PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the Longest Dining Reviews You'll Ever See!

TheDuckRocks
02-18-2008, 11:42 AM
I just wanted to do a very brief review of our recent dining adventures at WDW and I’m sorry but this just kept growing. There were 6 of us in total myself, my hubby, our daughter, our son-in-law, our grandson 12 and granddaughter 10. We were all on the 2008 regular DDP (no appetizer and no tip). This was a first time visit to WDW for my daughter’s family,

With pre-planning and sharing meals at times and paying out of pocket for the least expensive meals, here’s what we were able to do.

Table Service:
* Ohana – The food here was very good and I’m happy that we got to enjoy the shrimp from the grill. The kids had a great time with the coconut races. The favorite of everyone was the bread pudding, we even asked for seconds. The only negative thing was our waitress telling us repeatedly that the tip was an automatic 18% for a party of 6 but we could add more to the bill. Pretty pushy.

Boma – Well, I’m not sure what the deal was here the food has either gone down in quality, we hit a bad night or my DH and I have burned ourselves out coming here. I can’t fault any one thing but it didn’t seem as good as usual. My DD told me that they couldn’t understand why we and other friends have been raving about Boma. Unfortunately I had to agree. Once again the waitress pointedly told us that an additional tip could be added to the bill. Then when we opened the bill she had printed out a little poem type thing about hoping she had enriched our dining experience, that she was wishing us well in life and that she thanked us for our generosity. I’m sorry but to me that just crossed some kind of line. I wish I would have kept the thing so I could quote it exactly.

* Liberty Tree Tavern – I’m happy to say that this place never fails to provide a lot of good food that reminds you of going to grandma’s house for Sunday dinner. Two thumbs up for us this time….. we asked for seconds of salad.

* Mama Melrose – Fantasmic! Dinner Package – What a pleasant surprise, when you use the DDP for the dinner package an appetizer is included with your meal. Once again we had a great meal, the food was excellent, our waiter was wonderful and the Sangria is refreshing. A word of warning for the wimps among us the Italian sausage with pasta dish I had was very spicy, I loved it but it was hot.

* San Angel Inn – Call me crazy but I’ve never had a bad meal at SAI. I know that they get very mixed reviews, the food is not what you get at our local Mexican restaurant, they are very pricey but we’ve always enjoyed our meal. Or maybe it has something to do with the margarita……no, no that’s not right.

* Coral Reef – This was the absolute dining highlight of our entire trip. After hearing so many mixed reviews for Coral Reef I’ve always put off going there. It just goes to prove what I’ve always felt that when someplace sounds like you might like it….to give it a shot. You just might get a very happy surprise and if it’s a bad experience what’s one meal in your life time, certainly not enough to get terribly upset with. Just never go back there again. My DGD and I shared a NY Strip Steak which was also what my DSIL ordered. At 12-oz I knew that it would be plenty for the 2 of us. Everyone else ordered the King crab legs. Before the entrees we ordered salads or soup for everyone OOP. No one was disappointed and later when we were talking about what was our favorite meal Coral Reef came in as number 1 with everyone. The only mild complaint I have is that the restaurant is very loud. The service we received was wonderful and the kids had great time “fishing” for all the different things in the tank, it made the time until the food was served fly by.

1900 Park Fare – Cinderella was whiney, Prince Charming was a dud, the food was just so-so, the room they hold this in is over lighted and boring and the service was almost non-existent. Obviously this will not ever be on a repeat list for us.

* Sci Fi Dine In – Once again this is another very mixed reviews place, but we have always gotten good food, attentive service and good heavens you sure can’t beat the atmosphere. My DH and I did get in trouble from our DD for necking in the back seat. It was only done as a visual aid when she asked me if people really did go to see movies that are so obviously bad. I can not understand why she got so up tight, you’d think she was my mother or something.
* Tutto Italia – After our disappointment with the closing of Alfredo’s we were very happy to find Tutto Italia wonderful. This meal was just my DH and me as the rest of the group left for home and we were staying one more night before going on a 4 night Disney cruise. We liked everything about this new restaurant from the weeding out of some of the tables so you have more room to the yummy food to the friendly wait staff. I knew we were off to a good start when the bread basket came with the best ever bread sticks. Our appetizers of Prosciutto di Parma and Fresh Mozzarella did not disappoint. I got Trofie and my DH Bucatini Gratinati for our entrees. I must say though mine was good what he got was absolutely the winner and it was so large that next time we will split it. Dinner ended with Mocha Tiramisu for DH and blood orange Sorbetti for me a prefect end to a perfect meal. When we went to leave it was pouring down rain and one of the waiters came over to us and found us a place to sit and wait until the deluge ended. Now that is truly going above and beyond in customer service.

