View Full Version : Tax Return Question

Jeri Lynn
02-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi Folks,
I am working on my daughters tax return...and have a couple questions if anyone can answer them.

She is a college student, or should I say, was, but took this year off, however she did pay some tuition for spring of 2007 and received a tax form from her school stating the amount paid.

The tax form is in her name and my husband and I cannot claim any tuition because of his income.

Can I claim the tuition for her on a 1040A, I noticed there is not a place for it on the 1040EZ.

Also, I printed out form 8917 (Tuition and Fees deduction) and I noticed it says something about not being able to claim if another person can claim an exemption fo ryou as a dependent on his or her tax return.

I went back to my last years return and our accountant did list her as a dependent but we were not eligible to get a child tax credit...

So I am not sure if I can use her tuition as a deduction on her return...


02-11-2008, 01:53 PM
1. Beware of discussion board tax tips except this one, consult with a tax professional or call the IRS. :blush:

That said, I believe it all revolves around if you are going to claim her as a dependent. If so, that's your deduction. If not, that's her deduction.

It also might not be enough to cover the standard deduction (sounds like it to me) so it may all be moot.

Sorry for no being more helpful...

Jeri Lynn
02-11-2008, 02:14 PM
I think I will just send her to get her taxes done...I used to do ours all the time before they got too complicated...