PDA

View Full Version : POLL about getting hooked on Disney

Stan
02-14-2008, 11:56 PM
OK I'm going to try this again- I was too slow adding the poll the first time.

How quickly did you get hooked on Disney?

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-15-2008, 02:25 AM
Growing up my family wasn't a big Disney family so we didn't have Disney stuff around the house or go to Disney for vacation. However my mom took us to every Disney movie when it was in the theatre. My first trip to Disney was in 91 for the Disney Magic Music Days Parade. I was very excited because I had never been but loved amusement parks (grew up near Cedar Point). For the moment I stepped into the park I was hooked. I loved it! Ever since I've been crazy about Disney.:mickey:

SBETigg
02-15-2008, 06:58 AM
When I was a kid, they used to air reruns of the original Mickey Mouse Club on afternoon TV. They would occasionally show clips of Disneyland and that made me want to go. And then the second Mickey Mouse Club installment came on and showed clips of Disney World, even better. But I was also very hooked on Disney movies and liked to think I was a princess. I fantasized about going to Disney World long before we actually went, at last, when I was twelve. I've been obsessive ever since.

My kids were born to it. My son's first word was Disney. "Dinney!"

Bethis26fan
02-15-2008, 08:35 AM
I didn't go on my first trip till I was 26 went went in 06. I don't know what I was expecting but I was just wowed at everything. From the time we checked in to ASMovies with all the detail in the bldgs to my very first time seeing the castle. It's hard to explaine to people here why we've made this into a yearly trip, but it just makes you feel like your a kid again.

SBETigg
02-15-2008, 09:45 AM
I didn't go on my first trip till I was 26 went went in 06. I don't know what I was expecting but I was just wowed at everything. From the time we checked in to ASMovies with all the detail in the bldgs to my very first time seeing the castle. It's hard to explaine to people here why we've made this into a yearly trip, but it just makes you feel like your a kid again.

Beth, that's how it was for my DH. Our honeymoon was his first trip and he was skeptical. I think he expected a big Six Flags type park. The reality blew him away.

c&d
02-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Mine was growing up watching the Mickey Mouse Club. My mother would put me in front of the TV with my "Ears" on and I would watch the show. Apparently it was the only TV show I would watch. I remember them showing the Dumbo ride and I always wanted to go. Growing up on Staten Island it never seemed possible.

Fast forward and when WDW opened in the 70's, my college friends and I went and I loved it.

I finally made it out to DL a couple of years ago and it was everything I had imagined and hoped it would be.

I married a CA boy and he had been to DL a bunch of times so his big excitement came when he finally got to go to WDW.

biodtl
02-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Growing up in the 70's we went a lot, since I had family nearby. But is was convenience more than anything else - I'm the only one that caught the "bug"

GrmGrninGost
02-15-2008, 02:46 PM
I grew up watching the movies and shows, and reading Disney books! I always wanted to go, but never had the opportunity until I was 11. Then I didn't get back until our honeymoon, 18 years later. Since, I've been back about a dozen times, and hopefully will visit many, many more in the future! :mickey:

Flower
02-15-2008, 04:55 PM
I was born into it.

I was born in 1973 and that was the first year I went to WDW, and I have only missed 1 or 2 years since, we have even gone up to 3 times a year.

My parents were middle-class workers that came from big families that did not have very much (Mom is 1 of 6 kids, dad was 1 of 11 kids), so for my parents, this was our once a year vacation to get away from everything and I think it meant a lot for them to be able to take me there growing up.

Sunday nights at our house was always Wonderful World of Disney night on tv, I have vague memories of the old Disney Animal show, and for as long as I can remember we would watch the parade on CHraistmas Day!

I love passing my love of Disney on to my boys, Brandon has been 4 times and he will be 4 next month, Ben has been 3 times and he is 15 months (well, technically 4 times ;) )

We were having lunch today and Brandon asked if he could watch Stacey on the computer after lunch - gotta love youtube and being able to watch the top 7 whenever!!!

The Flying Dutchman
02-15-2008, 07:02 PM
I wish I could say that I was a "lifer" but never got really into it until my first trip. My wife had been to WDW and DL numerous times before me, but I wasn't sold on the idea of honeymooning there until I saw it. Walking down mainstreet for the first time is a feeling i will NEVER forget. And just like that, I was hooked. (as can be seen in my signature :mickey:)

Stan
02-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Walking down mainstreet for the first time is a feeling i will NEVER forget

I'm sitting here trying to substitute other locations into your statement, and none of them make as much sense to me as Main Street USA in MK. :mickey: :thumbsup: I'm sure some non-Disney-fanatics would disagree, but they're probably not here on INTERCOT to object! :D

How about...
Stepping into Times Square for the first time is a feeling i will NEVER forget ?

or...
Peeking over the rim of the Grand Canyon for the first time is a feeling i will NEVER forget ?
(OK, I suppose that one could work)

or...
Walking down the Vegas strip... ?
or...
Sitting down in my buddy's Super Bowl sky box... ?

