View Full Version : Pixie dust for my little puppy

02-17-2008, 11:31 PM
I am in need of much pixie dust. I know many people will think it silly, but it is for my dog. He is a 4 year old Silky Terrier and he ate a box of valentines chocolate that I had in my bag. It was sealed shut, and on a chair, but the little determined guy that he is knocked it over and tore it opened. He is currently at the emergency vet. They are trying their best to help him but is is very small (10 lbs.). I feel horrible. I have lectured my DS and DD from day one not to let chocolate be out in our house.....and I'm the one that did it. I am thankful that my DD (8) is sleeping at my parents tonight because she doesn't have school tomorrow. I don't think I could explain it to her without losing it.
Let this be a lesson to all of you...take care of your puppys:sob:

My DH says not to feel guilty that it was an accident and dogs do these things, but I just needed to see if writing helped me feel better.

I'll let you know what happens....

02-18-2008, 07:46 AM
:pixie: my thoughts are with you. I hope he is OK

02-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Sending lots of heavy duty doggy :pixie: for your little guy. I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I hope that it all turns out well for him and for your family.

02-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Sending loads of :pixie: from my two furbabies and myself to your little furbaby. Let us know how he's doing please.

02-18-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm so sorry this happened to your poor baby. I hope he feels better soon.
I know it is hard not to blame yourself but it really isn't your fault. You had no way of knowing that he could get a sealed package opened.
My mom has a Brittany Spaniel that is the perfect dog except for her absolute obsession with chocolate. She has also opened a box of chocolate covered cherries and eaten then all leaving the wrappers completely in place. My mom blamed my dad for eating an entire box of chocolates. The dog also drank half a mocha coffee coolata from dunkin donuts. It was in the cup holder and mom ran into the gas station to pay and came out and she had lapped it all up.
They are sneaky little buggers.
I hope he is feeling better soon and home snuggling with you.

02-18-2008, 10:35 AM
:pixie: for your precious puppy.

02-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Loads of :paw: :pixie: coming your way. Accidents do happen and I know how bad we can feel when it's with our pups. Hopefully there were not too many dark chocolates b/c that is the chocolate that is more harmful than milk chocolate. We have Yorkies here so I know how those terriers can just steal your heart.
Please let us know how he's doing. :pixie:

02-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Sending more :pixie:. Poor baby! I love my little dog so I know what it's like when something bad happens to the poor things. Pumpkin sends :paw::pixie: too. Keep us posted!

02-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your pup getting into those chocolates. Please don't beat up on yourself though--many dogs have one-track minds when it comes to their stomachs and will find a way to get to food, no matter what it is or whether it's good for them.


02-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Hope your pup is doing better today!

It is amazing how attached we get to our pets and so it is normal to be hard on yourself when something bad happens. However, as others have already said, animals have a one track mind when it comes to food. There is no reasonable way you could have anticipated this happening. Good luck and be sure to let us know how your baby does.:pixie:

02-18-2008, 02:42 PM
I hope your dog feels better today. And I agree with your husband....don't beat yourself up over this. It's not like you left those candies laying out on the floor in an open box! Your dog had to work hard to get them! BTW....what's your dog's name?

02-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Accidents happen, don't blame yourself. :pixie::pixie::pixie:and prayers on the way. Let us know please.

02-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Thank you all so much for the thoughts and such kind words. It is a good day, finally. I called the vet last night at midnight and again at 3:30 am.. At first they were afraid that Wrigley was going to have a seisure. Unfortunately he did have dark chocolate.

After having his stomach pumped, :sick:, taking nausea meds, anti-seisure meds and charcoal, his heart rate started going down.

I was able to pick him up this morning. :yay: He has spent most of the day sleeping.

Again, thanks for the wonderful pixie dust. Wrigley thanks you too!!:paw:

And for anyone who doesn't know that chocolate can really hurt or kill a dog, maybe this can help another sweet puppy!!!


02-18-2008, 05:45 PM
:yay: Once again the powerful Intercot :pixie: does it's thing!! Tracey, I am so happy for your family and poor little Wrigley that this is going to have a happy ending. Thanks for the update.

02-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Great news, I'm so happy. Thanks for the update:mickey:

02-18-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm glad your pup was ok and I love his name. :paw::dog::puppy:

02-18-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm so glad your pup is OK...he'll probably be sleeping for a long while, working off those meds LOL

As others have said, don't be too hard on yourself. It was an accident--for heaven's sake the candy box was SEALED! You should really be proud of yourself for getting him medical attention so quickly!

I hope he feels better soon!

02-19-2008, 08:09 AM
I'm glad to hear that Wrigley is home again! Love that name!

02-19-2008, 12:15 PM
So glad to hear he is doing better. I was afraid he did have the dark chocolates:( Usually those boxes have a mix. I was hoping he skipped them like I do:blush: May this be your only incident that you have! Trust me we've all had our pups get into something or accidentally hurt them. It does happen the important thing is that you care. Hope you are feeling better about it too.

02-19-2008, 12:27 PM
I am so very glad to hear that Wrigley is doing better! Hearing that just made my day a little brighter too! :)

02-20-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm so glad your furbaby is ok it's a scarey thing but not your fault. Dogs get into everything they aren't supposed to.

02-20-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm so happy to read that Wrigley is doing well! Give him some hugs and pats from me and my two furbabies!!!! :puppy: