PDA

View Full Version : Staying at other resorts

Gator
02-12-2008, 02:26 PM
I know there's a list of DVC villas, and they are all very nice. But me, DW, DD, and DS simply require a studio. Can we stay at other resorts, like the Polynesian, GF, or Con with the DVC? I'm sure we can, but I wanted to check. Also, is there a calculator for points at those resorts?

Ian
02-12-2008, 02:43 PM
The answer is yes ... and yes ...

You can stay at any Disney World resort on points. I don't have my point chart handy (you may be able to Google one up on line, though), but I can tell you that it is far more expensive in terms of point usage.

DVC is definitely geared towards folks who want to use their points at DVC resorts. Although, I do know some people who have used points to stay at other resorts with some success.

mouse-logic
02-12-2008, 03:07 PM
As stated above. Yes you can stay at any of the Disney resorts using DVC points (aka The Disney Collection, I believe). The DVC member website has point charts for the WDW resorts. But also as stated above, it is ridiculously expensive.

For example, a standard view studio room at the Yacht Club (basically the same as a standard view studio at the Beach Club) will run you 36 Points M-T and 65 points F-S.... per night DURING VALUE SEASON! The Poly and GF are even higher. Not a good use of points IMO.

The same room during value season at BCV is only 12 points and 22 points respectively.

DVC Mike
02-12-2008, 03:30 PM
You can stay at any Disney World resort on points.

Actually, no. You can't stay at WL, BC, BWI, or AKL on points. You can stay at the DVC portion on points, but not in the hotel portion.

You also cannot stay at a Value resort on points.

SignguyTom
02-12-2008, 04:43 PM
To give you an idea, we stayed at the Grand Californian in Disneyland for 3 nights in early November. For a Thu, Fri, Sat stay, 106 points were required. I would expect that to be similar to some of the WDW non-DVC hotels. We would not generally use our points in that fashion except we bought a DVC re-sale which came with some banked points we couldn't use otherwise.

Also, the DVC resorts all offer studio units - not just 1, 2, 3 BR villas.....

lockedoutlogic
02-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Do not use DVC points at other WDW locations...it is a complete...and i mean complete....rip off.....

I can't advise that for anybody...the return on your points is so low it defeats the purpose of getting DVC in the first place

dlpmikki
02-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Don't buy DVC to stay at non-DVC resorts, it really doesn't make sense. It is expensive in points and seems to get more expensive year by year and now they even charge $95 as well each time you book to stay at an 'ordinary' WDW hotel.

We did use points once for a 3 night stay in the Tower at the Contemporary because we had the points available. We were lucky and got upgraded to the concierge floor and had a great time. But we haven't used the points in hotels since.

lockedoutlogic
02-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Don't buy DVC to stay at non-DVC resorts, it really doesn't make sense. It is expensive in points and seems to get more expensive year by year and now they even charge $95 as well each time you book to stay at an 'ordinary' WDW hotel.

We did use points once for a 3 night stay in the Tower at the Contemporary because we had the points available. We were lucky and got upgraded to the concierge floor and had a great time. But we haven't used the points in hotels since.

I agree....the only time you should EVER book a non DVC wdw hotel is if you have points to burn and no conceivable way to use them....

MinnieMommie
02-13-2008, 07:49 PM
I agree....the only time you should EVER book a non DVC wdw hotel is if you have points to burn and no conceivable way to use them....

I have to agree. Buying into DVC to stay at a non-DVC property is pointless (and will make you very point less). For some who have a large amount of points and have extra to spare it might make sense on occasion but for me it makes sense to purchase nights at a non-DVC resort rather than to use my points if I want for whatever reason to stay at a non-DVC resort.:mickey:

Donald A
02-14-2008, 09:44 PM
I have to agree. Buying into DVC to stay at a non-DVC property is pointless (and will make you very point less). For some who have a large amount of points and have extra to spare it might make sense on occasion but for me it makes sense to purchase nights at a non-DVC resort rather than to use my points if I want for whatever reason to stay at a non-DVC resort.:mickey:

Yes, to buy into DVC to stay at non-DVC resorts is not very financially sound, however, my wife and I are staying at Grand Floridian in December just as a last trip before having kids. It will be 41 points a night which will get you like 2 nights in a one bedroom at Saratoga. This is what is nice about DVC. You can vacation how you want in many different ways.

lockedoutlogic
02-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Yes, to buy into DVC to stay at non-DVC resorts is not very financially sound, however, my wife and I are staying at Grand Floridian in December just as a last trip before having kids. It will be 41 points a night which will get you like 2 nights in a one bedroom at Saratoga. This is what is nice about DVC. You can vacation how you want in many different ways.

if you factor in your initial purchase price and your 40+ years of annual dues....then you are probably paying more than rack rate to stay at the GF....

What's great about DVC is that you can exchange it out into other systems fairly easily because someone almost always wants your spot at WDW....

The "Disney Collection" is a complete rip off....and there is no way around it.

as an aside.....last trip before having kids and your trip is 10 months away.....you've really got this thing down to a science don't you:secret: