PDA

View Full Version : What kind of home do you live in

disneymom15
02-15-2008, 03:50 PM
I enjoyed the earlier topic about what year and make car do you own. It got me thinking, what kind of home do you live in?
Do you own or rent? Single family, multi family, apartment, condo, etc?
We own a single family 3 bedroom ranch 1650 square feet.

bleukarma
02-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I live in a single family 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with my great aunt. We own the house, along with the bank. :mickey:
However it is up for sale and when it does sale I am going into an apartment and my aunt is going into a retirement community.

DisneyTwinsMommy
02-15-2008, 04:06 PM
We live in a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom traditional 2-story. We were fortunate to be able to go right into a house we could stay in, not a "starter house"... with the twins we need the extra space.

thrillme
02-15-2008, 04:12 PM
4 bedroom, 2 story, 2300. Not real pleased with it but it'll get by for a few more years.

scootch713
02-15-2008, 04:35 PM
We live in a 100 year old house that my husband grew up in. Although I wish I lived elsewhere, we have fixed it up nice, everything is new(roof, siding, furnace, floors, ect..) and have NO mortgage. It has allowed us to spend a fortune on infertility treatments to get our miracles and for me to quit my job just to be a MOM.... and hmm... the luxury of two vacations a year, one WDW, the other a family beach vacation. So when times hit that I wish I lived somewhere else, I thank God for this house, for hubby's memories in it and for all we get to do since we do not pay huge taxes and no mortgage.

BronxTigger
02-15-2008, 04:36 PM
I rent a 1 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment. It's huge at 670 square feet. My apartment building has 6 floors with 8 apartments on each floor.

PirateLover
02-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I still live with my fam. We live in what would be considered row home style, however we don't have connecting properties on either side. One side is an alley way and the other side is a yard and garage that is our property as well. Technically it has it's own address! My parents really lucked into this property in the 70s. It has tons of storage, parking space, 10 ft ceiling, and a large kitchen with separating doors, all of which are rare in your typical city home. 3 bedrooms (although mine is more like someone's walk-in closet, hah) and 1.5 bath.

My parents were able to look at old maps and discover that whoever owned this original property used to own almost the entire block. It was basically farmland, and our "garage'' used to be the stable. My parents made a lot of renovations when they moved in because it was set up for servants with separated hallways so you couldn't see them coming and going and a back staircase into the kitchen and basement. They took all of that out to make more room way before my brother and I were born.

princessjojo
02-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Right now we live in a single-family 3br, 2bth home of only about 1500sqft. But next Jan we finally get to start building our new single-family 4br, 4bth 3300 sqft home. After losing my job and having both boys in the hospital for quite a while, then going back to school, the time has finally come. FINALLY!!! A home big enough for me to "throw" a fit in and not hit anyone (haha).

disneymom15
02-15-2008, 04:59 PM
This is neat. I like your replies. It kind of gives me a visual of what my fellow intercot friends live like. When I correspond daily with some of you I wonder what you're like. Maybe we can add to this post. Who do you live with also.
For me it husband 49, me 48 and daughter 17.

ljv1975
02-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Our house is a 3 bedroom, 2 bath Cape Cod style home. We also own a 2 bedroom 1 bath rental house next door. When we were house shopping, it was a 2-for-1 deal, as both houses are considered to be on the same lot - separated by the yard.
We decided to go for it because with rental income we could qualify for a larger mortgage and afford this house. Although, I must say being landlords can be quite a hassle sometimes, but it is worth it!

Beast_fanatic
02-15-2008, 05:42 PM
We own an 1858 sq ft. single family home with 3 bdr, 2 bath and 2 car garage and a pool.

trennedy
02-15-2008, 06:26 PM
We have a 2400 sq ft, 4 bdrm, 4 bath - two story house. We built it 10 years ago...I still love it, but it's time to begin re-doing some rooms. We re-did the great room last year, now we're wanting to do the kitchen. That will be a big undertaking. Styles change so quickly that I'd love some suggestions!!

kakn7294
02-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Our house is a 2 story, 4 BR, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage single family home built in 1996 by Ryan Homes (translate: CHEAP construction). Still, it's home and we like it.

MauiMouse
02-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Condo here, 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms. :mickey:

NewmanFamily6
02-15-2008, 06:44 PM
We live in a split foyer home with 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths. Also a large basement and 2 car garage. I do not like living out here at all and as soon as I am done with nursing school next year we are outta here:thumbsup: We want to move to Wilmington, NC in a house where the 4 kids can have their own rooms(although I doubt the twins will go for that):secret:

MsMin
02-15-2008, 06:53 PM
We live in a single family home with 4 bedrooms and 3 baths. It's 3362sq ft and I live on a cul de sac lot so there is plenty of space if you like a triangle lawn ;) It's single story and a 3 way split plan. It's nearly 10 years old. We have high ceilings and mostly hard floors brick and wood.

RedSoxFan
02-15-2008, 06:58 PM
We live in 5 BR, 5BA home. The basement is completely done with DS20 bedroom, bath, game room and media room. We built it last year and just love it. Close to 6000 sf finished.

SgtTigger
02-15-2008, 07:53 PM
4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath 2400 sq feet 2 story 25 years old single family home. We bought it almost 2 years ago after Katrina and redid it.
The theme is Wilderness Lodge and I have 2 rooms of furniture that came from Disney's Wilderness Lodge when they redid it.....
We added a pool last summer......

:cop: :tigger:

Melanie
02-15-2008, 07:57 PM
We live in a typhoon-proof cement block. It's all the rage around here. :D

merlinmagic4
02-15-2008, 08:05 PM
We have a little house in a beautiful area (Cape Cod). We are thrilled to own (well, pay a mortgage on) a ranch that is just under 1000 square feet. It also has a finished basement with a very large (messy) playroom, laundry room, and "junk" room. We have five of us, two large dogs, 2 cats, a gerbil and fish living here. It's very tight quarters but I'm thankful I have been able to raise my kids here myself. Someday when I return to work full time we can have the big house, fancy cars, etc. but for now it works just fine :thumbsup:

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-15-2008, 08:29 PM
We live in a ranch style home with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths around 1600 sq ft. I like my house except for my yard....very, very small.

pogo
02-15-2008, 08:58 PM
We have a wonderful little two bedroom, 1 bath Cape with a finished basement, combination pool room/music room. Total sq.footage is about 1100. :cloud9:

Add in our Sunroom, deck and pool and it is just right for the two of us. :D

DisneyLandMomma
02-15-2008, 09:01 PM
We own a ranch style home on almost 2 acres. It is over 2000 sq ft. but I'm not sure the exact number. 3 bd, 3 ba, 3 car garage with the third section enclosed for our laundry room and storage. We have a formal living room, formal dining, kitchen that opens up into the big family room. We also have an enclosed patio that's our office/craft/playroom. I LOVE my house! :blush: There is 4 of us that live here...myself, my husband, our daughter and my grandfather. :)

Dakota Rose
02-15-2008, 09:05 PM
We have a 5 bed 4 bath home on about 3 acres. It's a 2-year-old farmhouse with wrap-around porch. It's ours free and clear and we're getting ready to add a 1,000 sf rec room/office addition off the back.

Someone posted about living in a 100 year house. That is SO COOL!

Caroleh
02-15-2008, 09:14 PM
For about a month longer, my DH and I live in a 2 BR, 1 1/2 bath apartment. On March 3 we're closing on a 3BR/ 1 1/2 bath townhouse with 1450 sq. ft. with almost no yard, but it's great for us and our cat. March 15 we're moving into our brand new home!!! We've been waiting since May of last year for the house to be built!!!

princessjojo
02-15-2008, 09:29 PM
We live in a split foyer home with 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths. Also a large basement and 2 car garage. I do not like living out here at all and as soon as I am done with nursing school next year we are outta here:thumbsup: We want to move to Wilmington, NC in a house where the 4 kids can have their own rooms(although I doubt the twins will go for that):secret:
Good luck with that! I lived in Wilmington for a while, and my dad has a home there on the beach. We've looked at homes down there as we've talked about moving back for a while now, but the houses are getting out of this world high around there. Even in this housing economy, but it's the location there.

Anyway, if you do decide to go there, I have a friend that works for New Hanover Memorial and is now the Director of their new Air Care Unit. Let me know & I can get you in touch with her if you'd like.

Tink&Goofy
02-15-2008, 10:30 PM
We live in a 2 story traditional - 5 BD 3 BA and a den- about 3,300sf. Used to feel big - but with 5 of us, and our accumulation of "stuff" :blush:, it doesn't feel so big anymore! :D

Here we go again...
02-16-2008, 03:58 AM
We live in a 1500 sq ft ranch style home. It is old, and needed a LOT of work when we got it. We got a good price, but even with the amount we paid I don't think we will ever catch up and get it all fixed and updated the way I want it.
We have a huge yard and we are in Scott which is just out of Lafayette. We can get to any part of Lafayette in about 10 minutes, great location. The best part is that we have a Brahma(sp?) Bull farm behind our back yard, It is like living in the country.

We only have about 8 years left to pay on it so we will do it slow until then.... of course if we would not have bought into DVC and stay away from Disney for a while I bet we could finish a little quicker. :blush:

Personally, I think I have my priorities straight, Disney first... fixing up the house 2nd.

