PDA

View Full Version : switch app for dessert on DP?

PlanningMom
02-15-2008, 09:12 PM
OKay, let me ask you a question. (That was kind of a dumb thing to say!:blush:) SOme people were talking about sometimes being able to sub out a dessert for an appetizer.

So, let's say my DH gets the app and we share that and then I get my dessert and we share that. Is that against the rules? It sounds like the portions are large enough and that way we could have some of both.

????What do you think?

Strmchsr
02-15-2008, 09:30 PM
I think what you have read is that many people would like to be able to switch out (or choose) a dessert or appetizer, but with the new DDP you don't get that choice. No appetizer is included on the basic plan. On the deluxe plan you get both. What many folks have been saying is that it would be nice if Disney gave the option on the basic plan - dessert or appetizer - but right now it's a dessert only option.

TheRustyScupper
02-15-2008, 10:54 PM
1) No switching appetizer for dessert.
2) Apps are more expensive than desserts.
3) They also take more manpower.

crazeedizneefinatic
02-16-2008, 12:40 AM
I saw that post too. Not too long ago someone posted that they just got back and was able to choose an appetizer over the dessert at someplaces. That would be cool. I don't think that would be cheating if the restaurant offered it, actually a pretty smart thing to have the best of both worlds.

Jared
02-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Somebody started a thread this week saying that he was able to substitute the lobster soup for dessert at Coral Reef Restaurant. I've never heard that before, and I'm not sure if that was just a fluke. We all wish we could choose between the two, but like TheRustyScupper said, appetizers are simply more expensive and require more manpower.

TheRustyScupper
02-16-2008, 01:19 PM
. . . I saw that post too. Not too long ago someone posted that they just got back and was able to choose an appetizer over the dessert at someplaces . . .

1) Just remember, there is a certain amount of CM leeway.
2) It happens VERY seldom, but once in a while.
3) It all depends upon who you get, their mood, and how they like you.
4) But, do not plan upon the ability to switch.

NOTE: CM's do have latitude to give Pixie Dust. But, as I said, it doesn't happen all the time. I have given free room upgrades, had champagne to the room, awarded free dinners. I know waiters who have given free desserts and even free wine at meals. Again, it just all depends. By the way, I have never given Pixie Dust if someone asked for it - I figure they were just trying to get something for nothing.

šošalyssaluvsmickeyšoš
02-16-2008, 01:47 PM
It was us.We did switch the dessert for an appetizer at the Coral Reef.I reported later that we only asked to do it this one time because all the rest of our dinners where family and buffets.Our waiter was in a good mood I mean it was 4:00 and we were his first table of the night.Im sure he was just being nice,but I've found that if you are nice and respectful you will be accommodated. Sometimes the problem is people get it once and expect it all the time.Disney has rules,but rules sometimes can be broken.And the soup(7.49) cost less then the dessert (7.99)maybe that had something to do with it.Its only .50 or so but maybe.Good luck if I were you I would ask it cant hurt.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Whether the app costs more to make than the dessert depends on what they are. Usually apps cost more because people order them more than desserts so restaurants charge more.

It would be nice if Disney gave you a choice. I'd ask the worst thing that can happen is they say no. I wouldn't say that is cheating either.

Natazu
02-16-2008, 02:00 PM
In the past, we've been told by many servers that the ordering system doesn't really differentiate between courses. For instance, at California Grill, you could get Sushi as a app, entree, or dessert, given the right server. I'm not sure if there's been a change to the ordering system for '08 but I'd wager now that they're fighting for tips, they will give about anything they can get away with.

my :twocents: