PDA

View Full Version : Funky Work Hours a.k.a. what time do you get up?

Marker
02-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Recently, since a little before Christmas, I find myself working a rather funky schedule. I'm working 4:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., meaning I get up at 3:30 a.m., BY CHOICE.

I used to work 6:00 - 3:00 (getting up at 5) and thought that was weird, but for some reason one week, started waking up early, so just got up an went to work. Now I seem to be stuck to this schedule. Luckily, my currently employer allows this sort of flexibility, or at least they haven't complained about it, I guess I never really asked.

So yeah, I get up at 3:30 every morning. Actually, it's working out pretty good though. All my life I've lived on 5 - 6 hours of sleep at night. So, I try to be in bed by 10, and get up at 3:30, that's 5.5 hours and that's normal for me. There's no traffic at that time of morning, and I have to say it's pretty sweet getting off at 12:30.

Carol
02-11-2008, 12:46 PM
I get up between 5-5:30.

I work 8-4.

No getting to work any earlier than I have too since I have a son, animals and chores to attend to beforehand. :whew:

My commute to work is only 20 minutes.

I tend to be in bed by 10 too. :sleepin:

bleukarma
02-11-2008, 12:50 PM
I get up at 6am and I work 8-5. I live 20 minutes from my house but I try to get to work early to settle in (and check Intercot) for the day.

I HATE waking up in the mornings. I am not a morning person at all. When I worked for a broadcasting company I would usually volunteer for the evening shift so I didn't have to wake up in the mornings. I wish my office had an evening shift! haha

mook3y
02-11-2008, 01:20 PM
I get up anywhere from 6:15 am to 8 am to be to work anywhere from 6:50 to 8:30am.

Mainly depends on when I feel like getting up. :)

My schedule is very flexible, so long as I put in 40 hours a week M - F.

I also take 4 or 5 classes a semester at the University and need that flexability with my schedule.

Graduate next year!!! so can't wait!!!

Jasper
02-11-2008, 02:35 PM
It really is amazing how a person gets acclimated to schedules that make others think they are nuts. I have a good friend who is a DJ at a local radio station and not only has to be on the air but has to be perky and with it by 4 am every morning! He has been doing this for more than 20 years now and can't imagine doing anything different.

I used to be one of those people who used to be an early riser-never getting to work later than 5 am. However as of the middle of 2006 my back problems got so bad that I can't work full time any longer. As a result I now help my wife out at her costume store that opens at 11 am. Because of this change I have a hard time getting out of bed before 7 am anymore.

MNNHFLTX
02-11-2008, 02:48 PM
On days that I work I get up at 4:45 a.m., which is the norm for me since I started working day shift as a nurse 19 years ago. On the days that I don't work I get up at 5:30 a.m. (except for Sundays, when I might sleep in a bit later).

merlinmagic4
02-11-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm usually up around four because that's when my DH gets up and so does my littlest one. I try to stay in bed until 6 if I can but it depends if I can get the baby back to sleep.

My DH leaves the house by 4:40, goes to the gym from 5-6 and is at school by 6:15 or so for a 7:00 start. He's home by 3:30 many days though so that is nice!

We're all in bed by 9:00 for the most part!

Cinderelley
02-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I work nights. When I work, I wake up around 5:30pm - 6pm. Then work 7pm to 7:30 am, and go to bed around 9 - 10 am. On my days off, my schedule varies according to my kids needs - like this morning I as up at 6 am to take my son to an 8 am doctor's appointment. If I don't have anything to do though, I'll sleep until 11am. It's a killer shifting back and forth though.

kakn7294
02-11-2008, 05:05 PM
I work nights too - when I'm going out the first night, I get up in the morning at 6:30a w/ oldest DD and stay up all day, going to bed at 9a the next day and then getting up at 2:30p regardless if I work the second night or not. I generally work two 7p - 7:30a shifts back to back. If I'm off, I still have to get up at 6:30a to get oldest DD off to school, but then I get to go to bed after the late news at 11:30p - 12a.

pink
02-11-2008, 06:27 PM
I still go to school so I wake up at 7 am to leave by about 8:30 and classes til 10:30 or 2 pm. Then I work from 5-9 weeknights and 9-6 on Saturdays. :mickey:

Piglet822
02-11-2008, 09:23 PM
When we were still driving the DME buses, DBF and I would get up at 1:30 - 2:00 to be to work between 3 or 3:30.
Then we both switched to the charter board. You don't have a regular schedule - you don't even know until the day before what you're doing. We can work mornings, afternoons, or evenings. You really have to be flexible to do this but the money is very good. And it's interesting work as well.
This Wednesday I leave with one of the high school girl's Lacrosse teams for 3 days in the St Augustine/Jacksonville area.

Dracula766
02-11-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm scheduled to work from 3 - 11pm but I often end up staying past midnight, sometimes even 2 or 3am.

I have trouble going to sleep so i'm usually up til 5am. The hard part is having to get up at 7 to take my son to school :mad:

conorsmom2000
02-12-2008, 07:17 AM
I work part time, from home, which is wonderful, but can be complicated at times. I only work 4 hours per day, but they are not set hours, so it can be hard to plan your day. I am normally up around 6:15 to try and get some work in before I have to get Conor up at 7:15. We are out the door at 8:30 and I normally go into school to take care of PA stuff. I will usually come back home to work but if there isn't a lot to do, I'm stuck waiting around until they need me.

My husband is an electrician and currently a foreman so he needs to be on the job site at 6:45. What time he gets up depends on where the job is - right now he only has a 5 minute commute, so he's up around 6. The norm, though, is a 45 minute commute so he's normally up at 5:30 or so.

SBETigg
02-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Jen, I hear you on the working from home being complicated. It can be hard to actually fit in the work hours when they are on your own time and there's so much else demanding your attention!

I work from home. I hate schedules and chose a career that would enable me to keep my own time- but then I had kids, and kids work on schedules. Mine have to get up at six to get ready for school, so I get up at 5:30 am to prepare to get them up. My husband gets up at 4 am to have time to get to the gym and do some work at home before heading to the office. We usually get to bed around 11 pm. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

Diznee4Me
02-12-2008, 09:09 AM
My DW gets up at 4:00Am every morning and I try to sleep until 5:45Am. She gets off at 2:30 and I get off at 3:00. Basically we are in bed around 9:30.

The weekends we try to sleep in but usually get up early out of habit - but the weekends (and my hammock) are made for naps!:D

Ian
02-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I get up around 6AM every day and I'm normally in the office by about 7:30AM.

On a typical day, I'll stay in the office until around 4:30 or so and then leave, pick up the kids from my MIL's, and head home where I'll work for another hour or so from home.

I also work four days a week in the office and from home every Friday, which is nice.

tiggers_1
02-12-2008, 10:20 AM
I am a school bus driver and ususlly get up between 5:30 & 5:45 to be at the bus garage by 7:00 to do my pretrip. My first run (elementary & preschool) leaves at 7:35 & returns a little after 9.

My midday run I'm back at the garage by 11:15, take the am preschoolers home & pick up the pm class and get back in a little after 1:00. I go back about 2:00 to transport a middle school student, then off to the elementary & preschool. I normally return to the garage about 4:45 each evening.

BouncingTigger
02-12-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm in school and avoid the 8 a.m. classes like the plague, so my schedule is pretty nice. On Mon/Wed, I wake up at 7:30 a.m. to get to a 9:30 class. On Tues/Thurs, my first class is at 11 a.m., so I don't have to get up until 9 a.m., but I usually wake up around 8:20. It doesn't take me too long to get ready, but I usually do some homework before I leave, as well as make a cup of coffee. Even though I live only about 15 min away from campus, it takes a while to find parking in the very congested parking garages, plus I like to get to campus at least 15-20 minutes early, just in case of traffic or something (I hate being late for class!). Plus it takes a long time to walk from where the parking garages are to the main campus.

On Fri, Sat, and Sun, I sleep as long as I want! :D

FlaTinkRAMESAM
02-12-2008, 03:19 PM
I am a sub, so depending on grade level/school/distance from DD's daycare, etc. depends on when I get up. I mostly sub for high school and they start about 7:20 or so... so I am up by 5:15 in order to get me and DD ready and to her school and then to wherever I am headed that day... I HATE mornings. I would much rather just sleep in.

jillluvsdisney
02-12-2008, 07:28 PM
I start at 630am. It's about a 35 minute ride so I need to get up about 445am. That is when the weather is good. I could sleep a bit later and still make it in on time but I like being 20 minutes early. I hate feeling rushed.

Due to the bad weather this winter, I have been getting up much earlier.:mad:

By the way, I am not a morning person. I don't know how I do it. I look forward to the summer when it'll be daylight out when I leave. The upside is that I am done by 3 pm every day. This is great when the weather is nice outside.

Dakota Rose
02-12-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm a SAHM of a very busy almost-4-year-old boy. :D So, I work from son up until son down. Luckily the commute is only a flight of stairs.

Cinderelley
02-13-2008, 12:01 PM
So, I work from son up until son down.

:funny: This is so true!

mrsgaribaldi
02-13-2008, 01:37 PM
I get up at 5:15pm to be at work at 7pm. If I'm off I will stay up till maybe 11am. If I have to work the next night I try to to go to work by 9am.