PDA

View Full Version : Resort Upgrades

milhouse
02-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Do resort upgrades (value to mod, mod to delx)happen? Do they happen often? Is there any thing I can do to increase the chance to get upgraded or it entirely random based on the resort occupancy.

My crazy sister-in -law's friend came back from WDW last year and said her extended family (18 people) was upgraded from a mod to deluxe. I only half believe her.

DizneyRox
02-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I've never seen it happen actually. Heard about it however...

I would say your best best on an upgrade is to book a popular resort (hope they overbook) and pay as close to rack rate as you can. The more you pay, the better your chances of an "upgrade". Given the choice, a person paying $200 a night at AKL has a better chance of geting upgrades to concierge than a person paying $100 a night. Just an example...

KarenP
02-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I think this would only happen if a resort was overbooked and I think it happens very rarely.

BigRedDad
02-15-2008, 02:19 PM
The only time I have read of this happening is during construction. There are upgrades within a resort quite often: standard to preferred, etc. I have not really heard of anything like someone showing up at AsMu and being told "Congratulations, you are now going to CBR".

TanyaB
02-15-2008, 03:25 PM
I had it happen to me, though I foolishly didn't take advantage of it. I was making my reservations for my honeymoon at CBR in 2001 and they offered me a free upgrade to Animal kingdom lodge. CBR was amazing, but I'm now sorry that I didn't accept the offer!

karenrarintogo
02-15-2008, 03:49 PM
We were upgraded quite a few years ago (probably mid-90's) from what was then called Dixie Landings to the Contemporary. We received a phone call from Disney asking us if we would like an upgrade probably several weeks before we arrived. When I told them we were traveling with others, they upgraded all of us to the Contemporary. So it did happen at one time-not sure if it is still happening. :mickey:

Crow
02-15-2008, 09:34 PM
I think this would only happen if a resort was overbooked and I think it happens very rarely.

oh comeone Karen can't you hook me up?
I do remember the time you booked me at POFQ & the next day they announced the refurb so I go BC for a good rate..
Id be willing to take an upgrade when i get there soon

ldc12377
02-15-2008, 09:35 PM
I haven't had it happen to me nor do I know anyone personally who was upgraded but on our trip last summer, toward the end of our trip we decide that we would really like to stay a few more days. I went to the front desk to ask them if it were possible to extend our package. They said it wouldn't e a problem unless they were booked full, which sadly for us they were so we had to leave at our scheduled time. We were staying at All-Star Music. The checked all the value resorts for us to see if there were any rooms. The lady at the front desk then told me that they were actually overbooked at all four value resorts and that if all the people at were booked showed up and checked that about twenty total from all the value resorts would have to be upgraded to other resorts that had availabilities. She didn't say where they would be moved to (moderate or deluxe) just that they would be upgraded. So I guess if you are going during a busy time of the year, you aren't very picky about the room you get, don't have any special request about your room (the sooner in the day you check-in, the better your chances of getting your request), and you don't need to check-in in order to get your park tickets, then I would suggest that you check-in as late as possible if you want upgraded. Those people would have a better chance of getting an upgrade.

TheRustyScupper
02-15-2008, 10:51 PM
1) It does happen.
2) But, not too often.
3) It usually happens when
. . . a resort becomes overbooked
. . . a big group wants a resort, so they move others
. . . there are mechanical failures or personnel shortages
4) At check-in it is known as "a walk", since the accompany you to the next resort.
5) There is no way in advance to predict a move.
6) Just pay in the first place for the resort you want.

tinklvr
02-17-2008, 06:47 PM
We booked GF GV last Sept and we were upgraded to SL-:pixie:-oh how sweet. Now we are hooked and in Nov we just booked SL 'cause I dont think pixie dust will strike twice in a row.

mudpuppysmom
02-18-2008, 10:48 AM
I would say your best best on an upgrade is to book a popular resort (hope they overbook) and pay as close to rack rate as you can. The more you pay, the better your chances of an "upgrade". Given the choice, a person paying $200 a night at AKL has a better chance of geting upgrades to concierge than a person paying $100 a night. Just an example...

I don't know that I'd totally agree with this as we stayed at AKL on a military discount for $120/night std room and were upgraded to a deluxe savannah view room at check in!! That was sweet!!!

TheRustyScupper
02-18-2008, 11:10 AM
I would say your best best on an upgrade is to book a popular resort (hope they overbook) and pay as close to rack rate as you can. The more you pay, the better your chances of an "upgrade".

1) Please trust me, this is not accurate.
2) The price you paid DOES NOT influence an upgrade or move.
3) Neither does the popularity of the resort.
4) There are actually many factors that determine upgrade necessities.
5) There are also several factors that determine who gets upgraded.
6) It simply might be the first name that meets the nights needed.