PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR - Jacques Villeneuve out

Marker
02-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Bill Davis Racing (BDR) announced today that it will tap into its pool of veteran Cup Series drivers to pilot the No. 27 Toyota Camry during the next several NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races. Truck Series standouts Mike Skinner and Johnny Benson are both expected to step behind the wheel of BDR’s No. 27 entry.

Hello NASCAR fans. Looks like the first of the Open Wheel guys is already out. I suspect there will be more. These guys are definitely talented, but they don't yet have seat time and skills for a stock car in the top division. I suspect we'll see other moving to Nationwide, Craftsman Trucks, or even ARCA to get some stock car experience.

The following is from the Bill Davis Racing web site :

Bill Davis Racing (BDR) announced today that it will tap into its pool of veteran Cup Series drivers to pilot the No. 27 Toyota Camry during the next several NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races. Truck Series standouts Mike Skinner and Johnny Benson are both expected to step behind the wheel of BDR’s No. 27 entry.

Bill Davis Racing will continue to support Jacques Villeneuve in his pursuit of a successful career in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.

“We know that Jacques has the talent and the desire to be in NASCAR, and are diligently working on a long term relationship with him," commented team owner Bill Davis.

2007 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series runner up Mike Skinner will drive the No. 27 Toyota Camry next weekend at California Speedway in Fontana, California.

WDWfanatic742
02-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Sure didn't take too long now did it?

Marker
02-16-2008, 07:26 PM
On the other hand Dario Franchitti finished the Nationwide race in 20th, on the lead lap; and finished 10th in last week's ARCA race, also on the lead lap.

I think it's going to be very interesting to see how these guys do this year.

Villeneuve has not had much success in his attempts so far. With 7 starts in the trucks last year, his average finish is like 25th. And 2 cup starts resulted in an average finish of 31st. He's a talented driver, but sure doesn't seem to have the feel of a "stock car".

I suspect the last straw was his wreck the 150. Even the TV guys commented that you're taught to hit the break and lock the wheels down instead of turning right to try to save it. He turned it right, show up the track and took out 2 or 3 other drivers with him. Oops.

Mufasa
02-17-2008, 03:30 AM
The thing is Villaneuve's been off the pace since at least 2001 when he was in Formula 1- he's just not competitive and for him NASCAR was more about seeking the only thing available to him.

Perhaps for a while he was held back by some inferior equipment while in F1, but he couldn't even outpace his teammates and often snapped back at the media that he should not have to prove himself since he is a former world champion- but in most races especially towards the end of his F1 career he couldn't even keep pace on the lead lap or ahead of his less experienced teammate.

The differences between NASCAR and F1 cars are huge- and it's not an easy adjustment to make going either way. A talented driver though should be able to make the jump and the top drivers in one series I'd expect to be just as competitive in the other.

Villaneuve is just slow no matter what car you put him in :)

Marker
02-17-2008, 11:45 AM
The differences between NASCAR and F1 cars are huge- and it's not an easy adjustment to make going either way. A talented driver though should be able to make the jump and the top drivers in one series I'd expect to be just as competitive in the other.

Can't disagree at all. A lot of folks have successfully made the transition from various levels of open wheel. Folks like Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Robbie Gordon, A J Foyt, Mario Andretti, and most recently Juan Pablo Montoya.

On the other hand, many have tried and failed too.

Personally, I think Sam Hornish is going to do ok, and I think Dario Franchitti is going to do well. The others, we'll see.

You also have Marcos Ambrose and Aric Almirola coming up in the Nationwide series, I think they might prove OK.

Speaking of the Nationwide Series, did you catch that 18 year old kid Bryan Clauson finishing 6th, surrounded by all of the cup drivers. That young man must have some serious skills.

d_m_n_n
02-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Speaking of the Nationwide Series, did you catch that 18 year old kid Bryan Clauson finishing 6th, surrounded by all of the cup drivers. That young man must have some serious skills.

Is that the kid that was on Dave Despain towards the end of last season?

Marker
02-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Is that the kid that was on Dave Despain towards the end of last season?

Well, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised.