PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Presidents - New AA's

Buttercup
02-16-2008, 06:35 PM
How long after an election are they able to put the current US President into the Hall of Presidents? Like, how long does it take to make the AA?
I know the elections are in November for Americans, and then the new president doesn't take over until January 2009. I was just thinking that if the new AA wasn't in place by January, it would be weird to watch the show when the narrator says "And the current US President, George W. Bush".

I'm Canadian so I don't get to vote, but I watch a lot of American news so I've been following the debates quite regularly. I was thinking who would fit in to the Hall the best. NOT trying to start a political debate... these are just a couple of my ridiculous thoughts because I'm a Disney nerd. :mickey:
- Obama would be able to make a good tie-in speech with Abe Lincoln about how all men are created equal and any person, no matter what race, can become president.
- Clinton could make a similar speech in the show about how all men and women are created equal.
- And McCain would just fit in nicely because he's got white hair like the most of the other AA's on the stage. :laughing:

rkmemkc
02-16-2008, 07:33 PM
This post made me smile. I am from the US and I do vote and I love reading this light hearted-Disney related twist on the politics. I agree with all of your thoughts and am interested in hearing from others.
Do they make up a few of the candidates...in case they win (like the hats and T shirts for the SuperBowl)?
I am looking forward to following this thread....lets keep it Disney and not SoapBox Politics!! :)
:mickey:

DisneyFanaticDargon
02-16-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm pretty sure the addition of Bush wasn't instantaneous, due in part to the fact that he actually recorded his own speech, but it wasn't largely delayed either. I think right after the election (assuming it's not an incumbent that has won) the attraction goes down for a general refurb for a while and during this time a new speech is recorded, the show is re-tooled, the new animatronic is added and it re-opens a few months after the inauguration.

Marker
02-16-2008, 08:39 PM
So if it ends up being Obama, would they add Oprah too? :silly:

disneylovinmom
02-16-2008, 09:57 PM
:haha::haha::funny::funny:Good one about Oprah!!! Maybe they could make one of him and her that is joined at the hip. And she could yell the introduction "Barack Obama is heeyere!! just like she does on her show. That would be funny.

Mufasa
02-16-2008, 11:44 PM
To answer some of your questions about adding a presidential AA figure to the Hall of Presidents- the George W. Bush AA figure was in place in October, 2001.

There were 2 closures of the attraction to accommodate the new figure- first, in early summer 2001, Bill Clinton's AA figure was moved to take his place seated next to the other AA figures (then the same advanced A-100 animatronic was recycled to be used for George W. Bush).

While the AA figure was repositioned, the Hall of Presidents ran with an interim show that did not feature Clinton's remarks.

Also during that time, Imagineering works with the White House Communications staff to have the current sitting president's remarks recorded and videotaped- the latter part is important so we can try and capture the same mannerisms of the president into the AA figure programming.

Early on when the president takes office, WDI has a very good relationship with the White House Communications office and we deliver a sort of questionnaire to them with all sorts of things like "Does he wear a wedding ring? Does he have a class ring? What kind of watch does he have? Who makes his shoes?"- and we refer to photographs for other details.

Within a few days, the White House provides everything- suit size, height and then we try and capture their own fashion preferences when possible.

Then if possible we will try and contact the same clothing designers to obtain samples (modifications have to be made to the clothing to fit an animatronic) and in some cases we can work with actual accessories like ties that are the same as what's worn by the President.

For example, George W. Bush's AA figure features the same model Timex Indiglo he wears complete with an inscription that was made on the face of the watch that reads "George W. Bush President January 20, 2001" on the face to match the actual watch he wears complete with the inscription.

Some Presidents (or First Ladies) have also been gracious to donate actual items for authenticity which are details that guests never get to see.

The figures are generally accurate to each President's dimensions- in some cases with the advanced A-100 figures there are some slight modifications in order to make room for all of the internal working parts but generally the height is exact.

DNS
02-17-2008, 10:58 AM
This is a very good question. I'm thinking that in 2001, it was finished by spring when we were there, but I could be wrong. I do remember be impressed at how fast they added though.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
02-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks Mufasa, that was very interesting. Are there starting to be any space issues on the stage? How many more presidents can they fit in?

diz_girl
02-29-2008, 10:32 AM
I'll be at WDW in early December, so I wonder if it will be open when I'm there.

In any case, I wonder if the AA artists for this attraction might be a little rusty at this kind of change, since they've only made one change like this in 14 years, with two 2 term presidents in a row and all.

Gooftroop5
02-29-2008, 11:13 AM
"Mr/Madame president you just won the election what are you going to do?...I'm going to Disney World!" :mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-29-2008, 01:44 PM
- And McCain would just fit in nicely because he's got white hair like the most of the other AA's on the stage. :laughing:

Very funny!