PDA

View Full Version : Bags at the Park??

Julie1221
02-13-2008, 11:19 PM
What kind of bags should I take to the parks? What's accepted to take on rides such as SM RNR, etc...
I'd like to stay away from big backpacks and stay with something small.
Thanks

Dopey's Girl
02-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Lots of people have backpacks...I just carry a smallish purse (it's about the size of a DVD case) that I can wear across my body so I can have my hands free. It's big enough that I can fit my camera, some sunscreen, money, my park pass and some meds.

I would say keep it smaller and simple. You have to get any bags you bring in the parks checked, so the lighter you can travel, the easier that whole process is!

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-13-2008, 11:50 PM
I carry a drawstring backpack. Something I can fit a good amount of stuff in but that is light.

Tink#64
02-14-2008, 01:06 AM
We all wear packs/pouches, myself, DH & both DS's! I know alot of people don't like them, but they work great for us. Totally hands free & everyone carries their own camera, poncho, snacks & DS's have small autograph books while DH & I also have water bottles that hang from our pouches. I also carry the tylenol, bandaids & sunscreen in mine. Oh did I mention - mine is DISNEY! I love it!

At night sometimes we trade in the packs for a backpack if we want to carry jackets or light up stuff for DS's for a night time event! I see alot of people with back packs all day, but I know my back would just scream if I did this. I would just say, carry as small of a bag as possible - no matter the type! My mom bought a tote bag that matched my pack at DTD & she caried it one day in the MK & then she traded it in for her pack! :blush: But the tote bag was kinda big, & I know I couldn't have done it either! :blush:

Tygger7
02-14-2008, 07:38 AM
We all wear packs/pouches, myself, DH & both DS's! I know alot of people don't like them, but they work great for us. Totally hands free & everyone carries their own camera, poncho, snacks & DS's have small autograph books while DH & I also have water bottles that hang from our pouches. I also carry the tylenol, bandaids & sunscreen in mine. Oh did I mention - mine is DISNEY! I love it!

At night sometimes we trade in the packs for a backpack if we want to carry jackets or light up stuff for DS's for a night time event! I see alot of people with back packs all day, but I know my back would just scream if I did this. I would just say, carry as small of a bag as possible - no matter the type! My mom bought a tote bag that matched my pack at DTD & she caried it one day in the MK & then she traded it in for her pack! :blush: But the tote bag was kinda big, & I know I couldn't have done it either! :blush:

Yes, you can all start laughing now, because I too carry a Disney "fanny pack". It's so much easier to get through Security and leaves me hands free all day. You'd be amazed at what I can fit in one of these things. :blush:

I know a lot of people carry backpacks loaded down with stuff, but it's just too cumbersome for us. My advice: Stick to carrying the minimum amount of items that you think you'll need and travel light. Even if you don't want to do the fanny pack and want to do a backpack instead, don't load it down too much....trust me, it gets heavier & heavier as the day wears on. :D

Von-Drake
02-14-2008, 07:40 AM
We bought a fanny pack a few years (5) ago in EPCOT, and now it is like tradition. Used mainly for holding ponchos and the camera, etc... Works great and we trade off who carries, wears it.

kakn7294
02-14-2008, 08:03 AM
You name it, I've used it! My favorites have been the fanny pack and the drawstring backpack. Both leave you hands free - the backpack has the disadvantage of leaving all your stuff behind you. I'm a frequent camera user and ended up carrying a separate camera bag anyway. The fanny pack is more convenient for the camera but is highly unattractive with my large build. This year I have a small rectangular bag with organizer pockets in the front for money, credit cards, and tickets and an open pocket in the back for other stuff and my camera. It has a long, soft strap and I can wear it either as a shoulder bag or cross-body bag. It's large enough to hold what I need but doesn't have a lot of extra room to tote around unnecessary things - something I have found happens with larger bags.

Darbylew
02-14-2008, 08:39 AM
We all use a fanny pack. It is a Disney one of
course. Then we also take a backpack. We
carry snacks, wet wipes, water, ponchos, band
aids, etc in the backpack. We take turns with
it so that makes it easy. At each park you are
requires to open your bags to have them all
checked before entering the parks. We find it
not so bad and you can carry the backpack on
the rides. :mickey:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK
MARCH 31 FOR A WEEK.........:D

