PDA

View Full Version : Disney Rewards Visa - disappointing

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-13-2008, 02:35 PM
I've had a Disney Rewards Visa for 2 years and have only received one special vacation offer - early purchase of Sept Free Dining. That's it. I got the card because it said that they had special cardmember discounts for Disney vacations. From what I've read on the boards about people receiving specials in the mail 20 - 40% off....this card hasn't done anything for me. The discounts are the only reason I got it.

For those who have one...have you received anything special?

tinklover
02-13-2008, 03:06 PM
We have a disney visa as well. we have only had it about 6 months now but still no discounts offered we got ours for discounts as well and I am thinking maybe you are suposed to use your rewards and that is the discount? i have no clue.

Donald's Girl
02-13-2008, 03:08 PM
I think the benefits are wonderful! I don't remember ever hearing that I would get vacation package discounts when I signed up but have done really well with it!
In the past 2 years we have saved over $400 with our Disney Rewards cards. We always use them at WDW and usually just hand it to CM at check in--they then automatically deduct that amount from total owed at checkout.
In addition, we have always used it for discounts at various stores, for discounts on tours and other special events and love the free photo we get at EPCOT.
And that's not even considering the benefit of getting 6 months no payment no interest on all our trips!
I'm sure there is more savings that I'm not even remembering!

MsMin
02-13-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm real upset with them now. My dd ordered a cel from Disney and we used the card--to get the points. She has a different last name and they called to verify two days later... no problem. Then I got a letter saying they suspected fraud... no problem. I said it was my dd and we had already spoken to someone. I went to use the card the other day and it didn't work:mad: I called them and they said it was canceled b/c they suspected it was stolen... and they canceled the order of the limited edition cel and now don't know if any more are in stock:mad:. They reinstated my card and I appreciate them checking it out but shouldn't ONE PHONE CALL suffice???? I don't know what else I could give them? my shoe size? If I had ignored their call or letter I could understand but why talk to me verify info then cut off the card.
Of course they apologized and they were nice they reinstated the card. Now we are waiting to hear about the cel. This has gone on since January 18th.

AuntDJ
02-13-2008, 03:15 PM
I have had my Disney Visa for almost 3 years..I do remember reading about discounts when I got mine, but I think they have just gotten fewer as the attendance at DW grew.

However, I love my card, I use it for everything and pay it off every month, last trip I had over $300 to play with...this trip I should have close to $200...

Plus the Epcot character greeting, which I never seem to do, but it gets really good reviews and I am planning on trying it this go around. I have also used it for the discounted tours.

DJ

MidnTPK
02-13-2008, 03:27 PM
The probably consider the 0% financing for six months on Disney vacation packages a discount.....

crazeedizneefinatic
02-13-2008, 03:45 PM
I know they never send correspondance. In fact last year with the free dining being offered to cardholders first thing. I would have missed out completely if it had not been for Intercot! I received an email very late at night the day the promotion started, had I waited I would have missed out. Although it did open to the public, but that is one of the perks of the card is first opportunity.

I know some of the things we have used the card for besides the points of course. A discount at WOD in DTD, special pin for card holders at the huge pin shop in DTD (can't remember the name right now), the picture in Epcot which is really nice and of course the 6 months no interest offer. I am not sure what else they offer. I think you can also go to the website (don't know it, but sure someone does) and look at special offers at least that is what I heard.

I do agree they do not correspond well with cardholders, at least that is my experience with the free dining offer.

PirateLover
02-13-2008, 03:51 PM
There are at least a few discounts that come out every year that are available to cardholders first. The problem is they are often announced with little to no warning/fanfare so you have to check sites like Intercot daily to make sure you catch the deal.
When all is said and done though I like having my card for the points. I saved for almost 3 years and was able to pay for almost all of my dining on our last trip with my rewards points. I pay it off in full every month and use it almost everywhere in place of cash/debit.

vicster
02-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Well, that's helps with my decision not to get a Disney Visa. We get 5% back with our GM card versus I believe 1% cash rewards with the Disney Visa. We've purchased 3 vehicles and averaged around $1,000.00 off each with rewards earned on our GM Visa. We've gotten free dining the past 3 years with no problem and no Disney Visa.

disneylovinmom
02-13-2008, 05:46 PM
I get a newsletter type piece of mail every 3 months or so that advertises the special offers that are available to cardholders. I also had $234 to use on my trip. It paid for alot of our food. You can also use points to order some sort of coupon or pass to see Disney Movies using your points as payment.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-13-2008, 11:03 PM
My other cards have better benefits so I'm only using the Disney for the 0% financing for 6 months. Can you get this if you use MJ to book the vacation?

Beast_fanatic
02-13-2008, 11:22 PM
My other cards have better benefits so I'm only using the Disney for the 0% financing for 6 months. Can you get this if you use MJ to book the vacation?

Yep.

Tink#64
02-14-2008, 12:41 AM
I have seen some special offers & coupons in the newsletter, and I'm hoping there might be something we can use for our fall trip! For me it's the points! I charge all of our groceries, gas, etc, & I've started putting some other regular bills, such as utilities on there! I pay it off when the statement comes, so I'm not paying any interest even though the introductory offer of 0 % has ran out. We're not going to WDW until the fall & we have around 400 reward points right now! :thumbsup:

vizsla
02-14-2008, 05:31 AM
I have been a Disney Visa Card member since day one. When it was under Bank One there were much better specials offered than now, since Chase took it over. But at least you still get some specials every so often and your still building up Reward Dollars for your next trip.

kaylamag
02-14-2008, 08:50 AM
I use it for the 6 months no interest and the points. I was also notified about the free parkhopper and water parks and more special by e-mail in January. I got the e-mail before they offered it to the public. I got it early and then my mother who went on our trip with us but doesn't have a Disney Visa used the promotion too.

brownie
02-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Check out Disney VISA Rewards (http://disneyrewards.disney.go.com/). You can find information on discounts and card benefits there. You'll also receive a newsletter with information (mine came in the mail yesterday.)

Wells
02-14-2008, 09:54 AM
I have been a Disney Visa Card member since day one. When it was under Bank One there were much better specials offered than now, since Chase took it over. But at least you still get some specials every so often and your still building up Reward Dollars for your next trip.
Chase only provides administrative services for the Disney card. Any discounts or special offers (or lack thereof!) are determined directly by Disney.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Chase only provides administrative services for the Disney card. Any discounts or special offers (or lack thereof!) are determined directly by Disney.

I emailed them to tell them about the disappointment in lack of special discounts on vacations. They responded by saying they were sorry and they were to be offered but Disney controls that. That to make sure my email was up-to-date because when they do get one from Disney they will email it.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Yep.

Thanks!