PDA

View Full Version : Band that could replace Aerosmith for RNRC?

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Since we have the worst band thread I thought we need one with who could replace them.

I was think Red Hot Chili Peppers would be great. Besides they did something for California Adventure.

MarkC
02-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Belle, I appreciate your thoughts but I'm guessing a large percentage of people haven't heard of them, and if so can't name any of their songs (I'm age 48 and in the latter group). If not Aerosmith, it would need to be the Beatles, Stones, Zepplin, or AC/DC. But I'm sure you'll get some good responses to this post. Have fun.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Belle, I appreciate your thoughts but I'm guessing a large percentage of people haven't heard of them, and if so can't name any of their songs (I'm age 48 and in the latter group). If not Aerosmith, it would need to be the Beatles, Stones, Zepplin, or AC/DC. But I'm sure you'll get some good responses to this post. Have fun.

In the early 90's they redid Stevie Wonders "Higher Ground" and they had a huge hit with "Under the Bridge" in 91 I think. They are played on Top 40 and rock stations. You might know them if you heard them.

KISS or Van Halen would be good too.

DisneyDD2
02-10-2008, 04:32 PM
I really like the Aerosmith sound. But if a group had to replace them what about Guns 'n Roses or Metallica for something a little darker, or VanHalen for something a little lighter?

Do these groups date me?

KAT1811
02-10-2008, 04:38 PM
. . .who could replace them.

I LOVE Aerosmith in this particular attraction. Their sound is very energizing yet not too obnixious, it really gets your heart pumping. I also like AC/DC and some of the other bands mentioned but could see how many people would be turned off by their sounds. I also do not think I would get the same reaction with some of the other sounds. You would hace to play their most popular songs for it to be effective. I think Aerosmith are a very "family friendly" band sound wise.

playdead88
02-10-2008, 04:42 PM
i have agree with led zepplin - that would cover most generations and it would be a band known the world over

dumbo_buddy
02-10-2008, 05:05 PM
THE ROLLING STONES!!!:rocker:

Jimenyfan
02-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I could definetly see AC/DC for this attraction.

Emsparents
02-10-2008, 05:11 PM
The greatest rock band of the 80's
Def Leppard!!!!

dumbo ears
02-10-2008, 05:12 PM
I think aerosmith is good for now but they should start looking for bands now that could have classic songs in a few years that are out now and use a band from now but dont put them in for a few years.

SBETigg
02-10-2008, 05:18 PM
I hate to say it, because I'm not a fan, but I think Bon Jovi is the ideal replacement at this point. They're the all-American rock band with big success and recognizable tunes. A little on the pop side, but then so is Aerosmith in the later years.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I really like the Aerosmith sound. But if a group had to replace them what about Guns 'n Roses or Metallica for something a little darker, or VanHalen for something a little lighter?

Do these groups date me?

I don't think so. I forgot about GNR but that would be good too. Unfortunately Axl is so crazy that the band probably couldn't get together to do the pre-show.

Walt Lucas
02-10-2008, 05:48 PM
it's very difficult to please everyone, especially when you're talking about music. I have to agree tha if you were to replace Aerosmith, it would have to be with a mulit generational band like the rolling stones or the beatles. you know, Kiss is always looking to make some extra money :blush:

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Gene Simmons is good at that!:yes:

scoot241
02-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Here's a few I'd pick...

Queen
Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
AC/DC
Metallica
Pearl Jam
Guns N' Roses
Van Halen

Out of these, I doubt Pearl Jam would do it. It would be tough to get GNR and Pink Floyd together to do the preshow. Both Queen and Led Zeppelin have deceased original members. Metallica, AC/DC, the Rolling Stones and Van Halen would be the best bets out of this list.

I'm perfectly fine with Aerosmith, though.

Dakota Rose
02-10-2008, 06:34 PM
I was going to say the Stones b/c they're pretty timeless. I don't think the Beatles would be a good fit at all. They're a little too pop sounding for that ride.

Jeff
02-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Classic yet contemporary and still churning out hits. A prominent front man. Great reputation.

There can be only one answer..........

U2

Although, I don't see the need to replace Aerosmith.

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
02-10-2008, 06:42 PM
It should stay Aerosmith, they are perfect!
Other bands really don't work..there music work for a rollercoaster but think about the rest, the name of the ride, the pre-show

Rock'nrollerCoaster starring: Led Zeppelin
Rock'nrollerCoaster starring: Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rock'nrollerCoaster starring: The Beatles
Rock'nrollerCoaster starring: Elvis

I just don't think the bands work

Two band I would see working is R.E.M. or U2

kakn7294
02-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't want to see Aerosmith replaced - I think they're perfect! Even my kids like them.

DizneyFreak2002
02-10-2008, 07:12 PM
There is only one choice, and it fits with Disney synergy.... HANNAH MONTANA!!! :ack:

DisFan01
02-10-2008, 07:13 PM
I could definetly see AC/DC for this attraction.

So sould I! :mickey:

CleveSJM
02-10-2008, 07:43 PM
In the early 90's they redid Stevie Wonders "Higher Ground" and they had a huge hit with "Under the Bridge" in 91 I think. They are played on Top 40 and rock stations. You might know them if you heard them.

KISS or Van Halen would be good too.

Don't forget the best remake, "Rollercoaster of Love". RHCP would be awesome. And more contemporary.

Aerosmith is perfect though. No need to replace them this decade.

Altair
02-10-2008, 07:44 PM
There is only one choice, and it fits with Disney synergy.... HANNAH MONTANA!!! :ack:

Don't put it past the Disney Imagineers to go this route.:(

CleveSJM
02-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Don't put it past the Disney Imagineers to go this route.:(

Ha. Not HM, but maybe The Jonas Brothers (Disney Hard Rock)...

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Don't forget the best remake, "Rollercoaster of Love". RHCP would be awesome. And more contemporary.

Aerosmith is perfect though. No need to replace them this decade.

I agree! There is no reason to replace them.

"Rollercoaster of Love" I didn't think of that but that would be perfect.

CU Tiger
02-10-2008, 08:54 PM
It is hard to imagine replacing Aerosmith for RnR. :confused: The replacement band would have to match up to Aerosmith. They are still around, they have the original members, they have songs that many different age groups know, and they are a class act. Of the bands mentioned, I can not think of one that meets all of these in my opinion.:twocents: I am not even sure who I would suggest.:mickey:

Timekeeper
02-10-2008, 08:58 PM
I think Pearl Jam may be a good band to replace them. They have songs like "Animal" and "Rearviewmirror". I personally think Aerosmith is awesome and like perfect for this attraction now. :mickey:

Mikey Piano 23
02-11-2008, 01:41 AM
Awesome post!:thumbsup:

Even though I answered this in the other post here are my thoughts:

If we are going rock I would say:

Dream Theater--Progressive Metal (There needs to be at least one other person on Intercot that has heard of Dream Theater!!) :D

Metallica
Jimi Hendrix
Or even just a classic rock theme (Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Zeppelin, Stevie Ray Vaughn)

Or if you wanna go another route:
Stevie Wonder
Charlie Parker
Herbie Hancock
Chick Corea
Bud Powell

(Can you tell I am a jazz piano player? hehehe):cool:

GINNY69
02-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Without a doubt I am going to have to say Bon Jovi !!!:)

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
02-11-2008, 06:56 AM
If we are going rock I would say:

Dream Theater--Progressive Metal (There needs to be at least one other person on Intercot that has heard of Dream Theater!!)

Metallica
Jimi Hendrix
Or even just a classic rock theme (Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Zeppelin, Stevie Ray Vaughn)

Or if you wanna go another route:
Stevie Wonder
Charlie Parker
Herbie Hancock
Chick Corea
Bud Powell

(Can you tell I am a jazz piano player? hehehe)

Those bands are all great,as are many others people have said, but can you really imagine a Jimi Hendrix/Beatles/Herbie Hancock based rollercoasters? Would be amazingly weird going 55 mph hearing a jazz song :D

Like I said before, the pre-show has to work too and Aerosmith has that every-man appeal that Metallica and certainly Jimi Hendrix does not have. And especially Dream Theater (which I do indeed know, they are fantastic! Saw them on a rock festival in Holland once) but again, they just won't do :)

I mean I am a huge fan of Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and Led Zeppelin but would not want a themed ride featuring them ;)

I still think Kiss, U2 and R.E.M. are the best choices but the best is still Aerosmith

RAIDER
02-11-2008, 07:57 AM
It has to be Mr Springsteen for me :number1:

But Guns and Roses or Rainbow if you were to follow the Aerosmith theme would be good

DISNEYFIX
02-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Classic yet contemporary and still churning out hits. A prominent front man. Great reputation.

