PDA

View Full Version : DVC Yes or no

linedropper
02-13-2008, 10:12 PM
I would like to go every year, But it seems like if we stay at Value resorts and it doesnt bother us why do the DVC? Someone talk me in to or out of the DVC please!

Linedropper:mickey:

Ian
02-14-2008, 06:45 AM
You're correct. If you're always going to stay at value resorts, then DVC probably isn't for you.

mouse-logic
02-14-2008, 09:41 AM
The sticky threads in this Board have a wealth of info regarding why you should or should not buy in to DVC. Read through them.

My personal reasons are that we go often, we wanted to stabilize the price of our future accommodations, we wanted to stay in the best resorts (hint: the Values aren't even close), and we like traveling with groups occasionally, we like having a kitchen, we like the extra space (even the studio villas are larger), we like the location to the parks (can't get closer to a park than the BCV is to EPCOT).

While those are some of my personal, tangible reasons, the intangibles are also important. I like knowing that I have a little piece (even if temporary) of the magic.

MsMin
02-14-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm going to agree with Ian. When we got the DVC my first thought was wait I'm just breaking even then I remembered that value didn't compare to the DVC accommodations. You may feel more restricted with points and then you still have the fees and tickets. Our first stay last fall I felt like I spent just as much after tickets but I bought 10 day non expiring and used 4 days so my next trip will be very light on the pocketbook. We enjoyed Sarasota much more than Pop and we loved Pop.

sillyolbear
02-14-2008, 12:28 PM
You're correct. If you're always going to stay at value resorts, then DVC probably isn't for you.

Agree.

ThanxForNoticin
02-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Your question is actually and 'apples to oranges' question. If you prefer the values, then DVC would seem like an odd purchase. But chances are once you stay at a VC resort, which is definitely a step or two up from the values, you might not want to go back to the values!

Another answer is that perhaps VC is not for you. I think most members are very glad they joined, but it's not the ideal situation for everyone. It's for folks who go to Disney often, who want the opportunity to stay at higher level resorts, and who might like the flexibility of bringing along friends and family members some trips. If you are happy with Pop and your family enjoys that place best, then you probably should save the money and enjoy the Pop resort in the future - there's nothing wrong with going back to a place you love!

Good luck with your decision.

MarkC
02-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Agree with the others that if you like value resorts then DVC is probably not for you. On the other hand, in 30 years the value resorts will be charging a lot more than those of us staying at Deluxe Resorts are paying now. Try a deluxe resort for 1 night and see if it's worth it to you. For us it is, but everyone is different and no one can make up your mind for you unless you let them. Mark

bjlaac
02-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Just my point of view but the DVC is no better than a moderate. I've done the tour, heard the speeches, read all of the boards and at best its a break even on dollars for the moderates and more costly than the values.

Deciding point, If its a break even and I don't consider it a deluxe resort (folks I said I and I know many DVC will disagree with me and I accept your opinion for youself), do I really want to lock in the same vacation for 40 plus years or say no an go when I choose?

For me the answer was no

lockedoutlogic
02-14-2008, 10:12 PM
you have to like the deluxe resorts and have a solid, consistent amount of disposable income to properly use and enjoy DVC

those two things I'm sure of....

hubbyofadisneyholic
02-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Just my point of view but the DVC is no better than a moderate. I've done the tour, heard the speeches, read all of the boards and at best its a break even on dollars for the moderates and more costly than the values.

Deciding point, If its a break even and I don't consider it a deluxe resort (folks I said I and I know many DVC will disagree with me and I accept your opinion for youself), do I really want to lock in the same vacation for 40 plus years or say no an go when I choose?

For me the answer was no

I admit that the decision whether or not to DVC is indeed a personal one, I simply cannot accept the assertion that "DVC is no better than a moderate".
While 2 rooms at a moderate may sleep up to 8 people, it doesn't come close to the comfort and size of a 2 bedroom DVC villa (that also sleeps 8), especially when you factor in the
kitchen area, full size fridge and washer/dryer.

While there are many reasons that would make you decide DVC isn't right for you, I don't think equating it to a regular resort room is one of them.

Just my slightly more than :twocents:

minnie1956
02-15-2008, 11:35 PM
If you are the type to just go commando in the Parks and nothing else, then it doesn't make sense to stay anywhere other than the values.
If you are going for a more total "experience" you can't beat the other options. There is NO WAY to fairly say that the 2BR at OKW is not any better than a moderate. Must have been some other tour you took. :blush: I love the extra room, the kitchen, the laundry ( only have to pack 1/2 what I used to) the more relaxed atmosphere, LOVE LOVE the grounds. It took a LONG time and a couple of "tours" to decide, but I'm glad we did it.
But, I still also try to sneak in a night or two at a themed resort. :mickey:

kakn7294
02-16-2008, 06:42 AM
DVC is not for us - can't afford the purchase price, don't want to finance it, only stay at moderate level, only go once a year and right now can't afford more often than that, and have 2 growing girls who won't be at home forever.

merlinmagic4
02-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Well, we did something different. We purchased a timeshare just outside of Disney (literally minutes) for a mere 3800.00. It's a great place and we have no payment except for the maintenance fee. We also own it for life if we choose to keep it. So, if you ever find yourself wanting more space you could look into this option.

We get to go once a year with this timeshare and we always get our "prime time" week with no trouble so far. With DVC we would have only been able to go every other year - we'd need over 300 points to stay in a 2 bedroom during our school vacation weeks. Every other year is not enough for me when my oldest is turning 11! I want to go every chance I get!

Will I buy DVC in the future? Maybe! When I go back to work full time I may decide we can do it. We also live on a tight budget since I am home with my kids so all that will change someday.

linedropper
02-18-2008, 10:11 PM
I love the disposable income posts! I always tell myself next year I will have some of that and I never do!

Disposable Income!
:mickey:

Horizon93
02-18-2008, 10:33 PM
To the OP, I agree that if a value resort is where you will likely spend most of your vacations, then DVC is not for you. At a later point, you may find that it is.

In terms of DVC being no different than a moderate, simply seeing the AKV preview rooms should settle that.

Johnno52
02-19-2008, 08:25 PM
We went for 10 years staying mainly at AS Music and we still do. However we looked into buying at the BW from Resales. We purchased enough points to give us a studio for 2-5 day vacations at the value season plus we join them with a stay at the ASM for another 5 days. The DVC room cost us $47 per night and $90-$100 for the ASM rooms. I have talked to a few long time DVCers who bought at $59 per point! I bought for $86! If they sell now they would not only make a handsome profit but had the many years of "cheap" vacations at a Deluxe resort. We too thought the outlay was more than we could afford at the time. Check out the resales, not only they are better priced than what WDW, but also you can purchase any of the 8 DVC Resorts. I think WDW only offers sales on 2 to new potential DVCers? We wished we had the money to do it years ago!