PDA

View Full Version : First timer-First day-First ride? MK

Cigar Rex
02-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Hi everyone! We are 11 days away from our trip to WDW and getting very excited. My wife has never been to any Disney park and I'm not sure what her reaction is going to be to any of it. I was a Disney freak before I knew her and we are newly married and making our first trip together. I did decide to go to MK on the first day but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on what our first ride should be? I want her to have a great time and really be pulled into the Disney magic right away. I am hoping that the walk down Main Street USA and the first vision of the castle will do it but after that, what next?

Tinkitude
02-12-2008, 08:57 AM
I found that before our first trip to Disney, just looking at what there was to do online got me very excited and drawn into the magic. I was in my early 30s when we made our first trip. Pirates of the Caribbean, Spash Mountain, The Haunted Mansion, all very thrilling and very Disney experiences. I would start showing her what to expect, pictures, videos, that will get her excited. I would bet that your enthusiasm and love for Disney will rub off as well.:mickey: Have a great trip!!

WelshieLover
02-12-2008, 09:13 AM
After walking Main Street ever since my first visit we always went towards Adventureland. Pirates of the Carribean should be the first ride. It is the essential Disney ride! Then see the tiki birds, the jungle cruise and the tree house. Immerse her in the beauty of Adventureland. I really think for your first visit you really need to savor it all and not so much of the running around to hit the big rides.

TBY2225
02-12-2008, 09:14 AM
I remember my first trip as a child and my very first ride was Dumbo. When my DD and DS both took their first trips they rode Dumbo first too! Being adults though, I would have to say my picks for the first ride ever would be either Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, or Pirates!

brad192
02-12-2008, 09:25 AM
I'd say, take her to Philharmagic. It's total immersion in Disney, and the 4D "Wow" factor will blow her away! Although, PotC & HM are good choices too. Don't forget to do the attractions a lot of us veterans skip - like CBJ & the riverboat. For a first timer, these are just as wonderful as the "E-tickets".:mickey:

Oh, and don't forget to get her a Dole Whip!:tasty:

mouse-logic
02-12-2008, 09:35 AM
I'd say, take her to Philharmagic. It's total immersion in Disney, and the 4D "Wow" factor will blow her away! Although, PotC & HM are good choices too. Don't forget to do the attractions a lot of us veterans skip - like CBJ & the riverboat. For a first timer, these are just as wonderful as the "E-tickets".:mickey:

Oh, and don't forget to get her a Dole Whip!:tasty:

I agree with this 100 percent. Mickey's Philharmagic captures it all in 6 minutes. No one leaves without a smile.

c&d
02-12-2008, 09:43 AM
I would say Dumbo, I know the first time I went I wanted to go on that ride. I just remember seeing it on TV at DL when I was growing up. To me that was Disney. You can also walk thru the Castle to the ride.

Follow up with Mickey's Philharmagic and Peter Pan and I think you're off to a great start.

SAnderson70769
02-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Personally, I think the walk down Main Street and seeing that castle seems to grab most every first timer I have ever taken with me in our group. After that, I think the idea of Pirates and walking thru the lush area of Adventureland would do it OR walk THRU the castle and go to Philharmagic - you can't go wrong either way! Hope you guys have a blast!

diz_girl
02-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Ditto on doing POTC first. Then do Peter Pan (hopefully with FP), although you may want to finish Adventureland and Frontierland before you get to Fantasyland. Those two rides seem to really capture the magic of WDW more than any others.

Cigar Rex
02-12-2008, 10:15 AM
These are great suggestions everyone! I would have never thought of doing Philharmagic first but it does make sense. Part of my problem is that although this is her first time, it is my first time in almost 3 years. This coming from someone that used to visit two or three times a year, so I have to balance my urge to rush around hitting all my favorites and catching up while also trying to be a tour guide to my wife.

disneymom15
02-12-2008, 10:17 AM
My vote is for Pirates. I agree with everyone else, I think that the initial walk down Main St and seeing the castle for the first time will make her a believer. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

1goofyfamily
02-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I would say grab a Dole Whip and then head over to Pirates or Splash Mountain. I think you get that classic Disney feel going on Pirates but for a zipadee doo dah time then head to Splash Mountain. Everyone comes out of there smiling - well unless you happen to get soaked. Not too mention everyone loves that song.

AuntDJ
02-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Ok, this may sound off, but my first ride is always the TTA...

We usually get to the park around 2ish..get a fast pass for buzz or Space mountain, then hit the TTA for a leisurely beginning..get a glance of the castle/tomorrowland....

DJ

Goofy Texan
02-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Is there any way you can make your first visit to the Magic Kingdom the evening before the full day? By going in the evening, you can take your time and let her just absorb the atmosphere.

