PDA

View Full Version : 300th post! Epcot of the 80s

jclightchasr
02-14-2008, 03:52 PM
For my 300th post I would like to hear from all you Epcot fans out there who have fond memories of the park in its early years. With the original Imagination, No tombstones, No wand in site and all the educational influences. Tell us your memories good or bad what you miss and what you are glad to see gone.

Long live Dreamfinder!

DisneyDD2
02-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I remember thinking Captain Eo was a blast! Somewhere, I still have some of the plastic figurines from that mini-movie. And I remember really liking the Horizons ride.

mrsgaribaldi
02-14-2008, 04:20 PM
I never made it to Epcot in the 80s so I don't know what I missed. I love it now, it's our favorite park:mickey:

Congratulations on 300 posts:thumbsup::party:

century3
02-14-2008, 04:49 PM
My first trip to Epcot was in 1983. Horizons was still under construction. :joy: (I’m glad I didn’t have to witness its deconstruction :cry: ). The Living Seas, Wonders of Life, Norway and Morocco were yet to be built and there were signs around World Showcase announcing countries that never came to be.

It was still EPCOT Center, and really always will be in my eyes.

This was a wonderful time to go to Epcot. The pavilions were educational in a much deeper way than now. If you love to learn (as I do) then this was your park to be at. Communicore had some nice displays and activities based on the themes of the pavilions with more information on the subjects. Sure the look of many of the areas was a bit 80’s futuristic, but it was the 80’s, so it was just futuristic.

I loved leaving the park at the end of the day, having had a wonderful time and having actually learned a few things. You learn things today, too, but the complexity and level of information you gained then seemed much more. :teach:

AwPhooey
02-14-2008, 04:55 PM
My favorite memory of EPCOT is Communicore East and West. As a seven year old in February 1988, I was amazed at some of the stuff they had.

My personal favorite was SMRT-1, a purple robot on a 360-degree pedestal. There were a number of phones around the pedestal which visitors used to answer trivia questions.

There were also a number of touch screen computer games that I was fascinated with. I believe one of them was where you could build a roller coaster and, if I recall correctly, there was one about an American flag.

On top of Communicore, there was Horizons and the original Journey Into Imagination with Dreamfinder and Figment. I really miss those attractions!!

mcjaco
02-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Our first trip was two weeks after the opening in 1982. Horizons was a hole in the ground, and so was the Living Seas.

The trees were tiny, Communicore was relevant and cool, Spaceship Earth was impressive (and quiet), and I loved Imagination, World of Motion (rode 10 times in one day).

I mostly remember sitting mesmorized at Ben Franklin walking up the stairs to Thomas Jefferson's desk in AA. I couldn't figure out how they did that.

CAS
02-14-2008, 06:09 PM
I'll always remember the last scene in World of Motion. It was called Centercore and housed the sparkling fibre optic city of tomorrow. It's to this day still the most inspirational thing I've ever seen. The combination of the emotional music and the awesome sight gave me so much hope and excitement for the future. I must sound silly saying that!:blush:

RhodeHog
02-15-2008, 12:11 AM
I remember going a few times after it first opened and some people not wanting to go because it was too much learning!

Whenever I left EPCOT I was impressed by the open frontier of the future and the possibilities of what we could accomplish as individuals and as cooperative nations and a desire to know how to be part of that change.

I remember trying on the virtual reality helmet (always a long line) and the talking robot in the front of Communicore. I also remember crowding in to see Captain Eo when MJ was not quite as creepy.

I still have a coffee cup with the old "futuristic" EPCOT logo. Good times.

AHOTE
02-15-2008, 02:02 AM
I remember getting a ticket to the preview center and taking the monorail over to the Epcot construction site. It would still be a year before the park would open but it felt great just being able to get that close to it. At that point I was hooked and I began making plans to get there for the official opening in October 1982. Well, that didn't happen but I did get back in November of 82.
I remember the acrylic trilon in the fountain in front of Space Ship Earth that was lighted at night. It made quite an impression. They need to put it back once the tombstones are removed from the plaza.
The fountain behind SSE had a display called Splashtacular if memory serves me correctly.
I remember listen to Don Dorsey play the Moog Synthesizer in Communicore. He played some of the music from The MSEP and the themes from some of the Disney movies. He even answered some questions using the voice synthesizer. It was quite a show. Of course they sold albums of his music that he graciously autographed.
I remember Surprise in The Skies on the World Showcase Lagoon. The speed boats made up like dragons, the ulta-light aircraft and parasails in a pitched battle of good over evil. That didn't last too long either, I believe a cast member died in an ulta-light accident and that it was thought there was too much potential for an accident involving park guests. It was a good show while it lasted.
I think there was even some sort of Barbi thing in the 90's at Epcot that didn't last too long, but that's not a bad thing; talk about not a good fit for Epcot.
I'm sure I'll be able to add some more later.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-15-2008, 02:32 AM
My first trip was in 91 and the first ride I went on was Journey Into Imagination. I remember after the ride ImageWorks had this area where you would act out whatever they told you to and the people on the other side would see you on a TV screen with a background. It was a western scene. I spent a couple of hours just at this pavillion.

My favorite countries were Germany, UK and Norway. I thought it was so cool to hear people speak with their accents.

Disney Doll
02-15-2008, 07:18 AM
My first trip to EPCOT was in '83 and then we were back in '86 or '87. I was just a kid so I don't remember much, but reading these posts is bringing a lot back. I do have fond memeories of the original Journey into Immagination. I remember the Dreamfinder and for some reason I remember a scene in that ride with the Dreamfinder riding som sort of balloon contraption. I also remember the lighted rainbow tunnel which I believe was in the area just after the Journey into Immagination ride. I too felt hope and excitement for the future after a day at EPCOT. Seems like that feeling is kind of lost now. Keep the memories coming! I'm really enjoying this.

Von-Drake
02-15-2008, 09:06 AM
I also visited in 83 and remember thinking as a kid, this place is only half done (as mentioned above... all the rides under construction) and it is awesome. Then I remember a few years laster after they completed those rides. My granddad loved World of Motion but his favorite was The Living Seas (he loved fishing). Mine was Horizons. I thought Universe of Energy was boring... a few big dinosaurs and a 20 minute movie, but now I miss it. Loved the Mexico ride!! Journey Into Imagination rocked. We bought my dad a Figment hat (Purple and Pink, that had horns coming out the top) we all roared every time he wore it. he still has the hat by the way, maybe I will try to convince him to wear it on our upcoming trip for his grandson.
Thanks for the stroll down Memory Lane.

mcjaco
02-15-2008, 10:36 AM
I'll always remember the last scene in World of Motion. It was called Centercore and housed the sparkling fibre optic city of tomorrow. It's to this day still the most inspirational thing I've ever seen. The combination of the emotional music and the awesome sight gave me so much hope and excitement for the future. I must sound silly saying that!:blush:

Absolutely not! That was the whole reason I kept riding it. That model was mesmorizing!

We bought my dad a Figment hat (Purple and Pink, that had horns coming out the top)

I still have mine. Along with Version 1 of the Figment stuff animal. I'll never give those up.

CaptainSad
02-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Here, remember these...http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/ecindex.htm

I really miss this stuff....

gwfx1031
02-15-2008, 12:43 PM
I liked making dinner reservations in the base of SE where you were on a video screen with a CM.

adoptionislove
02-15-2008, 12:49 PM
We went as high school students in Oct.1982. EPCOT had only been open a few days and it was SO neat to us.

I'll never forget Kitchen Kabaret. I remember sitting there thinking these giant vegetables are really neat!

CaptainSad
02-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Veggie,Veggie,Fruit,Fruit....

WDW84
02-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Spaceship Earth: Walter Cronkite and Tomorrow's Child! It was my and my sister's favorite. We always made that our first and last ride of the day at Epcot. :mickey:

TheMartellFamily
02-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Kitchen Kabaret I loved that. The other thing I remember was the 3-D movie that was before Captain EO that had the kids running though the field and butterflies became 3-D. I think that was called Magic Journeys. The first time we went to EPCOT was the end of October 82. It was just open a few weeks. I also remember World of Motion.

wedway76
02-17-2008, 06:50 PM
I liked making dinner reservations in the base of SE where you were on a video screen with a CM.

I think I went to EPCOT twice in the 80s. I never saw the original Figment. I really don't remember a lot. I do remember Horizons and The World of Motion, and I do definitely remember and I did like making reservations for restaurants in Spaceship Earth. You could actually make reservations for the same day. You didn’t have to call months ahead of time.

rj
02-17-2008, 07:18 PM
How about Body Wars! My wife and I went on it right before dinner. Not a good idea for my wife - she did not enjoy dinner.

RoosMomKanga
02-18-2008, 08:53 AM
'85 I was only able to join my family for one day of their WDW vacation. They still talk about me hustling them around so we could see everything. We loved making our dining reservation at SE. I still miss the more educational aspects of the place- it gets less and less every time I visit. Read my trip report from this week "Just Us". What happened to the museum pieces in Mexico?

My favorite? We still quietly sing "Listen to the Land" whenever we're on that one...I'm so glad at least the ride is basically the same and it's still educational! EC is still my favorite!:cloud9:

2Epcot
02-18-2008, 09:30 AM
I was just out of high school when we made our first visit in the 80s. Growing up going to Disneyland I had wanted to go to WDW for a long time. I didn't know much about Epcot when I got there, but fell in love with it immediately. I loved how educational it was, as well as entertaining.

The park had only been open 3 years at that time, and I couldn't get enough of it. I knew instantly it would be my favorite park. The music, the landscaping, the cool attractions. I remember being facinated with how the cars in the Universe of Energy moved. I was also blown away by the sets in the American Adventure. I tried to figure out how it all worked.

Everytime I come back I remember the feelings I had when I was there the first time. I was so happy that my entire family was there too. We spent two entire days there on that first trip. When I go back today, I always wish my parents, brother and sister were able to go along as well ... Though the memories are so strong from the first time, they feel like they are there enjoying it with me everytime I go. :mickey:

kbean
02-18-2008, 03:36 PM
I miss old Epcot alot, Horizons and wheel of motion. The rides were nice long interesting shows. Now its just a five min somewhat of a thrill ride. They are letting technology do to much of thinking and sometimes just need to think classic.

JPelle76
02-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Oh WOW!!! You just stirred up a lot of great memories! You guys are definatly right, I miss the "Educational" part of old Epcot! Lets see good memories....the Original Journey into Imagination! I remember the Rainbow Coridor that changed color as you ran through it! Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit! As my family always refered to in as NOT as Kitchen Kaberet!! I only have vague memories of Horizons, being that I was only a kid in the 80's but i remember thinking it was so cool to be able to push the button and choose the ending! I SO wish there was a way to be able to visit some of these old atractions!

CaptainSad
02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Speaking of the Land.. When did they do away with the guides on the boats anyway? I remember listening to the Cast Member telling us about what was going on as we floated along the route.

Gooftroop5
02-19-2008, 03:59 PM
I was 12 when we went in 85. Some of it wasn't there. I miss Journey into Imagination. Cause most of the countries weren't there yet the front half was my favorite. I miss the old EPCOT. However I like a lot of the new too. As a grown-up I rather go to EPCOT especially the countries but the MK is my favorite with the kids.

mcjaco
02-19-2008, 04:00 PM
^ About a year and a half ago. Surprisingly, it's one of the changes I've really liked. Now if they would just bring back the "Listen to the Land" song for the end, we'd be in business. :D

AdventurelandTikiGirl
02-20-2008, 11:35 AM
This is a great thread! It's a trip down memory lane. I loved riding the monorail to the park. The part where the monorail comes into the park is a little preview of what's to come. It was so exciting. I miss the newness and fun of the whole Journey pavilion. The water park where the water jumps from place to place amazed me. The old school Figment ride and then Imageworks were the best.

I also miss the part of Illuminations when each country would light up on their own. I have no idea why I liked this so much!

Now, I have to sadly add to the list, the previous versions of SE. I just rode the updated version a couple weeks ago, and was shocked at how terrible it was.

:sadwave: I wish they could bring it all back

Boost
02-20-2008, 07:31 PM
I liked Captain EO, Horizons and the orange smell, World of Motion (I was completely fascinated by the Lean Machine - anyone remember?), the unique stuff with all of the countries......and the Monorail to tie it all together....

century3
02-21-2008, 01:47 PM
I was completely fascinated by the Lean Machine - anyone remember?

I remember the Lean Machine! It was a neat little 3 wheeled leaning prototype vehicle that used to be on display at World of Motion. I loved it. I was walking through a store once and found a Hotwheel version I just had to buy. I used to love the post ride area of World of Motion with the displays of current and future technologies in transportation, the show with the robot arm and the bird, the wind tunnel display and yes, some current models of GM vehicles. In comparison, the end of Test Track seems to be more about getting you to drive a GM vehicle than about educating you about new ideas and concepts. Yes, there are one or two (maybe) things, but if you were ever at the World of Motion post ride area, you’ll know what I mean.

splashtest
02-22-2008, 01:43 PM
The Imagination Pavillion used to be the bomb digity. Captain EO, Dreamfinder, and the jumping waters were all so awesome. I also used to love the Worlf of Motion.

mac badger
02-22-2008, 06:39 PM
when i read the thread title my first thought was making restaurant reservations through a screen in a free standing kiosk. you touched the screen and a person came up- i thought that was so cool

i think i first went in 82 or 83, i was 13 i think. i loved the educational aspect of it, i thought it really gave my mind and my imagination a workout-especially horizons
and i had forgotten til someone else pointed it out-the fountain in front of SE that had a big acryllic monolith thingy that lit up at night, so much better than the graveyard

AdventurerKim
02-23-2008, 09:37 AM
I miss the retired EPCOT rides such as Motion, Horizons, the original Imagination, and Captain EO (I liked it better than Magic Journeys). I miss the old ImageWorks upstairs in Imagination and running around there and coloring figment on the computer screen. I also miss the old opening song for EPCOT. It always got me in the mood for EPCOT. I did a research project on the architecture of World Showcase which I loved doing and still have it.