PDA

View Full Version : Crowds Due to Foreigners

Chase'sPoohBear
02-19-2008, 08:39 AM
I was wondering if there were more foreigners at the parks due to the weaken dollar? I'm debating whether or not to take my daughter to WDW, May 6-11. I hate big crowds, and I prefer to go off season to WDW. For those of you who have recently been to WDW, have you noticed more foreigners? Thanks!

Polynesian Dweller
02-19-2008, 08:47 AM
I was wondering if there were more foreigners at the parks due to the weaken dollar? I'm debating whether or not to take my daughter to WDW, May 6-11. I hate big crowds, and I prefer to go off season to WDW. For those of you who have recently been to WDW, have you noticed more foreigners? Thanks!

What difference does crowd size due to 'foreigners' have to do with anything? Would it make a difference if the big crowds were due to Americans on school break? If you hate big crowds why not just ask about that?

Fantasmic
02-19-2008, 08:50 AM
There's always going to be foreigners in the parks, it's a very popular holiday destination, especially in England.

vamaggie
02-19-2008, 08:57 AM
I may be "culture blind" but I don't think I would know if more foreigners were there unless we started up a conversation with someone who mentioned they were from another country. I know the weakened dollar may be making more folks travel to the US and WDW is a very popular destination so I guess this may contribute to the crowds but I would not think significantly so.

adoptionislove
02-19-2008, 08:57 AM
You go Polynesian Dweller, I was thinking the same thing!!!!

How about big crowds period!!!

WDW is ALWAYS crowded!!

Chase'sPoohBear
02-19-2008, 09:50 AM
I didn't mean to offend anyone. I love people from all over the world. I was just wondering if people from Europe were taking advantage of our weaken dollar, and deciding to travel to WDW? I read somewhere, that Disney was promoting heavily overseas, and I was just wondering if that added to the already large crowds from the states?

tink179
02-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Don't worry I know what you mean. :mickey:We were there in January, and yes there were tons of foreigners there! As for people saying you don't know they're there, or how can you even tell. You can't by looking at them, but it's pretty obvious when they're carrying their countries flag around with them high up in the air, and I know It's so people can always find their group. We always go in January and have always seen a few of these tour groups. This January was insane! I have never seen sooo many groups there! It's also been the busiest January I've ever seen for the parks!!! My dh and I believe it's because the opposite season for some of these travelers too. It could also be because of the dollar. I'm sure in May it's going to be really busy in general, because you're getting to the busier season. Happy planning! :party:

RoosMomKanga
02-19-2008, 11:00 AM
We love foreigners too :thumbsup:(it's one of the reasons we love EC WS or just sitting/talking with people from other places at dinner), and I know you're not trying to offend! Our weakened dollar is a valid reason why the crowds might increase (I'm sure Disney is tracking this!). I'd certainly stay longer on our upcoming France trip if our dollar was the opposite of what it is now!

We noticed tons of mainly Japanese tour groups this past week (my DH was born on an army base in Japan and spent his childhood in Germany so he was interested in the groups:cool:). They were mostly groups of all young girls, which made us curious. Like you, I was curious as to if it was a holiday time for them or our the exchange rate that brought them, or what, but we never happened to be with them in line to ask.

Like I said in my trip reports, it was definately more crowded just overall for value time. Our trip mid-January three years ago was empty compared to last week. We just hope the opposite is true when we go to Paris in May (I'm hoping the other Americans will stay home so we can enjoy spending time with more "foreigners", which is what it's all about for us)!

Sunshine1010
02-19-2008, 11:01 AM
I've seen several news stories regarding the fact that the foreign dollar was 'good' right now, and more were coming to the US to do their vacationing.

I didn't think you meant anything negatively.

jaredkari
02-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Don't worry I know what you mean. :mickey:We were there in January, and yes there were tons of foreigners there! As for people saying you don't know they're there, or how can you even tell. You can't by looking at them, but it's pretty obvious when they're carrying their countries flag around with them high up in the air, and I know It's so people can always find their group. We always go in January and have always seen a few of these tour groups. This January was insane! I have never seen sooo many groups there! It's also been the busiest January I've ever seen for the parks!!! My dh and I believe it's because the opposite season for some of these travelers too. It could also be because of the dollar. I'm sure in May it's going to be really busy in general, because you're getting to the busier season. Happy planning! :party:

My wife and I were there too in January and expected smaller crowds. But WOW were we wrong. It was more crowded than I had ever seen it at MK (and I have been there during the summer and free dining). And yes there were many foreigners. I kind of feel it is due to the falling dollar. We are currently planning a trip to London and we just have to take whatever price they give us in England and double it!!

