PDA

View Full Version : Magical Express Service

weezie77
02-19-2008, 04:32 PM
We are using the ME service and had a question. Since you have to give them your flight number, do you have a set time to make it to the bus? We will be getting our own luggage is why I ask. We didn't make the reservation for ME in time so we don't have the yellow tags for our luggage. So will we have a specific amount of time to make it to the ME bus before it leaves?

2 days and counting... :mickey:

BMan62
02-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Once you arrive in Orlando Airport (MCO) there is no deadline for getting to the ME counter. There are buses that run regularly as long as there are flights coming in (and probably for a while after that.)

disneymom15
02-19-2008, 05:50 PM
DME can still pick up your bags with out the yellow tags. Just give your luggage claim checks to the CM at the DME counter.

sainter
02-20-2008, 04:33 PM
I think they only take flight numbers to have an idea of how many people may be coming in at any given time. There is no set time to get to the counter.
We have picked up our own luggage (sometimes), used the restroom , even looked for a few items at a store in the airport and then went to the ME counter.

Ed
02-20-2008, 05:15 PM
The main reason they get your flight number is so the CMs who retrieve your luggage know which baggage carousel your luggage will be on. Saves them a lot of time when they know to expect to find luggage for "X" number of passengers arriving on ABC Airlines flight 1234 on baggage carousel # 25.

CleveRocks
02-20-2008, 05:33 PM
The main reason they get your flight number is so the CMs who retrieve your luggage know which baggage carousel your luggage will be on. Saves them a lot of time when they know to expect to find luggage for "X" number of passengers arriving on ABC Airlines flight 1234 on baggage carousel # 25.
Actually, that's not how it's done. Luggage with DME tags never makes it out onto the baggage claim carousels (unless a mistake occurs). The yellow-tagged bags are pulled behind-the-scenes.

The reservations are required for two reasons: 1) they need to know about how many people are going to which resorts at about what times, so they can plan how to dispatch the buses; 2) per Disney's contract with the Greater Orlando Airport Authority, DME is not permitted to take walk-ups (people without a reservation) ... this second one was a concession to the local ground transportation industry.

To expand on another post ....

If you don't have DME luggage tags, you can still enjoy the automatic luggage delivery. They've had a set procedure in place since Day One. It's not an afterthought, it's a solid plan.

When you check-in at the Disney Welcome Center, the CM will ask if you tagged your bags. When you say "No," they will ask for your baggage claim ticket numbers, as well as a physical description of each bag as picked from a photo array.

A CM will be dispatched to claim your bags at the baggage claim carousel (your bags are out there because they do not have DME tags on them). The CM takes the bags behind-the-scenes at the airport, prints a set of DME tags (which will be white rather than the usual yellow), affixes one tag to each bag, and from there your bags get put into the DME sorting/delivery system the same as all the other DME bags.

DME has been around for about 2.75 years. I read about 5 different WDW-themed message boards every day, and honestly, I've NEVER read anyone say they used this "Plan B" and had a problem with it. Not once.

Go for it! It will be easy, it will save you time (you won't have to wait at baggage claim), and it's fun. Yes, fun. It's fun to land at an airport and not go to baggage claim. Maybe I'm just a geek, but I find that fun.:mickey:

pilk
02-20-2008, 07:02 PM
A couple years ago our travel agent "lost" our DME tags. To ensure things went smoothly we took a couple pictures of our luggage. When we arrived at the DME counter they asked us to look at a series of generic pictures, but instead we handed them the printout of the pictures. Then they knew exactly what to look for.

adoptionislove
02-20-2008, 08:47 PM
awww Pilk that is a great tip!!!!!!!:mickey: