PDA

View Full Version : Renting DVC points?

KAT1811
02-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Has anyone rented DVC points before? I was wondering how this worked for people that have done it before? I have lloked into it on various occasions but always ended opting for something else because I was reluctant (control issues when it comes to WDW). I was just wondering how it worked for some of you that have tried it.

The only other negative is that we would not be on the monerail line. That is a must for us on our next trip but as we are a growing family (3 DDs and #4 is in the planning stages) we will most likely be looking into both larger accomodations and the DVC in the near future.

We have stayed at the BC before, I wasn't in love with it although, I did like the proximity to Epcot.

I wish they would put a DVC on to the GF. Hopefully they will be making the big CR DVC announcement soon. That will be a huge incentive for us to buy in.

Any input at all would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

BrerGnat
02-10-2008, 11:48 PM
I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I have a question for YOU!

You say you stayed at BC before...was that in the villas? Why didn't you like it? I'm asking because we are planning a first trip with our boys (will be almost 5 and 3 at the time) for next year and our first choice is the BCV. I'd be interested in your feedback, since I assume your kids were around that age when you stayed there ???

Anyway, I would have a hard time renting points as well. Unfortunately for us, we NEED the ability to cancel our trips last minute if necessary. DH is military, and sometimes, stuff doesn't work out with time off the way we thought it was going to. Also, I would have a hard time losing the daily mousekeeping. It's the little things like that, I guess.

Anyway, it's pretty much been all but confirmed that the Contemporary project is a DVC (or a mixed use), so you have that to look forward to!

DVC Mike
02-11-2008, 07:26 AM
You can certainly save a lot of money on great accommodations in a “Disney Deluxe Villa Resort” (Disney Vacation Club) by renting a reservation direct from a DVC member rather than making the reservation with WDW reservations (aka CRO).

However, please be sure and educate yourself on how a DVC reservation is very different from a regular hotel reservation, and the basics of “renting points”, as it is often referred to.

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122549 (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122549)

BelleCiavo
02-11-2008, 09:11 AM
I've rented points from a well known Disney forum a couple of times, I just make sure I rent from someone with a lot of posts, helps put me at ease. :mickey: Never had a problem, even in 2004 when Hurricane Frances delayed our trip, the member switched the ressie for us no problem.

KAT1811
02-11-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I have a question for YOU!

You say you stayed at BC before...was that in the villas? Why didn't you like it? I'm asking because we are planning a first trip with our boys (will be almost 5 and 3 at the time) for next year and our first choice is the BCV. I'd be interested in your feedback, since I assume your kids were around that age when you stayed there ???

We had only one DD when we stayed there and she was 7 at the time. We chose to stay at the BC (not in the villas) mainly for the pool :diver:. Why the pool is fabulous we did not spend enough time there to justify it as a deciding factor in choosing a resort (I call it a learning experience) I did like the proximity to Epcot, it was nice to be able to walk :walk: there. In hindsight I would have stayed at one of the MK resorts.

I did not care for the resort layout. I found it confusing and spread out. On our last trip we stayed at CS and although the resort is very spread out I could walk out my door and either hop on a bus :drive: or hop onto the shuttle to take me to El Centro. I did not care for the "standing" balconies the BC has. When we first checked in (Sept. 11th, 2003 still a very quiet time, the resort was not even close to full) they stuck us in a room with a standing balcony. When I went back down to the front desk they moved us (after we has settled in, it did not immediatly occur to me to request a move). I was a bit disappointed with the dining options. We ate quite a bit at Beaches & Cream and I swore by the end of the trip it would be a very long time before I ate both ice cream or a burger. There are a ton of nice dining options (especially if you walk over to the Boardwalk) but I like a food court type eatery at my resort, I rather dine in the parks(one of the reasons we liked the moderates so much). After a long day in the parks sometimes (more often now with 3 DDs 11, 3, & 1) we like to grab a quick bite :bolt: and then take everyone back to the room (baths and bed); sometimes we split up, I will leave as soon as the younger ones have finished. More formal sit down eateries are rarely conducive to such activities. They had this little nook where you could get little bites but there was nowhere to sit and eat them. I do not think that it was any one main reason I did not care for the BC just a lot of little reasons, it just did not feel as warm and cozy as CS does to us, I love walking out of my room and into the sun :sun: not winding down endless hallways trying to find the lobby. Many people here like it, unfortunatly it just wasn't for us.

Also, I would have a hard time losing the daily mousekeeping. It's the little things like that, I guess.

No mousekeeping? Oh that won't do! I am on strike when we are on vacation!!!! :humph: :laundry: :dishes: Who cleans and makes the beds in the DVCs?

BrerGnat
02-11-2008, 07:06 PM
No mousekeeping? Oh that won't do! I am on strike when we are on vacation!!!! :humph: :laundry: :dishes: Who cleans and makes the beds in the DVCs?

Thanks for your feedback! Every little bit helps in making that all important decision. Right now, for us, Epcot is #1, and we plan to spend a LOT of time there (our boys are Disneyland spoiled, so we are not focusing too much time at MK when we go to WDW...we want the boys to experience Epcot and AK and DHS, mainly, much more so than MK, which is "all too familiar"...they go to Disneyland about once a week).

Anyway, when you reserve a DVC property through Disney, you get DAILY mousekeeping. If you rent points and/or are a DVC member, you get a "trash and towel" day on day 4 and a full cleaning on, like day 7 or 8 or something. You can pay for daily mousekeeping, but it's like $45/day extra. So, if you need daily mousekeeping (I do), then you have to factor that additional cost into the amount you will "save" by renting. You still will save in the long run with renting, though.