PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of Aloha Show

rubato
02-12-2008, 10:11 AM
I asked for advice on this show. Got a lot of negative feedback. Well, we decided to try it anyway because with hubby's fear of flying, we're not getting to Hawaii anytime soon.

You guys were absolutely right. It was not even remotely worth the money. The fresh pineapple and bread were pretty good. The ribs were good, but since I live right outside KC, I'm able to get amazing ribs any day. The rest of the food was awful. The fact that you had a choice of sodas, bad beer or bad wine didn't go over well with my hubby.

The show was wonderful and awful. I loved the traditional dances and the fire dancer (of course, he loves himself so much, I got annoyed). The band was also good. But, all the dialogue, the story, and any of the new stuff was really awful. Also, they had a bad sound system. I couldn't hear most of the dialogue and realized later that that was a good thing!;)My son loved the hula lesson even though he was very sick. And, our waiter went out of his way to make my son feel better. Brought him anything he could think of.

So, never again will I spend $60 per person for bad food and entertainment. Lesson learned!:)

DizneyRox
02-12-2008, 11:43 AM
I'd like to say I told you so, but I won't...

Live and learn I guess... It pains me to think about the time we wasted a number of years back. You could give me comped tickets to the show and I wouldn't bother to go.

teambricker04
02-12-2008, 11:44 AM
I don't remember disliking the food. It must have been because the last time we ate there I was pregnant and probably very hungry. I know I thought it would be better if I had had a drink. :mickey:

I liked all the traditional dancing, but the show does have lame dialouge. That being said, I think it would be perfect for my three year old. He loves the tiki room, need I say more?!?!

Overall it is an expensive meal, but we like it. Some what of a tradition I guess as my DH loved going here when he was a child. Worth the money? Maybe not, but we do like it.

jpH/keD
02-12-2008, 12:02 PM
We opted to skip it this trip and did the luau at Seaworld instead. The ONLY reason we did that one was because we went in NOV and they said if it got cold they cancelled the Disney one some times. The SW luau was totally indoors.

I am sad to hear bad things about SOA. We are considering staying at the Poly next trip and I so wanted that to be the finale of our resort day! Hmmm. Time to rethink things....

DNS
02-12-2008, 01:05 PM
This is a big disappointment for me also. We were planning to go this fall. When I read about the changes, I wondered if all the dialogue would bog down the show. We will be four adults and one 10 year old girl when we go. It sounds like maybe we had just better skip this show.

Tinkerfreak
02-12-2008, 02:04 PM
We decided to do this last year in Novemver because we had done it before and liked it. We really felt it was the biggest waste of money. I agree about the fire dancer being full of himself. I was not impressed with him pretending to be burned and grabbing his crotch numerous times. Nor was I impressed with the drag queen who was in the show when we were there. My DD's kept asking me why that man was dressed as a woman. I thought this was a friendly family show for crying out loud. If I wanted my kids to go see a man grabbing himself I would have taken him to a rock concert and if I wanted to take them to see a drag queen I would have taken them to Vegas!!!
Needless to say the only dinner show we will be doing is the Hoop-Dee-Doo. Not unless they come up with a new one and I for one would love to see a new one.

Gator
02-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Always listen to the Gator:D