Melanie
02-16-2008, 05:01 AM

We lived in a 100 year old house in Maryland. All the housing on the base we lived on was old and beautiful. It was actually my favorite house we've lived in (and there have been quite a few :unsure: ).

RedheadWriter
02-16-2008, 06:57 AM
I live alone in my grandmother's old home (she passed on in 2006 and I rent from my mother) about 1500 sf, hardwood floors throughout, 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, huge basement storage area, garage, huge yard and garden and creepy old attic. LOL. It is awesome for me. Kitchen and bathroom were redone before i moved in last April. I am lucky to be here. If/when the time comes that that special someone decides to "be mine" there is room here for him, too!

disneydeb
02-16-2008, 09:46 AM
We have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, formal living and dining, breakfast area, kitchen, laundry and family room house in about 2,100 square feet. It is a little small right now as our oldest dd has moved back in with her 9mo. old son, but I love them living with us!

conorsmom2000
02-16-2008, 10:12 AM
We live in 3 br/2 bath (sort of) center hall colonial. Technically it's a center hall but I always picture those to have a foyer - with ours, you basically walk in and you are really in the living room, stairs in front of you and dining room to your right. It's only about 1850 sq feet, but we picked it because it had a huge yard (for our area). I say it "sort of" has a 2nd bath because the old owners enclosed the back porch to make it a small room and turned part of into a bathroom (with a shower). But, they did a very poor job - they basically just put up sheet rock or paneling - they never even insulated it. So, we've slowly been working on tearing it all down and redoing it. Right now we have to turn that bath off in the winter. But, it is very conveinent to have bath right off the back door with having the pool now! :thumbsup:

I grew up in a house that was built in the late 1880's! :thumbsup: It is just an amazing house and my family is only the 3rd owners of it. (My Dad still lives there). It's one of 5 houses on my block built at the same time but it's the only one that wasn't later converted to a 2 family. At one point there were 5 fireplaces in the home but the previous owners enclosed many of them when heat was put in. There's still a very cool back to back fireplace between the kitchen and the dining room - in the kitchen it's brick and the dining room is marble. Again, though, the heating vents were put there so they aren't working, but they are still awesome. There's a full walk up attic that has 3 bedrooms, so the house has 7 bedrooms all together! Lots of very cool little nooks in the house, too. :mickey:

Dakota Rose
02-16-2008, 10:59 AM
But, they did a very poor job - they basically just put up sheet rock or paneling - they never even insulated it.

The previous owners of our first house did a similar thing. The wall in the living room was paneling that they painted over. It looked okay but when we went to hang pictures, we realized it was a hollow wall. The one wall in the kitchen was the same thing and there had been a leak in the roof so the paneling blistered and cracked. The wall looked bloated all the time. As if that wasn't enough, they enclosed part of their patio on the lower level and put windows in. The window sills were made from old fencing panels and were crooked and uneven. I liked the floorplan of the house but it was a architectural nightmare.

mjstaceyuofm
02-16-2008, 11:09 AM
We live in your basic 2-story colonial-type house in MI. It's 4-bedroom, 3.5 bathrooms; 3200 Sq Ft. Fairly new construction - built in 2000. It seems to be holding up - so far so good. We're the 2nd owners, having moved in in 2004. We're still swapping out builders paint in favor of our own colors. We have so many things we want to do... but priorities come first such as saving for retirement, college, etc...

Nascfan
02-16-2008, 02:21 PM
We live in a 3 bedroom ranch. It's not large, I don't know the sq ft, but it's fully paid for and is a decent size for the 3 of us.

Marker
02-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Well, we've got a 3 br raised ranch, with about 1100 sq ft on the main level. We also have a somewhat finished basement with another bedroom, office area/rec room and laundry room. Yeah, it's smallish for this area, just never felt the need for anything bigger. Sure, it was "cozy" with 3 young kids, especially with 1 bathroom. But now that it's mostly just the 2 of us it's just right. And the best thing is, it's almost paid off.

PirateLover
02-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Yes living in an old house is cool (although it can be creepy sometimes as well!) I mentioned that our house was the first on the block but didn't mention the age. All we know is it was built in the 1800s... we can't find the year. I think the earliest map my parents found was 1890s?
We also have an enclosed fireplace, and a beautiful chandelier. We recently took the Chandelier to an antique lighting place to get it refurbed and found out that it was actually silver (it was already tarnished to the point that my parents thought it was copper when they moved in) and was actually wired after it was made for electric- meaning that at one point people actually lit real candles on it! I just thought that was so neat.

One creepy thing though is that apparently 100 years ago people used to be laid out in their homes after death instead of funeral parlors. When my parents moved in they found a desk with pictures of dead people in it!!!!:scared::paranoid:

Ian
02-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Our house is a 2 story, 4 BR, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage single family home built in 1996 by Ryan Homes (translate: CHEAP construction). Still, it's home and we like it.That's so funny to read that ... our last townhouse was a Ryan home and one of the main reasons we ditched it when we did was because we were afraid it would fall down around our ears. ;)

We currently live in a large 5BR/4BA townhome. We have both a finished basement and a finished loft (four floors total) and our sq. footage is just a bit shy of 4,000.

It's more of a crossover home for us. Single family homes in this area are expensive (one comparable to our townhouse would probably go for like $750,000), so we got into this place for a few years until we can afford the single. We're thinking about moving next year, assuming the housing market recovers by then.

Scar
02-16-2008, 04:13 PM
I love the story of our house. My father is a Norwegian who grew up in a Norwegian neighborhood in Brooklyn. A bunch of the families there got together and bought parcels of former farmland in central Jersey to build summer cottages, apparently a Scandinavian tradition that everyone, except the very poor, had summer homes. My Grandfather built the small cottage in 1941 with wood from the torn down pavilions from the 1939 World’s Fair (my Grandfather was a carpenter for The NYC Dept. of Transit.) He built it by himself on weekends (and a few friends and my 10 - 14 year old uncles.) The full basement was dug out with a scoop drawn by a team of horses. My father’s family spent summers there during and after the War, with my Grandfather only being there on weekends. There was no plumbing or electricity, water was from several hand pumps located throughout the community, still there but not working. The outhouse is still in my backyard. In 1955 they put on an addition with a kitchen and bathroom, plumbing, insulation, electricity, and my father and my uncle lived there for a few years. In 1961 they added a second small addition (making 1350 sq ft on 1st floor and about 500 sq ft in the now unused attic rooms) and my Grandfather retired and moved there with my Step-Grandmother full time (my Grandmother died in 1957.) My Grandfather died in 1968 and my Step-Grandmother lived there alone until she died in 1994. During those 26 years the house fell into disrepair. Then I made a deal with my uncle that if I could live there for taxes, insurance, and maintenance cost, that I would fix up the house. I got married 4 years later and in 2002 we bought the house. With no kids 1350 sq ft is plenty. Although with only 1 bath, we could use another ½.

RoosMomKanga
02-16-2008, 05:38 PM
The theme is Wilderness Lodge and I have 2 rooms of furniture that came from Disney's Wilderness Lodge when they redid it.....

:cool: Now I'm wondering how many of you display Disney Decor (us, just at Christmas, monorail etc.)

We (Me and DH 48, DD away at college 20, DS's 17 & 12) have moved 7x, so I got to design this house 6 years ago (sounds "funner" that it was). It's a traditional farmhouse style with front porch, 2-story foyer, 5 BR + Bonus/3 1/2 + 1/2 BA, 3900sf. with a partially finished basement (We're pretty good do-it-yourselfers so we finished it ourselves- bar, media, play...I'll attempt almost anything, but can I say NEVER again will I mud/sand drywall! :nono:).

We'd love to own a historic/older home some day...we're flea market/antique people (it's filled to the brim with collections/rusty stuff). When we moved here my DS drew/described our brand new home to his kindergarten teacher as "Old Fashioned":funny: fitting.

Aggie97
02-16-2008, 06:55 PM
We live in a 4 bedroom, 3.5 bathroom single family home, about 2400 sq. ft. It was built last year. It's just my husband and I, so we have plenty of room to spread out. Previously we were in a 1600 sq. ft. townhouse, so we are still getting extra furniture and such for this house.

Our game room has Disney decor. When we were at DLR, we purchased eight of the vintage ride posters with the black frames, and we have a big bookcase with collectibles, picture frames, etc. I've forced myself to limit Disney decor to that room so that it doesn't get out hand! :mickey:

TikiGoddess
02-16-2008, 08:33 PM
We live in a 1400 sq ft ranch on about an acre of land. It was built in 1956 with an addition from 1988. We bought the house in 2001 and had to paint the entire interior of the house (and rip wallpaper off the walls in almost every room!). It's not big but it suits our needs well. For most I think this would be a starter home but for us it's perfect. It has 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, a great basement with finished and unfinished space, a deck, and a partially fenced yard. The only complaint I would have about the house is that we don't have a dining room and the living room is fairly small (12X18).

TikiG

kaerbear178
02-16-2008, 08:40 PM
I live in a 2 bed 2 bath apt, about 900 square feet with my husband and brother. It'll do for now!