There can be only one answer..........

U2

Although, I don't see the need to replace Aerosmith.

Me too!

BigRedDad
02-11-2008, 09:31 AM
For me, it would have to be a thrill band. you could not have some sissy music like jazz, orchestral, or some other froofroo music. It has to be hard, fast and energetic. Metallica would be a good choice, but not as well respected by most. I could hear people screaming and complaining about Leper Messiah, Disposable Heroes, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Welcome Home. Personally, if they were to change it, they would have to do a bunch of different groups. I don't think there is another band that would fit it alone.

Altair
02-11-2008, 09:42 AM
The Prince of Darkness - Ozzy.:bat:

DisneyDog
02-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Ozzy's Crazytrain would work!

Mikey Piano 23
02-11-2008, 01:15 PM
For me, it would have to be a thrill band. you could not have some sissy music like jazz, orchestral, or some other froofroo music. It has to be hard, fast and energetic. Metallica would be a good choice, but not as well respected by most. I could hear people screaming and complaining about Leper Messiah, Disposable Heroes, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Welcome Home. Personally, if they were to change it, they would have to do a bunch of different groups. I don't think there is another band that would fit it alone.

"Sissy Music" Go check out Charlie Parker and tell me if its not fast aggressive music. I am a fan of all genres especially metal and jazz...there is nothing "froofroo" about Charlie Parker or Bud Powell. Listen to them before you knock it.

BigRedDad
02-11-2008, 01:29 PM
I just listened to samples from both of those guys. Great musicians and great music. However, for a thrill coaster, they are far from appropriate. They would be great on the Boardwalk, POR and POFQ. But RnRC? No way. I would compare it to something like listening to Ave Maria while doing the Richard Petty Driving Experience.

NJ Camper
02-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Here's a thought what if they used a few artist maybe changed week to week or day to day then they wouldn't have to get to crazy redoing the ride i hope i love the ride but this could give it a new twist what does everyone think of this??????

Marker
02-11-2008, 01:47 PM
I was think Red Hot Chili Peppers would be great. Besides they did something for California Adventure.

Oh yeah, and then when we get to see the clip of the band on stage, you could have a shot of the Chili Peppers wearing their tube socks, that would be a nice family friendly image.

A lot of folks are mentioning bands that are long defunct, dismembered, faded away or even dead. If they ever had to replace Aerosmith, I'd have to think they'd want something that was more current and contemporary. I'd also like to think they'd pick an American band as well.

Aerosmith has a wide audience age range, from back in the 70s up to today, they're still filling arenas and they have a fairly clean image. Definitely a tough act to follow for this purpose.

But if I were to break my own guideline of being current..... How about The Blues Brothers? or Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers? (they're at least still touring)

NJ Camper
02-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Of course they would have to consider the bands appearance and watch the lyrics it is disney and suppose to be a family atomsphere

Altair
02-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Of course they would have to consider the bands appearance and watch the lyrics it is disney and suppose to be a family atomsphere

There are Aerosmith song titles that would get deleted if I posted them here.:eek:

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Oh yeah, and then when we get to see the clip of the band on stage, you could have a shot of the Chili Peppers wearing their tube socks, that would be a nice family friendly image.

Actually California Adventure had 2 rides last year that they temporarily had the Chili Peppers featured on so......Disney doesn't have a problem with the bands image.

Mackflava99
02-11-2008, 03:35 PM
I think its moot to think the'd change the group at this time, Aerosmith is still fairly popular and transcends many generations - They are a so called "super group" which is a club that does not have alot of members ..( Beatles, Stones, Who,Sabbath,,) People know these bands, people of many different age groups and cultures.

I imagine disney spent alot of time determining who would be a good fit. There was definitely some critirea to follow...

They determined GWAR, NWA, Sex pistols, The 2-Live Crew, Twisted sister,E.G. Allen, The Butt Hole surfers and Amy Winehouse were not family oriented enough

Bands like RHCP are good but kind of stopped at a certain generation.

Springsteen and bon jovi are no way near as popular , plus they are way too pop-like . Bruce is too political and BJ is too glam for a ride of this caliber.

Kiss would be funny but not sure if they would fit the mold. Nor would Parliment Funkadelic...

I think they should just incorporate RUN DMC with Aerosmith to make it have more cross-appeal.

Patti
02-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Steve Miller Band..."Fly Like an Eagle"

McLiberal8
02-11-2008, 04:09 PM
I may be a little too young, but a few of the bands named (Van Halen, The Who, etc) I have never heard any of thier songs.. :blush:

I agree a band that transends generations would be needed. Aerosmith is GREAT, but so far, U2 or The Beatles would be amazing. I would also love Billy Joel!!

Although, another idea Disney could cash on would be a generational music festival. Everytime your ride goes through a different generation, the defining music from that era is played in your ears.. that would please most people!

Personally, I would dream of the day Kanye West gets a ride as amazing as RNRC. A girl can dream.. :cloud9:

ravsluvdisney
02-11-2008, 04:31 PM
I think Aerosmith still works well with the ride. If I were to make a change I would scrap the "one band" theory and go to a more general R-n-R theme with music from a number of bands. More great bands to choose from, more great songs to listen to....and the same intense 50 second limo ride!!

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-11-2008, 09:08 PM
I may be a little too young, but a few of the bands named (Van Halen, The Who, etc) I have never heard any of thier songs.. :blush:

Both of these bands are Rock n Roll Hall of Famers. The TV show CSI...all 3 of them...the theme songs are The Who. Have you ever heard the song "jump"? That's Van Halen.

PirateLover
02-11-2008, 11:34 PM

Oh, I see, and Aerosmith were always a squeaky clean band from day one and they don't have any sexual suggestive songs or history of questionable activity. PUH-LEASE. RHCP haven't done the sock thing probably in well over a decade. Just like Aerosmith, they've grown up and cleaned up.

That being said I think Aerosmith is just the perfect choice and there's no need to change.

KAT1811
02-12-2008, 10:23 AM
I think they should just incorporate RUN DMC with Aerosmith to make it have more cross-appeal.

I like it!!! Nice way to add some new flavor to the ride without any dramatic change. I too think that Aerosmith is the perfect band for this ride at this time. Maybe add this in and switch the pre show from time to time to coincide with the music that will be playing when that particular group is on the coaster.

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
02-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Does anyone know the band The Darkness? They are from England and I have to admit, they would be great for a RNRC if only they were bigger than they are now (I think they just broke up the band too :( )

WDW1985
02-12-2008, 10:44 AM
What about a Wayne Newton??? We could turn Sunset Blvd into the vegas strip!!! :ack:

wdw1985
:mickey:

lightyearfan
02-12-2008, 01:04 PM
i think that this ride would be much better with the greatest rock N roll band in the world and that would be KISS!! that ride with a KISS theme would have been perfect.

Victor

Von-Drake
02-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Without Question. It should stay Aerosmith!

WDW24
02-13-2008, 03:29 PM
BON JOVI!

It would be excellent. Bon Jovi would be perfect.:number1::sing:

SBETigg
02-13-2008, 03:51 PM
The problem with U2 and the Beatles (and the Who and Def Leppard, etc) is that they are not the great American Rock bands, as great as they are. Does that matter? I don't know. On the plus side, maybe a British band would give the ride a really different feel. They could go with a Brit invasion theme and give us the Beatles, the Stones, etc.

The problem with Van Halen is which version to go with? Obviously, I would go with the David Lee Roth version but they could break up again and then what? The band hasn't shown enough unity for RnRC. KISS is too potentially scary for younger kids.

Bon Jovi is no more pop-driven than Aerosmith has been in the past twenty years, and they do have the cross-generational appeal and share the same urban American rock n roll roots (Boston for Aerosmith, NJ for Bon Jovi). But-- I can't imagine they will be any more vital than Aerosmith any time soon, so why change? Aerosmith can stay for a long time.