PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep the magic fresh?

rafiki fan
02-15-2008, 08:11 PM
I realize most of you on here have been to WDW dozens of times. We too are planning a Christmas visit again this year. My question is this - When you have visited "X" number of times what's the secret to keeping it fresh? :mickey:

thanks in advance

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-15-2008, 08:34 PM
We find something new to try each time. Until our last trip there were attractions we skipped. We made sure we did everything last time we hadn't and found some great attractions that we hadn't done before.

We always try a new TS that we've never done before. Also a new CS or something different on the menu.

We try new park routes so that we don't do the same things in the same order every time.

#1donaldfan
02-15-2008, 09:21 PM
For us it's our only BIG summer thing to do. After all the high school basketball state championship games, middle school football, softball and baseball games it's time for US!!! We're a fam of 5 and through the year it's all about running to all the above events. Just once during the year we love spending some Disney time together. I surely think that when we walk through the tunnel at MK it's like we never left, and to me that is not a bad thing. The smells, the sounds, the food, and especially the rides. That's our magic. We spend a week exploring the parks that we've explored a million times and in doing so we seem to "re-visit" each other and slow down a bit to enjoy being a family. So, for us being at Disney our magic is actually each other....:mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
02-15-2008, 09:32 PM
For us, it's like going home again. It's comfortable, nostalgic, and familiar. Even if we kept the same minute by minute schedule, ate at the same restaurants, and never deviated, there would still be a fresh memory. You meet people that you can connect with, a CM will do something that stands out, or there will be a once in a lifetime event. The year I got to be Veteran of The Day, or Walt's 100th Birthday when I stood in line to have Julie Andrews sign the book she had written stand out. One time during the Tapestry of Nations parade, the "God of the Nations", (or whatever they called him), stopped the parade, got off the float, came over, and kissed my forehead. Things like that, I'll never forget.:cloud9:

Each year, something will stand out as a fresh, defining event or moment. Even if it never changed, it's Disney, and each trip is memorable.:mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
02-15-2008, 09:54 PM
We skip things on some trips and then do them on others so they feel new again. Sometimes we go to Pleasure Island too. One thing I like to do is to try and spread a little disney magic when we are there. We buy some of the light up things in the parks and then give them away. AT Christmas time we bought a big stuffed Mickey and gave it some little girl. It's nice to see the kids faces light up:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
02-15-2008, 10:19 PM
We've found different things to do every trip over 17 years. Sometimes its because Disney has created something new, sometimes its discovering walkways we didn't know about and so on. We also vary what we do every year and definitely don't do everything. So there are things we haven't been on for a while. For example, we haven't been on Test Track or Mission: Space for the last two years so this year we'll likely do them. Two trips are never quite the same.

Finally, as Marilyn said, its like home to us too. Its just the most relacing place we know.

NJ Camper
02-15-2008, 10:50 PM
This is something that only you would be able to answer for some its easier then others for us just being there we once a year typically it doesn't take much its just seeing the castle for the first time on that trip or just the general feel of disney the feeling of magic and dream world combined maybe it could happen but i don't think i could ever get tired of disney yeah somethings havebeen done dozens or more times but you still get that rush of excitement but i know a guy from where i work that says how can you go back year after year but for me and DW its our big vacation for the year and we couldn't amagine changing it for the world so as said for some its easier is the superbowl just football well maybe to some but to some its alot more well thats disney for me :mickey:

playdead88
02-16-2008, 08:48 AM
for us we have decided to stay in a different resort on each visit - which makes it a whole new vacation - disney does a pretty good job of changing things up so if you are like us and only get to go one time a year there is usually something new at one of the parks - this year we are going to the p&pp! :mickey:

pirate pixie
02-16-2008, 09:18 AM
like one person said " it' like coming home "
It is also never the same trip it is always diffrent. it is also seeing how my dd intrest change and what characters she wants . we went from pooh to princess, from power rangers to kim possible and now she thinks she can meet hannah montanna because she is on the disney channell .

dumbo_buddy
02-16-2008, 10:01 AM
when you asked, "how do you keep it fresh after you've been on "X" ride a million times?" my initial thought is...look for the hidden secrets on the ride!

for instance, i've been on maelstrom a zillion times and can recite the whole ride!! so, this past trip i made it new by looking for the hidden mickey! and i found it!

check out the hidden mickeys book and try to spot them. it really spices up the attractions!

Sylvia
02-16-2008, 10:11 AM
:mickey:
When we first started going to WDW, we did everything on every visit. We never thought to skip something, and always followed a specific schedule. Of course, that was also the time when we stayed on I-Drive and used the hotel shuttles. So, we'd spend all day at the parks, mainly because it was too expensive and time-consuming to take a mid-day break. We did perfect the art of resort-hopping, though, when the park of the day was too crowded.

:party2:
But, when we started staying on property (1989), things changed. We no longer were "hostage to the shuttle schedules". And we stopped having marathon days in the parks. We also perfected our own method of keeping the magic alive on each visit. I remember once during one of our earlier stays at CBR, my Mother and I made a decision to let Disney Transport decide our days for us. Each day for a week, we took the first theme park bus that came along. That was also the trip where the only "etched in stone" activity was dinner at 50s Prime Time. The rest of the time, we just let the mood guide us. This is one tradition that has continued. I still let Disney Transport plan some of my days and the adventure is amazing at times.

Other changes have occurred over the years with the passing of my Mother as well as 3 other travel buddies. Many times, I'm taking solo trips these days. Doing things I used to do with Mom, or with my friends, keeps the magic going for me and also reminds me of many happy memories. There are many examples, but here are a couple.

Whenever I'm on "small world" (Mom's favorite), I remember how happy she was. I should mention that since her first time on this attraction was at the NY World's Fair in 1965, she loved it long before she first rode it in DL and WDW. We were on a family vacation in 2001 and we were waiting for the rest of the family to join us. She asked me if I thought the grandkids would want to ride it with her. But, before she had a chance to ask them, the kids said they wanted to go on "small world", and she was so happy!! What made this more special was the fact that it was her last WDW trip and it was also the last time she was on "small world". The next day, it closed for refurbishing and was closed for the rest of our trip.
Pixie dust is amazing. :pixie:

Then, there's the Great Movie Ride, or in particular the scene where Rhett Butler carries Scarlet O'Hara up the staircase. Every time, my Mom would grab my arm and sigh - she was one of those Clark Gable fanatics. Mom passed away in January 2002, and I've been on the GMR at least 15 times since then. I can still feel her grabbing my arm.
More Pixie Dust. :pixie:

:magic: I think where I'm going with this is - the magic is easy to find if you let it grab you. Athough planning a detailed schedule is a great idea, other than special TS meals, nothing is etched in stone. If you suddenly feel like tossing the schedule and taking some time to enjoy the "street performers" or browsing in the shops or people-watching while enjoying a Mickey bar (or Dole Whip) or stopping to smell the flowers and appreciate the amazing architecture or just being a kid (I think of it as being a 2-yr-old in an adult body.), do it. You never know what will happen. After 45+ WDW visits, I'm still finding the magic in unexpected places.

But, some things will never change. For me, the magic still begins when I see the Castle or Spaceship Earth - my 2 favorite park icons - for the first time on each visit. And, the magic never stops. :magic:

As I've said, Pixie Dust is amazing.:pixie:

Going bact to WDW is like going home - and I'm going home again in May for 2 weeks.

Marker
02-16-2008, 10:45 AM
I think if I ever get to a place where I have to work at keeping it fresh, that probably means it's time time to go someplace else. It's the fact that I don't have to work at it that makes it magical.

Although a few thoughts would be

1) While you're there, relax, take your time, don't stress out attempting to see everything, everytime. Now matter how frequently I've gone, there are always things I haven't seen/done for a while. And if I'm spending my time stressing over some arbitrary schedule, then I'm not allowing myself to truly enjoy what I am seeing.

2) Don't go "too often". I much as I love to be at WDW, if I went every weekend it wouldn't be as special.

3) Visit other places between WDW visits. As much as I love WDW, there are other great places to visit too.

4) Go with other people. The experience you have will be different if you're by yourself (or just your immediate family), or if you're with friends, or if you're with small children, or if you're all on your own.

sillyolbear
02-16-2008, 12:15 PM
We are fortunate to be able to go to WDW 3-4 times a year thanks to a DVC membership. The magic stays fresh as others have said because it is like going home. We've gotten to know cast members who we make a point to stop by and say hello to. We have the same town car driver every trip who we enjoy catching up with. It is like a family that we get to go back and see several times a year.

It also afford us the freedom to not feel like we have to see everything every trip. My wife can spend time at the spa or we can not go a park but rather visit one of the resorts and not feel like we missed something by not doing all the attractions.

jefmblrd
02-16-2008, 02:22 PM
We've never really had to do anything to keep the magic alive. It seems to do that on its own. We go at least once, sometimes twice a year, so that when the time to go again rolls around we're raring to go.

texasteacher
02-16-2008, 08:58 PM
The magic is always there for me, but I do try to change each trip by staying at a different resort or eating at new restaurants each time. I also try to bring first-time guests with me whenever possible.

DreamFinder2
02-16-2008, 11:25 PM
I have the challenge of making each trip "better" for my DW. She's not the Disney nut that we all are, and would just as soon go to NYC than WDW...I know, I know.

So, my goal for each trip is to find something that will make it more enjoyable for her. I know on some level she's humoring me when we go...although I think she really does like it, too :).

I also really like spending nights at the parks - especially Epcot and MK. EMH evenings at MK are amazing for us, and that's where the magic comes from.

mousehappy
02-17-2008, 10:08 AM
We always try to do something we have never done before on each trip.A different meal, tour or just going to a ride we didn't think one of wouldn't like and try it anyway.We have found so many things to do -that we have nevver done the same thing twice( other than rides).

We go at least once a year if not twice!! I never get tired of it there is way too much magic here!! take a boat ride,carrage ride, walk around a hotel you have never been too. Look for a little something special to leave on everyones pillow as they get into bed that night. I alway get something for everyone that they were not expecting. jUST STOP AND SMELL THE FLOWERS AND ENJOY!!!

Mickey07
02-17-2008, 10:41 AM
WDW is an amazing place and I doubt that anyone would ever run out of anything to do. Personally, my family goes at least once a year and we never run out of things to do. There is always something new to do and I never get tired of riding all the classic rides. Going to WDW just makes everyone feel happy and all the magic pretty much comes without any effort. :thumbsup: