PDA

View Full Version : Lost children?

GrumpyFan
02-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Have you ever lost your any of your children at WDW? Embarassingly, I have to admit to having done this on our last trip (Sep 07).

There was a bunch of us who had left MK and caught the Monorail over to the Contemporary to get some coffee. After we ordered, we walked outside to the bus stop and caught a bus to Downtown Disney. The bus pulls in to the Polynesian, and is just about to pull away, when my phone rings and it's my youngest son (10yo) calling me. At first I thought he was just playing around with me, as I looked around to see where he was, then confusion set in as I answered the phone and he asks, "Dad, where are you?", and I respond, "we're on the bus, where are you?". When he answered, "in the hotel, looking for you", I almost dropped my phone! The bus was just about to pull away, and I told my wife to have the driver hold, so I could get off and go back to the Contemporary. I practically ran upstairs to the Monorail station and caught the next monorail and rode impatiently all the way back around to the Contemporary. I found our son, very close to where we had left him, and gave him a big hug. It seems he was tired, and decided to sit down in one of the comfy chairs in the hotel lobby while we were waiting on our coffee, then he didn't notice we left, and we didn't notice we left him! Needless to say, it was a little un-nerving when it all happened.

Anybody else care to share your lost children experiences?

wedway76
02-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Nope! We did try several times but were unsuccessful.

jclightchasr
02-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Thank the Lord this has not happened to us but we have had a few close calls its good your son knew how to get in contact with you. Someone told me the other day that the monorail doesn't stop at the contemporary only passes through??? I thought that was a little strange obviously this is not the case.

MidnTPK
02-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Isn't it a 'lost parent' in Disney speak?:mickey:

Darbylew
02-14-2008, 04:24 PM
We were standing in front of Pizzafari when
my little granddaughter decided to walk down
the stairs to see the otters but of course we
did not know this. We were all in a panic but
qucikly found her. Thank goodness but it is a
scary time. We have told them now that if they are lost then they need to find the nearest CM
and tell them. Now that they are a little older
then some of them have cell phones which is a
blessing so they can call. That was great that
your son had a cell phone. They sure can come
in handy at a time like that.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
02-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Nope! We did try several times but were unsuccessful.

:funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

mrsHerbie53
02-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Thankfully, no. But I always make sure he has our cell phone numbers attached to himself somewhere. He is 9 now and I still do it even though he knows them, just in case. When he was little I was careful not to put his name on the info, just the cell numbers. I also make sure he knows what the CMs look like with the name tags and all. It only takes a split second and in those crowds it must be awful....

me...
02-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Thank the Lord this has not happened to us but we have had a few close calls its good your son knew how to get in contact with you. Someone told me the other day that the monorail doesn't stop at the contemporary only passes through??? I thought that was a little strange obviously this is not the case.

The Express monorail from the TTC to the MK doesn't stop at the Contemporary. But the Resort Monorail makes stops at all the hotels on the resort line along with the TTC and MK.

conwayjohn71
02-14-2008, 05:00 PM
We have 2 DD's and when we went last year, we made both of them lanyards with a photo of them on the front and thier first name, hotel we were staying at, grandmothers home number in case our cell phones were not picking up and our cell phone numbers on the back.

So everytime our youngest who was 5 at the time would get mad at us for not buying this or that she would show her card to a CM and say "can you call my grandmom, she will get this for me"......

the funniest thing about that is we were in toon town tent and she did that to one of the managers and they ended up giving her the stuffed donald duck:cloud9:, it was funny, after that we almost could not get her to stop

thrillme
02-14-2008, 05:22 PM
I did once at Tyhpoon Lagoon. He didn't want do the snorkle tank again and I did. There was no line so it wasn't that big of a deal. He was just going to wait on the bridge. Well he discovered he could see me in the submarine so he went there. ACK. I lost him for almost 2 minutes (I can panic quickly). I screamed for him and by that time he'd been watching me the whole time and was standing right behind me totally perplexed.

