packages at any of the older DVC resorts.

Do they extend ALL the contracts or are there any other "perks" of buying through Disney?

OKW is the first DVC resort where an extension was offered. We don't know if this offer will be made at the other resorts or not.

Hammer
04-18-2008, 03:43 PM
It will take much longer to get into the DVC system and have your points (resales typically take 6-8 weeks)

That is not necessarily true. I was in the DVC system within 10 days of my resale closing with the Timeshare Store.

Also, regarding ROFR, Disney seems to not to be exercising that too much at this time. I bought at $82/point and I had no problems with ROFR. In fact Disney approved the purchase price 2 weeks earlier than they were required.

DVC Mike
04-18-2008, 07:32 PM
That is not necessarily true. I was in the DVC system within 10 days of my resale closing with the Timeshare Store.

Yes, but that was after closing.

It typically takes 6-8 weeks start-to-finish, which includes the ROFR process, the title company, the estopple, the closing, and Disney putting you in the system.

Some take longer, and some take less.

BrerGnat
04-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. We're in the "seriously considering DVC membership" mode at this point, and I am looking for the best way to do it.

We need about 250 points, but can really only afford 160 if we buy through Disney, which is why we're looking at resale.