Instead of rushing to get to rides quickly before lines build or Fast Passes are gone, you can take your time. Ride the TTA, railroad, and riverboat to give her a nice tour of the place. Use the tip board and if waits are reasonable or Fast Passes are available, hit a headliner or two. Or, go see Carousel of Progress and Hall of Presidents, then finish the evening with Spectro and Wishes. The next morning, you can return at rope drop ready to hit all the headliners.

Another suggestion is to not try and build up intense excitement before you leave. Let her go in expecting a fun amusement park. The less she's expecting the greater the Disney impact!

wdwfansince75
02-12-2008, 10:50 AM
With no kids, POTC....or Jungle Cruise, followed by POTC. Then, get a fast pass for Splash, head over to HM.....

The name says it all....MAGIC Kingdom....

cinderella crazy
02-12-2008, 11:44 AM
I also agree with POTC and Philharmagic and would also suggest the Carousel as well. I love riding the Carousel and being able to see the castle and other rides in the area.

ncscgirl2005
02-12-2008, 01:47 PM
We rode Space Mountain first and we were hooked! And please don't forget the Dole Whip!

PinKy
02-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Take her on your favorite ride! You will be so excited, she's bound to pick up on the excitement! Also - don't rush and take your time so that she can take everything in. Have a great time!

MauiMouse
02-12-2008, 01:57 PM
For me it's always been the TTA. When I went with a newbie back in 2003, that was the first ride we took her on. What a great way to get an overview of Space Mountain and Buzz. :thumbsup:

KAT1811
02-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Pirates of the Carribean should be the first ride.

:ditto:

I think that the initial walk down Main St and seeing the castle for the first time will make her a believer.

:ditto: (again)

I would say grab a Dole Whip

:ditto: (yet again)! Can't forget the Dole Whip!!!

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
02-12-2008, 03:16 PM
I think I would go with Mickey's Philharmagic..

A) She will walk through Main Street, under the huge Castle, see the beautiful theming of Fantasyland and see a show full of Disney-magic and features many references like the Lion King, Alladin, Mickey, Donald, Goofy etc., it features some famous Disney songs, and the audience always loves it so she will come out either absolutely giddy and happy :number1::thumbsup:

Or if she doesn't like the Disney-approach, you know what to expect for the rest of the trip :D

scoot241
02-12-2008, 03:52 PM
I'd start with Splash Mountain. I think it embodies many different aspects of WDW: the dark ride, Disney characters and story, and a couple of thrills all in one 15 minute ride.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-12-2008, 04:13 PM
I'd say Pirates of the Caribbean. My first trip to Disney....this was my first ride. It is one of my favorites. I will cry if this ride ever goes away. I always ride this several times.

Second choice would be Haunted Mansion....also a ride I rode mulitiple times on my first trip.

Have Fun! I'm so excited for you.

mdearmas
02-12-2008, 04:14 PM
I can't believe no one has suggested this but...

Find out what her favorite disney character is, if there is an attraction, show, dining experience, etc that includes that character take her there first.

:goofy:

BMan62
02-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Personally, I think the walk down Main Street and seeing that castle seems to grab most every first timer I have ever taken with me in our group. After that, I think the idea of Pirates and walking thru the lush area of Adventureland would do it OR walk THRU the castle and go to Philharmagic - you can't go wrong either way! Hope you guys have a blast!

:ditto::ditto:
:number1:You read my mind!:thumbsup:

Simbafan73
02-12-2008, 05:16 PM
I would have to say that you should bring her on Splash Mountain to start.
There is something very magical about that ride.

andreallybadeggs
02-12-2008, 06:57 PM
I love love love POC (hence my screen name) and yes, all the more "grown up" rides (POC, HM, the 3 mountains) is where I might head early in the day but only AFTER I'd strolled up Main Street and ridden DUMBO. It is the quintessential! Also agree that Philharmagic is wonderful but it is a new addition so I would put that a close second behind DUMBO!!!
Start with the classic:thumbsup: and besides, since it can only take a few folks at a time
that line gets so long later in the day that it's best to ride it early. DUMBO!:dumbo::dumbo:

ktflisa
02-12-2008, 07:42 PM
I see lots of votes for Splash Mountain. One thing - be sure she doesn't mind getting wet! I hate getting wet - it's just a weirdness thing I have, but if my husband (also a Disney junkie before I met him) had taken me on Splash Mountain first I may have killed him :D Plus, it messes up the hair for photos the rest of the day ! :mickey:

I think Philharmagic is a great idea, or Buzz Lightyear. Depends on what she likes - if she loves rollercoasters, Big Thunder!

Have a blast, and be sure to report back after your trip!

KAJUNKING
02-12-2008, 08:28 PM
i dont really know why but we always go right when we get into the magic kingdom and ride cop, or tta, but if i was going with a first timer i like the idea of going through the castle and going into fantasyland and philharmagic :thumbsup: good luck!

Jillirose
02-12-2008, 08:33 PM
You could visit the world on the virtual magic kingdom. You can explore several of the rides before you go!

KAT1811
02-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Plus, it messes up the hair for photos the rest of the day ! :mickey:

:drama: Heaven forbid!! LOL!!! Glad to hear that I am not the only one trying to salvage my hair in an overtly vain attempt to look fabulous in the rest of the days vacation pictures! :shades: :blush:

Cigar Rex
02-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Keep em coming guys! Lot's of great ideas here! I'm getting really excited just thinking about it now. I like the suggestion about the favorite character thing but the problem is that she does not really have a favorite yet because she doesn't know that much about Disney. One thing I do know is that she LOVES people in costume. :D In the interest of staying family friendly I won't elaborate much but let's just say that it's more of an attraction than a childlike fondness! :blush: I'm sure we will have LOTS of character photos on this trip.

BelleBeauty
02-13-2008, 10:54 AM
I think Fantasyland holds a lot of the magic that we as Disneyphiles love. However, it might not capture enough of the magic for a first timer.

I would say head over to POTC. Classic and Walt's favorite. Then head over to Splash - love that ride! and BTMRR. Make your way to HM and try to eat in Cinderella's Castle for that ultimate first-time experience.

Have fun!! :mickey:

milhouse
02-13-2008, 11:11 AM
I would go straight to Frontierland and fast pass either Big Thunder or Splash. Then go on POTC. But the Philharmagic's not a bad idea either.

Disney Doll
02-13-2008, 11:42 AM
We always start an evening at MK on our travel day. Then, we head back early the next morning for our first full day. We feel more relaxed on day one knowing we'll be back. Instead we just snack, catch a few rides, and end the day with Wishes. The thing my DH loved most about his first trip was the details. Taking it slow that first day will give your wife time to really notice all the Disney extras and appreciate the beauty of the park. Nothing better! I think POC or HM are great first rides because of the details. I save Fantasyland for first thing on day two because it always feels so claustrophobic there in the afternoons.

dolphinmickey9170
02-13-2008, 11:51 AM
My first ride at MK was Time Keeper, which is no longer there. My suggestion would be PoTC!!

bleukarma
02-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I say sit down in front of the Disney website or Intercot with her and go over the things to do. The things that she gets most excited about should be in consideration of doing first. I think it all depends on the person.

For example I don’t like Splash Mountain so I would hate to have my first experience being a ride that I don’t like. If she is like me and she doesn’t like the drop or the wet factor then she may walk away not too impressed and it may damper the rest of the experience.

Also, I don’t like 3D stuff, but I love the Philharmagic! I think Philharmagic is a must-do, but probably not for the first thing. She is probably looking forward to getting to WDW and “doing something.” Going into a theater and sitting down may not be on her mind of something fun to do first thing in the morning.

If she is a fan of PoTC movies then I think PoTC ride should be considered first thing. Also I like the idea of Dumbo since it’s a Disney staple. I haven’t been on Dumbo in YEARS but when I take someone for the first time then you bet they have to do it!

But again, it all depends on the person. Most importantly, have fun!:mickey:

BelleCiavo
02-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Pirates :mickey:

IC10
02-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Crystal Palace for breakfast before the park opens and then the train!! Woohoo see the whole park get her excited then have fun.

Ohhh yeah and the Dole Whip get one for yourself too no need to share those things!!!

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
02-13-2008, 01:37 PM
The first thing that popped in to my head was PhilharMagic. If you want to capture the magic, atmosphere, characters, and Disney fantasy, it's all in this 3-D show!

Closely behind if you want to start with a thrilling adventure in MK, go to Splash Mountain.

Closely followed by Pirates of the Caribbean.

But go with PhilharMagic...she'll love it!

Chris :hatter:

SBETigg
02-13-2008, 01:49 PM
I think Pirates of the Caribbean is the ideal first ride, because it's such a classic and really embodies everything that a Disney ride should be, to me. It has something for everyone, thrills, a storyline, great animatronics, and such attention to detail. And it's what people who haven't been to WDW have usually heard of and have some expectation of wanting to ride.

I think PhilHarmagic first would be underwhelming and I would prefer a ride to get me in the mood over a theater show (as spectacular as it is). Similarly, I think Splash Mt, Thunder Mt, or Space Mt could be overwhelming- starting out with a bang, but it's more something to work up to, for me. My first Disney ride was Jungle Cruise (another good first ride) and I'll never forget it.

KAT1811
02-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Ohhh yeah and the Dole Whip get one for yourself too no need to share those things!!!

Share a Dole Whip? LOL!! :blush:

Kurtoon
02-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Take a slow walk down main street and then Adventureland...yes jungle cruise and pirates
and popcorn

WDW24
02-13-2008, 03:17 PM
My first ever ride was It's a Small World. It is a wonderful ride.:mickey:

Cigar Rex
02-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Crystal Palace for breakfast before the park opens and then the train!! Woohoo see the whole park get her excited then have fun.

Yep, we have priority seating for breakfast at CP on day one! First ride will be following breakfast so I guess I should have mentioned this as BTMR or SM might not be the best choices on a full stomach! :sick:

Duchess99
02-13-2008, 07:14 PM
I would go with a classic...either PotC or HM. It'll show her the magic of Walt himself. I always make HM my first ride at MK...it's the best!

crltkcagle
02-13-2008, 07:21 PM
POC!!! When you get down there and you hear yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me it puts you in the best mood! I have it playing on a few of my websites and it makes me want to be in wdw everytime i hear it! have a great trip!:pirate:

MinnieMommie
02-13-2008, 08:28 PM
After a walk down Main St and a look at the castle I would run her down to Peter Pan. PP is a magical experience for young and old alike and for those who do and do not like rides. Nothing like PP to rekindle the child within. And I would make sure you get to the park as soon as it opens or the long wait in line for PP might put a damper on her experience! :mickey:

Stan
02-13-2008, 08:51 PM
This thread illustrates part of what is so neat about INTERCOT. All the people who've posted, and a bunch of others who've read but not posted, have been imagining what it will be like for your DW to experience all the magic we know and love- and how enjoyable sharing that will be for you. :cloud9: Anticipation, sharing, and remembering are as much a part of the Disney magic as the actual experiences. :mickey: :thumbsup:

No wonder CM's can put up with soooooo much and keep smiling- :D all these good feelings from thousands of guests are soaking the space around them. I often feel like I'm on vacation with my clients- well... almost. :blush:

I think you pretty much can't go wrong, but I'll vote for POTC too.

ASweetLov
02-13-2008, 09:47 PM
When my boyfriend and I both went there for the first time in 2006 our first ride was Dumbo:dumbo: I was already a disney fanatic but the dumbo ride alone got my boyfriend hooked:mickey:

WDWFREAK101
02-16-2008, 09:19 PM
It really depends on what she likes. Does she likes slow nice rides or hardcore thrills? Also keep in mind if you think she will like Big Thunder Mountain, be careful because that ride is on the FAR side of the park in the very back. For a first timer, walking past many attractions in a hurry can ruin the magic of the first stay. Look at a map and ask her what she likes, don't show her what she will be riding first. Look at the map figure out what she likes and what is nearby. Walking down Main Street is enough for a first timer *gasp* because it is absolutely beautiful but make sure the magic keeps flowing. :thumbsup:

Good Luck!

Cigar Rex
02-18-2008, 08:09 AM
This thread illustrates part of what is so neat about INTERCOT. All the people who've posted, and a bunch of others who've read but not posted, have been imagining what it will be like for your DW to experience all the magic we know and love- and how enjoyable sharing that will be for you. :cloud9: Anticipation, sharing, and remembering are as much a part of the Disney magic as the actual experiences. :mickey: :thumbsup:

No wonder CM's can put up with soooooo much and keep smiling- :D all these good feelings from thousands of guests are soaking the space around them. I often feel like I'm on vacation with my clients- well... almost. :blush:

I think you pretty much can't go wrong, but I'll vote for POTC too.

Very well said Stan! :mickey: Between you and me I'm leaning pretty heavily towards POTC. :thumbsup:

PirateLover
02-18-2008, 10:27 AM
There is nothing more magical than being on that first Dumbo go-round in the morning, before the lines, and when everything seems fresh and new. Although I had been to WDW as a child, I never rode Dumbo until I was 18 because lines were always too long. But on my first trip with my then boyfriend (now my fiance!) he insisted we run to Dumbo first thing. It was like seeing everything for the first time again. :dumbo:

kaerbear178
02-18-2008, 12:25 PM
I took my husband, then DBF a couple years ago for his first time. I think the first ride we went on was The Haunted Mansion. I made the mistake of trying to walk to fast - I do this in daily life. I just wanted to look around at all of the details and I thought he would want to get on the rides. So on this next trip he told me we are going to spend more time looking around at all of the details. No matter what you pick she is going to love it! I don't think you can make a mistake! Have an amazing trip.