Not at Disney but I lost him one time at a hotel in Dallas. We had raced to the elevator (playing) and he beat me. The elevator was just getting ready to close and he got on but I didn't. I waited for the next elevator...of course by that time he realized I was farther behind than he thought...and I didn't make the elevator with him...so as I went down...he came up...we both looked around then he came down I went up...PANIC...I went back down (as he went AGAIN back up) and went to the desk clerk (I was ready to call the police...yes...for real...the police). FINALLY he came down and saw me at the front desk. Talk about an abbot and costello routine.

jwildflower1981
02-14-2008, 05:31 PM
:haha::haha::joy::joy::haha:
Nope! We did try several times but were unsuccessful. Funny!

mickey&missy
02-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Thank god no!

I made DD and DS ID cards for next trip with their names, our hotel, my cell, DH's cell etc

I found a lost little girl last trip. Well, she found me. Our family was walking through AK on our way to leave and a cute little girl walked right to me and said "I can't find my Mommy" I told her it would be ok and I would help her and stay with her until her mommy was found. I flagged down a group of CM's and they were going to take her away. I stopped them and said I thought that they were supposed to stay were the child was found, they kind of looked at each other funny. I was about to suggest that they call a manager or something when the Mommy walked up. She was sooooooo mad at the little girl! I mean fuming mad! She screamed at her (the little girl couldn't have been older then 4) and snatched her up and walked away. Not a word to me or the CM's. The Mom's reaction kind of took all of us back. I would have been completely panicked and so happy to see her safe and sound I proably would have cried!

thrillme
02-14-2008, 05:42 PM
I found a lost little girl last trip. Well, she found me. Our family was walking through AK on our way to leave and a cute little girl walked right to me and said "I can't find my Mommy" I told her it would be ok and I would help her and stay with her until her mommy was found. I flagged down a group of CM's and they were going to take her away. I stopped them and said I thought that they were supposed to stay were the child was found, they kind of looked at each other funny. I was about to suggest that they call a manager or something when the Mommy walked up. She was sooooooo mad at the little girl! I mean fuming mad! She screamed at her (the little girl couldn't have been older then 4) and snatched her up and walked away. Not a word to me or the CM's. The Mom's reaction kind of took all of us back. I would have been completely panicked and so happy to see her safe and sound I proably would have cried!

That's so sad. My DS was a LOT older when I lost him I only lost him for a couple of minutes (as I stated earlier he was right behind me). Yes I did cry and hug him (poor kid was completly perplexed because he wasn't lost). Nobody had found him before me but they would have DEFINATELY gotten my gratitude. The elevator incident (although tremendously hilarous to me now)...had me in tears and sick in my stomach. Oh my gosh...when he was 4...I swear that kid had a cloaking device. He'd be standing right next to me and I'd overlook him. If I didn't catch site of him in 5 seconds I would scream. He'd promptly tug on my shirt...Mommy I'm right here!!!

dolewhiplovers
02-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Yes, it was quite a long time ago and I am still incredibly embarassed about it. Our youngest son who is now 8 was 3 at the time. We were a party of 6 and it was our first time on Kali River Rapids. We all posed on the bridge after getting off the ride to take photos of our wet behinds and then laughing, walked away. About 2 minutes later, we realized that no one had Josh and I panicked. It seemed everyone thought that someone else had him. We found a cast member who asked all the right questions. She wanted to know where he was when we last saw him, what he was wearing (down to his shoes), his age, etc. She was so calm it was almost comforting. That dear woman got on a two-way to let the appropriate people know and the search began. She then retraced our steps with us. We had been looking in our immediate vicinity. She took us back to the ride and that smart little boy was waiting right where we had posed for out "wet" photo. I could barely see him through my tears. He was very angry when he stated that "you left me". We have always told our children that if they get seperated from us to stay right where they are and wait for a CM to come to them. He had done exactly what we had told him to do. Unfortunately, his mother in a panic, forgot. I still cry when I think of that experience. Now, everytime we walk into one of the parks (or any large gathering of people) we discuss what to do if any of us get seperated from the rest of the group. It is comforting to know If you ever need to find a lost child Disney has a plan that they put into effect immediately. It is an awful feeling to lose your child, always discuss what to do it that happens (and then remember what you discuss).

