PDA

View Full Version : tipping and buffets

wdwvacationeer
02-18-2008, 10:20 PM
I am wondering- do you tip the same amount for buffets as for other restaurants where the servers bring everything to you. Just wondering.

Tink&Goofy
02-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Normally, no, but it depends on the service provided. Since they usually only bring drinks, refills, clear plates, etc., I don't believe it can be compared to a table service restaurant where the server does that PLUS takes the order and brings the order. But there are times when the buffet server has provided exception service, and thus deserves a larger tip.

NJ Camper
02-18-2008, 10:50 PM
I agree 100% that is how I base my tip yeah buffets generally get less but if they go the extra mile then I do alsosame with table service if they don't seem to care then the tip reflects there service

Jared
02-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Contrary to what the rules of the Disney Dining Plan may suggest, I don't think it's appropriate to tip servers at buffets the same amount as their counterparts at traditional table service restaurants. Simply, I don't think they work as hard.

I understand it's not necessarily the servers' fault they are working at Crystal Palace instead of Flying Fish Cafe, but I don't think it's fair to the waiter taking my order, recommending dishes and bringing me food to receive the same tip as the waiter clearing plates and refilling drinks.

MissT
02-20-2008, 10:55 AM
We tip slightly less at a buffet but what is traditionally expected at a buffet and table service. At buffets, their tables are turned over faster than table service. For example, when we go to CP, we are out in an hour. At CG, we dine and enjoy our meal longer. So I feel that we pay more for a tip if we are taking up their table time longer. Just a thought.

playdead88
02-20-2008, 11:04 AM
as a former waitress and bartender i have to say no matter the type of restaurant you choose your waiter or waitress is working just as hard - it may be that the sections are bigger at a buffet so 1 waitress may have 10 tables where at a "off the menu" restaurant the waitress may only have 4-5 tables - whatever the situation remember that the hourly wage for a waiter or waitress is normally way below min wage because they get tips so if your service was good 20% of the total bill, before any coupons, is what the tip should be - just remember 2$ for every 10$ you spend :thumbsup:

Young@Heart
02-20-2008, 11:11 AM
We're planning about 15% for buffets and 18%-20% for other TS meals. :mickey:

AdventurelandTikiGirl
02-20-2008, 11:45 AM
We always tip the same at buffets as we would for TS. Even though they aren't taking orders and serving food, they're working hard, if not harder because they visit our table many times and, at Disney, the plates have always been cleared in a timely manner. With one sad exception we had a Boma, our waiters have always been very friendly and efficient, and have earned 20%.

Jared
02-20-2008, 12:15 PM
as a former waitress and bartender i have to say no matter the type of restaurant you choose your waiter or waitress is working just as hard - it may be that the sections are bigger at a buffet so 1 waitress may have 10 tables where at a "off the menu" restaurant the waitress may only have 4-5 tables - whatever the situation remember that the hourly wage for a waiter or waitress is normally way below min wage because they get tips so if your service was good 20% of the total bill, before any coupons, is what the tip should be - just remember 2$ for every 10$ you spend :thumbsup:
I understand what you're saying, but I simply disagree. Honestly, I won't tip 20 percent anywhere, buffet or not. I'll go up to 18 percent for exceptional service, but I'm generally setting on 15 percent. That's what I was always taught, and that's the rule I will abide by.

AvonleaCF
02-20-2008, 01:45 PM
I usually do 10% for a buffet; 15-20% for a regular restaurant, depending on service.

thrillme
02-20-2008, 01:54 PM
It all depends on the "buffet" service. Sometimes they're terrible about removing plates. It's like they remove them only if they're going to be in the area. Drinks...If I have to snag a waiter/waitress and ASK more than once or if I've been sitting on "empty" for a signifiant length of time....

I'm sorry...bottom line if I have to get up and get my own food and sometimes even get my own drinks...no I'm not going to tip as much as if I had FULL service. Now I have had an exceptional waiter/waitress at the buffet places that have never let my drink run dry and have removed my dishes by the time I've gotten back or sooner...THEN I'll probably leave about 15-20%. But they've GOT to be really good.

Seasonscraps
02-20-2008, 02:47 PM
I still tip the same for a buffet as I would for a table service restaurant. The wait staff takes drink orders, clears plates and bring the check. That's what I expect when I go to a buffet - as long as that is done in a timely/reasonable fashion I tip accordingly. I chose to go to a restaurant where I get my own food so that's on me. Also, The price is generally less then a TS restaurant for the variety and portions so I figure I am ahead that way too.

CleveSJM
02-20-2008, 03:02 PM
For good service, 14-15% for Buffet, 19-20% for TS. They simply don't work as hard on MY TABLE as a TS. If they have more tables, then they "catch up" to the TS staff and 15% is correct.

For poor service, 10% at either. Hope it sends a message.

For terrible service, $1. It sends a message.

TBY2225
02-20-2008, 03:28 PM
I have always left 10% at buffets and 15% at TS resturants in all places, not just Disney. I do on occasion leave more if the service is exceptional, and I will continue to do so. I didn't know that people did any different until I started reading threads on Intercot. No disrespect to anyone, but growing up my parents left $1 per person at the table for a tip. It didn't matter if it was a buffet or a fancy place. I guess that was how they were raised. I am not saying that servers don't work hard, but so do I and I have added it up and if they have 5-6 tables each and get 18%-20% tip plus a small stipend, they make alot more money than I do!