PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens

Jeff G
02-13-2008, 10:06 AM
I need to vent.

Everywhere I turn today and for that matter the past week all I see & here in the media is Roger Clemens and I'm getting sick of it.

My biggest gripe here isn't whether he did HGH or steroids, it's the fact that congress is getting so involved with the whole situation. We have a congress that is paid by you and I. The fact that they are spending my hard earned tax dollars tuning a problem in baseball into a witch hunt bugs me. We know steroids were used in baseball, that is proven with those that have come forward and admitted it. Baseball needed to clean up, several years back congress got invovled with this and forced baseball to address this problem and put testing in place. We went through all of this back then with congress which in my opinion should have been enough, why do they feel need to rehash this again?

Most of the accusations towards Clemens and the rest happened before the last round of hearings and before baseball banned steroids. If this happened since the ban and hearings I could understand congress getting reinvolved. To me this didn't show anything new. It seems like we are rehashing an old story.

Let's use our tax dollars on better things.

JPL
02-13-2008, 10:27 AM
I completely agree and since most of the evidence is heresay it makes it more frustrating.

AuntDJ
02-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Oh Jeff G...THANK YOU...I have been thinking this same thing!

What is the point of these hearings? What does Congress hope to acheive? And most of all WHO cares if Clemens used or not...

DJ

Advnt05
02-13-2008, 01:29 PM
The problem is that Congress has kept their finger in the baseball pie throughout history. WIth the granting of anti-trust status, Congress has set it up that they have a loose oversight of baseball. Anything that goes wrong in baseball eventually falls at Congresses feet. Is it their egos that keep the relationship in place? Who knows? I would love to see the two divorce this weird relationship.
The main issue is that Clemens potentially purjured himself in front of Congress. That's why we're going through this again. It's a big no-no.
Aren't you glad we live in a country where we can spend millions and hours on baseball instead of immigration reform, healthcare, poverty, etc..?

CleveSJM
02-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Advnt05 has is exactly right. With the anti-trust exemption congress has given baseball, they are the ultimate "Board of Directors" or at least "Audit Committee" of baseball. They prevent free enterprise in baseball so they have to police it.

Perjury before Congress is also a major problem. They cannot be seen as allowing lies. That is why they had the depositions before the actual meeting.

They waste a lot of money doing a lot of stupid things. Keeping baseball honest seems like an ok thing to do. Did you see any of the previous testimony about high school kids ruining their lives (ending some) with 'roids. It's a drug problem that needs to be fixed. To bad it seems like just a dog and pony show at this point.

Jeff G
02-13-2008, 03:12 PM
The problem is that Congress has kept their finger in the baseball pie throughout history. With the granting of anti-trust status, Congress has set it up that they have a loose oversight of baseball. Anything that goes wrong in baseball eventually falls at Congresses feet. Is it their egos that keep the relationship in place? Who knows? I would love to see the two divorce this weird relationship.
The main issue is that Clemens potentially perjured himself in front of Congress. That's why we're going through this again. It's a big no-no.
Aren't you glad we live in a country where we can spend millions and hours on baseball instead of immigration reform, health care, poverty, etc..?

Advnt05 has is exactly right. With the anti-trust exemption congress has given baseball, they are the ultimate "Board of Directors" or at least "Audit Committee" of baseball. They prevent free enterprise in baseball so they have to police it.

Perjury before Congress is also a major problem. They cannot be seen as allowing lies. That is why they had the depositions before the actual meeting.

They waste a lot of money doing a lot of stupid things. Keeping baseball honest seems like an OK thing to do. Did you see any of the previous testimony about high school kids ruining their lives (ending some) with 'roids. It's a drug problem that needs to be fixed. To bad it seems like just a dog and pony show at this point.

I understand both points. I also understand that either Clemens or McNamee are lying under oath which is criminal.

My problem is that we went through all of the hearings in 2005 and spent tax payers money on this. It was a known after that that steroids were being abused in MLB. MLB expanded testing and toughened the penalties.

The newest info released was mainly dated prior to the original hearings and offered really no new relevant info. It almost seemed like an opportunity for Senator Mitchell to make a name for himself throwing new names out on an already visited topic.

Ian
02-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Truth is there a lot of things that annoy me about Congress more than this does, but this is irritating, too.

I guess with the anti-trust exemption they have, though, Congress doesn't have much of a choice.

I mean it is kind of a big deal if you think about it. It's an anti-trust exempt organization that appears to have knowingly condoned (if not outright encouraged) illegal drug use among their players.