Beast_fanatic
02-14-2008, 05:45 PM
I haven't lost any, but I did find a couple on our trip in October.

We were early for our dinner ADR in Epcot, so we were wondering around the countries a bit, and we got tired and sat down on a bench for a moment to relax and people watch. I saw a couple of boys - maybe 10 years old, looking around confused with tears on their faces and no adults paying any attention to them. So, I got up and went over and asked if their parents were lost and they told me that they were.

They had been watching the drummers perform and apparently the parents had gone on, but the kids didn't. I promised them it would be OK, and that their moms (mums, as they were from the UK) would come back for them as soon as they noticed they were gone, and that the best thing was to just stay put. I had my DH go find a CM to help just in case. I managed to get their names (difficult as only one would talk, and his accent was a bit hard to decipher through the tears), and found out what his mum was wearing.

Hubby came back with a female CM who thanked me and dismissed me saying she'd handle it. I was fine with her handling it, but thought we'd stick around for a few more minutes as the one boy that was talking seemed to trust me. She started trying to calm them down, and had just keyed in on her radio when there was a commotion, and the mums came running through the crowd equally tear stained, and very glad to see the boys. They also thanked me, and everything was OK in the end. :thumbsup:

kakn7294
02-14-2008, 05:54 PM
We've never lost our kids, but in December 2006, we lost FIL's wife numerous times (she's a perfectly competent adult in her mid-50's). The last straw was when she wandered away in AK and ended up all the way across the park from the rest of the group. She called FIL on her cell phone and was reaming him out but good. DH and I finally left the rest of the group by Kali and went to find her by the bridge to Camp Minnie-Mickey after we told her to name a landmark she was near and then stay put. When we got there, she wasn't there as she had wandered away again. Luckily for her, she wandered back just as DH had decided he'd had enough of her antics and was about to leave her behind. Somehow, though, we were all wrong to leave her behind whenever she wandered off.

Disneyatic
02-14-2008, 05:59 PM
We almost lost our daughter and she still berates me about it today, 2 years later!

It was our very first trip to WDW and she was 6. We were at the train station in Toontown and the train had just pulled in and everyone was starting to board. Right about that time I saw Mary Poppins (my absolute most favorite character) come out and as we were going thru the gate I said "Come on, it's Mary Poppins" and I took off for her. Right as we got up to her and I was getting the camera out I heard the most awful cry of "MOMMY" and turned around and our daughter was standing in the train loading area about 15 feet away and crying! I am SO glad that she didn't get on the train.
Needless to say I felt worse than awful and we rushed over to her and she said "You left me". Oh I just wanted to crawl under a rock. We comforted her and apologized and then I got scolded by Mary Poppins :blush:
She will still tell people that her mom left her at the train station for Mary Poppins and I still apologize to her for it to this day.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
02-14-2008, 06:50 PM
The term depends on which one we have. If we have the child, it's a Lost Parent. If we have the adults, then it's a Lost Child. 90% of the time, it's the adults who go off and the children are exactly where they were left (or a little from their spot since a CM has found them).

And sadly, it's a common reaction for parents to start screaming at their kids when they are reunited. I've seen it hundreds of times, and I try to explain to them that they just found their child who was scared and they should be comforting them, not yelling.

The best place to look for a lost child is Baby Care. The majority of the time, this is where they will bring the child if they can't find the parents immediately. We get calls about every 15-20 minutes there asking for Lost Children. One thing not to do, is not to run up and down Main Street screaming. There is only one or two of the family, and there are hundreds of CM's and security. If you lose your child, contact a CM and we can spread out and cover more ground for a quicker recovery. Plus if we do find the child, it's harder to reunite you guys if the parents are running around everywhere.

