PDA

View Full Version : Discovery River Boats?

Dakota Rose
02-17-2008, 05:55 PM
I didn't know if I should post this here or in News/Rumours, so....

Does anyone know anything about the Discovery River Boats? Any word if they'll ever re-open? Why did they close anyway?

DizneyRox
02-17-2008, 06:30 PM
The Discovery Boats were originally billed as transportation around the park. It went pretty good until people figured out you could walk on land from dock to dock in a matter of minutes, instead of the hour or so long lines that they were waiting in. They were eventually transformed into a Radio Disney Cruise, which was a miserable incarnation of the boats, and finally they were closed.

I would suspect they really can't figure out a good way to bring them back, and seeing as AK doesn't really need any more capacity, I can't imagine them opening them up again.

There were a couple of cool sights, like the fire breathing dragon and the dino in the water over in Dinoland, but overall, a very boring ride.

jefmblrd
02-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Although they were, as previously stated, originally meant as transportation, they were an interesting way to see the park from a different vantage point, and it would be nice to see them brought back just for that reason.

When it was changed to the Disney Radio Cruise, it was nothing short of painful. They had a CM sitting in the front of the boat talking and played tweenish Disney Radio music as I recall. I wanted to jump overboard and swim for shore.

I had heard some rumblings around the internet a couple of years ago that Disney was thinking of re-opening them, but they are still sitting there. I'm not sure if Disney knows what to do with them at this point.

AXOAlum
02-19-2008, 01:04 PM
There were a couple of cool sights, like the fire breathing dragon and the dino in the water over in Dinoland, but overall, a very boring ride.

Anyone know where I can find pictures of these? For some reason we never went on this attraction (in any form) and I would love to see pictures.

DizneyRox
02-19-2008, 05:17 PM
You can still see the fire breathing dragon cave from the bridge over to Camp Minnie Mickey, look to the right as you head towards CMM. It doesn't breathe fire anymore, but it's not all that impresive to tell you the truth.

The dino may have been Aladar from Dinosaur. It's tough to recall right now, it's been so many years. You couldn't see it from land though, needed to be on the boat.

Try google images and see if anything comes up.

Dakota Rose
02-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Of course, the MK RR isn't exactly efficient transportation either. I wish they'd bring it back just as a "cruise" kind of thing. I just love AK and anything I can do to extend my day there.

jefmblrd
02-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Anyone know where I can find pictures of these? For some reason we never went on this attraction (in any form) and I would love to see pictures.

There is some video online, but I don't believe I'm allowed to post the link here. It's easy to find anyway.