Miss Mouse
02-16-2008, 11:41 PM
DH-to-be and I live in a 990 square foot, 1 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo. It's quite spatious, with few dividing walls so it feels much bigger than it is.

We moved in when it was brand new, and we got to pick everything, which is just great. We're most likely going to be here for at least a few more years, but we'd like to sell this particular place and move to another unit in the building with 2 bedrooms. Don't know if I see that happening anytime in the near future though!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-16-2008, 11:59 PM
I live in a single story, single family ranch with 2 bedrooms and 1 bath, 1 car garage and a fire place. It's about 1000 sq feet and I think I have about 1/2 acre of land. I can mow the whole lawn in about 45 minutes.
Melanie-I know what you mean about the concrete homes in Okinawa. How well I remember them!

conorsmom2000
02-17-2008, 09:50 AM
One creepy thing though is that apparently 100 years ago people used to be laid out in their homes after death instead of funeral parlors. When my parents moved in they found a desk with pictures of dead people in it!!!!:scared::paranoid:

That's so funny you mention that! We found the same thing! The original owners of the house were a couple and the woman was apparently the first female organist to ever play at a large NYC venue (I believe it was the Metropolitan Opera but I can't be sure. My brother would remember). Anyway, my brother used to work in the town library and one day while shelving books, he found a book that the husband wrote about his wife - this man loved her to pieces and wrote this little book about her! We know for sure it's about the couple who owned our house (my parents house) because there was an original hand written letter from the publisher stapled inside the front cover, addressed to him at our address. Inside the book there is a photo of the wife being laid out in our dining room!!! We were about 15 years old when he found this book and we were more than a little creeped out - we had never heard of such a thing. My brother took the book out a few times but sadly at one point it went missing. Now that I'm older I would definitely be more interested in reading it and finding out about their history.

The other funny thing is that there is a painting of her (I believe her name was Margaret) that is up in the attic. When my Dad found it, he called the previous owners to ask them about it. They told him it was the wife and original owner and they were superstitious about removing it from the house. I guess my parents agreed because the painting has stayed in the same spot since it was put there. I guess no one wants to upset the spirits of a 110+ year old house! :D

Our neighbors, who's house was built at the same time, found a trunk in their attic that they won't remove either. They do swear their house has a ghost (they call him the Captain). Some of their stories definitely creep me out a little!

SgtTigger
02-17-2008, 11:31 AM

Mel
Learn how to make them and come down here you could make a ton of money..... :D

:cop: :tigger:

adoptionislove
02-17-2008, 12:09 PM
We have a 2100 sq ft house...3 bedrooms 2 baths completely remodeled with a pool/spa/rock waterfall! We LOVE it!

We also have a ranch in SE Oklahoma that is really pretty with a cabin and 5 ponds (1 is 3 acres big, so we call it the plake 1/2 pond 1/2 lake)! We love it as well!

BostonChic
02-17-2008, 12:24 PM
We have a single family campello;3 bdr. with no basement which I'd rather a garage anyways.
The color siding we chose was a sort of dark blue with white since we see alot of light blue or yellow.
We will be getting a shed and possibly a pool :snorkel: in the near future :cloud9::mickey:

DisneyCrazyET
02-17-2008, 07:12 PM
We live in a ranch about 1320 sq. ft. 3 bedrooms, one bath an older home. When we sided the house we found newspaper from 1927 that was used to insulate it. We have 1 1/2acres. A two car detached garage. A corner lot in a wonderful neighborhood with great neighbors. Only 20 homes.

crazypoohbear
02-17-2008, 08:44 PM

I remember those houses too, don't put down rugs and just use a corn husk broom to sweep the water out the front door!:D

My MIL STILL takes pictures at every wake she goes to!!!:ack: I tell my sister in law that that photo album is definately going to HER when the parents die I do not want it in my house.

I love the story of our house. My father is a Norwegian who grew up in a Norwegian neighborhood in Brooklyn. A bunch of the families there got together and bought parcels of former farmland in central Jersey to build summer cottages, apparently a Scandinavian tradition that everyone, except the very poor, had summer homes. My Grandfather built the small cottage in 1941 with wood from the torn down pavilions from the 1939 World’s Fair (my Grandfather was a carpenter for The NYC Dept. of Transit.) He built it by himself on weekends (and a few friends and my 10 - 14 year old uncles.) The full basement was dug out with a scoop drawn by a team of horses. My father’s family spent summers there during and after the War, with my Grandfather only being there on weekends. There was no plumbing or electricity, water was from several hand pumps located throughout the community, still there but not working. The outhouse is still in my backyard. In 1955 they put on an addition with a kitchen and bathroom, plumbing, insulation, electricity, and my father and my uncle lived there for a few years. In 1961 they added a second small addition (making 1350 sq ft on 1st floor and about 500 sq ft in the now unused attic rooms) and my Grandfather retired and moved there with my Step-Grandmother full time (my Grandmother died in 1957.) My Grandfather died in 1968 and my Step-Grandmother lived there alone until she died in 1994. During those 26 years the house fell into disrepair. Then I made a deal with my uncle that if I could live there for taxes, insurance, and maintenance cost, that I would fix up the house. I got married 4 years later and in 2002 we bought the house. With no kids 1350 sq ft is plenty. Although with only 1 bath, we could use another ½.

This is a really cool story! I loved it til I saw the giants fan at the end;)

I live in a ranch house about 1000 sq ft. 3 small bedrooms 1 bathroom, half finished cellar 2 fireplaces,2 car garage and just under an acre of land
it belongs to my inlaws and we rent
I would love another bathroom but we have no money and no place to put it. I envision winning mega millions and really redoing the whole house but.....

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
02-17-2008, 09:59 PM
We built our house 6 years ago.

We have a 2400 sq ft. Cape Cod style home. We have three bedrooms, three baths, living room, den, kitchen, dining room and a play room. My favorite part of our home is my 40' covered front porch. We love to curl up on the rocking chairs with a quilt during a good rain.

Our back yard is fenced in for our kids and dogs. ;)

We have room for a pool and garage. In time, no rush.

It is just our family here. DH and I with our three kiddos. We have two dogs, one cat and a rabbit too.

NJ Camper
02-17-2008, 10:10 PM
2400 sq ft colonial 4 bdrm 2 1/2 bath plenty of space for me ,DW and 2 dogs we spend most of our time in family room or in our back yard

princessgirls
02-18-2008, 10:58 AM
We just moved from our starter home.

We purchased house #1 in 1994, got married in 96 and had DD#1 in 2000. DD#2 arrived in 2001. It was a great house for us until 2 years ago. It was cheap living, but we had no room. I mean the Princess Castle and all the toys were always cluttered in the living room. I think it was about 1200 square feet and had a tall narrow stair case with 13 steps to the up stairs bedrooms.
It took 7 months to sell in this horrible market here in the Northeast, and living with my mom for 4 months until we found the perfect house for us.
We bought a 4-bedroom 2 bath cape with 2200 square feet, garage and a full finished basement in a very nice neighborhood. God is Good! My DH is too much, with moving. We want our girls to have a good life, and we could afford many extras with our little house (ie, boat, nice vacations, fun day trips, and we have them in a Christian School). He was always with the calculator figuring out different scenerios. It is working out. I continue to work part-time (25 hours per week). Our little house served us well, it allowed us a good life and great down payment on our new house.
I love our new house. Plenty of room for everyone!
Julie:mickey:
P.S. Just an aside, my office relocated to a 200 year old Dutch farm house. It's pretty cool. There are a lot of interesting things in that place. The most common theme is no closet space. People in the 1800's didn't have much clothing. LOL!

Belle619
02-18-2008, 11:32 AM
We just bought our first house last October and we moved in the day we got home from our honeymoon.

It is a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath ranch with a huge deck and yard and we're planning on finishing the basement this summer. This will be my husband's project, but I think I may have to find a place down there to sneak in a hidden Mickey! :mickey:

murphy1
02-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Victorian style 4 BR 2 1/2 ba very lg backyard culdesac. We are outside Atlanta so there's some neat Civil War history here. I used one bed for my sewing and design studio (and catchall room). We don't have a basement like many people here, and I want to go back to FL, so we are hoping to get a 5/6 Bed 3 ba there.

Jasper
02-18-2008, 03:24 PM
First house was a 900 square foot story and a half with 2 bedrooms on less than 1/4 acre that we lived in for the first ten years we were married. Oddly enough we moved out EXACTLY 10 years to the day after we moved in. Didn't plan it that way it just happened.

Second house was a 1500 square foot ranch with 3 bedrooms and basement on 3/4 acre that we lived in for the second 10 years that we were married. Oddly enough we moved out EXACTLY 10 years to the day after we moved in. Didn't plan it that way it just happened. No, that wasn't a typo, we really did live in each of our first two homes exactly 10 years apiece.

Our current home is a log home that is about 2100 square feet story and a half with a gorgeous loft on about 2 acres of land that is heavily wooded. We also have a pond that is about 1/4 acre. That makes the pond on our current place about the same size as our entire property was when we were first married.

We now live out in the country and love it immensely. Of course, we will have been in this house for five years this fall so everyone is kidding us that we only have five more years to go in it.

You want to know the really weird thing? A highway is slated to take our property and we are being told that it is likely that we will have to move in five years!! What are the odds of that?

Of course, even if the road doesn't take us we will probably have to sell about that time if not before because of all my back problems. Five years from now will make my youngest son a senior in high school and there is no way I will be able to take care of this place without any of my kids to help. It really has been great to have three kids who are so willing to help!

murphy1
02-18-2008, 04:19 PM
We live in a 4 bedroom, 3.5 bathroom single family home, about 2400 sq. ft. It was built last year. It's just my husband and I, so we have plenty of room to spread out. Previously we were in a 1600 sq. ft. townhouse, so we are still getting extra furniture and such for this house.

Our game room has Disney decor. When we were at DLR, we purchased eight of the vintage ride posters with the black frames, and we have a big bookcase with collectibles, picture frames, etc. I've forced myself to limit Disney decor to that room so that it doesn't get out hand! :mickey:

Hi April, you are my neighbor! Yeah, we have a 2200 sf house now and no kids when we moved in. We have since added our three little girls another cat (making two) and a crazy border collie, needless to say, it is crazy trying to keep it all organized! I remember when we moved in, one room, which became the nursery was empty that whole time and another was the guest room and our room and my office. I couldn't believe how much space it was! I would in a way like to keep this place AND get something in FL in a rural area.

Jimenyfan
02-18-2008, 04:22 PM
3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath traditional, 1900sq feet and taxes 1/3 of what they were when we lived in NJ in a 1500sq foot house.

J9
02-18-2008, 04:47 PM
We live in a 4 bedroom home with 2.5 bathrooms.

I don't know anything about stories or sq footage, but it's got a basement, and 3 additional floors. We also have HUGE backyard which is about the size of a little league baseball field.

Jasper
02-18-2008, 05:01 PM
We have a single family campello

Never heard of a campello before, can you tell me what that is please?

PirateLover
02-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Inside the book there is a photo of the wife being laid out in our dining room!!! We were about 15 years old when he found this book and we were more than a little creeped out - we had never heard of such a thing.
YIKES! What ashame it got lost though. I'm not sure what my parents did with the pictures... thankfully I never saw them. I think it would've really creeped me out to see pictures of people being laid out in our house. I think it's so neat when people leave things behind. We have tons of old Life magazines and newspapers. Unfortunatley they were kept in the basement and are not in very good condition, but it's still really neat. Also there is this HUGE antique mirror in our basement that was there when they moved in. It is not in great condition but I always told my mom I wanted to have it cleaned and restored and use it in my house when I move out. The only problem is we aren't sure if we can get it out of the basement because it really is BIG. This has my parents perplexed because the only staircase that used to lead down into the basement was a small spiral staircase which my parents removed and then put in a traditional staircase. There doesn't seem to have been anyway it could've been maneuvered down those stairs.:confused:

My MIL STILL takes pictures at every wake she goes to!!!:ack: I tell my sister in law that that photo album is definately going to HER when the parents die I do not want it in my house.

OH MY!!! I just don't understand why someone would want to look at someone in that state. I would much rather look at pictures of my loved ones when they were alive and well.

AZ Disney
02-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Two-story, 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 3600 sq. feet. Next house will be one level and no high ceilings!!!

DizNee143
02-19-2008, 12:57 PM
me and my fiance live in a 1 bedroom 1 bath condo..its only 700sq ft..its little..but it works for now..we just bought it last may..we havent even been here a year yet...:mickey:

offwego
02-19-2008, 02:36 PM
A split level raised ranch semi detached. Aprox 2500 sq feet, 2 baths, 4 bedrooms. (the basement sold us, a finished "family room" and games room plus storage and closed of laundry room with full size windows)

our lot is a fair size depth wise but nothing much width wise.

Disney Doll
02-19-2008, 02:38 PM
We live in a 3BR 2 BA home approximately 1200 square feet. It is our starter home and we're looking to upgrade this year. We need more space! It's me (28), DH (34), DS (4 months) and 4 kitties.

:mickey::girl::baby::cat::cat::cat::cat:

bshaw96
02-19-2008, 03:15 PM
We live in a 1 1/2 story home on a corner lot in a very quiet subdivision. 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, 2000 sq. ft. The best part is the master bedroom is downstairs, and the other 3 or upstairs. 1 for dd, 1 for ds, and 1 for "storage" which will turn into a room for the baby we hope to adopt. :thumbsup:

magicofdisney
02-19-2008, 11:54 PM
We're 9mos into a home we had built last year. We LOVE it. It's a 4bd/2 1/2 bath 2 story home with a bonus room for home schooling. It has a spacious family room that suits us nicely as a large family of 6 (DH, myself, DS10, DDs7 and DS2). I can't wait till the day we can say we own it free and clear. Congrats to those who are mortgage free. :thumbsup:

pianobabe
02-20-2008, 12:36 AM
We live in a 4 BR/2 BA house with a Daylight Basement. The house was built in the early 1970's and my parents bought it back in 1988. My DH and I ended up buying it from my dad April 2006. We are slowly trying to redo it. Some of the wallpaper is ORIGINAL. I will NEVER put wallpaper up after we have all this down. It is an absolute nightmare. I know it will be worth it. With just 3 of us (DH, DS and myself) there is plenty of room at 2500 sq ft.

goofysbabe
02-20-2008, 08:24 AM
I have 5 in my family and we live in a home that was built in 1914. 3 bedrooms, 1 and a half baths, living room, dining room, kitchen, full basement & attic and a sitting area on the second floor. My house is HUGE!!! We are in the process of restoring it (one room at a time - very slowly). We have lived there almost a year now. I absolutely love it. My staircase is beautiful all original wood, That's the first thing you see when you walk in my front door. I have a HUGE pocket door that leads from the living room to the dining room. We have alot of work, but the bones of the home are great! Can't wait to see it finished - but that's along way away.

DisneyDog
02-20-2008, 01:16 PM
We live in a 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath colonial. It is 34 years old. We are the 3rd owners and have been there for just over 3 years. The 2nd owners were there for 20 years and never did anything, so everything was original to the house when we bought it. Imagine, 34 year old red shag carpets and silver foil wallpaper!!

We have been slowly redoing it, and have actually been making a lot of progress. We recently got a new kitchen and got one of the bathrooms finished. The house, at least on the inside, looks completely different than it did when we moved in. I was able to see it's potential, and it is now looking exactly as I pictured it could.

Oh, it is me, DH, and DS5 who live there. And one very large cat. (used to be 2 dogs. Then 1 dog and 1 cat. Then 1 dog and 2 cats. Then just 2 cats. Now just down to 1 cat...and that is all within one year :( )

Momof2boys
02-20-2008, 01:20 PM
We are currently in a 3 bed/2 bath 1610 sqft ranch that we built in 99. And we are in the process of building a new home - a 2100 sqft ranch that we should be ready to move in July.

c&d
02-25-2008, 03:54 PM
I live in a 108 year old Victorian house with 5 bedrooms, 1 1/2 baths, 2 fireplaces, about 2500sf. sitting up on a little hill.

It has a wonderful front porch where DH and I spend many summer hours sipping :wine: and watching the world go by. OK, so maybe it's only 5 cars going up and down our street but it's our little corner of the world. :D

Hull-onian
02-25-2008, 07:20 PM
We live in an eight room house, four bedrooms, living room, kitchen dining room, one office and one and a half baths. However, we have a beautiful shower and dressing room in the basement, fit for a princess and prince. We live 703 feet from the Atlantic Ocean. It's great.

wendy*darling
02-25-2008, 08:52 PM
We've been in our house for 13 years now. I think it's about 30-35 years old- and we are the 2nd owners. It's a pretty standard 4 bed, 2.5 bath colonial with a finished basement. It's about 2500 sq ft. plus an attached 2 car garage. We are on about 1/2 an acre, but have another 50 yd buffer of "green space" at the back end of all our yards in the development. So we really cannot see other houses behind us- just woods and the deer, birds, etc. We are right on the western edge of the Pine Barrens.

It's a nice town, but you have to drive to get anywhere. That took a while to get used to when we moved here from Chicago. No buses, no walking to the corner store for milk or the paper. We don't even have sidewalks.
Also, no sirens or street noises- but the birds and crickets kept us up at night for quite a few months! ;)

Kidsmom
02-25-2008, 11:45 PM
We live in a 5000 sq ft.,103 year old house with 6 bedrooms (2 on third floor with small kitchen and living room for the servants way back when), 4 fireplaces, and 5 bathrooms (only 2 showers and tubs are actually working well not needing new pipes).

We are shortly moving to a 101 yo. house with 6 bedrooms, 6 working bathrooms, 4 fireplaces, new kitchen and 20 year old re-done-gargare-now-guest-house with 2 bedrooms, kitchenette, and bathroom on 10 acres with gardens and a tennis court.

We are very excited!!

alphamommy
02-26-2008, 09:05 AM
We live in a single family, ranch style brick home, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, full basement (not quite finished, but it has indoor/outdoor carpet, and is usable). It's around 2000 sq. ft., and was built in 1998. We moved here in 2006, and have repainted most of the house (actually, my MIL did while I was sick).

I liked our previous house a little better, but like the schools here A LOT more!