As you can see, I've dealt with this situation several times....in the last week alone.

GrumpyFan
02-14-2008, 07:03 PM
And sadly, it's a common reaction for parents to start screaming at their kids when they are reunited. I've seen it hundreds of times, and I try to explain to them that they just found their child who was scared and they should be comforting them, not yelling.

Sad indeed! I can't imagine yelling at my kid for such a thing! It's got to be a somewhat traumatizing experience to look around and not see ANYONE you recognize...

As you can see, I've dealt with this situation several times....in the last week alone.

I would like to say a heart-felt "thank you" for the work you do! We so appreciate it!

scootch713
02-14-2008, 08:09 PM
I take my two young daughters to WDW ALONE! Thankfully, have never lost one of them. I do tape my cell phone numbers in their shoes.... and they know to find a cast member to call me.

IC10
02-14-2008, 08:27 PM
We were the "lost parents" I thought my husbadn would take our DDthen 2 to get coffee and he thought I would take her to meet our DS then 5 and my parents at the front gate. We both turned and walked away and left her in her stroller. There were quite a few cast members standing around the stroller when we walked back up main street. I blame my husband he blames me and my parents cannot say anything cause they dislocated her elbow the next day swinging her. She is fine sassy 12 year old now and we will never win parent of the year.

TinkiTime1989
02-14-2008, 11:37 PM
We lost my little cousin when she was 2. We were in Frontierland and my aunt thought she went with my uncle and her older brother to go to the bathroom. My uncle thought she stayed behind with us. When he came back without her they panicked. Thankfully there was a CM nearby and they handled the situation very well. We told them exectly what she was wearing and they immediately had people looking for her. Apparently she had seen a character greeting and decided that would be more fun than waiting with everyone else. She was taken to "lost and found". Unfortunately, she couldn't talk very well and when asked what her name was it came out more like Wawen Torm instead of Lauren Storm. At least she tried lol. We were so happy when she was found and for the rest of the trip she got anything and everything she wanted! She doesn't even remember it now, but the rest of our family sure does.

GrumpyFan
02-15-2008, 11:13 AM
This might be a good time to remind everybody of a tip I read here (or somewhere) a while back.

Take pictures of your kids every day of what they're wearing before the day gets started. This way if you do happen to lose them, you have a good, recent reference photo.

With a digital camera, it makes it so much easier to do this. We usually do this while waiting in line for the bus, or at breakfast.

TheRustyScupper
02-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Have you ever lost your any of your children at WDW? Embarassingly, I have to admit to having done this on our last trip (Sep 07).

1) At least it wasn't anything valuable, like a wallet or camera.
2) Now, THAT would be embarrassing.

GrumpyFan
02-15-2008, 11:48 AM

Sounds like you've got a story to tell.

I did lose my sunglasses once, but I wasn't embarassed about it. ;)

DisneyDog
02-15-2008, 02:40 PM
I've never been in that situation, thank goodness. But, a few years ago, I learned a really great idea right here on Intercot --

Every morning, before you leave your hotel room, take a digital photo of your child. That way, you will have the most recent photo of him/her in exactly what he/she is wearing that day. That way, if you do lose your child, and you are too upset to remember what clothing he/she was wearing, you'll have a photo of it. You can always delete it at the end of the day if it isn't a good photo:thumbsup:

Von-Drake
02-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks. That is a great idea.

TheRustyScupper
02-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Sounds like you've got a story to tell.