MickeyChick
02-19-2008, 11:25 AM
We were told by the concierge at Pop that there were huge influxes of Brazilian people while we were there. Standing in the (long) line at the food court one night, I was surrounded by people speaking Portuguese.

So, we went during the off season to avoid crowds and it didn't work.

DNS
02-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Personally I think it's been more crowded in the past few years, period. Times of the year that used to be less crowded do not seem that way as much anymore. Although crowds do not bother me other than longer lines, the fast pass has helped that dramatically. I think it would depend on what your threshold of too crowded would be.

garymacd
02-19-2008, 11:35 AM
"It's a small world, after all..."

Come on, everyone! Sing along with me! You know the words!

TheDuckRocks
02-19-2008, 11:37 AM
When we were there in Jan. it was really kind of fun seeing how many people were there from Brazil. On the plane down from Dulles half of the plane was filled with one group from there. They were a group of high school age kids with chaperones and it was announced over the loud speaker system that they were going down to Florida to see the parks and participate in a soccer tournament.
When we got to POR we saw at least 10 to 20 more groups of them. In the parks I don't think I'd be wrong to say that there were at least a couple of thousand of them.
For a group of teens I must say they were very well behaved and mannerly. The only problem was when they would join a line or arrive at a restaurant as a group it made for a long wait for everyone else.
We also saw many, many families of our friends from the UK, all the marathon people and some knid of dance competion groups. So over all we thought that Jan. was much more crowded than we were lead to believe.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
02-19-2008, 01:11 PM
January-February is a popular time for most South American tour groups. Always, so every year, I'd expect them to come.

As for other 'foreigners', yes, there are increased specifically with Guests from the UK/Ireland and Japan.

Personally, I love the foreign tourists because they tend to spend more here. (I've had a family from the Middle East who spent $1800 in my line....who knows what else they bought elsewhere).

But if you don't like crowds, I might be bold to say you may want to reconsider a trip to the number one family destination in the world. Universal might be more your speed since they have about 1/3 of the Guests that Disney has.

#1donaldfan
02-19-2008, 01:27 PM
If I were from UK or wherever and the U.S. dollar was as bad as it is now, I'd be there in a heart beat.....kinda like going on a huge discount.....oh well, still love Disney and we love meeting people of different cultures and locales......

Aggie97
02-19-2008, 01:30 PM
We were at WDW Jan. 29 - Feb. 5, and it was significantly more crowded than we had experienced on previous trips during this time period. We surmised that a very great number of guests were from either 1) Louisiana (due to Mardi Gras and the quantity of LSU or other LA team apparel we spotted) or 2) South/Latin America (due to the significant number of people in lines with us speaking Spanish or Portuguese). :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
02-19-2008, 03:54 PM
1) Foreigners?
2) Isn't that the same question that Brits and Brazilians ask about us?
3) Aren't we foreigners to them?
4) Just wondering?

d_m_n_n
02-19-2008, 04:34 PM
"It's a small world, after all..."

Come on, everyone! Sing along with me! You know the words!

It's a small, small world...

Oh no! Now I'm going to be singing it the rest of the day!! :drama:

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
02-19-2008, 04:39 PM
As I am myself a "foreigner"..I can tell you that definately there are "foreigners" taking advantage of the weak dollar. I went in December because of the weak dollar, I collect DVD's and I made a huge bargain in "your" country, I will go to the US again in June, because of the weak dollar.

I hope our presence doesn't interfere to much with the American citizens plans, we will try to limit ourselves as much as we can :):D

I have met many Americans and all of them were extremely interested in the Netherlands and all my dealings with them were so cool!

I am also bothered when I visit Amsterdam, to see all those american foreigners there..the crowds in the city of Amsterdam is terrible ;)

TBY2225
02-19-2008, 04:58 PM
I was in WDW in January and it was much more crowded than usual! I did see lots of people from other countries carring flags or wearing shirts with there flags on them. Also I heard lots of other languages being spoken! I might not be able to understand them, but I did see alot of smiles! :mickey: I have also read here on Intercot and heard on many WDW pod cast that the weak dollar and all the promoting Disney is doing overseas is working.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-19-2008, 06:55 PM
My husband is Filipino and his parent come from the Philippines so I understand how that question could be taken.

However someone might need to know this for medical reasons.

* illnesses are different from country to country
* some people can't travel to certain countries because of this
* customs are different....some countries don't have the personal space that Americans do.

Sunshine1010
02-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Again....I don't think the OP meant anything negatively.

RAIDER
02-20-2008, 08:55 AM
The original question and his/her follow up was innocent and probably miss worded :thumbsup:
So no offence taken :thumbsup:

So yes ..as a person living in the UK ..The USA is a great place to come over and get bargains as well as upgrade on our hire cars and hotels when we come to WDW :):D

gremlin
02-21-2008, 02:57 AM
I am an AMERICAN who lives in a "foreign" country. I guess that groups me in that catagory since I will definitely be visiting WDW this summer due to the weaker American Dollar. Our American dollar does not go very far here in Europe, so we are left to vacation somewhere that we don't have to add 50% (Euro contries) or 100% (England). I like the fact that if the cheeseburger costs $6, I pay $6, unlike here, if it costs 6Euro, I pay $8 or in England I would pay $12.

dlpmikki
02-21-2008, 03:39 AM
Hey Gremlin - I think you can get a cheeseburger for less than $12 in England :D

The dollar/sterling rate is not quite as good this year for the English as it was last year but it is still pretty good. Can't speak for other foreigners but more and more English are coming to Florida every year and lots of repeat visitors. Oh, and I'm one of the ones who will be there early May! :D

I think Disney are adding so many events that the off season is going to be almost non-existent so May should be an OK time to visit - and well worth it for the Flower and Garden festival!

Rodders
02-21-2008, 08:10 AM
The dollar makes no difference to me. We budget around £3000 GBP and make it fit. Last time we stayed at POP and this time we can stay at POR. The weaker dollar basically buys more holiday for our money.

I would however expect that the weak dollar would have more influence on people who aren't so obsessed with Disney as me and my DW.

As for spotting us as foreigners you may not be able to until I speak. I don't know if anyone remembers the WWE wrestler The British Bulldog - Davey Boy Smith but mines not a million miles away from that accent.

applecore72
02-21-2008, 09:45 AM
I am also a "foreigner" (Swedish - and yes, you would recongnize me and my family as Swedish in a crowd, we're all blondes except for our youngest who is adopted from China), but witout any strange illnesses and with a huge respect for personal space ;)

We are going to WDW in August and don't really care about the dollar (we would have gone anyway), but since it's quite "weak" at the moment it means that we will stay at nicer hotels (deluxe villas second week, my oldest insisted on staying at "the Toy Story hotel" the first week) include the Dining Plan both weeks (we might even go for the deluxe - haven't decided yet) and probably buy some extra souvenirs.

:mickey:

luvkatiebug
02-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Hey Dutchman!
Just want to say I love your country! When I was in college (Geaux Tigers!) my parents lived in Wassenaar (near the Hague) for my dad's work, and I had the chance to visit Holland 3 times. I absolutely loved it, the people, the bikes (so healthy!). I can't wait until my kids are old enough to visit sometime.

Missy:mickey:

bfbulldog
02-21-2008, 06:53 PM
What difference does crowd size due to 'foreigners' have to do with anything? Would it make a difference if the big crowds were due to Americans on school break? If you hate big crowds why not just ask about that?

Calm down. You're just looking to be offended huh!

It's obvious she's asking if the weakened dollar has significantly increased the number of tourists visiting and is it affecting the crowds.

Marilyn Michetti
02-21-2008, 08:09 PM
I think the crowds are just getting bigger, period.

