PDA

View Full Version : disney clean?

WDW24
02-20-2008, 09:46 AM
do think disney is clean?

recently when we've went, I've seen peeling paint, GUM, ect.

This really disturbs me! :mad:

It used to be much cleaner!

Von-Drake
02-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Considering the sheer number people in the Disney Parks each day I still consider it clean. Now if the people in the parks would be more courteous about what they do with their trash and gum, imagine how much cleaner it could be.

WDW24
02-20-2008, 09:57 AM
I agree. People who chew gum should look around and see all of the little children, and try to be nice and THROW IT OUT! :mad:

thrillme
02-20-2008, 10:03 AM
I never understand these peoples obsession with sticking their NASTY gum somewhere or spitting it out on the ground for someone to step on it. EWWW. I've NEVER done that...if a trash can is not available I just swallow it.

Alas...I'm not an avid gum chewer either. Several years in braces sorta blows that habit.

WDW24
02-20-2008, 10:08 AM
I get annoyed when I see peeling paint!

I dont undersatnd why they cant paint it over! :mad:

disneylovinmom
02-20-2008, 10:14 AM
I heard Disney does not sell any gum on their property. That is probably why. I would never stick my gum anywhere but the trash. I never understood why people would just stick theirs any old place. YUCK!! I was there in December and do not recall seeing any peeling paint. Maybe I just was not looking for it.

disneymom15
02-20-2008, 10:16 AM
I have noticed it's not as clean as it use to be. However, it's still alot cleaner than other theme parks. As far as general upkeep, really haven't noticed, but there again, look at other parks (really bad).

MissT
02-20-2008, 10:21 AM
I've never noticed anything unkept about Disney except for an exit we took leaving the CR. Gum and ciggarette butts littered the outside stairwell. It was a complete disappointment but we never saw anything like it at the parks in regurlar guest areas.

lightyearfan
02-20-2008, 10:27 AM
me and dw think that Disney keeps it's properties very clean. you do have your share of pigs that think that they're at home and they spit throw there garbage on the floor, imho no respect. so with this in mind and the crowd size factor, we feel that Disney does the best that they can to keep the parks clean. just look at what happens after the parades people who are sitting curb side with drink and food have the gaul to leave there garbage there and just walk away, and guess what??? there are garbage cans all over the place, it's no wonder those cm's with gas powered vacums have to come out immediatley following a parade. i'm rambling, but yes we do feel that the parks are as clean as there are going to be considering all the above

Victor

Deesdisney
02-20-2008, 10:34 AM
I went in jan. and did not see anything wrong. Maybe cause I wasnt looking. But I would take WDW over any other parks. I went to one last year that made me feel dirty. There was spiders and cob webs at the rest., gum all over the place, trash all over the place and the tables you eat at were just terrible. I had to clean the tables to eat. Needless to say I will not be going back to that place.

irish1967
02-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Ever notice how many people DON'T wash their hands after using the bathroom? :sick:

No, Disney is not clean but considering those people also exist outside of Disney, it isn't any worse than anywhere else!

I can't think of anytime when Disney has been consistently unclean - certainly there have been areas where the quality of cleaning is noticably lower than other areas, but is seems like it is taken care of pretty quickly (i.e., the area is cleaner the next day when we go by)

I wonder if peeling paint may be a factor of when you go - I would imagine that type of maintenance would be scheduled and you might notice more peeling paint the closer you get to the painting dates.

BronxTigger
02-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Compared to the borough in which I live, Disney is PRISTINE!

Disney Doll
02-20-2008, 11:38 AM
I've always thought Disney was exceptionally clean. That's one of the reasons we like it so much. The bathrooms are always well keep and it seems like those CM's do double duty to keep up with all the slobs out there. I actually have a good story about the cleanliness of Disney parks. On DH first trip we were eating popcorn in MK and a couple of kernels fell to the ground. Immediately a CM was on the job sweeping our mess. :blush: I swear it was like she came out of the bushes. DH always said that was one of the things that let him know Disney was not just your typical amusement park. I am a clean freak and I have on occasion felt the resort rooms were not as clean as they could be. Not dirty, just not quite up to my immaculate standards. Overall I've been pleased with the level of cleanliness.

