PDA

View Full Version : renting pts. vs. reserve with disney

Jillirose
02-16-2008, 02:31 PM
We have stayed at Disney several times and I have read the pros and cons of DVC membership. We have decided that membership is not for us... But, question what would be the advantages/disadvantages of renting points from a DVC member vs. making a reservation directly with Disney. I'm wondering about cost advantages, any perks, etc. My husband and I considered it before, but were a little hesitant to put our trust in someone we don't know, for our family vacation. I wonder if anyone does this regularly or has any disaster stories about this?

Figment2
02-16-2008, 03:49 PM
When you rent from a member, there is no way for you to confirm the reservation until 3 or 4 days before your arrival. When you rent, it's an agreement between you and the member so if something goes wrong, Disney will not get involved. There has to be a lot of trust because the member has total control over the reservation. If you book through CRO you will get daily maid service which we don't get as DVC members. Depending on the length of your stay, you will get a trash and towel day and/or full cleaning.

A lot of people rent reservations (which is what you would be doing) and although there have been problems, they are very few (or at least so it seems).

Also, as a renter, you are not entitled to any member perks.

When you rent points, you do have access to ME, early entry, dining plan, etc. The member must add ME or the dining plan to the reservation.

THere is risk on both sides. For the member, points may be jeopardy if you cancel the reservation.

I'm curious, though, why did you decide that DVC was not for you?

Good luck on your decision!

Cyn

DVC Mike
02-16-2008, 03:53 PM
But, question what would be the advantages/disadvantages of renting points from a DVC member vs. making a reservation directly with Disney.

Please see:
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122549 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122549)

Jillirose
02-16-2008, 04:56 PM
cyn, from what I was gathering, it looked liked it was a good idea to do dvc if we were annual trippers. This year we couldn't go, so it's iffy from year to year. Thanks for the quick response!