Continued below........

TheDuckRocks
02-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Donald’s Safari Breakfast @ Tusker House – Being a huge Donald fan on each trip I’ve had to go have breakfast with Donald and have always been pleased. This time with the move to Tusker House I was very much looking forward to going here. First the positives; the character interaction was great and the food station layout is really good. But as good as that was it sure doesn’t out weigh the fact that the food was awful and seemed “old”. We had 8AM ADRs so everything should have been fresh but most of the casserole type dishes and the egg things were very dried out looking and tasting, a lot of the fruit was under ripe and the pastries were stale. From now on I guess I’m just going to hunt down the Duck elsewhere.

* Crystal Palace – Wow!!! There were just my DH, DD, DGD and me for breakfast this morning as the other 2 were on the train tour. This was just one of those experiences where everything exceeds your expectations. The restaurant itself is beautiful, the characters were adorable and the food was absolute heaven. Again……WOW!!!

* Boatwright’s – I’m happily reporting that of our 3 times dining here this trip (2 for breakfast and once for dinner) we were not disappointed. Need I say more than sweet potato pancakes and it just gets better from there.

* Marrakesh – Going for lunch at Marrakesh was a completely spur of the moment decision for my DH, DD and me while the rest of the group were staying at Future World. My daughter had never had Moroccan food before so we were off on an adventure. We were all very pleased with the meal, not served one thing we didn’t like, the beautiful room and fun of a belly dancer, what a great way to visit the World.

Counter Service
Lunch:
* POFQ - Just have to stop here to get my Muffaletta fix. Can you believe I got hooked on these when we were living in Hawaii? One of the local restaurants hired a chef from New Orleans and he immediately added these to the lunch menu, lucky us. The other items also received good reviews from all.
* Pizzafari – Just my DH stopping here to share a Hot Italian Style sandwich, very tasty.
Pecos Bills – The hamburgers, chicken wrap and BBQ pork sandwich were all very good, the taco salad my DH was nasty so I know we’ll not be going back here again.
* Main Street Bakery – This had to be the best CS deal we came across. We were able to get one of their huge wonderful sandwiches and a pick of any dessert item they had. With 6 of us picking different desserts and sharing bites………Oh, my!

Breakfast:
ABC Commissary – This has got to be the worst breakfast option at any of the parks or resorts. They have a very limited menu, it could not have been over 5 items and it took forever to get our food. I can not believe we wasted a CS credit on this stuff. Yeah, we ate it but we were really, really, really hungry. Hunger can make you do strange things.
* POFQ - Mickey waffles, omelets, breakfast platters and beignets, all fresh and good.
POR – Take the walk down to POFQ if you’re staying at POR the food is fresher and the room is nicer.

* - We look forward to going back here in the future.

Our cost for the DDP: $1671.56
Total amount for food eaten on DDP (including tax): $2199.38
Amount we saved using DDP for us: $ 527.82

We ordered what we wanted from the menu – not what was the most expensive.
This did not include any meals or items that we paid for out of pocket.
Was it worth it for us even considering all the detailed planning it took to figure out how to best utilize the plan? OH, yeah!!!

Crow
02-18-2008, 12:02 PM
thanks for the report. Ive eaten at some of those places also.
Marrakesh was almost the best dinner of last trip. Coral Reef wasnt bad but doubt ill go back soon
didnt get back to Pecos Bills last few trips but may next wk.
thinkin of given Tutto a try mayb or San Angel again

#1donaldfan
02-18-2008, 12:27 PM
We've eaten at most of those you mentioned and I agree with most.....we just have to part ways when it comes to San Angel Inn......I do love the atmosphere, none much better anywhere, but the food is not even close to being "sub par"....it's off the chart bad. It is not even close to being authentic, it's just bad, but that is my opinion and that of our family.... 10 of us absolutley detested it......sorry to be so "hard" on 'em, it's just so horrible, but maybe it was just a wrong time and waiter, I just am too scared to try again....?????

Kairi_7378
02-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the detailed reviews! It's great that you were able to try so many different places. Thanks for sharing!

scottgr
02-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks for all the great reviews. :mickey: I love the Coral Reef. I can't want to eat there in OCT.

DisneyorBust
02-18-2008, 01:15 PM
I appreciate that you took the time to write such excellent reviews!

wendy*darling
02-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the great reviews. :thumbsup:

DH & I share your opinion of San Angel, Crystal Palace, Marrakesh and Sci Fi- we enjoy them all!
I think we will have to give Liberty Tree Tavern and Coral Reef a try this year too.
Sad to hear about your experience at Boma and Tusker House this time. Hopefully those were just "off" days for them.

