PDA

View Full Version : Ride Scents

DisFan01
02-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Okay...I know something like this was posted before, but not specific for the WDW Rides.

Here is a list of rides that just smell like Disney:

- Rainforest Cafe (the water I think)
- Dinosaur (entire ride + second waiting area)
- Mission: SPACE (inside capsule)
- Soarin' (all scents)
- Indy Speedway (fumes)
- Living w/ the Land (water smell...again)

Any others you can think of? :D

century3
02-08-2008, 06:36 PM
I love the orange smell in Soarin'. Ever since I first smelled the orange smell in Horizons, that scent has always had some sort of connection to WDW in my eyes. (or would that be nose?)

snerd475
02-08-2008, 06:45 PM
The Maelstrom - it has such a humid scent, inside that closed-in, claustrophobia-inducing wait line area. The ride is great, but I will never wait more than 5 minutes in that line.

wendy*darling
02-08-2008, 08:56 PM
I like the evergreen scent in Soarin'.

And the smell of Rome burning in Spaceship Earth.

Walt Lucas
02-08-2008, 09:06 PM
POTC always has a smell to it. not a bad one, but just a smell

CaptainJessicaSparrow
02-09-2008, 12:42 AM
You know, I found this experience to be a bit interesting.

I was riding Soarin with some friends and it was the scene where you go over the river and the rafting.

A woman next to me went "Oh, how gross...that smell is disgusting!"

I turned and looked at her with my eyebrow raised and said, "Uh, yeah, that's what the outdoors smells like."

I love the orange scent too.

Cindy'smom
02-09-2008, 08:21 AM
How about the monorail smell? Do I love it? I wouldn't say that. But I know I'm at Disney then!:mickey:

PhilHarHarMagic
02-09-2008, 10:13 AM
How about the creosote smell on the train (specifically around the train station in Frontier Land).

My DW is in the same room with me - she says she like the smells in the stores that have the soaps and things (I don't think there is a soap ride though :-)

That is a difference isn't it???

(In 5 weeks from right now I'll be experiencing those smells!)

#1donaldfan
02-09-2008, 10:38 AM
What about TOT when your car gets to the shaft? You get the blast of heat / hot air with the outdoor sorta smell....????

KRR has the water smells plus the fumes from the fires.......

mgmnut
02-09-2008, 10:50 AM
The smells are a big part of what makes Disney different from all the rest. I know other parks use smells for ride experience but I think Disney did it first. I love the Burning Smell when the Carribean town is burning in POTC. The one smell I can not handle...........The chilli dogs in Stitch. It makes me nausious and stays with you for the rest of the day.

playdead88
02-09-2008, 10:57 AM
main street first thing in the a.m - you can smell the flowers right after they have been watered - with a mix of a candy/bakery scent - if they could bottle it i would so buy it - i love the smell of main street! :cloud9:

TheRustyScupper
02-09-2008, 11:17 AM
1) The sense of smell is positively huge.
2) It triggers more intense memory recognitions than any other sense.
3) When done right, it is a VITAL part of a ride or attraction.
4) And can truly heighten the experience.
5) After all, it is one of the six senses
. . . touch
. . . taste
. . . smell
. . . sight
. . . hearing
. . . thinner wallet after WDW vacation

grumpyguy
02-09-2008, 11:43 AM
i believe that our sense of smell is the most linked to our memories.makes perfect sense
that smell is utilized by disney extensively.
how 'bout the smell lab at figment?
also,crazy as it sounds when i smell "diesel"
fumes first thing that comes to mind is the disney buses:D and then i actually don't mind the smell:thumbsup:

#1donaldfan
02-09-2008, 11:49 AM
I never really thought about it till now, but smells are at the height of memory. Someone mentioned disel fuel.....that with JP4 reminds me of the air force......and that was a long, long time ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

laward32
02-09-2008, 11:59 AM
main street first thing in the a.m - you can smell the flowers right after they have been watered - with a mix of a candy/bakery scent - if they could bottle it i would so buy it - i love the smell of main street! :cloud9:
I think this is also my favorite smell too. All the smells of them getting everything ready for us guests.:mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Every ride that contains water smells of Disney. POTC, Maelstrom, Small World, etc. When I think Disney....that is the smell that I think of. I love that smell. It is one of my favorite smells.

d_m_n_n
02-09-2008, 04:32 PM
:cloud9: The smell of the ocean on Soarin' (actually all the scents on Soarin') is my favorite. At Basin I bought a slice of Ocean Mist so I can go to my happy place any time I need to!

Coleby
02-09-2008, 07:53 PM
you know it's kind of funny. I love the disney smells, and everything, but unless it is associated with a ride, I can't place it.

