PDA

View Full Version : So, what do YOU do?

McLiberal8
02-12-2008, 09:42 PM
I hope this post is okay!
I have always been curious how diverse the Disney fan's job base is! So, post, let us know what you do for a living!

I work at an animal shelter, myself. I reunite lost stray animals with their owners; I also assist in the surrender and redemption of animals, as well as adoptions. :puppy:

My job can be super tough, so my next trip to WDW always keeps me afloat.

So, what do YOU do? How does WDW influence you in your job?

DisneyDudet
02-12-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm a nurse (RN) and I work on a step-down ICU unit. I work nights, so a lot of my posts usually happen when I'm staying up the night before and such.

I love my job, but I only work 3 days a week (which is full time!). Makes it easy to get a quick trip in... I can be off a whole week without having to use paid time off! It is very stressful, so a Disney World or Disney Cruise trip makes me get through it all!

AuntDJ
02-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Well,today, I work in the Student Loan industry. However, as of May 2 my job will be eliminated...so I guess a new career awaits me!

My upcoming DW trip is truly keeping my mind of the impending unemployment issue...

Gotta love Intercot and Disney World!!!

DJ

SgtTigger
02-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Lieutenant in the local Sheriff's Department...

I am in charge of all of the equipment for my dept. Everything from the Radio system to the Lights on top of the patrol cars to the telephones that answer 911.....

I am on the SWAT team and also a member of the Bomb Squad.

I am the go to guy for everyone's trip to WDW at the department. Everyone knows that if I am not at work than I am on Vacation at WDW.

:cop: :tigger:

BouncingTigger
02-12-2008, 10:44 PM
I am a junior at San Diego State University. I'm a social work major.

I'm taking 15 units, so I'm too busy to work right now. I'll probably get a part time job once this crazy semester ends and I can take fewer units. I'd like to get a job in the social services. I used to work on the San Diego County Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Hotline, which was a great job.

pink
02-12-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm in my first year of college as a Journalism major and I work part time and as the temp at a car dealership as a receptionist. :mickey:

BronxTigger
02-12-2008, 11:14 PM
I teach first grade in the South Bronx, NYC.

I'm also working on my master's degree in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). I've completed 21 of 36 credits; I'm currently in 2 classes (6 credits). After this term I only have one more class along with two practicums and then I'm done!

tiggers_1
02-12-2008, 11:20 PM
I am a school bus driver, my route is mainly elementary and special need preschoolers. My love of Disney and Disney characters provides me an opportunity to connect with my preschoolers as most of them carry backpacks sporting their favorite characters. My elementary students are all girls that love Hannah Montana and High School Musical.

Jeff G
02-13-2008, 12:45 AM
If you listen to the news I'm one of those evil mortgage loan professionals:thedolls:. I've been in the mortgage industry for fifteen years with the same company and absolutely love my job. I've helped thousands of customers and at times I feel like George Bailey and have a huge loyal customer base.

Miss Mouse
02-13-2008, 12:49 AM
I'm a 4th year University student (in Canada) working toward a psychology degree. I don't intend on going to graduate school, so I'm debating between specialization courses or a nursing after-degree. I also do admin work for the cardiology department at our city's biggest hospital, and hopefully I will wind up back here soon in another capacity!

Dragongirlx
02-13-2008, 04:35 AM
I am a commissioning officer for local government. I am responsible for helping commission over 200 services for homeless people and those that need housing support.
On top of that I do all the finance for the team and am a system administrator for the IT system.

So I really need Disney to keep me going:D

sassafras
02-13-2008, 06:47 AM
I'm a member services rep at a credit union. I open all accounts, but also process all the atm and debit card applications. Ialso take away those same cards when people get carried away and do things they shouldn't . Run credit reports, order checks, deal with the public all day long. Love my job, but sometimes I just need to escape from it! The people I work with think I'm nuts when I say I'm going to DW to relax!:)

Deesdisney
02-13-2008, 07:56 AM
I am a Homemaker (I think that is what they call me). I take care of the kids and house. Since I have to take my kids on vacation too Disney is the only place I can get away from the Mother in me and be a kid with my kids. Everything always seems better at the Magical place on earth.

RenDuran
02-13-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm a stay-at-home mom....I tend to like the sound of that better than homemaker. My little boy has 1 1/2 years left before starting school full-time. When he does I'll start another pet-care business. I did petsitting before kids, but now I'm leaning towards a do-it-yourself dog grooming shop.

gauvin4
02-13-2008, 08:42 AM
I am the office manager at the Water District in my home town. I am responsible for all finacial aspects, as well as billing and customer service.
I am the person everyone goes to for help planning a WDW vacation. :mickey:

Disneymom4ever
02-13-2008, 08:51 AM
I'm a stay-at-home mom (or homemaker, I'll take either) so I work and don't get paid-that's what I tell my DH anyway. I'm also the trip planner of the family. And like Dee, that's exactly it- Disney World is a place where I can be a kid with my kids. They're growing so fast, I really treasure these family trips! :mickey:

Madame Leona
02-13-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm a stay at home mom. I have two little boys (2 and 3 months) and a sweet labradoodle that count on me for everything. DH (who also is on intercot quite frequently) is an industrial electrician in a steel mill. He works afternoons and usually works 7 days a week. I really look forward to our WDW trips so that we can spend a lot of time together with our boys. It's just a shame we can't bring the dog with us;)

TikiGoddess
02-13-2008, 09:06 AM
I teach music at a primary school. It's a fun and creative job that can be physically and mentally exhausting. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way, but it does mean that I'm usually headed to bed by 9pm!

I am lucky that I get Fridays off right now, working part time. That leaves me time to spend with my kids until my oldest leaves for kindergarten next fall. My DH is also a music teacher. He teaches at our local school so he'll be DDs' music teacher.

This year is the first year that I have my own room at school all to myself, so I have decorated my desk area with all the Disney things I can find. Even have a pair of silver YOAMD ears hanging from the ceiling. The other way Disney has influenced my career is that I tend to tell a lot of stories when I teach. I love the way Imagineers build and enhance a ride through the use of storytelling. I try to do the same with my teaching.

Kathy

Michigander
02-13-2008, 09:09 AM
I work at an Alternative High School in the Media/Tech Center. I check out books and do the computer setups. This is a big change for me in the last year, before taking on this job I worked in the office of an Elementary School as a service person, meaning I was a Jack of all trades, Master of None. I loved my job, but must admit I love what I'm doing now even more! WDW has been then main vacation of choice for my family for the last 20 years. When asked where my family wants to go this year it is always Disney World. It is the one place where we feel you can just lose yourself. No thinking about home or your job! Disney just makes all that disappear! Can't get any better then that!!!:thumbsup:

ncscgirl2005
02-13-2008, 09:11 AM
I am an administrative assistant at the University of South Carolina, School of Medicine. One of my responsibilities is to coordinate a free smoking cessation program. I love this portion of my work, but it can be depressing when you see people come in with oxygen tanks and such and they are so young.

BelleCiavo
02-13-2008, 09:20 AM
I home school my children, one son in high school, one son in middle school, and one in kindergarten. It is challenging, but a huge blessing.

LauraF
02-13-2008, 09:40 AM
I do market research for Dunkin' Donuts, which is ironic since I never drink coffee. :D

But I'm not one of those people with a clipboard you see outside of stores - I slice and dice the data that comes back to look for trends and make recommendations to stores and local teams on how best to improve business.

The best part of the job involves me traveling once every few months to different regions of the country to talk to the local marketing teams about trends in consumer data. I'm trying to swing a trip to Orlando/Tampa in the near future, with of course a teeny little stop by WDW for a few days. *innocent look*

Jared
02-13-2008, 09:46 AM
I am a sophomore at Syracuse University in Syracuse, N.Y., double majoring in journalism and English, but my primary job is my work at The Daily Orange, the independent daily newspaper serving the campus and surrounding area.

I relinquished my position on the editorial staff this year to become simply a staff writer again, but I'm covering SU women's basketball and spring football right now. In fact, I am away from school today because I'm covering the Syracuse-Seton Hall game in South Orange, N.J. I write four-to-seven stories each week. We publish Monday through Friday.

And I sometimes find time to actually do homework, too.

mtown71
02-13-2008, 09:49 AM
I am an x-ray tech at an occupational health center.

goofysbabe
02-13-2008, 10:09 AM
I am a data entry aide for my children's school system. I work in the special education dept. I enter information from IEP's into the CODA system. I love my work - I started with the school system as a cafateria worker, then went to an instructional aide and now my current job. I've been with the school system for 11 years now and I love working the same hours/days my children do. We get to spend our summers together! The pay is not the greatest (that's why I keep trying to move up).

Disneyatic
02-13-2008, 10:36 AM
I am a customer service rep for a company in the plastics/disposables market. I am also a full-time student trying to earn my bachelor's in Education.
I think that my job situation is about to experience a change so that I can continue on with my school and finish quicker. This may put a damper on our Disney vacation plans for a bit, but it will be worth it in the end when I have my degree and we can take bigger and better WDW vacations!

SBETigg
02-13-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm a fiction author. I get to stay home, work in my pajamas, and check INTERCOT all day-- woo-hoo! Until those deadlines creep up on me, then it's all work, no play, mountains of laundry building up, and take-out food for weeks.

ljv1975
02-13-2008, 11:01 AM
I am a stay at home mom. My DD, Sophie is 2 and we have a DS on the way and he is due to arrive around May 20th. Before we had children I was a restaurant manager. It was a very stressful environment at this particualr restaurant and I actually quit that job to take some time off. While I was looking for a less stressful management opportunity, I found out we were pregnant with DD, and never went back to work!

DH is a chef and he works mostly nights. So he starts work at 2 in the afternoon and doesn't get home until late. He would like a career change before our kids get in school so he can spend more time with them and enjoy their activities/sports when they get older.

poeticeclipse
02-13-2008, 11:07 AM
I am a Customer Service Rep at a local bank. Or in normal people terms... a teller. It's a small branch with only two people so we basically run it everyday.

Hopefully soon i'll be able to start school online and work towards my computer programming or graphic design degree. :)

Stan
02-13-2008, 11:47 AM
My mix of self-employment work has been shifting for several years. In 2008 I expect it will be about 40% engineering software development & bug fixing (for a PA company & products I've been part of since 1981), about 40% training engineers to use said software here in Orlando and wherever they send me, and about 20% photography of Orlando visitors and commercial properties. As I've said many times, the more photography (http://www.FLmemories.com) I get to do, the less engineering (http://www.ansys.com) I have to do. :D But I don't know if I'd really want it to be 100% anything- I'm too easily bored. :blush:

Life is not without its difficulties, but we have much to be thankful for.

wdwfan#1
02-13-2008, 12:10 PM
i'm an er rn. i work nights 3 twelves a week, so i actually get to stay at home with my kids 3 days a week (i work every other weekend) . the other 2 days my 2 yr old spends the day with grandpa. my other 2 kids are in school. i;m very lucky to have the best of both worlds!

SBETigg
02-13-2008, 12:27 PM
I am a Customer Service Rep at a local bank. Or in normal people terms... a teller. It's a small branch with only two people so we basically run it everyday.

Hopefully soon i'll be able to start school online and work towards my computer programming or graphic design degree. :)

Stacey, I used to do that before I quit to write full-time. That was about eighteen years ago, and I still have nightmares about balancing out at the end of the day! :secret: Best wishes.

IloveJack
02-13-2008, 12:41 PM
I teach Spanish to 8-12 graders at a small private school. I love my job, and really enjoy going to work every day. Although, I don't mind the occasional snow day (like today)!

However, our first child is due October 3, so it's still up in the air as to whether or not I'll continue teaching. I make about half as much as the public school teachers in my county, and daycare would eat about half of my pay. So there's a good possibility that I'll become a stay-at-home mom in the future.

DreaminofDisney24
02-13-2008, 01:13 PM
I work at the Maryland Science Center, in Baltimore's Inner Harbor. I get to write programs for kids that spend the night here, and during the week I get to spend the night here too! (But no, the dinosaurs do not come alive!) I love my job and get see tons of free imaxes!

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-13-2008, 01:34 PM
I was a sever for years and then a retail manager until I had a kidney transplant. Now I'm just trying to decide what career to pursue. In the meantime I occasionally do benefit concerts. Most of them are for the National Kidney Foundation (next one being Feb 23). This summer I did one that purchased tickets to the Nashville Predators that were donated to Big Brothers Big Sisters.

MMouse6937
02-13-2008, 01:36 PM
This is really facinating to see what everyone does for a living. Sheri, how exciting to be a writer!!

I'm a Medical Assistant and also the Office Manager for an internal medicine doctor in private practice. I have been in the medical field for over 15 years and have worked in teaching hospitals, General Surgery, high risk OB, Ortho etc. This is my first time working for primary care and it took me a little while to get used to it, but now I love it. My doctor treats me wonderfully and I love being part of my patient's lives.

Everyone (including the patients) know about my passion for Disney and they're always excited to hear about my upcoming trip or the one I just got back from!

mouseaddict
02-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Monday to Friday I am mommy to my DS6 and DD1. Saturday and Sunday I am a charge nurse on a cardiothoracic/vascular step-down unit. Both jobs keep my VERY busy. I am hoping to start back to school for my ARNP in the next year or so.

DisneyCouture
02-13-2008, 02:11 PM
I work at a non-profit organization for people who have Autism. :)

Terra
02-13-2008, 02:28 PM
I home school my children, one son in high school, one son in middle school, and one in kindergarten. It is challenging, but a huge blessing.

I REALLY want to homeschool our DS and waiting to be born son as well!! My DH is back and forth with it....So I've really been praying about it...I think in the beginning he's all for it but would like them to go to Jr. High/High School at a Christian school possibly!! Anyway, glad to see a homeschooling family!!

I'm a homemaker as well! I love it...I rarely leave my son and take him on about every errand I run. I truly enjoy being with him [even when he is feisty!! lol] My DH is an Exceptional Student Educator for our County's school district!

It's been so interesting reading what every one does!

MScholl13
02-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Well, I used to work at a library as a Reference desk assistant and I also used to sell shoes at Sears, but in January I moved to Ft. Polk, Louisiana to join my husband who was already stationed here and I've been looking for a job since then.

So...right now I'm just an Army wife. :thumbsup:

mickey&missy
02-13-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm also a stay at home mom! DD is almost 7 and in 1st grade, DS is 5 and in preschool, and our other ds is 8.5 months. They keep me very busy, morning, noon and night!

To me, WDW is a place that our whole family can have together and really spend time together. DH is a civil engineer and owns his own engineering firm with FIL. He works very hard and very long hours, 65 hours last weeks!!! Our upcoming trip will be a great break for all of us and a wonderful change of pace!!

RedSoxFan
02-13-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm a stay at home mom also. DS20 is a sophomore at Syracuse University, DS18 is a high school senior; DS16 is a high school sophomore and DD11 is a 5th grader.

TheMartellFamily
02-13-2008, 03:02 PM
I am a Certified Medical Assistant/ Phlebotomist. I graduated in September and found a position in an Internal Medicine office. My position is entirely patient care, which is what I love. I do everything from drawing blood for lab work to assisting the Dr in procedures. I was a stay at home mom, but my children were starting school I knew I could go back to school too.
As for going to WDW I have been going since I was very young myself. Bringing this to my DS's I feel it is a great gift that we can show then and we are together as a family. This is a trip that appeals to everyone. We have our trip planned for August and this is the first time I have had to put in for a vacation request. Boy how things have changed. But let me tell you it is all for the better. I can not wait!!!!

Kairi_7378
02-13-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm a geotechnical engineer. (It's a type of Civil Engineering.) I mentor kids in after school programs who are interested in science, architecture, and engineering. I'm also working on my masters' in Civil Engineering.

NJBelle
02-13-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm a student for the most part. Other than that I'm a singer/song writer/pianist and an actress. Doesn't pay much but I'm still alive. :thumbsup:

JerseyMouse
02-13-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm a Hotel reservationist/desk clerk...not for Disney, however.

tinkerbell04
02-13-2008, 03:56 PM
I teach the fourth grade in Baltimore, Maryland, and today we just had our very first snowday of the year! :)

c&d
02-13-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm an Assistant Director at a center at Boston U.

disneydeb
02-13-2008, 05:52 PM
I teach reading in an elementary school. I meet with groups in classes of K, 2nd, 4th and 5th graders. I am also responsible for individual reading assessment for 3rd,4th and 5th grades.

mrsgaribaldi
02-13-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm a nurse (RN) and I work on a step-down ICU unit. I work nights, so a lot of my posts usually happen when I'm staying up the night before and such.

I love my job, but I only work 3 days a week (which is full time!). Makes it easy to get a quick trip in... I can be off a whole week without having to use paid time off! It is very stressful, so a Disney World or Disney Cruise trip makes me get through it all!

This is me but I work in an ER now. I used to work in a cardiothoracic stepdown unit but switched to another 12hour job. I could never do 8 hours again;)

Aggie97
02-13-2008, 06:18 PM
I have stayed at home since moving to Atlanta last summer (due to my husband's job transfer). Prior to that I was with a "big four" accounting firm, in marketing-communications.

Jimenyfan
02-13-2008, 06:25 PM
I work for the single A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox's here in Greenville.

jillluvsdisney
02-13-2008, 07:04 PM
911 operator/sheriff dispatcher

IloveDisney71
02-13-2008, 07:42 PM
I teach kindergarten at a local public school. :)

Magic Smiles
02-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I am a senior pay analyst for the Department of National Defence and office WDW specialist.:mickey: I would love to win the lottery and just travel...........um......maybe hit all the Disney Parks in the world.

drummerboy
02-13-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm a partner in a two man law firm in a small coastal town. I don't make fortunes, but I have time to enjoy life and get into other things that interest me. Before law school I was a park ranger for several years.

Recently, I've entered the writing field. I've started a suspense series with two novels out and the next underway.

Mousefever
02-13-2008, 09:02 PM
I teach reading in an elementary school. I meet with groups in classes of K, 2nd, 4th and 5th graders. I am also responsible for individual reading assessment for 3rd,4th and 5th grades.

So do I! I'm a small group reading teacher for struggling readers. I teach 1st through 5th graders. It's very rewarding work (not monetarily, of course).

I am also a part-time student. I'm almost done with pre-reqs for nursing school. My ultimate goal is to earn my masters and become a nurse-midwife.

Amy

:dory:

DisneyTwinsMommy
02-13-2008, 09:49 PM
I am a stay-at-home mom... I prefer that to "homemaker" only b/c with 4 month old twin boys... there is very little home-making going on around here... Hopefully that will change in the near future...

Before Babies... I was a preschool teacher, I really loved it and would like to see myself back there one day, maybe when the boys go to school full time...

trennedy
02-13-2008, 10:37 PM
How cool is it that so many people from different walks of life have so much things in common! You have to love it....:rocks:

I am a Kindergarten teacher, but am also endorsed to teach ELL and Reading Recovery....

Dakota Rose
02-13-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm a SAHM too. And my hubby has a tile installation business so I handle advertising and book-keeping for him. DS is almost 4 and in preschool. Baby #2 is due in July. :cloud9:

Caroleh
02-13-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm a manager of a retail store that is part of a major Canadian chain.

WDW helps me reduce the stresses of my job and lets me stay young!!!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
02-13-2008, 11:11 PM
I am a stay at home Mom to my three amazing kids. :cloud9:

I was a part time Police Officer up until I had my DD, our youngest. I walked foot and rode the quad on the beach for our Village PD. We live in The Hamptons so, summers are crazy here. Hence, part time. I resigned when my DH was hired by the same Dept.

DH is a 911 Dispatcher for the PD/FD. He is also a volunteer for the Fire Department and drives the Ambulance for the EMS corp.

DD will be in Kindergarten in September so, I will be going back to work part time. Most likely with the PD as a school crossing guard.

KarenP
02-14-2008, 10:19 AM
I am a Disney specialist travel agent.

I am enjoying reading what everyone else does!

DisneyDog
02-14-2008, 11:30 AM
I am a librarian in a public library. I'm in charge of doing computer maintenance and do some cataloging (so I get my hands on every new and donated book that enters the building). I am also in charge of the website and ordering DVDs.

lovewalt
02-14-2008, 12:45 PM
I work as Behavioral Tech in a Psychiatric hospital.The unit I work on is for children with Developmental Disabilities including Autism.It's has it's challenges,but it's a very rewarding job. Recently, I have become a trainer for new hires.
I work 3-12 hours shifts so that I have plenty of time at home with my DD.

Kennywife
02-14-2008, 02:00 PM
I am a writer/researcher for various outlets on the internet. :geek: I do transcription, office wrork, and write on many differnet topics like food, travel, health, education, and relationships. I do this from home and am also studying Medical Transcription and corporate communications.

In my spare time when I'm not being a wanna be chef :chef: :tasty: I'm planning our next Disney vacation and taking care of my two boys: my furbaby Speedy, 10 and my 32 year old hubby, Kenny. :heart:

Anna

RedheadWriter
02-14-2008, 02:24 PM
I am a freelance writer working on getting my foot in the door of romance writing. It's been my dream for 20 years. I also own a small cleaning business which lets me write as much as I want. But as soon as I can, it's writing full time for me (Much like SBETigg.....)
Working for me allows me to get uop and go whenever I want to WDW.
i also hope to have a completed book about Disney under my belt someday!

BigDisneyDad
02-14-2008, 03:29 PM
I read your e-mail!:spy:....just kidding....I'm a network security administrator for a global medical software company.

ncscgirl2005
02-14-2008, 04:29 PM
I read your e-mail!:spy:....just kidding....I'm a network security administrator for a global medical software company.

Cute post!

magicofdisney
02-14-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm a SAHM and homeschooler. My oldest is in 4th grade. My twin girls are in 2nd grade and my youngest, 2yo, is the official white board eraser. I love my job and thank goodness for the perks and benefits because the pay (or lack thereof) isn't great. ;)

DisneyLandMomma
02-14-2008, 10:25 PM
I work parttime in a home daycare, been working there for over 12 years at the same place. It's been a wonderful job that I was lucky enough to bring my daughter with me everyday. I have a very flexible schedule now so I usually have school holidays and vacations off with my daughter which is great.

kaerbear178
02-16-2008, 08:55 PM
In May I will officially graduate and will be an Interior Designer. In the meantime I work for a tile company in Cali helping people do showers, backsplashes, flooring etc.

pianobabe
02-17-2008, 01:27 AM
I have been an RN for the past 7 years. I spent 5 of those working in OB. The next 1 1/2 years I worked on a post-surgical unit. Since December I have been doing the job I had wanted since I was in nursing school. I work at the local Health Department in a program called Baby Love. We are here to help our clients have the best pregnancy care they possibly can. It isn't much money, but this is what I feel I am suppose to be doing with my life. I am also a wife for 2 1/2 years and a mother of a 16 year old DS. WDW is my stress reliever. Planning Disney trips is what I LIVE for!!

comicguy
02-17-2008, 08:44 AM
I am a Teacher. I teach 7th and 8th grade special education in a self contained room. The students that I have are essentially there for behavioral management and academics. It can be a tough job but my Disney trips help me get through it.:mickey: My students tend to be behing about 2 academic years vs. the age, soi I tasked with getting them to grade level and prepped for our state exams, not easy seeing how most of them are missing vital academics as they were moved from one academic setting to another because of their behaviors.

princessjojo
02-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Right now, I'm the non-traditional older student returning to school. This May, I finally graduate from nursing school and already have 2 offers from Duke(hopefully 3) and another from a small local hospital here. I'm also a mom of 2 boys and caretaker to my husband (he'd be lost sometimes without me :whew: ) before that I was a retail sales coordinator to a company selling to your "big box" hardware stores as well as the mom & pop corner hardware stores. But manufacturing stinks. Let's see, I'm also social director for my kids, family financial analysist, judge and jury, dietician, health care coordinator, educational assistant, fashion director, and head of travel and tourism.

Man, I'm busy...:blush:

DisneyCrazyET
02-17-2008, 07:40 PM
I have volunteered for the past 15 years at my son(s) schools. PTA, PTSO and various committees. We have a huge volunteer program with the elementary schools. I am now getting paid to sub in the school kitchen which may soon become full time. I still volunteer one morning a week in the reading lab.
DH works as a technician for PPG.
Oldest DS is in the WDWCP working at the Studios now showing guests how to draw Mickey. He is a visual design graduate. (Aug. 2007)
Youngest DS is graduating from high school in June and works on weekends as a server and buffet set up person at a country club.

NotaGeek
02-17-2008, 08:33 PM
I am an Executive Travel Consultant for American Express Centurion Travel Service. Long title for Travel Agent for Rich Folks and Celebrities.

RedSoxandPatsfan
02-18-2008, 02:12 PM
I am an operations manager for a small contract assembly house. We assemble printed circuit boards for other companies. I'm currently in my eighteenth year.

Disney Doll
02-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Who knew we had so many teachers and nurses?

I am an academic advisor at a university. I also teach a social problems class part time as an adjunct instructor. Plus, I'm a mom. I keep busy!

Momof2boys
02-20-2008, 06:31 PM
I am an Executive Travel Consultant for American Express Centurion Travel Service. Long title for Travel Agent for Rich Folks and Celebrities.

I'm jealous - that sounds like a lot of fun !

I'm a Project Lead Manager for a firm that deals with the stock markets. And in my "spare time" I'm PTO President at the boys' school.

princessgirls
02-22-2008, 12:34 PM
I work Part-time (25 hours per week) for Bethany Christian Services.

We are the nation's largest Adoption Agency. I have worked here for 7 years. Adoption is a wonderful ministry and I feel so privledged and honored to have played a small role in bringing families together.

As my kids have grown I have increased my hours. Starting at 12 hours when they were little to 25 now, I still have a half-day kindergartener at home.

DH is a CAT-Scan technician for a nice area hospital.
We are blessed.
Julie:mickey:

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
02-22-2008, 02:18 PM
I am a pharmacist who works in collaboration with the Social Services department in our hospital to assist uninsured and underinsured people with being able to afford their medications. Sometimes this means contacting the prescribers to change to a less expensive alternative and sometimes it means signing the patient up for a free program through the drug manufacturer. It's very rewarding, and the folks we help are very appreciative.

I'm also Mom to DS16 and DD12, both very heavily involved in music and theater and wife to DH who has grown to love Disney as much as the rest of us...even agreeing to buy into DVC last year!

I love to read about everyone's jobs!! This thread was a great idea!!

BelleCiavo
02-22-2008, 04:44 PM
I work Part-time (25 hours per week) for Bethany Christian Services.

My church supports Bethany, wonderful organization.

alphamommy
02-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Right now, I'm a stay-at-home mom. We moved in 2006, and I had planned to look for a job after we got settled. Unfortunately, I was very sick when we moved, and still don't quite feel like I've moved in (I still can't find things!).

Anyway, my degree is in Electrical Engineering, and I worked for an automotive parts supplier for 15 years before DD was born. I worked on instrument clusters (speedometers, gauges, etc.) for an American car company, in several different sorts of engineering (manufacturing systems, embedded software, systems, quality). I particularly enjoyed technical writing and process and procedure development.

I'm not sure what I want to do now. After 3 major illnesses in 7 years, I'm not sure that I want to go back to what I used to do (worrying about delivery dates, catering to customers, etc.). I'd like to do some freelance writing, or something else that I could do part time.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-23-2008, 11:49 PM
As my name says, I do payroll and HR for about 600 employees. All by myself. Very stressful! I also work part time for a jewelry store. That's not as stressful. And it helps me afford my Disney trips.

princessgirls
02-26-2008, 09:57 PM
My church supports Bethany, wonderful organization.

THANK YOU!!

We sooo depend on our church support. It is what really keeps us being able to operate.

DisneyDudet
02-26-2008, 11:44 PM
So do I! I'm a small group reading teacher for struggling readers. I teach 1st through 5th graders. It's very rewarding work (not monetarily, of course).

I am also a part-time student. I'm almost done with pre-reqs for nursing school. My ultimate goal is to earn my masters and become a nurse-midwife.

Amy

You'll make it, Amy, I know it!

Look at me, one year out of school and a Charge Nurse!

PS: I kept this short, just for you!

Mousefever
02-27-2008, 12:13 PM
You'll make it, Amy, I know it!

Look at me, one year out of school and a Charge Nurse!

PS: I kept this short, just for you!

You're so cute Morgan! Thanks for the encouragement. I'm so happy for you that you've been so successful already!

Amy

SurferStitch
02-27-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm a chemical engineer for a company that makes water treatment, antiperspirant and paper manufacturing chemicals. I am the project manager for all large scale projects we have, run the environmental program there, and also work as the technical consultant to our customers. Lots of hard work, but worth it.

DH is the VP of a PR and advertising firm.

Those are our day jobs....

We also have our own home businesses. I design clothing and sell jewelry. DH owns his own web design firm.

Needless to say...when vacation time rolls around, we really, really need it!

Gooftroop5
02-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Today I'm referee, judge, jury, laundress, maid, dishawaher, short order Chef, snow remover, psychologist, general contractor, preschool teacher, ask dd I'm just a overall meanest person in the world (i'm good at what I do. :D) ....ok if you haven't guessed I am a Stay at home mom to a dd 9, ds 4, & ds 3 (yes Irish twins:rolleyes: as i've heard oh 100 times lately). 99.9% I wouldn't trade it for any thing in the world. However that .1% I might consider a serious offer :secret:

jeddalynn
02-27-2008, 02:29 PM

Amy

That is so cool! It sounds like my dream job! I would love a job where I could help get struggling readers in to reading. :read:

Belle619
02-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm an oncology clinical research coordinator - so basically I place cancer patients on clinical trials for new drugs/chemotherapeutic agents. :mickey:

sorarail
02-29-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm a paralegal - I started this career at age 38. It's amazing what a degree in liberal arts (history degree) will lead to...before this, in order, I was a bookkeeper, a media buyer for an ad agency, an advertising VP, PR Coordinator for a community mental health facility - then I moved to SC and went back to bookkeeping. Ugh - so back to school and, ta da, 2 years later I became a certified paralegal. I work for a sole practioner - we do bankruptcies and simple divorces. And I get to knock off early on Fridays!!!:thumbsup:

wedway fan
02-29-2008, 10:52 PM
i'm a family medicine doc :doctor:, formerly military, now private practice.

interesting to see so many nurses- who's caring for our patients?!?;)

MamaStyles
03-01-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm a certified Hatha yoga teacher/studio owner; former middle school teacher::teach:

I would LOVE to see yoga classes offered @ WDW, the Spa resorts would be a great start. I think it's enjoyable to join in a class either at the begining of the day to get those muscles 'warmed up' for the walking ahead or doing a nice, relaxing class at the end of the day. I'll keep suggesting it.:yay::wave:

----------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow...
Shining at the end of ev'ry day

RNTinkFan
03-02-2008, 01:10 AM
Like my name says, I'm an RN also. I worked for 7 years on a Pediatric Intensive care step-down unit and in Pediatric Intensive care for 5 years before that. I took a year off after my husbands death to spend with my kids and have recently started a new job in a Drs office. The hours are so much better than night shift at a hospital.

I am also the mother of five children. Our trips to WDW are what keeps me sane at this point. It's the one place I can go and remember my DH and forget about everything else all at the same time.

brertosh
03-02-2008, 06:15 AM
I work in the Slot department at Bellagio in Las Vegas. Basically I pay the jackpots, pay the handpays, help guests with any problems on the machines, sign up guests for reward cards, fix machine jams/tilts/errors, and anything else that has to do with slots. My wife is a third grade teacher.

MickeyAD
03-02-2008, 02:32 PM
I work 35 hours/week in the season ticket sales department of the Colorado Rockies Baseball Club. GO ROX! Last fall was amazingly busy for us...and, having been a Rockies fan since the age of 7, being able to watch the World Series in person, one of the greatest times of my life!

I am also a full-time senior at the Univ. of Colorado at Denver...GO BUFFS! I will graduate with my degree in communication in December.

After I graduate, with my foot already in the door, I plan on going full-time working for a MLB team in baseball operations. My goal is to become a GM.

amd780
03-02-2008, 03:29 PM
I work in a kitchen & bath design showroom. Although my official title is receptionist, about 80% of what I do is actually sales support. The sales associates are also training me to sell to clients, which I really enjoy. I got the job through a temp agency after I left my old job teaching preschool. I loved the place so much, I ended up staying on full-time. :thumbsup: