PDA

View Full Version : Report: Toshbia to drop HD-DVD

Strmchsr
02-15-2008, 10:22 AM
With recent announcements, it was only a matter of time before Blu-Ray (supported by Disney) officially won the format war, but here's the word from the Hollywood Reporter: :woohoo:

The format war has turned into a format death watch. Toshiba is widely expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD format sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources say, after a rash of retail defections that followed Warner Home Video's announcement in early January that it would support only the rival Blu-ray Disc format after May.

Officially, no decision has been made, insists Jodi Sally, vp of marketing for Toshiba America Consumer Products. "Based on its technological advancements, we continue to believe HD DVD is the best format for consumers, given the value and consistent quality inherent in our player offerings," she said.

But she hinted that something's in the air. "Given the market developments in the past month," she said, "Toshiba will continue to study the market impact and the value proposition for consumers, particularly in light of our recent price reductions on all HD DVD players."

Immediately after the Warner announcement, the HD DVD North American Promotional Group canceled its Consumer Electronics Show presentation. The following week, data collected by the NPD Group revealed Blu-ray took in 93% of all hardware sales for that week. Toshiba subsequently fired back, drastically cutting its HD DVD player prices by as much as half, effective Jan. 15. But a hoped-for consumer sales surge never materialized; retail point-of-sale data collected by the NPD Group for the week ending Jan. 26 still showed Blu-ray Disc players ahead by a wide margin, 65% to 28%.

Software sales have declined as well. The latest Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales data show the top-selling Blu-ray Disc title for the week, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment's "Across the Universe," sold more than three times as many copies the week ending Feb. 10 as the top HD DVD seller, Universal Studios Home Entertainment's "Elizabeth: The Golden Age." Blu-ray Disc titles also accounted for 81% of all high-def disc sales for the week, with HD DVD at just 19%.

Toshiba had been pitching its discounted HD DVD players toward the standard DVD crowd as well as high-def enthusiasts, noting in its ad message that the new players would make DVDs look a lot better as well. And as a last-ditch effort, the company ran an ad during the Super Bowl -- a 30-second spot that reportedly cost $2.7 million. But in the end, sources say, the substantial loss Toshiba is incurring with each HD DVD player sold -- a figure sources say could be as high as several hundred dollars -- coupled with a series of high-profile retail defections has driven the company to at last concede defeat.

2Epcot
02-18-2008, 09:18 AM
I had decided a while ago to wait till the HD DVD dust settles before I would purchase a unit. Warner Bros. moving over to the Blu-ray side makes it seem more likely that HD-DVD will not make it. VHS beat out the Beta format years ago, even though Beta was better quality. Maybe by Christmas I can add a Blu-ray player to my list.

Disney Doll
02-20-2008, 04:39 PM
We were waiting as well. DH is in the tech business (kind of). When people used to ask him which would win out in the end he would joke and say- wait until we buy one and then buy the opposite of whatever we get. He had a Beta player years ago.

thrillme
02-20-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm personnally relieved. I'm still holding out on buying an HD TV because I KNOW I'm going to buy the wrong one. It's like standing in line at the grocery store. No matter how short my line is...it will take the longest.

I've been leaning a little more toward Blue Ray as long as it will upconvert old regular DVD's. I still haven't gotten rid of a lot of my video movies. I'm DEFINATELY NOT going to get rid of the perhaps a couple of hundred of DVD's.

I admit I'd really like a Blue-Ray DVD player that also has a vhs side...

RedSoxFan
02-20-2008, 05:38 PM
We have two Blu Ray players. It's hard to watch a movie that is not a Blu Ray. The picture quality is amazing.