Julie1221
02-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the information it is much appreciated!
What about for rides? Do you take them on the rides???:blush:

kakn7294
02-14-2008, 09:12 AM
You can take your pack on rides - there's usually a mesh pouch provided to place smaller packs in. Usually though, I just hold it or in the case of the fanny pack, wear it. A backpack crammed between your knees with one leg through a strap isn't going anywhere, even on RnRC! If you are looking specifically for a small backpack, drawstring ones are great. If you want a more formed type of bag, the purse-kind are great (but sometimes expensive if you get a brand-name) or you can often find decent ones in the baby and kids' departments - I have a great little Steeler one that I use for work and have taken to WDW with me.

rubato
02-14-2008, 09:23 AM
We took 2 small (and I do mean small) backpacks. We are very budget oriented, so I needed room for a water bottle and snacks along with all the necessities. You can just wrap a strap around your leg on all of the rides (or at least the ones that go upside down). I used the mesh pouch in front of me on a lot of the rides, and my bag didn't ever come out.

We saw a lot of people with huge backpacks while we were there. And, even one guy with a rolling suitcase type backpack. I just wouldn't want to deal with all of that. But, I bet they didn't have to pay for any food while they were there!:)

AuntDJ
02-14-2008, 09:23 AM
I use a smallish messenger style bag..but I have used them all as well...backpack, fanny pack, totebag, purse...It seems I started with the largest on my first trip and have narrowed it down to the fanny pack with this last trip.

I also find the type of bag I carry is determined by who is with me. For example, this last trip, I was with my family, and my dad used an ECV, so my bag was very small as he had a basket to put our jackets and stuff in...If I am by myself with one of the kids, I use a slightly larger bag as I like to carry wipes and sunscreen and stuff with me.

One more thing, I agree with Kahn, use a bag that keeps the camera accessible, so you can get it quickly for the unexpected "magical" moments.

Have fun!
DJ

disneymom15
02-14-2008, 09:51 AM
I use to use a clutch wallet on a string. Surprisingly I could fit quite abit in it. I would leave the checkbook at home and I could fit sunglasses, tylenol, kleenex, cell phone in that section. I'd hang my umbrella through the strap, so I'd be hands free. Last trip a bought a crossbody small bag and I love it. I'm able to fit more in it, including camera. Best part is I don't worry about losing it.

crazy4tink
02-14-2008, 10:17 AM
We carry a backpack. It's a clear plastic one that originally came with sand toys in it for the beach! It was easy to get through security because it was see-through and all 4 of us carried it througout the day. It really worked out well to hold the camera, pins (DS doesn't like the lanyard around his neck), water and "supplies" for the whole family. And because we traded off pretty often, no one really cared about carrying it for an hour or so.

As for rides, we just dropped it at our feet (or wrap it around an ankle on the "thrill" rides). the parks also have lockers that you can rent, but I'd hate to have to keeping going back to one area for my needs.

tink2006
02-14-2008, 10:28 AM
I carry a fanny pack for immediate needs such as camera and money. We also carry a back pack. We have a backpack for ponchos, water, snacks etc. My DS also carrys a small sling for his pins (only when he thinks he is going to do major pin trading). He will usually just carry a few pins in my fanny pack.

I wish we could get away from the backpack but it seems that the ponchos (3 adult size) take up quite a bit of room.

Marker
02-14-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm going to buck the trend a little bit. I prefer to not carry anything, or at least as little as possible. I will typically have my refillable mug (that I fill with water at fountains), or a watter bottle that I can refill. My camera fits in my pocket.

I just don't like carrying that much stuff. And it's typically hot, and a pack would make it even hotter in my opinion. I no longer travel with small children, so I don't have that concern. The way I figure it, if it rains I'll get wet. If I get wet, I'll dry. And I can manage just fine without a supply of snacks with me, I can survive just fine without eating every 10 or 15 minutes.

Disneyatic
02-14-2008, 10:58 AM
We carry a backpack that holds our ponchos, autograph books, sunscreen, purchases throughout the day, extra socks and all kinds of other stuff :secret:

I would love to have a smaller bag but I don't know how we would fit everything in it!
DH actually wants a bigger (more manly) backpack for our next trip so that he won't mind carrying it. We used a pink and green one on our last trip and he hated it when his turn to carry came up :blush:

CaptainSad
02-14-2008, 02:11 PM
I hit the Disney Marketplace back in December and the first thing I got was the Fanny pack that has the cell phone holder. Believe me. Money well spent. Had enough room for my Wallet,Cell Phone,Digital Camera,Batteries plus a few other things. It was fun being down there and not carrying things around in my hands.

jclightchasr
02-14-2008, 02:27 PM
We have 3 kids and take 1 decent size backpack with multiple pockets the pack sits in the stroller on rides and is passed between people from point to point as we move throughout the park/s. Security doesn't take too long if the all zippers are slightly open beforehand. No valuables are kept in this pack JIC.
This functions for diaper bag, ponchos, snacks and drink mixes, pain killer, sunscreen all lighter weight items. You can even fit a the kids jackets in it too but adults we drape over the stroller bars.
Side note: Its a good idea if using a stroller to bring a poncho just for the stroller itself so it or it's passengers don't get wet.

dumbo_buddy
02-14-2008, 04:41 PM
DH and i use a sling backpack whenever we travel. it is PERFECT for holding pretty much everything you want and it's the best for your back (imo).

two years ago i was in a very bad car accident and now suffer from upper back pain pretty much everyday so i'm very picky about what i carry.

the sling backpack gives you really good support and it distributes the weight well.

:mickey:

mickey&missy
02-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Last trip we used a cute Disney draw string backpack we got on our first day. The bag I took to use in the parks annoyed me after about 2 hours so we bought the backpack. I was great. It carried my small wallet, a small thing of sunblock, a thing of tissues, wet wipes, a little bottle of advil and juice and snacks for the kids. It was perfect and DH carried it most of the time. We also had our camera bag.

This trip will be a little different. We need a diaper bag for DS, 9 months, needs. I have a great backpack diaper bag and we'll put everything in there that isn't valuable and leave it in the bottom of the stroller. I'll use our camera bag as a purse to carry anything valuable (wallet , etc) when we go on rides etc.

My advice is to carry as little as you possible can!

Tink#64
02-14-2008, 11:45 PM
I don't carry a wallet in my pack. I have a small id wallet that hold my drivers license, credit card, insurance cards, etc. I put money in a snack size zip lock baggie in the pocket that's on the "inside" (next to me). I almost never take the pack off on rides, becuase I'm carrying money, cc's & park tix! This is almost never a problem & I can adjust the pack to fit over or under any kind of restraints usually.

"Crazyfortink" - I love tht idea about the clear backpack, we have some of those! That's ideal! I think we'll try that this trip. We only carry a backpack when we visit in the evenings, because everyone stuffs their jackets in there. When we do this, everyone switches from their packs & each has a camera bag with the strap, so we really don't put that much into the backpack, so that would work out great! Thanks so much for the cool idea! :cool:

chick20679
02-15-2008, 08:18 AM
We always carry some sort of bag. We try to 'tour' fairly light, but a bag is essential for us since we have a camera, sunglasses, and even emergency ponchos. Plus it's helpful to have someplace to put the little trinkets you buy. I have a mini backpack that I used this last trip. It's about 6" by 8" and I got it at Wal*Mart. One large compartment and a small front one for tickets, etc.
Most rides have a little pouch to put your smaller bag in while you ride. I like to have a bag with a longer strap for the rides that don't have a pouch so I can put it over my leg.

Couple things to keep in mind when picking a bag:
** You will likely be carrying it ALL DAY - anything big, heavy or bulky will not be fun

and

** Bags WILL be searched at park entrances - the more pockets it has, the longer it will take you to get through the line

Just my :twocents: :mickey:

sneezyone
02-15-2008, 10:55 AM
no bag...i use one of those photographer's vests. it's unisex so hubby can wear it too. since it's clothing...no stops on the way in and it rides with you on the rides

many pockets and enough room for everything.

OhToodles!
02-15-2008, 12:49 PM
I completely agree with not watning to carry anything. For some reason I always start out with a bag or purse the first day and then I decide it's too heavy, bulky, etc. And by the end of the trip I make my DH carry anything I REALLY need (ticket, $, camera) in his pockets (since he ususally wears cargo shorts it works out quite well). We also bring our bottle straps to carry water so we don't have to hold onto it.

This year will be a little different though since we'll have a stroller. I bought a tote that hooks on the the handles of the stroller and has smaller pockets along with a big one so all DS's stuff will be in there.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
02-16-2008, 11:49 AM
I bought an Overland Donner (REI online) bag after reading so many great reviews of it on here.
It is perfect for my camera, sunblock, hidden Mickey book, inhalers for two of my kids and I, hand sanitizer and our ponchos. I roll up the ponchos really small and put them in a large ziploc so they do not take up much room. It has two pockets on either end for a water bottle and a small umbrella. The front flap is great for my ID, room key, cash and credit card. I like wearing it across my body like a messenger bag or you can carry it on your shoulder as well. I got the sand color so DH does not mind carrying it on occasion.

Great bag!! I ordered the smaller Pacer for trips when it is just me and DH too. :thumbsup: