PDA

View Full Version : Adhd

terri110874
02-13-2008, 09:07 AM
My son has ADHD and some other issues that the drs are trying to figure out what exactly is going on. Lots to do with sensory (spelling?) issues and panic attacks and to many to go into details with.

My questions is he has issues with large number of people/kids in the same area. He get panic attacks. He is fine if he is moving around but not in room or a line. Is it wrong of me to ask disney to get him the disability pass if I get a note from his doctors that work with him? I know he is not in a wheelchair where he needs assistance to get on rides.

We have gone before during value season and had to miss rides that had to many people around it. He did really well but I feel so bad he did not get on the rides he wanted to.

Do you think that it is wrong for me to ask for this?

Thanks in advance, please feel free to leave your advice good or bad. Will not be offended by what you say.
Terri

crazykids
02-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Absolutely get the pass! My son has mild PDD & ADHD w/ some sensory issues. That pass was a lifesaver for us & made our trip very enjoyable. Even while medicated, he has a hard time standing in lines for long periods of time. He'll do things like run in place, twitch his body, bang into others around him, knock the line ropes down, etc. (you probably get the point!) We do however, make him wait when there are shorter lines, but there's just no way he's going to handle the longer ones.

We had a note from our doctor & the people at guest services didn't even look at it. I told them what I needed the pass for & they gave it to me no problem. You might get all kinds of opinions from others & might even get some resistance on this particular topic. My advise - get the pass & enjoy your vacation, don't worry what others may or may not think.

Have a fun trip!

MsMin
02-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Your son seems to have more going on than ADHD.
I wouldn't get it for ADHD and others can tell you all sorts of things but professionally it's not recommended and what you describe is not solely ADHD.
There are several reasons why I don't condone it for ADHD.
1. children w/ ADHD need structure and WDW provided an ideal setting to help these children learn to manage the disorder.
2. there are a lot of kids out there w/ ADHD and ADD or the combined and it' is easier to function at WDW and I'm afraid it could lead to widespread abuse from others who have children who need the motivation to STAY IN LINE... they need the practice to control the impulsivity. Giving a child w/ ADHD a GA would be like giving a person w/ diabetes candy. A little w/ moderation but it can do more harm than good for when you return home. Again it's for the other symptoms and not the ADHD that's the problem here.
However as I mentioned what you describe is not purely ADHD and it's not uncommon for a child to have a dual diagnosis especially with the behaviors you describe. There are several other things that could be going on.
As crazykids has mentioned her child has a mild PDD and that is reason to use the pass and to use it sparingly if you want your job to be easier down the road.
Know your child too. Most do better in the morning and get worse with fatigue and as all have a lesser ability to manage their behaviors late at night.
While it can make your vacation a little easier especially if it's during peak season... unfortunately children learn very fast to expect the same at home. So yes, get it (don't wait until you need it) and use it wisely.

MsMin
02-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Your son seems to have more going on than ADHD.
I wouldn't get it for ADHD and others can tell you all sorts of things but professionally it's not recommended and what you describe is not solely ADHD.
There are several reasons why I don't condone it for ADHD.
1. children w/ ADHD need structure and WDW provided an ideal setting to help these children learn to manage the disorder.
2. there are a lot of kids out there w/ ADHD and ADD or the combined and it' is easier to function at WDW and I'm afraid it could lead to widespread abuse from others who have children who need the motivation to STAY IN LINE... they need the practice to control the impulsivity. Giving a child w/ ADHD a GA would be like giving a person w/ diabetes candy. A little w/ moderation but it can do more harm than good for when you return home. Again it's for the other symptoms and not the ADHD that's the problem here.
However as I mentioned what you describe is not purely ADHD and it's not uncommon for a child to have a dual diagnosis especially with the behaviors you describe. There are several other things that could be going on.
As crazykids has mentioned her child has a mild PDD and that is reason to use the pass and to use it sparingly if you want your job to be easier down the road.
Know your child too. Most do better in the morning and get worse with fatigue and as all have a lesser ability to manage their behaviors late at night.
While it can make your vacation a little easier especially if it's during peak season... unfortunately children learn very fast to expect the same at home. So yes, get it (don't wait until you need it) and use it wisely.

wdwfan#1
02-13-2008, 11:48 AM
i agree you should definately get the pass. i also agree that it sounds like there is more going on than adhd. i'm a nurse, but definately not an expert on adhd. however, i've never heard of adhd with the sensory issues that your son has. i'm glad to hear the doctors are looking into it. but, do get the pass and have a great time!!!!

BrerGnat
02-14-2008, 05:05 PM
I would agree with the advice to get the pass, but save it for when you REALLY need it (i.e. for crowded "holding" rooms such as for the 3-D movies, if your son really, really wants to do the ride). Make sure your son understands what the ride/attraction is going to be like INSIDE too, since the same issues might come up in there.

However, I also agree with MsMin. I am a parent of an almost 4 year old with mild autism, and he definitely has attention/focus problems that go along with that. He has been to Disneyland approximately 75 times or so. We have NEVER used a guest assistance pass. I didn't even know about it until recently. We found that Disneyland provides some prime opportunities to teach about waiting, being patient, etc. in an environment filled with positive reinforcements. It has been a wonderful way to teach him to "work through" his difficulties and overcome obstacles that prove very helpful in our everyday life. The reward of a ride on the circus train or teacups is good motivation for him to wait patiently and behave. I agree that getting the pass may further inhibit a child's development when the goal of the development is to learn to manage and overcome difficulties related solely to attention/focus.

My son has recently become agitated in darkened, crowded waiting areas as well (examples: indoor queues, the holding room for the Turtle Talk with Crush, etc). What we do is just remove him from those situations that prove too much for him to handle. The truth is, if the waiting area is difficult, the actual attraction may be as well (particularly for theatre attractions). Once we got into the Crush theatre, my son was no better. The theatre was dark and all the kids were sitting on the floor, so there were people everywhere. It was very much like the waiting room, which had bothered him. We simply asked him if he wanted to leave, he said "yes" and we left.

While Disney is supposed to be fun, sometimes it can be difficult for the little ones with sensory issues, since it's such overload. While we try to make our son's life as "normal" as possible, there is fine line between pushing and forcing. As well, there is a fine line between using and abusing, where GAC's are involved.

Have your doctor spell out your child's particular difficulties so the CM issuing the pass can designate it properly.

Jasper
02-14-2008, 05:17 PM
I know it is hard to understand something as complex as your son's issues without seeing them first hand, but based on what you have said I would be concerned that even with the pass that you may still have issues. Even with the pass there can still often be periods of time where you might be enclosed in fairly tight places with lots of other people, including children. Even more so than the pass I would really talk to the doctors and make sure they give the green light to your son going to someplace that is as crazy as WDW can be. And just remember, even during the slow season WDW is still much busier than most other places so be sure you know what you are taking your son into.

Bottom line is talk to the doctors and do what is best for your son and if that is using the pass than go for it.

jeddalynn
02-15-2008, 09:49 AM
If it was strict ADHD, I would say don't get the pass. Kids with ADHD who get special perks don't usually do well. But there definately seem to be some other issues going on, especially around panic, which is trickier.

SO...I say get the pass. But plan ahead for times you will not use it. Use these times as learning opportunities.

You didn't say how old he was, but I'd try bringing a mp3 player/ipod/portable cd player/walkman with his favorite music. This can help block out the noise of the crowds and may help if he's feeling overwhelmed.

Make a game of it. Plan rewards frequently throughout the line. ADHD kids need things to be broken up into small chunks. They get overwhelmed with the "bigger picture". Some people like to use candy, just be careful with using food as a treat. Sugar may make things worse.

LibertyTreeGal
02-20-2008, 11:18 AM
I agree with MsMin that this does not sound solely like ADHD. My son has a fairly classic case of it and panic attacks just aren't a part of ADHD. I wouldn't (and didn't) ask for special assistance with my son, but what you son has is obviously different. Go ahead and get the pass, but I highly advise that you have him go see a neuropsychologist, if you haven't already. Bless you sweetie!