One time I was at a store and I turned to my mom and said, "I smell Disney", she just kind of looked oddly at me. I know she gets it, but I think she was giving me a hard time.

elmjimmlm
02-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Mickeys Philharmagic...The smell of the entire show...LOVE IT...The Disney water smell, cinnamon, even the air had a "Disney smell"...

WDWFREAK101
02-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Is it just me or does somebody smells something when they go to The Haunted Mansion? It isn't a bad smell or a good smell it is just a smell that you recognize when you get inside.

terri110874
02-10-2008, 07:58 AM
The smell I can remember is on Stitch's Great Escape. Not that a chili dog smells great. :sick: But that sticks out in my mind.

disneydeb
02-10-2008, 08:20 AM
The scents in Soarin' are terrific! Orange grove, snowy pine forest and sea air are all wonderful :thumbsup:

Don't forget that stale water smell in IASW & POC :D

DrWorm2008
02-10-2008, 09:07 AM
I can't BELIEVE nobody mentioned HORIZONS!:mickey: It always smelled like oranges! Then when you got to the desert scene (where they are actually growing oranges) it was SO strong and wonderful! :thumbsup:
I agree that the smell of the monorails is a nice one, too- especially when you get inside after a particularly HOT afternoon, and you are greeted by the smell and COLD air conditioning of those blessed transports! Ahhhhhhhh......:cloud9:
I also agree that any boat ride has a nice smell.
Lastly, two smells that REALLY grab me are the Land pavilion (I used to work there-it smells like my second home) and the Mexico pavilion. It takes me back EVERY time. :cloud9:
GREAT POST! So Nostalgic!

DigitalDaredevil
02-10-2008, 10:52 AM
I like how the POTC Queue has that musty smell. Adds to the experience by far.
Another scent I enjoy is the air freshener used in some of the restrooms. I looked at it and it is called Mandarin Burst. I would love to have that scent in my car or at home.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Is it just me or does somebody smells something when they go to The Haunted Mansion? It isn't a bad smell or a good smell it is just a smell that you recognize when you get inside.

Yes! I like the smell but I don't know what it is.

johnfunkwriter
02-10-2008, 04:57 PM
No one's mentioned the brimstone smell on Spaceship Earth...

:)

Is that scene still included with the refit????

CU Tiger
02-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Every time someone mentions a smell and Disney, I always think of Mickey’s Philharmagic and mostly its’ apple pie:eat:. I actually found this smell on an air freshener that goes on your an air-conditioner’s air filter. Now my house smells like this!:mickey:

DisneyDD2
02-11-2008, 12:45 PM
I love the orange smell in Soarin'. Ever since I first smelled the orange smell in Horizons, that scent has always had some sort of connection to WDW in my eyes. (or would that be nose?)

I forgot about the orange smell from Horizons, that was a great scent. Thanks for reminding me. And Soarin' is such a great ride for combining so many experiences- smell, sight, sound, movement. I love it!

EPCOTcoffeegirl
02-11-2008, 02:46 PM
A few years back, before Soarin was built at EPCOT, I went to Disneyland for the first time.

The VERY first thing we road was SoC, and when we "passed over" the orange groves, and I smelled that orange smell--I literally BURST into tears! Horizons was one of my favorites as a kid. Thankfully my two fellow park attendees were ex CMs and forever disney lovers like myself, and didn't hide under the seat when I started sniveling :laughs:

I'm so glad Soarin is at EPCOT now, I can revisit a past scent and enjoy an amazing new attraction.

Also a scent that I loved but is no more...the "mr bubble" like scent in the original JII ride!!! :sniffles: I miss you Dreamfinder

mouselover93
02-11-2008, 07:05 PM
i like the smell of big thunder mountain and splash mountain they just have the humid scent and the tower of terror idont know what it is just like the smell of problay fear,adrenaline ( weird i know ) and then occasionaly a weird oil or dust smell.:mickey:

PinKy
02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
I love the dusty smell of the Haunted Mansion.

also - its not a ride, but the "ketchup" smell from the quick service restaurants always reminds me of Disney.
(especially Cosmic Rays)

DisFan01
02-12-2008, 02:13 PM
No one's mentioned the brimstone smell on Spaceship Earth...

:)

Is that scene still included with the refit????

Yes! That scent is still included with the refurb. I also noticed a new scent in the loading area that smells like chemicals (to me)... :thumbsup:

I love the dusty smell of the Haunted Mansion.

also - its not a ride, but the "ketchup" smell from the quick service restaurants always reminds me of Disney.
(especially Cosmic Rays)

I know! This smell always reminds me of Disney... :cloud9:

Walt Lucas
02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
i also like the smell in UoE, that swamp/volcanic smell, or is it dinosaur droppings? either way, i think it's cool