1) Well, losing the wallet & camera wasn't really all that embarrassing.
2) It was the 85 year old grandpa attached to it that was embarrassing.

rubato
02-15-2008, 04:25 PM
This situation is so scary to me that, before our first trip, I made a necklace for my son that says "Call my parents at " and has our cell phone numbers on it. I told him that if we get seperated, just go to the nearest CM and have them call us. It's just eased my mind so much!

joanna71985
02-15-2008, 04:34 PM
I have been on both sides of it. My parents lost my sister when she was about 2, 2 1/2 (I was 5). We were in Fantasyland, and were heading to get ice cream when we noticed that she wasn't with us. My parents freaked. They put me, my baby brother, and my older sister on a bench and started searching for her. About 15, 20 minutes later we found her. And ironically it was my older sister who found her. The funny thing is, that this wasn't the first time this happened to this sister. For some reason, my parents keep losing her in different places.

I have also dealt with lost children while at work. I have 2 that come to mind.
1) I was working at the 7 Dwarves Mine (a shop in Fantasyland) when a couple came up to me and told me that a little girl had been wandering around in front of the Snow White ride by herself for several minutes. I went over, and this little girl (about 2 or so) was standing by the railing for the ride, with no shoes. I kept her with me, and a Ops coordinator went to look for her parents. He eventually found them, and told me the story. The family had been at Ariel's Grotto (hence the no shoes). Somehow she had slipped away, and made it across Fantasyland to the Snow White ride. When the family made it to us, the mother was hysterical. I felt so bad for her.

2) I was working Dream Along with Mickey at the castle, and it was in between shows. A boy (about 11 years old or so) came up to me and told me he had gotten seperated from his party. He said that they had been on their way out of the park, when he got seperated. I told him we should stay there for a few minutes (in case they were backtracking) and then we would look for them. So we stayed there for about 10 minutes, then we started heading towards the exit (in case they had gotten that far). Sure enough, as we were heading down Main Street, he spotted his party. They had made it to the exit without noticing he was gone. But were they happy they had found him? Nope. They starting berating him that he had gotten lost. I felt really bad for him.

jpH/keD
02-15-2008, 05:26 PM
My DH took our DD6 to the bathroom at WL while we were eating dinner at WCC. I stayed at the table w/ DS4 and our group. He came back to the table w/out her. I asked "Where is Allison??" He said she told him to go and she could find us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you seen that lobby at Christmas time w/ the tree and everything??? I immediately got up and went to look for her! She had gotten disoriented coming out of the restrooms and followed our pre arranged plan to find someone in a uniform. She found someone at the front desk and they were getting ready to find us at the restaurant. I saw her across the lobby and went over but it was a SCARY moment for me!
She on the other hand was totally calm since she and I had discussed this.First she gave them our name as we hold all the table ressies in one name so its easy for the kids to remember! ANd she had memorized my cell phone # so she was just going to have them call me if the other didn't work!!!!!

Fortunately it worked out but she is amazing! Kids can do more than you think!! They do listen!

RoosMomKanga
02-16-2008, 11:51 AM
I was a "Lost Parent".:blush:

The problem was we actually did "too good" of a job on training him (and yes, we did the sticker with info. in his shirt every day). Before the trip and during the trip..."What do you do if you find yourself alone/lost...go immediately to a CM and tell them". Unfortunately, this was back in the days of the walkie-talkies (I think cell phones were "Bag Phones") and we were at TL.

Arriving at TL we'd set up under a cabana with a nice view of the kiddie boat playground pool area (4 adults). When we got to TL we pointed out to them what the CM's were wearing, including the Lifeguards in bathing suits. My oldest DS was 6, turning 7 that week, and was playing there with his sister 10 and 2 cousins-6 &11. He came down off the boat on the opposite side from us (lots of different stairs to is), found himself alone, and went directly to the CM there.

Within a minute were all looking for him. I asked the CM next to me if they'd found anyone "No", so within a minute I was headed for the "Lost Parent" place, which is all the way at the front of the park (by the time I'd taken that long walk from the back of the park I had tears coming down my face...Of course the other Adults/DH had already gotten the word that he was fine...did I remember the walkie-talkie so they could tell me that, no.).

When I found the place, he had just arrived before me with the CM and was happily sitting on a bench with a big cookie...I think I kissed him about 100 times and thanked the CM until she was embarrassed!

We then had the talk "OK, now take just 1minute when you're lost and see if you can find us where we said we would be."

divinedi
02-16-2008, 12:45 PM
We were in DW Feb. 1997, and my middle child, 7 at the time, stuck to me like glue the entire time we were there, except for a brief few minutes when we were in the shops along main street in MK after the fireworks, so you can imagine how BUSY it was. We let go of each other to look at something, and before I knew it, I couldn't see her anymore. My father went in one store, I and my Mom in another, calling her name the entire time, not caring about the stares of other visitors. My brother and his family had sat down in between the stores in case she came back that way, and just as I was coming out of one store, my DSIL went running into another, and came back with her before I was barely out of the store. Well I went running for her, hugging the daylights out of the poor child who wasn't 100% sure what was happening (she wasn't lost of course, just looking at things!). I was crying, incredibly relieved that she was with us again, and looked over at my brother who seemed a little annoyed, not sure if he thought I should be angry with her, which never even occurred to me to be. I don't understand that mentality at all, it's not like any of them do it on purpose! How can you get angry when you are in DW, we are in total awe of everything as adults, I can't even imagine what it's like for the kids, and then to get angry with the little ones because they get starstruck and want to see everything, it's no wonder their concentration isn't totally on us parents! Besides isn't it our job to look after them, not the other way around? Not that we don't make mistakes, I did too, with thankfully a happy ending:cloud9:, but then to blame the child............how is this even remotely okay to some parents:mad:? I honestly just don't get it!

Sorry, rant's over! :blush:

sleepycoconut
02-17-2008, 10:38 PM
We lost our youngest son (2 at the time) on our last trip to WDW. We went with another family, so there were 9 of us total, and had just arrived at MK and were so excited we couldn't decide what to ride first! As we were standing there discussing our options whether it should be POC or Aladdin's Magic Carpets, DS decided that Aladdin should be first. As soon as the rest of us decided that it would be POC we looked down and he was gone! DH and I were beside ourselves. DH and the rest of our group stayed put and talked to CMs. I ran to baby center! When I got there they radioed in that he had been found. The little bugger decided that he wanted to ride the magic carpets and elbowed his way up to the front of the line. The people at the front of the line were like "who is this kid" and contacted a CM.

The whole event lasted less then 10 minutes but it was terrifing! The CMs handled it beautifully though.:thumbsup: When we finally found him all that we could do was hug him and hold him close. I can't even imagine a parent wanting to yell at a child after that kind of an ordeal.

mudpuppysmom
02-18-2008, 10:42 AM
I really did think there were only LOST PARENTS, never lost kids!!

I have thankfully never lost DS (and I take him quite frequently by myself, so he's kinda hard to lose if it's just he and I).

We did find a little boy one day in Epcot near the boat in Norway......we took him to a CM and it happened to be a supervisor so we left him there with the guy and as we were walking away his lost parental units came and retrieved him.

garymacd
02-18-2008, 11:29 AM

Rusty, you crack me up!!!

kbean
02-18-2008, 03:29 PM
What do they do wth the unclaimed children?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
02-18-2008, 09:45 PM
They put them to work at Small World.

After 8 hours, OCPD is called in and they take over. And yes, it's happened at least 5 times I've personally seen. Parents do try to leave their children at WDW.:mad:

crazypoohbear
02-18-2008, 11:19 PM
After 8 hours, OCPD is called in and they take over. And yes, it's happened at least 5 times I've personally seen. Parents do try to leave their children at WDW.:mad:

Huh?? They really try to leave their kids there???