I'd almost submit that there's a legitimate national interest in ensuring that baseball players, who are undoubtedly role models to America's youth, aren't indirectly advocating the use of steroids as a way to make it in the majors.

Honestly, IMO, that's a lot more relevant than them being involved in stuff like allocating millions of taxpayer dollars to build a bridge to nowhere. :shake:

DizneyFreak2002
02-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Well, after listening to the hearings in work, my feelings are if Clemens is going to be investigated for perjury, then McNamee better be too, because, he lied more than Roger did.... I said from the start McNamee is a liar... And today proved it.... The only difference is I also feel like Clemens lied as well....

Ian
02-14-2008, 10:46 AM
I think they're all lying or have lied to one degree or another.

I'll tell you one thing for sure ... Clemens used the juice. That's what I took away from it.

The other thing I took away is that there's no way MLB can be trusted to police themselves. To me it became pretty evident that this abuse was rampant and well-known within baseball. MLB is the one who looked the other way the first time around. You don't let the inmates run the asylum.

GothMickey
02-14-2008, 04:22 PM
There really is no debating now about Clemens. Even though I think he came of strong with his denials, there was way to much conflicting statements. I agree with you Ian that Clemens used something. I just don't think there is enough evidence or proof to indict him, or McNamee.

Jasper
02-14-2008, 05:35 PM
And now the other shoe is starting to drop!

Now the whole thing is starting to break down along party lines with the Democrats saying that this is all just a waste of time because the President will simply pardon Clemens for anything he has done. While I am one of the first ones to bash Bush, all I can say to the people saying these things is COME ON!! The President has not said anything about this matter so far and despite his baseball background has pretty much stayed out of baseball while serving as President.

It is way too early for anyone to be talking about whether pardons should happen for anyone so let's stick to the testimony and deal with any pardons when or if they really do happen!

DizneyFreak2002
02-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Jasper, no crime has been committed to warrant a Presidential pardon... Until Clemens is charged and found guilty of the crime, what can Bush pardon him from??? Being a bad liar??? Tossing his wife under a bus??? The people saying this need to calm down and back off and then take a deep breath... By the way, it isn't only Democrats saying that, so please don't make this political....

Marker
02-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Personally, I don't really see why this is a situation requiring congress. To me, this is a deal that baseball should deal with.

Let's see, we have a war going on, we're potentially on the edge of a recession, we have a national presidential election going on, ever increasing gas prices, mortgage problems, and on, and on, and on..... and congress is spending it's time talking about a baseball player. Seems to me there are other more urgent issues they could be dealing with.

Let baseball police baseball, we shouldn't need congress getting involved.

Jasper
02-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Jasper, no crime has been committed to warrant a Presidential pardon... Until Clemens is charged and found guilty of the crime, what can Bush pardon him from??? Being a bad liar??? Tossing his wife under a bus??? The people saying this need to calm down and back off and then take a deep breath... By the way, it isn't only Democrats saying that, so please don't make this political....

I am not making this political because as these congressmen(women) were saying, obviously someone is lying because Clemens and Mcneese(spelling ?) are saying opposite things then clearly someone is lying, and lying to either a grand jury or to congress when done under oath as they have done is a crime.

Actually, you and I have the same opinion about this situation and that is that this should not be made a political football. Yes, someone is guilty of a crime because clearly someone is lying under oath and that is a crime. But, until it has been determined who is actually lying and we see if the President has any desire to pardon anyone as these people suggest he is going to do then we should just stick to what is being said and try to find the truth.

Hopefully that makes my comments a little clearer. (Plus, if I can find a transcript of that news clip I saw on CNN where these congressmen(women) were saying these things I will post it as well so you can see it.)

Carol
02-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Everywhere I turn today and for that matter the past week all I see & here in the media is Roger Clemens and I'm getting sick of it.Try being a New Yorker and getting away from it. :ack:

I cannot stand Roger Clemens. Haven't liked him since the 80s when he played for Boston. I'm sure he'll get what's due. I certainly hope so, anyway.

Now the media zoo starts here today when Andy Pettitte (who I do like, for the record ) reports to Spring training Camp.

Hammer
02-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Pettitte Apologizes for 'Embarrassment'

By RONALD BLUM, AP
Mon Feb 18, 6:17 PM EST
Andy Pettitte has not spoken to Roger Clemens since giving a sworn statement which implicated his good friend in the use of human growth hormone. "I think it's put a strain on our friendship," Pettitte said in an eagerly awaited news conference Monday at the New York Yankees' spring training complex.

Pettitte apologized to the Yankees, Houston Astros and his fans for the "embarrassment" he caused them by taking HGH.

Pettitte arrived at spring training earlier in the day and threw a bullpen session at the minor league complex. Later, he met reporters for about an hour.

"I never want a young person to do what I did," Pettitte said. "I'm sorry for the mistakes I have made."

Pettitte sat alone at a podium, taking dozens of questions. He often paused to collect his thoughts and several times patiently asked reporters "did I answer your question?"

It had been about a month since he had spoken to Clemens, Pettitte said.

"I can't even describe how uncomfortable a situation" this has been.

With Yankees teammates Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada in attendance, along with two of his lawyers, Pettitte acknowledged he had considered not playing because of the ongoing situation.

"That wouldn't be the thing to do as a man. I felt like I needed to come out and face you guys and whatever circumstances that come I'll take it, I'll take it like a man and I'll try to do my job," he said.

Pettitte was excused from testifying publicly at a congressional hearing last week after he gave a deposition and an affidavit. In addition to his December admission that he used HGH for two days in 2002 while with the Yankees, he said he injected himself with HGH for one day in 2004 while with the Astros after obtaining two syringes from his father.

"I was never going to bring my dad up," he said.

Pettitte said there were no other times he used performance-enhancing drugs. "There are no other surprises out there," he said.

The 35-year-old lefty with 201 regular-season wins and four World Series championship rings said he did not feel as if his accomplishments were tainted.

"All I can tell you, from the bottom of my heart I know why I did this. I did it because I was told it might be able to help me," he said. "If people think I'm lying, then they should call me a cheater.

"Do I think I'm a cheater? No, I don't," he said. "Was it stupid? Yes, I was stupid. Was I desperate? Yes, I probably was."

Pettitte said in his previous statement that Clemens had discussed nearly a decade ago using HGH. In addition, Pettitte testified Brian McNamee, the former personal trainer for Clemens and Pettitte, had spoken in 2003 or 2004 about steroids use by Clemens.

Clemens claims Pettitte "misremembers."

"I think Roger knows how I feel about him. He knows I've admired him and continue to admire him. He's a great friend to me," he said.

Pettitte said he did not watch the Congressional hearings last week in which Clemens and McNamee testified. Pettitte professed his friendship for both men and said he hoped to remain on good terms with both of them.

"This has been a horrible situation for me," he said. "I'm hoping and praying I don't have to do anything else with this."

Pettitte does not appear to be at risk of a suspension for his admissions. HGH was not banned by players and owners until January 2005.

"If it was illegal in baseball, I wouldn't have done it," he said.

However, Pettitte could remain ensnared between McNamee and Clemens, who denies allegations that he used performance-enhancing drugs. Dealing with his first controversy since he was hired to replace Joe Torre, manager Joe Girardi said it was too soon to tell whether the matter will end soon for Pettitte.

"I think a lot of that depends on what happens with Roger and what he continues to do. If that was to all die down, I think it would pretty much go away," Girardi said Sunday. "But, obviously, there's some litigation there that Andy might be a part of, so from that standpoint, it could linger."

Clemens has filed a civil suit against McNamee claiming defamation, and there could be a criminal investigation of the conflicting accounts given before Congress by Clemens and McNamee.

Girardi understands any additional admissions of drug use by Pettitte "would become a huge story."

"But my thought is Andy has probably told everything that there is," Girardi said.

During the season, spectators on the road are likely to remind Pettitte of HGH use.

"You know how the fans are. They're going to say anything to distract the pitcher," Rivera said. "Hopefully, it's not too bad, because it always happens."

Pettitte was 15-9 with a 4.05 ERA last year in his first season back with New York following three years on the Astros. He announced Dec. 3 that he would accept the Yankees' $16 million standing offer to return for another year.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

I'm not a fan of the Yankees, but I am extremely impressed with how Pettitte handled himself throughout this whole ordeal.

Jeff G
02-18-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm not a fan of the Yankees, but I am extremely impressed with how Pettitte handled himself throughout this whole ordeal.

I am too. He made a mistake and stood up to it like he should.

Tink2002
02-20-2008, 10:31 AM
I totally agree that congress should be dealing with bigger issues.

For instance, Britney Spears is clearly in the throes of a mental health crisis.

only kidding, some very interesting points made in here, and I very much agree with a lot of you.