PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones ReTheme

eric1334
02-15-2008, 01:38 AM
With the new movie coming up this May any word on the attraction getting an update like POTC did when those movies came out? A nice touch up would be cool.

NotaGeek
02-15-2008, 03:25 AM
:welcome: to INTERCOT!

Well, this is doubtful, considering WDI went out of their way to not theme the ride to any Indiana Movie in the first place. Although lots of people found it painful to the added characters, effects and other changes to Pirates, it doesn't seem so strange since the movies were made because of the ride.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye was made because the movies were a Hollywood phenomenon. Although there has been word of Indy getting a big refurb to get the ride back up to its former well-oiled glory, I really doubt WDI could even get Spielberg to sign off on using the new movie to re-theme the ride if they wanted to.

MegaDisney
02-15-2008, 09:13 PM
The Indiana Jones ride in Tokyo is already themed to the crystal skull movie so I doubt Disneylands will be changed.

Mufasa
02-16-2008, 11:46 AM
The Indiana Jones ride in Tokyo is already themed to the crystal skull movie so I doubt Disneylands will be changed.

Considering that the Tokyo attraction pre-dates the movie there really isn't a connection between the two (outside of the use of a Crystal Skull as part of the story).

An alternate storyline from Disneyland's Temple of the Forbidden Eye was created for Tokyo since the location of the Forbidden Eye (India/Asia) wasn't considered "exotic" enough for visitors in Japan so they settled on Central America and the mythology surrounding Crystal Skulls as a way to adapt the attraction for DisneySea.

In Tokyo's version compared to the original, the crystal skull in the attraction name serves as a protector (like Mara at Disneyland).

Indy has deciphered glyphs in the temple in Tokyo that he believes to reveal that the temple serves as the site of the Fountain of Youth.

Also the period of time in which the attractions take place is much earlier than Indy 4 which is set in the 1950s.

In case you were ever curious of how Disneyland's Temple of the Forbidden Eye fits into the Indy timeline- the attraction is set around 1936. We get this because there are references in the queue to Temple of Doom with Club Obi-Wan and Lao Che Air Freight appearing on boxes (Temple of Doom was first as the timeline of the films goes- set in late 1935).

There's also a great attraction "map" that appears on the wall by Indy's Office, past the safety film that was drawn up by Chuck Ballew in 1994 (a copy appears as Figure 111 on page 116 if you have the book Designing Disney Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance) that says the Temple of the Forbidden Eye was discovered circa 1935 in the Lost Delta Region of India by Dr. Jones and also has a the following comment on it by Indy in regards to the Observatory of the Future:

"I looked into the amulet, and saw a vision of myself and Sallah lifting the Ark of the Covenant out of an Egyptian Tomb. Vision of the future or just wishful thinking? - Indiana"

So that would definitely place the attraction timeline before the events of Raiders of the Lost Ark (as the film opens with Indy in South America it puts the events in 1936).

Dr_Nigel_C
05-04-2008, 06:42 PM
I read elsewhere on the net that Disneyland will be having a live, interactive "experience" happening in Adventureland during the summer to correspond with the new Indy movie.

Apparently (and I'll try to find the original quote/text), they'll have an Indy 'actor', plus others, out and about in the streets, windows, etc., interacting with guests, searching for some treasure, etc. Should be fun!

BrerGnat
05-05-2008, 01:10 AM
I read elsewhere on the net that Disneyland will be having a live, interactive "experience" happening in Adventureland during the summer to correspond with the new Indy movie.

Apparently (and I'll try to find the original quote/text), they'll have an Indy 'actor', plus others, out and about in the streets, windows, etc., interacting with guests, searching for some treasure, etc. Should be fun!

Really? I can't imagine that, what with the way the traffic flows in that area. It's already mass chaos and bottlenecks pretty much ALL DAY, especially in the summer. It's hard enough to get from the Bengal BBQ to the Indy Queue across the way (a whole 50 feet, maybe) in less than about 2 minutes.

Silver_Surfer
05-06-2008, 02:38 AM
I really hope indy will be open in mid march 09. It's always closed when I visit Disney LA. I have yet had the chance to ride it:( Can anyone give me a heads up? My son will be 11 this trip and hopes to ride it and Dumbo.

BrerGnat
05-06-2008, 11:56 AM
I really hope indy will be open in mid march 09. It's always closed when I visit Disney LA. I have yet had the chance to ride it:( Can anyone give me a heads up? My son will be 11 this trip and hopes to ride it and Dumbo.

Seeing as how that's "high spring break/Easter season" at DLR, your chances are excellent that Indy will be open. I've never seen it closed for refurbishment during a busy time of year. :thumbsup:

Silver_Surfer
05-07-2008, 02:39 AM
Seeing as how that's "high spring break/Easter season" at DLR, your chances are excellent that Indy will be open. I've never seen it closed for refurbishment during a busy time of year. :thumbsup:

I really hope so. My last visit 3/23-3/26/04 both indy and Dumbo were closed. The Tower of Terror was being tested. I really wanted to be Guinea Pig/ Test dummy:medic:.

brertosh
05-10-2008, 05:17 AM
Really? I can't imagine that, what with the way the traffic flows in that area. It's already mass chaos and bottlenecks pretty much ALL DAY, especially in the summer. It's hard enough to get from the Bengal BBQ to the Indy Queue across the way (a whole 50 feet, maybe) in less than about 2 minutes.

Worst place to walk in all of Disney!!

Crystal Palace
07-24-2008, 01:36 PM
I hope it doesn't change. It's perfectly wonderful as is. I wish they would stop "updating" rides for people who have only seen the movie and don't have an attachment to the parks and rides. It ruins the experience for those of us who love the nostalgia.

MegaDisney
07-24-2008, 04:15 PM

Here is the thread regarding the Indiana Jones Summer Shows (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=134119), and there is a front page story on this on the Disneyland Tab at the top of the page.