January-2007
02-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the great reviews! Glad you had a good time!

KarenP
02-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Excellent reviews! Thanks for sharing.

I am so glad to hear you liked Tutto Italia. My experience there was the same as yours. The food was very good and the service was excellent.

After reading your reviews, I am definitley going to have to try Liberty Tree Tavern and Coral Reef.

tinksmom02
02-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the great reviews!

Marrakesh was a spur of the moment stop for us in September, and it was one of the better meals we'd had.

While it seems we had better character interaction at 1900, I agree with you about the food. It was just OK...our server was wonderful, though. Have you tried breakfast there, with Mary Poppins and friends? I thought that was a MUCH better meal.

CP and Ohanas were our two favorites from September!

Glad you had a good time!

Jared
02-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to write these reviews, and I'm glad the Disney Dining Plan worked for your group.

I'm most disappointed to read about your mediocre experience at Boma because it's arguably my favorite restaurant in Disney. Perhaps it's a good thing it doesn't fit in our schedule for our May vacation.

poeticeclipse
02-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm always impressed with Coral Reef but I do have to agree with you on the noise level. They need to put some "sound soakers" on the wall. Like what they use in concert halls and choral rooms. That would seriously make a difference.

We weren't impressed with Boma either. I tried so many things and I felt like things didn't fit together. The tastes one after another in my mouth just didn't work for me. The salmon was delicious though. The big bummer for me was the soup... it just didn't do anything for me. And I tried two of them.

Mackflava99
02-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for taking the time to do that-

Its funny about what you said about certain places that get mixed reviews. In my opinion, most places need 2 chances to see if they are really bad or else it was just a bad day or incident. I have always found Sci fi to have very good food and excellent service, so i agree-

Again thanks for taking the time to do this !!

Bethis26fan
02-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the review. :mickey:

ljv1975
02-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for your reviews. We are eating at a few of these places when we leave in a week and a half. It seems like you had mostly good experiences!! :thumbsup:

adoptionislove
02-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the reviews!

We are trying Liberty Tree Tavern for the 1st time in March and I am now soooo excited!!!

Michelle

SBETigg
02-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the reviews. So weird about your Boma server giving you a poem! How tacky. That would have rubbed me the wrong way, too.

jillluvsdisney
02-19-2008, 07:00 PM
I love it when people go dining reviews. Thanks

TBY2225
02-20-2008, 08:46 AM
I really enjoyed reading your dining reviews! Thanks for sharing!

lighteningqueen
02-20-2008, 03:45 PM
We went the second week in Dec, it was our first trip to the world. I thought I had done a good job of making res at the best places but most nights we went hungry. Chef Mickeys was delight for our grandson but the food was nothing more that hospital quality food very bland and cold. Ohanas the best of the trip it was great. better than great.Whispering canyon food was ok was told we couldnt have the skillet becasue we were on the dining plan still not sure about that. Had no waiter interaction at all. Very quiet night at most all tables. Didnt work for their tip at all. Sci Fi was great on the burgers just an ordinary waitress said very little showed up very little and there were only 10 tables in there at lunch tht day, would go back for those great angus burgers.50's Prime great Roast but our waiter only came to get our order and after 30 minutes our drinks then our food no he didnt even bring the food. Did not interact at all very boring for us as the other tables had great waiters. Trails End and San Angel. THE WORST of the whole trip. It was not even mexican food nor any countrys food just awful as most all tables felt in our room, we were by the restroom dark corner couldnt even see the food. hum wonder why???? Trails end old food, cold and bland this was at 7pm so not to early not to late just bad. Bomas will not return weirdest food in the trip. Didnt eat a bite full of all the things I tried and nothing was good most of the buffet was empty, cold, domes were nothing like people make them out to be. Just sorry it was weird we wont go back. So this Dec we are going to use our TS meals at breakfast meals and then use CS for our evening meals. I think breakfast cannot be too messed up. But O'hanas here we come again...If you like regular, but good tasting food and are from Southern states where good food is all around, think about the Mexican and the Trails end before you waste time at them.

tjstrike
02-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Thought I'd add on alittle to this review since we just got back Sunday.

Spirit of Aloha - Bad food - Bad show

Ohana's - Great food - great family fun :thumbsup:

Liberty tree tavern - good food :thumbsup:

Yak & Yeti - Bad service - Food o.k

Chef Mickey's - Over priced Shoneys w/ characters

Biergarten - Good food - Good service and show :thumbsup: