PDA

View Full Version : Are ADR's that important?

bc002k
02-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Last time I went with my best friend in May, we didn't make any reservations before the trip. We did 'em all from the hotel room when we got there, and had no trouble getting them at California Grill, Flying Fish, Coral Reef, Le Cellier, Boma, etc.

merlinmagic4
02-18-2008, 07:23 AM
:welcome: I guess for you they weren't important! :) I think in general it's a good idea to make them ASAP if you know where you want to eat and when. I am going during a busier time and I tried making ADRs 3 months ahead and really couldn't get anything I wanted. Well, they did have lots of dinner seatings at 9pm but with small children that is way too late. I think it really depends on when you are going and if you can eat at later hours. Good luck!

Kairi_7378
02-18-2008, 07:26 AM
I think it really depends on your vacation style. If you want a sit down meal every night, or prefer to eat at a certain time, then ADR's are necessary at most restaurants. LeCellier is supposed to be nearly impossible to get into without an ADR from 180 days in advance! That being said, cancellations do happen and it looks like you were able to snag a reservation during one of those times. If you're the type of vacationer that isn't really tied to a schedule and wants to wing it, I don't think ADR's are essential as long as you are flexible (and don't mind falling back on CS meals if nothing is available.)

mickey&missy
02-18-2008, 07:48 AM
My recommendation would be that if your traveling with kids and/or want to eat at specific places make ADR's. If you can be flexible about place and time then you might not need to eat them. As long as you won't be disappointed if you have to eat a counter service meal instead of sitdown.

vamaggie
02-18-2008, 08:32 AM
If it's just you and a friend (easier to seat 2 vs 4 or greater) and you are very flexible about where and what time you eat and you are not concerned about getting into a TS place each day and don't have any "must do's" than you can probably wing it and not make ADRs. If however you have kids, have specific plans and want to eat at reasonable times or on the dining plan than I say you really need ADRs. Better to make the ADRs and cancel if plans change than be tired, hungry and forced into CS again.

Speedy1998
02-18-2008, 08:49 AM
It entirely depends on the time of year you are going and which restaurants you want to go to. Also, how recently was your last trip?

Since the advent of (DDP) Disney Dining plan it has been much more difficult to get into the TS restaurants. We used to only make ADRs for the character meals and walk up to everything else, since DDP came along we make ADRs for everything.

sillyolbear
02-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Good feedback so far. A lot depends on your flexibility. If you don't have your heart set on a particular restaurant at a particular time, then taking what is open is a good option. Only hiccup could be if you are there during a free dining promotion or a really heavy crowd period.

RoosMomKanga
02-18-2008, 09:24 AM
We just returned and hadn't been in three years (and I know there was some version of dining plan then, right?). I can tell you that I noticed a significant difference in trying to get ADR's at places. Last two trips were very similar: Jan/Feb. (not busy weeks or holidays), just DH and I (2 people), tried to book ADR's about 1-2 months ahead, and we were very flexible on time. It was WAY more difficult this trip and we even tried walk-ups at some of the one's we couldn't get ADR's for- no way. I'd highly recommend ADR's as soon as you can get them!

Tygger7
02-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Just a guess, but I think getting the ADR's you did on your May trip are attributed to:

1. Cancellations
2. You were able to dine at "off" times, or lunch
3. Luck

I'm going in early May and called right at the 180 day mark to make my ADR's. Even calling that early, I couldn't get my first choice of times for Cali Grill, Rose & Crowne, or Le Cellier.

My advice would be to make reservations (or at least try to) at the places you really want to experience so you have some guarantees. You can always cancel if you change plans. I just wouldn't count on getting all the ADR's you want at the last minute again....possible, but highly unlikely.

Jared
02-18-2008, 10:00 AM
I don't know when you last went, but the dining situation is pretty crazy now because of this blasted plan. My family and I just thought of the idea to visit Disney in May this weekend, so we obviously have no reservations yet. I'm calling today because I'm actually worried all our favorites will be completely booked already.

So I definitely recommend calling and making arrangements unless you're willing to eat at strange times.

AllDisney
02-18-2008, 01:03 PM
We always make reservations ahead of time.

I like knowing that at the end of the day I have a nice dinner planned at one of the many TS restaurants that WDW has. We have always made our dinners at WDW TS, even when we took our daughter there when she was little. We try to get reservations around 6:30, but are flexible. If they tell us 7:30 than that is fine with us:party:

I would not take the chance during our vacation that we'd be able to call one of the restaurants and walk in for dinner that very night. I think those days are history.

Speedy1998
02-18-2008, 01:18 PM
(and I know there was some version of dining plan then, right?).

There was, but it had just started to catch on as the thing to do. It seem like when I went in 2005 most people were paying out of pocket, but when I went a year later, most people were using DDP.

PoohsGang
02-18-2008, 02:31 PM
We just got back last night from the World. We did not make ADR's for the 8 days we were there and we found it hard to find a place to eat for dinner. We had no problem for lunch just walking up and getting a table. We basically had our big meal at lunch and ate counter service for dinner.

bc002k
02-18-2008, 06:26 PM
This was 3 years ago (almost); so yes, it was before they offered the Dining Plan.

Hull-onian
02-18-2008, 07:27 PM
I say "Yes" to ADR's if you want to guarentee yourself a good meal.:eat:

carrieb
02-22-2008, 08:05 PM
We're going early May - as a party of NINE!!!
I don't understand why we are having a hard time getting ADRs.

HAHAHAHAHAHA:mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-22-2008, 08:14 PM
We're going early May - as a party of NINE!!!
I don't understand why we are having a hard time getting ADRs.

HAHAHAHAHAHA:mickey:

We found out last year, the hard way, that if you have more than 4 you have to have a reservation or they won't seat you.

jszczur5
02-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Last time I went with my best friend in May, we didn't make any reservations before the trip. We did 'em all from the hotel room when we got there, and had no trouble getting them at California Grill, Flying Fish, Coral Reef, Le Cellier, Boma, etc.

Wow I want to travel with you. We always go at the end of August/beginning of September and the parks are mobbed (must be the free dining). Last year I made ADR's in April, and although we got into all of our chosen restaurants, for half of them, we were eating very early or very late.

bc002k
02-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Wow I want to travel with you. We always go at the end of August/beginning of September and the parks are mobbed (must be the free dining). Last year I made ADR's in April, and although we got into all of our chosen restaurants, for half of them, we were eating very early or very late.

Well like I said, this was prior to the advent of the Dining Plan. It was in the middle of May, 2005.

We're going again this year around the same time. We haven't officially booked yet, but now I'm a little freaked out that we're going to get shut out of some restaurants.

But again, there's only TWO of us, and we're not picky about times. If we have to eat at 8 pm, we'll deal with it. It's a lot easier to book a party of two than a party of 4 or 5. So hopefully we'll get reservations at most of the good restaurants (California Grill, Le Cellier, etc.) if we book within the next couple weeks. The food is the best part of the WDW, so the last thing we want to do is have to eat dinner at Toy Story Pizza Planet.

SurferStitch
02-24-2008, 11:33 AM
But again, there's only TWO of us, and we're not picky about times. If we have to eat at 8 pm, we'll deal with it. It's a lot easier to book a party of two than a party of 4 or 5. So hopefully we'll get reservations at most of the good restaurants (California Grill, Le Cellier, etc.) if we book within the next couple weeks. The food is the best part of the WDW, so the last thing we want to do is have to eat dinner at Toy Story Pizza Planet.

Try more like 9 or 10 pm for the more popular places. We decided about 45 days ago that we wanted to eat at Le Cellier for dinner. Nothing but a couple late lunch times were available for our entire trip (5/4-5/10). Cali Grill was also booked up pretty good, but we got the time we wanted (That was around 125 days before our trip). We then cancelled it for a second dinner at Narcoossee's. We got it, but had to be a little flexible with the time.

I didn't have a hard time switching a few things around a couple weeks ago, but things can definitely be different now. I switched days for 'Ohana and Crystal Palace and got the times I wanted.

Start booking ASAP. The longer you wait, the more flexible you need to be, and will most likely not get some of your most desirable locations.

Tygger7
02-24-2008, 11:42 AM
If you want to go in May, don't wait another minute to book. I booked our May dining ressies at the 180 mark exactly and couldn't get my first choices of times at Le Cellier or California Grill.

bc002k
02-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Try more like 9 or 10 pm for the more popular places. We decided about 45 days ago that we wanted to eat at Le Cellier for dinner. Nothing but a couple late lunch times were available for our entire trip (5/4-5/10). Cali Grill was also booked up pretty good, but we got the time we wanted (That was around 125 days before our trip). We then cancelled it for a second dinner at Narcoossee's. We got it, but had to be a little flexible with the time.

I didn't have a hard time switching a few things around a couple weeks ago, but things can definitely be different now. I switched days for 'Ohana and Crystal Palace and got the times I wanted.

Start booking ASAP. The longer you wait, the more flexible you need to be, and will most likely not get some of your most desirable locations.

How many people are in your party?

aurorafan
02-24-2008, 11:18 PM
My best friend and I just got back from a President's week trip that we didn't book until 16 days ahead of time. As soon as I knew we were going I called and basically threw stuff at the wall to see what would stick, and I was quite surprised and pleased with the results :). If there are only 2 of you and you are flexible you shouldn't have too many problems. We couldn't get into Le Cellier or CRT, but we did get Teppan Edo, Tutto Italia, Yak & Yeti, Coral Reef (only lunch was available which was fine), Kona Cafe and Crystal Palace with no problems. We were able to rebook tea at the GF (she got sick the day we were supposed to go) and we rescheduled Yak & Yeti to a later time, all when we were at the parks, and had no problems. This was during one of the busier times of year, so you may have some luck too :mickey:

bc002k
02-25-2008, 07:03 AM
Yeah, we'll try our luck. I had an issue with my job, that's why we haven't booked yet. Otherwise we would've done it a month or so ago. Le Cellier seems like a long shot. As I recall, it was booked up last time we went for dinner, but we did hit it for lunch.

I'm hoping California Grill has something available..same with Boma. Those are the only 2 restaurants, off the top of my head, that I'll be really disappointed if we don't get to return there this year. We'll see.

SurferStitch
02-25-2008, 07:12 AM
How many people are in your party?

Just the two of us.