I'd rather deal with the crowds, American or any otherin WDW, that most of the Sr. Citizens that flock to Az. every winter. They boost our economy with their $$'s, but driving on Main St. is like being on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride:funny:

Camping Mom
02-21-2008, 08:30 PM
I understood the question as soon as I read it. I know nothing offensive was meant and you just wondered if it meant bigger crowds. My dh and I were there in January and we saw lots and lots of Latins. We wondered if it was some holiday for this culture because I had never seen so many at DW. Usually when we go in the summer, we see tons of Brazilians with their bright yellow flags and tour guide holding umbrellas. Hard to miss them though...they all dress in the same outfit and color each day. Hey, maybe I should try that with my family! Might be easier to find them in a crowd !!

MushuMulan
02-21-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't think the dollar really has anything to do with it.

For one, those who live in Europe have an entire ocean to cross to go to Disney World, so I'm sure that discourages some (same goes for Asian countries).

As for South America, well our dollar is still worth more than most South American countries currency, so I doubt there is much motivation there.

The only place I can really think of where that might be the case is Canada, and I really wouldn't call them foreigners, they're just about the exact same as us :).

Also, I don't think it's that there's a lot of people from out-of-country in the crowds, it's just that you tend to notice them more than those who talk without an accent or in the same language.

And plus, you have to remember that there's Disney parks all over the world. If I were to go to Disney Paris or the one in Japan (couldn't bring the name to mind), then I'm sure that I would be considered a foreigner.

Point in case, there really is no foreigner in any Disney park, just those sharing a magical experience :thumbsup:.

CaptSmee
02-21-2008, 10:32 PM
January-February is a popular time for most South American tour groups. Always, so every year, I'd expect them to come.

Yup. I noticed the last 2 years when we went in Jan. there were a lot of Brazilian tour groups there. By comparison, the 2 years in a row when we went in the fall everyone seemed to have a British accent. I do belive they are increased, but think it has to do with different times of year for their holidays.

Polynesian Dweller
02-22-2008, 12:28 AM
Calm down. You're just looking to be offended huh!

Nope! That's your assumption. Wasn't offended, it would take a lot more than that. But I thought the wording could have been much better.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-22-2008, 03:42 AM
There are a lot of Brazilians tour groups that come into Disney in Jan. because it is their summer.

Rodders
02-22-2008, 04:43 AM
I don't think the dollar really has anything to do with it.

For one, those who live in Europe have an entire ocean to cross to go to Disney World, so I'm sure that discourages some (same goes for Asian countries).

As for South America, well our dollar is still worth more than most South American countries currency, so I doubt there is much motivation there.

The only place I can really think of where that might be the case is Canada, and I really wouldn't call them foreigners, they're just about the exact same as us :).

Also, I don't think it's that there's a lot of people from out-of-country in the crowds, it's just that you tend to notice them more than those who talk without an accent or in the same language.

And plus, you have to remember that there's Disney parks all over the world. If I were to go to Disney Paris or the one in Japan (couldn't bring the name to mind), then I'm sure that I would be considered a foreigner.

Point in case, there really is no foreigner in any Disney park, just those sharing a magical experience :thumbsup:.

The thing with the exchange rate is that clearly 1 dollar is still worth more than 1 unit of many other currencies but the exchange rate is favourable when compared to recent averages. This way foreign visitors get a lot more holiday for their money compared to a couple of years ago. For example, we usually budget £3000 UKP for a 2 week trip and in 2005 that bought about $5000 but this year it gets us nearly $6000. So after the flights are paid for we have nearly $1000 more to spend on the hotel and pocket money or we can keep the change. I don't know how the relative position of other exchange rates compare to recent averages but for the UK visitor (Which I understand is one of the largest markets) now is much cheaper than normal. I dare say that this would have an effect on crowd sizes.
As for Paris, We are planning to visit soon but I just can't see how it can live up to WDW.

KatGat
02-22-2008, 08:54 AM
With all due respect...Give me a break. I didn't think the original's posters question was not misworded. How is that any different from asking if the crowds will be heavier in April because of the influx of teens for Grad Night? And why do so many responses have the word foreigner in quotes? There's nothing politically incorrect about using the word foreigner.
We were there the first week of February and it WAS much more crowded than anticipated. But many of those visitors were from Louisiana. When you see a sea of purple and gold (go tigers!) and Mardi Gras colors, you know LA has arrived. :mickey:The CMs commented often to us about how many Louisianians were visiting. We did hear a few Spanish speaking visitors, but everyone was having a good time, so it was all good:D

TheDuckRocks
02-22-2008, 10:09 AM
It just dawned on me, my DH and I are planning a cruise to Europe in the fall of 2009 and we are going to be foreigners and tourists.:joy: I can hardly wait!

Mommyx2
02-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Oh yes! We were there the first week in January and the amount of foreigners that were there was insane! I have never seen DW that crowded nor have I saw so many foreigners there either. Our entire family felt like foreigners in our own country. It was odd for us to run into someone that actually spoke English. I have nothing against foreigners, but a lot of them we were close to for parades, etc were VERY rude, even their children. I couldn't believe it. Their children were pushing my children out of the way so THEY could see the parade leaving my children and another american families children not being able to see the parade unless we held them. Who wants to hold a very heavy 6 year old, 4 year old and 18 month old during an entire parade. It was just very frustrating. We had this happen more than once. There was also several foreign children who passed us in line while waiting to meet characters. They would look at us and if we didn't say anything, they would look at each other and laugh. All while the parents were watching them do this. You hate to be ugly to someone, especially kids who are excited to see Mickey, but hey, my kids are just as excited and have waited MUCH longer!

DisneyFanaticDargon
02-22-2008, 10:22 AM

From what I understand isn't the USD just weaker than the EUR at the moment? I know it's on par with the CND and valued higher than the AUD, and it's definitely not the new Yuan so I doubt it would make THAT much of an impact.

MNNHFLTX
02-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Moderator Warning--

Please folks, let's not stray off-topic. It may be that the use of the word "foreigner" has touched a few buttons here, but the original poster is clearly just asking whether the weakened US dollar is pulling in more international tourists than before and increasing the crowds at the parks.

Sunshine1010
02-22-2008, 11:42 AM
I agree. The OP didn't mean a thing.

In fact, on my recent trip report that I typed up from my January visit --- if you read it --- I mentioned the fact that there were many tourists from other countries. In fact, I think --- if I'm remembering correctly --- that I wrote that a good 45% of the people there spoke a different language.

So - a simple question to a simple answer -------Yes, the crowds were affected by foreign tourists.

Again ---- I feel in my heart that OP didn't mean anything negatively about it at all. I feel bad that they are getting all this feedback.

And --- I'm apparently not up to date on the politically correct word to be used here. I don't think the word 'foreigners' is a negative word. CNN uses it every day.

Have a good day everyone!!!

Mickey'sGirl
02-22-2008, 12:04 PM
This happy foreigner will be down in just over 2 weeks....enjoying an at-par dollar exchange! :party: I am sure that the weakened American dollar has influenced vacation plans worldwide! I personally know of several families who have recently visited, or who are currently planning visits to the World based on the strength of the Canadian dollar!

trennedy
02-22-2008, 01:07 PM
I went to college in Australia and my college flat mate was here over New Year's for almost a month. She brought her DH, DD and DS because they were so excited to show the children Disney World.
They loved showing our country to their children and but the highlight was, of course, Disney.

EeyoresBestFriend
02-22-2008, 03:35 PM
I think the combination of the dollar and the deals Disney has been putting on have been encouraging people to vacation.:mickey:
Myself, and I'm sure other Canadian addicts, can verify that even when it cost us - we were still there!:cloud9:
The worst exchange I've ever had to pay was $1.63 for every US buck! Ouch!!
Glad those days are over! :thumbsup:

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
02-22-2008, 03:48 PM
I was not offended, I was just joking around ;) I realized no harm or offense was meant :)

As someone posted earlier, the trip to Orlando takes a long time from Europe. It usually takes me 16 hours to get to Orlando!
However, this does not stop me from going. It takes almost 6 hours to drive to Disneyland Paris for me, so 10 hours more for the biggest Disney-area in the world is more than worth it :thumbsup:
And the weak dollar is simply a very cool bonus for me. My euro is worth 1,50 Dollars so my money is almost doubled..this allows for more souvenirs :D