I thankfully haven't lost my kids yet, (I have tried sometimes) My worst fear would be losing them at the water parks I would be in a complete panic.
Once, we were at the water parks and I PULLED a little girl up from underneath the water, under our tubes and paddled her back to shore, her mother was sitting with her back to the water and didn't even thank me for pulling the girl out of the water!

murphy1
02-19-2008, 11:37 AM
I haven't lost mine (sometimes I have tried to leave dh there LOL), but have seen a lost child incident on every trip I've taken in the last three years. Let me tell you, it is the scariest and most heartbreaking thing you will see. I stayed with one mom who a CM was comforting and they found her son, this was near HM (that area gets super crowded) and then another time at GF, we were in the lobby and security was looking for a kid, who thought it would be funny to hide from his parents!! The CMs are fantastic about dealing with this issue.

laward32
02-19-2008, 12:11 PM
I haven't had this unfortunate experience. But this is what we did in case of separation. I wrote my cell phone number on a piece of paper and the girls put it in shoes. Actually is was my oldest daughters idea. I thought it was pretty good for a 7 yr old. She thought she may not remember the number herself if she got scared.:mickey:

AXOAlum
02-19-2008, 12:57 PM
We did in Jan 06 - and actually, DS (now 5.5yo) had a nightmare about it just last week! It was us (DH, me, DS then 3.5), my parents, and my sister, DBIL, and their kids (4 kids ages 3.5-9). So a big crowd of us and we were constantly "counting the kids" to keep up.

Well we were at MK and had come out of HoP and a parade was going to be starting, so we sat there to wait. I decided to go with mom to the Christmas Shop, and DH said "well, I'll go get the stroller and then DS can rest" - well we didn't realize that DS (who is a clone of his father!) had followed DH around to the little market area (where they sell fresh fruit) to get the stroller.

I realized before we went in the shop that DS was not in sight, so I went and asked DH where DS was and he said "I thought he was with the family waiting" - panic set in!! Of course we had the info tag (safety pinned to the inside of his pants pocket) and he knew to look for another mommy (at that time, he didn't understand the CM nametag thing) and show her his tag but to stay put rather than wandering off. Fortunately, a CM working in the market saw him standing there, and we were reunited within a couple of minutes (felt like hours to me!). But he did a good job in not wandering off, and he remained calm. I still remember my mom grabbing my shoulders and saying "stop crying - you don't want him to think he's done something wrong" and she was right. I of course was overjoyed to find him - and he did nothing wrong, so he got tons of hugs from all of us.

I can't believe that two years later, he can recall the entire incident!

vamaggie
02-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Besides isn't it our job to look after them, not the other way around? Not that we don't make mistakes, I did too, with thankfully a happy ending:cloud9:, but then to blame the child............how is this even remotely okay to some parents:mad:? I honestly just don't get it!

Sorry, rant's over! :blush:

My thoughts exactly! I have never lost a kid but did find one at the beach. We were staying at a high rise hotel and when the elevator arrived on our floor,(the 7th floor) a little boy ran out and then back in. There was another mom and a boy in there but they said he was not theirs, he was on when they got on at 10. We stopped at each floor checking for someone looking for the boy but no one. We tried to ask where mommy was but he really couldn't tell us anything except "pool". When we got to the lobby, I took the boy & went to the outdoor pool and the other mom went to the indoor one. No one looking for the boy at the outdoor pool so we went to the lobby desk--no one they knew was looking for a boy. Just as we were about to hand him over to the desk clerk, the mom came up. Apparently they thought one of the teenagers in the room was watching the boy and no one realized he had gotten out. The mom wasn't really upset or bothered or even annoyed just like "Oh well he loves elevators". Some people I just don't get!

MickeyChick
02-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Before we left, I made address label stickers that said "if found, please call XXX-XXX-XXXX," my cell phone number. We stuck them on our cameras, our stroller, our mugs and on the back of each of my sons' shirts every morning.

While we were there in January, I was sitting outside Pooh's Playful Spot in MK and saw a little girl running in and out calling for mommy. I didn't approach her because I thought that might be scary for her-- me being a stranger and all. So I grabbed one of the cast members who were there attending Tigger and she went over to the girl and radioed to someone. Within a few minutes a distraught mom ran over and she went into the play area with the little girl.