laward32
02-20-2008, 11:41 AM
I think it is very clean, especially the bathrooms. I don't think I've ever went into one and it be dirty.
I do agree with other posters, that if people had more respect and put trash where it belongs, than Disney would be spotless. People get the attitude that they are on vacation and should be waited on hand and foot and just expect someone else to come along and pick up after them. It's terrible.:mickey:

#1donaldfan
02-20-2008, 11:46 AM
I have to say that the number of guests coupled with the amount of "trash" you may see (gum, cig filter, etc....) is a very small amount !! We as guests can help keep Disney clean, by being an example. If you drop something, even very small, take the time to pick it up. Yes, I understand that there are those of us who actually do that, but instead of pointing fingers and just simply complaining about it, we may want to start to lead by example. Eventually, others will catch on, I'm sure of that !!!! I have seen some "items" here and there at various parts of the park, but I never thought too much about it, because if you stand there long enough some CM would be by very shortly to pick it up / clean or what was needed.

dumbo_buddy
02-20-2008, 11:50 AM

hey! i take offense! i'm clean!

;)

BronxTigger
02-20-2008, 12:02 PM
hey! i take offense! i'm clean!

;)

YOU might be, and I might be, but have you BEEN to the 149th/Grand Concourse train station lately? :ack:

dumbo_buddy
02-20-2008, 12:06 PM
:sick:no, but westchester/tremont ave station is gross enough!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
02-20-2008, 11:13 PM
DH and I actually commented to each other quite a few times about things we saw in September that we had never seen before in WDW.
Overflowing garbage can in MK in the Ariel's Grotto area and really messy bathrooms.(Water and paper towels overflowing and all over the floor in a few bathrooms :sick:)

I totally agree the people in the parks were mostly to blame but, things like that are usually never seen or cleaned up really quickly.

However....when I went in December things were back to the very clean WDW I know and love!!:thumbsup:

Rodders
02-21-2008, 08:21 AM
My first trip as an adult was in 2000 so I can't really comment on how it used to be but the parks are immaculate as far as I am concerned. There are a few slips here and there but that's to be expected with the number of visitors.

jaredkari
02-21-2008, 08:48 AM
I agree with everyone else, PEOPLE ARE SLOBS!! But compared to other parks and considering the amount of people at WDW it is pretty darn clean.

But it does seem to me that each time we go to WDW we notice it seems a little bit less clean each time. Here is my theory on that- the first time you go to WDW you are just in a daze amazed by everything. The next time you are just excited to be there. By the third and fourth times you start to notice the little things that you overlooked before (trash, gum, etc..). So I guess that the more you go the more you will notice those little things.
Thats my :twocents:

mickey&missy
02-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Overflowing garbage can in MK in the Ariel's Grotto area and really messy bathrooms.(Water and paper towels overflowing and all over the floor in a few bathrooms :sick:)

We the messy bathroom issues too. 2 bathrooms in MK one by Pinochhios and one in the area were Fantasyland and Liberty Square meet. The floors were allllll wet with soaked paper towels on the floor. My biggest issue was the worry about slipping on it!

I think the parks are generally clean though. Think about things you see in everyday life. Trash on the side of the road, etc. Our Walmart is the grossest place I ever seen! It even smells funny! Yuck! I hate that place! A lot of people are disgusting! Theres bound to be a little bit of a mess!

TheRustyScupper
02-21-2008, 10:50 AM
. . . Considering the sheer number people in the Disney Parks each day I still consider it clean . . .

1) This presupposes a "relative" cleanliness.
2) I do not go along.
3) It is either clean or it is not clean.
4) Disney cleanliness has slipped since Eisner.
5) With Ogre (aka, Iger), it is getting worse.
6) Many Cm's complain about lack of maintenance and janitorial.

NOTE: Many years ago McDonald's had a commercial about cleanliness. The tag line was "You only notice clean, when it isn't.".

WDW24
02-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Oh, I never knew they had painting days! :confused:

It makes me feel better! :D

I also agree that the bathrooms are much cleaner than any other theme park! :thumbsup: But the bathroom near the BC pool is soaking wet!

Tinkitude
02-21-2008, 11:17 AM
In the three trips my family and I have made to Disney, I have found it to always be pretty clean. There is constant refurbishment going on. I think they do an excellent job of keeping it extremely nice. As has been said before, not all parks are this way. During the busy times, I would imagine it would be more difficult to keep things as clean. And again, as has been said before, there are just some people who don't seem to care about where they throw their trash. Good rule of thumb, no matter where you are, keep some wet wipes on you for cleaning your hands after having touched things that thousands of others have touched.

Marker
02-21-2008, 11:39 AM
recently when we've went,
<sigh>

Actually, I have somewhat noticed it. But, I don't totally blame Disney. I think the larger portion of the blame goes to the guests. Doesn't matter how many people they have cleaning, they're out numbered by people who refuse to properly dispose of their trash to begin with.

Actually, I kind of hate it when I see the CMs picking up trash. I'd prefer those tasks be done at night. However, if they waited until the parks were empty the place would be a dump by the end of the day.

When I see a drink cup in the bushes while waiting in line, I don't instantly blame WDW, I blame the person who tossed it there.

Jasper
02-21-2008, 11:40 AM
You know, I remember having this exact conversation with my father in 1979 0r 1980. We had gone to WDW in the mid 70's and then went back in either 79 or 80. During the late 70's trip my father swore up and down that things were worse than they were during our mid '70's trip. Eventually we found some pictures taken during the earlier trip that captured some burned out light bulbs and some peeling paint outside the Hall of President's.

I think that both my father in the late '70's and those of us now are to a large degree a victim of our expectations. We have all talked so much about how perfect Disney is at maintenance and cleanliness that when we find anything the slightest bit amiss we automatically think that things are slipping. In looking at photos from our many WDW trips over the years I really don't think things are significantly worse than what they have ever been.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it is perfect or that they couldn't do better at times. But I think the same thing could always have been said about WDW.

IloveDisney71
02-21-2008, 01:25 PM
In all of my visits I've rarely seen Disney dirty. It is the cleanest public place I've ever visited especially when compared to other amusement parks. I've never noticed peeling paint or anything of that nature in or around the parks.

LudwigVonDrake
02-21-2008, 01:40 PM
All things considered WDW is very clean, You want to see a dirty park, go to Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey. There are certain queues that they should be ashamed of (namely Batman and The Chiller).

BandMan
02-21-2008, 01:44 PM
I was just sitting here thinking how much I wish my own home and yard were as well-maintained as Disney property. <sigh>

I know I have pealing paint I need to get to, and I just realized I should really clean that upstaris bathroom. I don't have a staff professionally hired to do it, but I also don't have 10,000 people using it everyday, either. :sick:

Tink#64
02-21-2008, 02:00 PM
It's been almost 2 years since our last visit, but DH & I both think it's very clean. The cleanest of any theme/amusement park that we've ever been to!

I always carry hand sanitizer with me though, before eating or while riding the bus back to the resort I think it's a safe measure to de-germ! :D

bfbulldog
02-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Take a trip to your local park or Six Flags to see what dirty is. They might get 2-3K people on any give day.

Now Disney has 40-50K people parading through their parks every day 365 days a year, some things are gonna be missed.

I have found especially over the last couple of years that the upkeep of the parks is pretty incredible considering the sheer number of people traipsing through at any given time.

Gum in fact is not available for purchase anywhere on Disney property for obvious reasons.

Camping Mom
02-21-2008, 08:43 PM
I don't see the gum or peeling paint. What I see are people who will NOT SMOKE IN DESIGNATED AREAS and just walk around smoking. I am soooooooo allergic to smoke and this just gags me. Disney has several smoking areas all over the parks that have nice settings. Please, please, smokers, for those of us whose lungs literally start tightening up when we smell it, please use the designated areas. Thanks so much.

Mikey Piano 23
02-21-2008, 08:54 PM

I hear that man. I am always amazed when I go to other cities just now dirty NYC is. I am from Manhattan and I guess I just dont notice the filth anymore! Disney world is super clean!

jszczur5
02-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Disney is still amazingly clean compared to other amusement parks. I am always pleased with the cleanliness of the washrooms especially.
If the parks are not as clean as they used to be, it's because more of US are not behaving appropriately. There is no reason to spit out your gum on the ground, or worse yet, stick it to the wall inside an attraction. There are garbage bins everywhere - use them. I don't hesitate to suggest the litterers bend over and pick up their trash. Besides, the more Disney has to pay people to clean up after us, the sooner we can expect the next price hike!

laughingplace<3
02-24-2008, 12:07 AM
All things considered WDW is very clean, You want to see a dirty park, go to Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey. There are certain queues that they should be ashamed of (namely Batman and The Chiller).

Great Adventure's queues make me want to throw up. :sick: I see cobwebs and all sorts of junk they COULD clean up, but don't. It's really gross.

I hear that man. I am always amazed when I go to other cities just now dirty NYC is. I am from Manhattan and I guess I just dont notice the filth anymore! Disney world is super clean!
I would like to stand up for Manhattan! I live here too, and although the train stations are enough to make me :ack:, we aren't that dirty of a city overall. You will find rats and bugs in ANY major city. It just makes me upset when people complain over seeing a rat. There are rats EVERYWHERE. Grow up!

Sorry for that rant :blush:. Back to WDW: has ANYONE noticed the queue for BTM to be absolutley disgusting? Bottles and everything thrown EVERYWHERE. Whenever I go on that ride, it is still always nasty. I of course don't blame Disney- they even go above what they should be doing. It's all of the pigs who think it's okay to throw your empty bottles on the ground instead of walking the 2 steps to the garbage can.

DisneyFanaticDargon
02-24-2008, 12:20 PM
6) Many Cm's complain about lack of maintenance and janitorial.

It's not so much a lack of janitorial in general as it is a lack of janitorial under the age of 45 that can speak more than 5 words of English and are actually capable of working for more than 5 minutes between sitting around for 45 minutes watching TV.

Bitter? Maybe. I've had a lot of run-ins with custodial and I was not impressed.

pwdebbie
02-24-2008, 02:24 PM
I was very impressed by how clean everything was when we were there. And everything seemed well-maintained also. The fact that one dirty bathroom stands out means that all the others over the nine days we were there were fine. (The dirty one was in the Contemporary near the Concorse Restaurant. It was bad, very bad.)

And all the landscaping was so nicely done. No weeds, no scrubby-looking areas. And we only saw people working on the landscaping once the whole time we were there.

We were very pleased with the cleanliness and upkeep.

Deb
POFQ, Oct. 2007
hoping / wishing / dreaming / praying for April 2009

dumbo ears
02-24-2008, 02:32 PM
I think that for how big WDW is and how many people come into the area every day that its very clean and they work very hard on their cleanliness.

Ian
02-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Eh. I mean it could just be my failing memory, but I definitely think their upkeep standards have slipped in recent years.

I don't know what bathrooms the folks in this thread are using, but virtually every bathroom I've used in WDW in recent years has been kind of messy. Mostly it's just the water all over the place, but sometimes there are paper towels on the floors and sinks, and there have been more times than I'd like where I've seen "things" in some of the potties that shouldn't have been there. :ack:

Park maintenance, too, has slowly gone downhill year by year. Don't believe me? Look around you next time you're riding Winnie the Pooh or Buzz Lightyear or the TTA. There's plenty of peeling paint, broken things, and dirt to go around. And if you don't want to see it, that's cool with me. I'm actually jealous of those that can look the other way, but it bothers me. I admit it.

I will say, though, that if your first visit to Disney World was after, say, the mid-80's or so, you don't know what you're missing. You never saw the Magic Kingdom in its heyday.

That being said, I do think that there are some factors at play besides just cost cutting or what have you. I mean Magic Kingdom is pushing 40 years old ... some dirt is just gonna happen (although oddly enough, it seems like the most poorly maintained attractions are the new ones :confused:).

Also, the resort is too big any more. They can't keep enough. Not enough bodies or hours in the day to clean everything when you have 20+ resorts, 2 water parks, 4 major theme parks, etc.

javamama
02-24-2008, 11:15 PM
For the most part it's clean IMO, of course come the end of the day it looks like my house w/two toddlers especially bathrooms. I remember last year we were there late w/EMH, and the potty near Space Mountain was a bit messy, water and paper towels. I don't remember the eighties stuff because I was a kid, and that stuff didn't matter to me then, now as an adult it does. Thank goodness for antibacterial wipes:cool: