PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling and Special Needs

Jenemmy
02-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi guys. I am just wondering if there is anyone on Intercot who homeschools their special needs child. We have always had amazing results in our local public school, but after some staff changes this year, we have seen regression in our autistic son.

I actually spent the day in his class yesterday just watching and I am totally heartsick by what I saw. I don't want to rush into any rash decisions, and quite honestly -- while I have utmost respect for homeschoolers, the notion strikes fear in my soul! Mainly, fear that I would not be adequate.

Just looking for any words of wisdom. Thanks!

wdwfan#1
02-12-2008, 04:32 PM
hey jenemmy, is your child autistic? i have 2 autistic children and modeling typical children is great therapy for them. i've read that being with typical children helps autistic children learn social behavior that they lack. therefore, i don't know if it would be best to homeschool. my 7yr old does great academically, but not so great socially. being around "typical" kids has really helped some social issues. i see that you live in ohio. i live in northeast ohio, so if you want to pm me what county you live in i might know of some resources for you. also, if you're having trouble with staff, i would schedule a meeting. you do have rights under a federal law, i believe it's the no child left behind act, but i'm not certain. i would definately request a meeting with staff including principal and special ed director to stop the issue before it progresses. any other questions, let me know. i'll see what i can find out.

Strmchsr
02-12-2008, 04:52 PM
You know your child best. If you think homeschooling is the right situation, then go for it. You don't need to worry about being adequate. You'll more than be up to the challenge. My DW didn't feel she'd be up to it, either, but she's done a marvelous job with our DS7. He's diabetic and the schools around here just aren't very good at helping manage a diabetic child, so we choose homeschool.

Rachel is quite right about the socialization needs, though. If you do homeschool be sure to plan out how you will get your child to interact with other children. This can be done through homeschooling support groups, church, special camps, etc. Homeschooling doesn't mean you ruin your child's social skills, but it does mean you have to have a plan to make it work. None of us on here know you well enough to say what's right for your family. Folks have different viewpoints on homeschooling, but only you can say what view is right for your child. Once you make your decision, then I'm sure there will be folks who can point you in the direction of the appropriate resources - either for homeschooling or for making sure you get adequate help in your child's school.

merlinmagic4
02-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Do you have any other support services near you for children with autism? We have group here called Children Making Strides and, while I don't know a whole lot about it, I know they provide therapies and support beyond the school system for children with autism.

I agree with Strmchsr (did I spell that right?), only you know your child best and only you can make that decision. Is it possible he was just having a bad day? Have you tried to voice your concerns to the teacher and/or administration? I would consider those things, too.

Good luck!

Jenemmy
02-13-2008, 08:15 AM
hey jenemmy, is your child autistic? i have 2 autistic children and modeling typical children is great therapy for them. i've read that being with typical children helps autistic children learn social behavior that they lack. therefore, i don't know if it would be best to homeschool. my 7yr old does great academically, but not so great socially. being around "typical" kids has really helped some social issues. i see that you live in ohio. i live in northeast ohio, so if you want to pm me what county you live in i might know of some resources for you. also, if you're having trouble with staff, i would schedule a meeting. you do have rights under a federal law, i believe it's the no child left behind act, but i'm not certain. i would definately request a meeting with staff including principal and special ed director to stop the issue before it progresses. any other questions, let me know. i'll see what i can find out.

First off -- thanks for the responses.

Yes, my son is autistic. Classic autism,and largely non verbal.He is 9 and in the 4th grade. To give you a very brief overview....he had the same teacher from K - 3 and if I could nominate her for sainthood, I would. This year, a totally new staff came in and they handle things totally differently.

As far as socialization -- that is one of my main issues. What I was accustomed to was this: there are 4 boys with autism at the school. They have their own classroom where they work in a very structured environment, but they were all integrated into a typical homeroom and spent some time each day with typical kids. DS loved it and those kids were good to him. Now, they have pulled him out of integration completely. Not only that, but from what I saw, they have each boy in the structured class doing his own thing -- they don't even socialize with each other -- they are kept to seperate activities.

I saw absolutely no personal bonds between my son and anyone there...with the exception of the wonderful custodian who has always been so good to those boys (buying them pizza for lunch, coming to visit for high 5's and hugs) When DS caught sight of the custodian, he lit up and went directly to him. The classroom seemed to have a negative tone to it, no joy, no celebrating victories. Just --- depressing and a lot of strict, harsh tones. It isn't what the boys are use to and it sure isn't what I have seen in the past. Even his work session seemed regressive to me.

I have had a few meetings -- mostly because the teacher is unhappy with my son's behavior (as am I). I volunteered to come observe the class so I could get a feel for what was causing my son, who was absolutely thriving and LOVED school in the past, to make such an about face this year. Guess I figured it out.

I suppose I am at the point where I feel like I need a back up plan. Homeschooling was one thought my DH and I discussed. I was just looking for anyone here that might already do that just to bounce some questions off of them.

Sorry for the vent!!!!

Strmchsr
02-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Jen, you're always welcome to vent and ask questions. That's what the forums are here for. I can give you lots of support for homeschooling, but not specifically with an autistic child. However, just for fun I Googled "homeschool autistic child" and there are tons of results with sites giving the advantages and disadvantages of doing such and resources/support for those who do. Try that search and I think you might find some of the answers you're looking for.

Regardless of what you choose, I think you're quite right that something needs to be done. When a child is thriving and loving school and does a complete about-face then obviously something has happened to cause that. Children don't just suddenly decide "I think I'll not do well now." There's always a cause, so good for you for going to the class and talking to the teachers. From your most recent post it sounds like you've already identified several issues. If your son is being kept isolated in school that's a big problem. Even if "typical" kids are all around him he's still not getting the socialization so something needs to be done. Keep us updated!

alaMode
02-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi!
Your son has a right to be educated in the "Least Restictive Environment" which means he should be spending as much time as possible with his general ed peers. Check your son's IEP--it should have minutes or percentages of time he should be spending in his special ed classroom and in a general ed classroom. Schedule a meeting with his special ed team and go over the minutes. They must follow the plan laid out in his IEP--it's a legal document. Bring a weekly calendar and calculate all the minutes spent in each environment and see if they are in compliance. If not, you can work with them to be compliant with the document.

It's hard to have to do these things, especially after your family has had such a positive experience with your son's previous team. Just remember that you are your son's advocate and an equal member of his educational team. Try to go into it believing that everyone has your son's best interest at heart and that they just need more information and support.

I'm sorry, I don't know a thing about homeschooling--I wouldn't attempt it with my son now because he learns so much from his typically developing peers in the school environment. He also learns how to solve problems and advocate for himself appropriately when things are difficult for him. Right now everything is working, but that doesn't mean it will stay this way until he's 18!

You know best what will work for your son! Find out all you can, do your best to work with his team, and then make your decision!

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts! Please keep us posted!

Tess

MsMin
02-13-2008, 04:06 PM
I think the only thing for certain is there are no easy answers. But don't be afraid to try new things and explore. I don't want to offend teachers b/c most often they are not to blame for the situation but I've seen many classes here that are not what I would want for my own child.
I think the IEP is a good place to start. Problem with an IEP is the teacher takes part in it's development so if there are limitations with the system it can be reflected in the IEP. Also interpretation is often very broad.
I agree that he is entitled to an education and I would try to make it work if at all possible. My concern about homeschooling is your hesitation. I am sure you have the skills and can acquire the necessary info but it does take a lot of structure and the biggest drawback is the lack of socialization. I don't criticize people who do I just know it takes a lot of work especially in the beginning.
I would start like Chris suggests on the net looking for a good idea of what I can expect for my child. Knowledge is power.... Remember too that the most difficult thing w/ autism is that there is so much variation among types so feel free to ask if you have questions and I can try to help guide you with what you can expect.
I've seen some classes where they mix autistic children w/ edbd (emotionally and behaviorally disturbed) children. I know funding is sometimes limited but I would recommend home school at that point.
You're not alone...

BrerGnat
02-14-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm sorry you're going through all this. This is a big fear of mine as my own autistic son gets older. He is only 3.5 now and LOVES his preschool,and they do a fabulous job with him, but I know things will change drastically when he enters Kindergarten, and beyond.

Have you looked at other school districts in the area? You can always petition to change your son's school or district if necessary. I don't know if this would be possible for you, but it may be an option worth looking into.

Jasper
02-14-2008, 06:22 PM
As someone who was in Human Resources for the last 15 years, I have seen the good the bad and the ugly of people coming into the workforce through homeschooling. Homeschooling of children with just your everyday type of needs is a real challenge so working with a special needs child is exponentially more difficult.

Before you make any decisions make sure that you have addressed your concerns with the teachers, the classroom aides, the social workers at the school, the principal, the school system superintendent, or even the school board if necessary to make sure that you have given the school every chance to make it work for your child. I would also be sure to discuss the situation with your child's doctor(s) to make sure there is nothing going on with the child's health situation that may be adding to the issue.

In other words, make sure that you are as positive as you possibly can be that homeschooling is the best answer for your situation. One final comment that I hope you take in the right light because I think you are already doing it. But it has been my observation that the parents of special needs students have a far more difficult job than anyone else of sheparding their child through the educational years of that child's life.

Good Luck!!

disneydeb
02-14-2008, 06:42 PM
It is not No Child Left Behind, but an older law PL94-142 that guarantees children rights to an education in the Least Restrictive Environment.
A possible solution for your child, may be for the system to hire an assistant to accompany your child to a regular classroom for appropriate classes. I'm thinking ( not knowing your child) that possibly art, music, lunch, recess, guidance, library and PE, maybe even social studies and science could be managed in a regular classroom environment with an assistant and proper goals for his ability. Language, speech, reading and math activities in a more structured focus area with ideally one on one or small group instruction.
I have taught Special Needs children for over 20 years, with a M. Ed. in Special Needs. Of
course, it is not proper for me to perscribe an individualized education plan without proper testing and observation, so this is to be a suggested guide not carved in stone.
Good luck and blessings to you and your child.

Nate's Grandpa
02-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Hello Jen!

I don't have any advice to add to the excellent advice already given.

I'm sorry to hear about the school situation with Travis. If you decide to do home schooling, I think you will do fine. It won't be easy by any means, but I have confidence in you.

I will be praying for you and Travis.

Let us know what happens.

BelleCiavo
02-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi Jen,
I homeschool, no special needs children, but my dear friend homeschools her autistic son. She has a great therapist that comes to her home 2 or 3 days a week paid for by her district, I know those sessions help her tremendously.

I belong to a fantastic online community of homeschoolers called The Well Trained Mind. There are quite a few homeschoolers on there with special needs children, I'll send you a PM with the web address. I'm sure any questions you have can be answered over there.

:hug:
Karen

Jenemmy
02-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Many, many thanks to each of you. I so appreciate being able to have a place to toss out a frustration and have so many wonderful people offer advice and suggestions. It means a lot, and I am carefully going over each post in this thread. This is a HUGE decision for our family and for our son's future, and not one I dare take lightly. All the input here is a tremendous help.

Currently, I have scheduled a meeting with the lady who taught my son for 4 years and coaxed nothing short of miraculous things out of him. I want to go over with her the work sessions I saw him do in class and get her opinion as to whether the work is appropriate for him or not. That will give me more of a base to stand on and then I can schedule another meeting with the current staff in his room.

How responsive everyone is to that will show me a lot. In the meantime, I am going to check out all the avenues given to me here and really do my homework to decide our best step for next year.

Much love to you all!!!!!! Wish I could send each of you to Disney World :mickey:

iluvdizney2
02-17-2008, 10:20 PM
I homeschool (homschooled) my kids... 5 of them...
all of them have medical disabilities and also I have 2 with aspergers.
I support Homeschooling an autistic child so much! I think it is great. You can always get a IEP set up for support services in your home. We have that for us. I am the primary teacher and then the school sends in OT ,Sp and Lang., and I have a sped teacher available for consult if I need it.
I would strongly recommend you think about your reasons for homeschooling and then write down pros and cons...I have done it and succeeded with medically involved kids. It makes it easier for Dr appts, and also can do mini trips or family vacations on less than peak times. Museums are geat for kids with autism when it isnt during a busy school time. Movies are fun during a slow day hour, and then playgrounds are great when school is in session, so you can play and have space to explore with out the confusion of lots of noise. Libraries are good too, because you pretty much have it alone during a school day. You end up getting a lot more done in fewer hours and it is nice. You will get tired easy as it is a LOT of work....but I have one in college now and it wasnt all that bad...there is A LOT of info out there...best of luck!
another perk....you can go to Disney during off times and do a LOT more there too..and you dont have to worry about the school complaining about missing days....:thumbsup:

BandMan
02-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Jen,

I am a 20 year educator with a Master's in school administration. I also have two autistic sons. Let me first echo some of the good comments you have heard here. You are always the most qualified to decide what is best for your child. Here are a couple of additional things that you may want to consider:

1.) While there are school districts that do an excellent job providing in-home services, it can often be a struggle to get schools to do that. I have heard numerous horror stories of parents that fight to get these services only to find that they are minimal in quality or frequency.

2.) Being both your child's primary care-giver and his/her primary educator is a lot of load to carry. It's okay to admit that you need a break without feeling guilty. What's more, it may be in your child's best interest to get used to interracting with more adults. I know that is the case with our boys.

3.) While the teacher(s) may be part of the IEP team, you cannot be forced to sign off on it if you feel it is inadequate. It can be very difficult to push for certain types of services, or a specific environment, etc. but you have the right to do so. I know very well that it can get very tiring always having to be your child's advocate, but don't let that keep you from pushing for what he/she needs.

In the end, if you decide that homeschooling is best, I hope it is a wonderful experience for you and your child. I just would hate to see anyone feel that they 'had' to homeschool because they couldn't get their school to listen and make necessary adjustments.

Best of luck.

LibertyTreeGal
02-20-2008, 11:21 AM
I have no answers for you but I just wanted to give you a hug! :hug:

We went through a similar homeschool vs public school struggle, but spina bifida is a completely different ball of wax.

Might I suggest a trial period during the summer? Go ahead and homeschool him for a few months, and if it is a disaster, well, at leat you tried. :)

Lori Anne
03-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi Jen! I homeschool my daughter (who's 14), and has severe special needs. The docs think she's too medically fragile to be in a public classroom daily. I have been homeschooling her for about 6 years. We get tremendous support from the public school system here. They purchase what I need for her, and send PT OT and Vision Therapy to the house. We feel very blessed to have such a supportive school district!!
Lori.