See what I mean? :D

SurferStitch
02-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Beth, that's how it was for my DH. Our honeymoon was his first trip and he was skeptical. I think he expected a big Six Flags type park. The reality blew him away.

Wow... Your DH sounds exactly like mine! Our honeymoon was his first trip (my second).

He was so sure that we should have gone to a tropical island for our honeymoon, but I persuaded him to do WDW (Grand Flo). A friend of mine stayed there for her honeymoon, and easily talked me into it. We weren't in the MK 10 minutes on our first day when DH said, "You know, we'll be back every year from now on." He was right! :cloud9:

BMan62
02-16-2008, 09:07 AM
First trip to WDW was DW & my fifth anniversary.

She had been there as a teen (late teens - late 70's) and kept wanting to go back. I never had the desire to go, plenty of opportunity - since I had a college friend [closest thing to a brother to me] who lives within an hour of the parks and I never took the time to stop on the way by.

Once she talked me into it, I was filled with trepidation, figuring that it would be a 'kiddie' park and I would be bored stiff - nothing there for me to get excited about. Add to that the fact that I have a decided fear of coasters and similar rides from a bad experience at Wildwood, NJ in my early teens, and I figured I would be sitting for long periods of time while she enjoyed herself.

We stayed at Caribbean Beach and once we got registered and shown our room, I started to relax, already impressed with the service. We immediately jumped on a bus and went to MK. Walking from the bus to the entrance was the last time I had any qualms about going to Disney. Once we walked through the passageway under the train station and actually entered the park, my jaw dropped in wonder and did not return to its 'upright and locked position' for days. I was, and still am, utterly amazed at everything about the WDW properties.

Before we left that trip we decided that this would be a trip we made every other year, just so there was enough time for there to be new and different things to see and do. That lasted about 18 months! Now, we are yearly visitors - if we can hold out that long for our 'fix!'

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
02-16-2008, 09:49 AM
I chose "born that way" meaning that my family was always "into" Disney.

When I was little we always went to Disney movies in the cinema, and we have many, many Disney-movies on VHS.

Than my first taste of real Disney, was a visit to (then) Euro Disney in 1994 and it is still my favorite memory!
Ever since that we visited DLRP every 2 years and in 2003 my little brother and I were surprised with a 10 day trip to WDW!!! we were absolutely ecstatic and that too was an amazing experience. Shortly after that we visited Disneyland in Anaheim and I think it was after seeing all three parks (Paris, Orlando and Anaheim) I became a true Disney-obsessive :D

I now have most Disney DVD's and immediately plan another disney trip when I come back from one

PirateLover
02-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I grew up during the second coming of Disney Animation, so that is when I first fell in love. I was born in 1985 so I got to see The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story etc when they first came out in the theaters. I vividly remember badly wanting a talking Ariel doll in 1st grade. My brother and I wore out our VHS of Sleeping Beauty. I was also a Disney Princess for 2 Halloweens, Snow White and Belle. I remember I just loved my Belle dress... I wish I knew where pictures were because I feel like the dresses back them were so much more accurate to the actual dresses in the movie. I never wanted to take that dress off.
We finally went to WDW in 1995. I don't remember too much about it actually, even though I was 9. I only remember negatives, which is kind of sad. 20,000 Leagues had just been closed forever, Snow White was down for refurb. I hated the food at Hoop De Doo Revue. My brother and I got in a terrible fight and I ran away and got lost on the Poly grounds in the rain. I was crying and scared, and no one could help me! Eventually I found my way back....I also remember being at that awkward age where deep down inside you are exited to meet the characters but then you feel like you shouldn't be because you're older so that was hard to deal with too.

Fast forward to 2002, I was 16 and much more confident in myself. I actually sought out characters and had a wonderful time with my parents. I still loved Disney just as much, in fact my friends and I would always sing Disney songs on the school bus!

I didn't really become a park addict though until I met my now fiance. We actually started dating the week I went away on my 2002 trip. He had been to WDW 4 times and loved it. We just started feeding off of each other and before you know it were back again together, without any parents. We managed to do almost everything in a whirlwind 4 days. Now it seems like each time I go, instead of getting tired of it I just want to go back more. It's killing me right now to know that we have to save money and probably won't be able to go back until our honeymoon, which is looking like 2 years out at this point.

OK, well, that's my Disney life story! Didn't really think I'd get that detailed about it... haha.

NJ Camper
02-16-2008, 01:41 PM
BOO HOO unfortnely for me my first visit wasn't til my then girlfriend now DW took me at 27 yeah i dreamed of a trip and heard others stories but til then it just never happened yeah its sad but now i just can't wait for the next trip we are planning the next trip before we finish the one we are on i just wish i could have went earlier then 27 think of the years i missed how sad !!!!!!:(:crying:

disneydeb
02-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Stan,
I wish you had "the first trip you made with your children" as one of the choices. I've always loved Disney since I went in 1972, but I fell in LOVE with it while watching my chldren take in the magic their first trip.

DisFan01
02-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Of course I was born that way! :D

BelleCiavo
02-16-2008, 05:26 PM
For me it was the Wonderful World of Disney every Sunday night. I was born after Walt died, but I'm pretty sure he still hosted it back in the early 70's. One time they showed the inside of the Haunted Mansion and that's all it took. I knew I would love the place and eventually was able to visit January 1986.

RoosMomKanga
02-16-2008, 06:21 PM
We grew up watching MM Club and WWoD on Sunday nights (it was the only time my Mom would let us turn the black & white TV toward the kitchen if we were still eating). I remember them showing DL and Walt sharing his vision for WDW. My GP lived in FL then, so my Dad decided we'd go while visiting them...a few months after it opened. I was hooked at 12 yrs. old. I got to take my DH (with our DD4) for his first visit when he was 32...there's nothing like going with a first-timer!:mickey:

Tink#64
02-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I voted for "1st visit", but I'm not sure if that's right or not. I grew up watching everyting Disney. I remember very clearly watching Walt on Sunday evenings! We went to see every Disney movie, but we never visited the parks. Our family vacations were always camping, and that was great, (we didn't realize what we were missing at WDW!).

Neither DH nor myself had ever visited until our 1st trip with DS's. I planned our 1st trip from the time our youngest DS was born. We waited until he was 4, it felt like we'd never get there!

When we finally got there - we were hooked! It was so hard to leave that we actually discussed trying to change our return flight to stay longer! Now when we think vacation - it's automatically Disney! We took last year off to do something different after visitng 3 years in a row, and it's just agony waiting for our trip this year! :wait:

Stan
02-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I wish you had "the first trip you made with your children" as one of the choices

Didn't think of that one... as it was it took me 2 tries to get a 7 choice poll submitted within the 5 minute limit. :whew: Next time I set up a poll I guess I'll do all my thinking and writing offline in a text document, so I can copy & paste within the time limits. Sorry, but as a software geek I'm not real impressed by the poll entry GUI (that's "graphical user interface" for the uninitiated). :twocents:

Looks like the first view of main street & the castle is the big winner. Makes me wonder what fraction of the general US population thinks MK is pretty much like Six Flags? :ack:

princessjojo
02-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Like many I can remember growing up watching WWoD on Sunday nights and the MMC, but for me, going to WDW wasn't an option or anything that was discussed in our family. At the time, my parents couldn't have afforded to take us. Afterall, they were young as well. After my parent's divorce, dad and step-mom took all of us on our first trip during Thanksgiving one year. It was ok, but quick. Went back later with a cruddy boyfriend, and for graduation, but they were "ok lets go I guess" trips, not really our first choice.

Today, it is so different. When I lost my job a few years back, I just said, we're going. I decided I wasn't going to live my life for the bank, but for me and my family. The kids were excited, but not jumping out of their seats excited. DH could have cared less. He'd never been before and imagined a Paramount type park like Kings Dominion or Bush Gardens-Williamsburg. I made up my mind that we were going and that was that. We all had a ball and I still look at those pictures today.

The family's second trip was just as great. We started planning is on our way home from the first. DH won't admit it, but he has things about the trip that he loves and we must do. And each time, he makes us buy photo albums just like the one previous just with the current years date. And he's the one to say, it really isn't as expensive as you may think it is overall.

My only regret is we didn't take the boys when they were younger. We often hear others say, I want to wait until the baby is older so he/she will remember it. It's not always about what you remember, but the look on a childs face when they see Cinderella or Mickey Mouse for the first time in real life. It's television come to life for them. And no, they may not remember it, but you will and it will always be special to you as their parent.

Bethanymouse
02-17-2008, 05:56 PM
I voted for being born that way! I dont remember a time where I didnt love disney world. My parents took me there when I was 3 years old. I think I loved it even then!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-17-2008, 06:38 PM
My first trip wasn't until 1975 I think. Back then it was just the Magic Kingdom and it was a one day visit. And then I just kept going back again and it kept growing and now even 2 weeks wouddn't be long enough.

RAIDER
02-18-2008, 08:07 AM
It has to be the disney movies and the tv programmes watching them when i was a nipper :thumbsup:

Mackflava99
02-18-2008, 09:22 AM
As a kid i always remembered the Disney show on sunday nights, i was always infatuated with going to Disneyland. We went when i was very young but i didnt remember much. Then we went to WDW when it first opened- i was amazed. ...So it started a trend, then i kept becoming more amazed- had kids and saw the joy on their face...
We were then hooked.

Not2Loud
02-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Kind of a hard question for me to answer. I voted for walking down Mainstreet for the first time.

I went to WDW countless times as a kid since it was within an hour. It was just a normal thing to me. It was always fun, but not what it is for me as an adult. DW and I went before we were married in 1999 and then in 2000 the day after Thanksgiving. Enjoyed them, but not in love.

In Jan 2006, we went with our DD (2 at the time) and other family members. 2005 had been a rough year financially for us and we were just on the start of the upswing. Those moments in WDW reminded me of the beauty of family, the beauty of watching your childs face each time a new exciting thing appeared, and the beauty of remembering childhood, and the wonder of imagination. Needless to say, I was hooked then. But it was the walk down Mainstreet that day and having some corndogs at the corner of Mainstreet late that afternoon that cemented it for me.

We went one more time in 2006 before DD turned 3 (DW had left-over passes from 1990's when her family had gotten multi-day passes).

I enjoyed planning our BIG family trip together in for Feb 2007. We stayed at AKL for one night and then FW Cabins for 8 nights.

In 2007, I made a total of 7 trips through WDW. Not all trips included lodging as I was passing through and took advantage of my AP.

I simply love WDW and the magic it brings to me and reminds me to "Keep moving forward."

:)

Caroleh
02-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Makes me wonder what fraction of the general US population thinks MK is pretty much like Six Flags? :ack:

That's what I thought for the longest time, Stan!!!

I remember the old World of Disney shows, it was one of the few shows we were allowed to watch growing up. When my DD was growing up I'd get her all the Disney movies, because kids had to have them. I had thought about going to WDW, but it was too much money and too far away, plus my ex would never go.

Fast forward to 2005...we had gone to Fort Lauderdale with friends and while we were there they mentioned that sometime we should go to WDW. I sat there saying "No way, it's not our cup of tea. We're not amusement park type of people." At this time my DD was fully grown and out of the house, why would 2 grown adults want to go WDW? That was in August.

In September, I had gotten a game piece from McDonalds that the grand prize was a free trip to WDW or DL and I laid it on my desk at work. On evening I was bored and I called my DH and told him to go to this website and enter this info "for kicks and giggles", because we'd never win. I forgot that we had even entered!! At the end of November, I got a packaged Fed Ex'ed to me saying I was a potential winner for the trip to either WDW or DL. I couldn't believe it!!! So for the next few monthes I knew I was going to go to WDW, because that's the park we chose to go to. I also made plans for my DD to go with us, because it was something I couldn't give to her when she was growing up. I did my research and figured out what we wanted to do, joined INTERCOT to help plan my trip. I had no idea which resort we were going to be staying at, so when I received my reservation # I went to the Disney website and found out it was going to be the Grand Flo!!!

When we got picked up by ME and the first drop off was WL, the 3 of us were saying WOW. By the time we got to see the GF were amazed. When I stepped into the park and saw the castle at the end of Main Street, I had goosebumps. Those goosebumps kept coming thoughout the trip.

It was the first vacation I had gone on that you didn't feel like you needed more time off to rest and we did more running around on that trip then any other. The DH and I agreed we needed to go back, but didn't know when. Shortly after the trip I told the DH I wanted to go back for my 50th birthday and I'd save my money to go. We went in Dec. for my 50th, but this time at WL. That trip he got hooked. Now I have to figure out when we can go again....

BluewaterBrad
02-19-2008, 04:14 PM
My first trip in 74, I was in the first grade. We stayed at the CR. I was hooked. I dont know if I am demented or super blessed, but from Jan.18th 2007 to Jan.18th 2008 we counted and came up with 7 different trips with a total of 28 nites in a disney resort! (we live about 3 hrs away) KEEP THOSE ROOM DISCOUNTS COMING GUYS!!:mickey:

Hull-onian
02-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Since I was a little kid, I was hooked. Loved the Mickey Mouse Club. Couldn't miss an episode.:cloud9:

Suz36
02-19-2008, 08:50 PM
I grew up enjoying Disney - saw the movies, went to the parks 2 or 3 times - but I was never obsessed with it. When DH and I talked about having children, one thing I was always so excited about was being able to take them to WDW. We waited until DD was 6, DS 3, and now there is no turning back! I don't know how I waited that long, and now I even regret that we did.