PDA

View Full Version : AK- not the big Attractions?

RoosMomKanga
02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Is Conservation Station worth visiting without kids? I see there's a petting/"Affection Section", and also "Habitat, Habitat"- Don't know what this is, and it's not on Intercot under Theme Parks (shows up on Disney map). Is it worth the train ride out there?

Can't find much info. on these other things either. What other trails/animals are worth seeing (besides the Safari)? Cretaceous Trail? Maharajah Jungle Trek? Pangani Forest Exploration Trail? Oasis Exhibits? Discovery Island Trails? Safari Village Trail? We love plants/animals, but don't have much time.

How about the fossil things in Dinoland- Dino-Sue, Dinosaur Jubilee, & Fossil prep Lab?

Thanks!

dac921
02-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Is Conservation Station worth visiting without kids? I see there's a petting/"Affection Section", and also "Habitat, Habitat"- Don't know what this is, and it's not on Intercot under Theme Parks (shows up on Disney map). Is it worth the train ride out there?

Can't find much info. on these other things either. What other trails/animals are worth seeing (besides the Safari)? Cretaceous Trail? Maharajah Jungle Trek? Pangani Forest Exploration Trail? Oasis Exhibits? Discovery Island Trails? We love plants/animals, but don't have much time.

How about the fossil things in Dinoland- Dino-Sue, Dinosaur Jubilee, & Fossil prep Lab?

Thanks!
I enjoy the conversation station and have done it by myself in the past... the fossil things in Dinoland I usually pass up.

Even my girls don't want to do them

Brer Mickey
02-07-2008, 11:56 AM
The Pangani Forest Exploration Trail and the Maharajah Jungle Trek are definately worth doing even without kids. You didn't mention Flights of Wonder show, but if you have not seen that be sure to catch it on your next trip too!

baby minnie's mommy
02-07-2008, 12:23 PM
You say you don't have much time, so I would skip the train ride to Conservation Station. At the affection section you can pet and brush goats, and there are some other basic farm type animals. The inside part is neat. It has displays to look at and handlers with live animals/reptiles appearing. (Not sure what they bring out.) The train ride is neat, and gives a look at the animal housing buildings behind the scenes. (Not close-up, though.) It's worth a trip on a day that you have extra time.

I would do the Maharajah Trek and Pangani Trail. They are two of my favorite things at AK after the Safari! Both are set trails with a start and finish, but unlike the train ride if you run short on time you can just hurry and walk through to the end.

ThanxForNoticin
02-07-2008, 12:29 PM
You say you don't have much time, so I would skip the train ride to Conservation Station.

I would do the Maharajah Trek and Pangani Trail. They are two of my favorite things at AK after the Safari! Both are set trails with a start and finish, but unlike the train ride if you run short on time you can just hurry and walk through to the end.

I agree with this recommendation. If you are tight for time, enjoy the gorillas and tigers, and save Conservation Station for a trip you have more time. I would also plan to skip the Dino-Land areas you asked about. Have a great time!

BouncingTigger
02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
My bf and I enjoyed Conservation Station. We saw a lot of little animals inside as well as a little bird undergoing surgery (he was going to be okay!). We liked petting the animals in the Affection Section - we got some cute pics of us with the animals!

We loved the Maharajah Jungle Trek and Pangani Forest Exploration Trail. Lots of cool animals and their homes are so well done - very pretty.

I agree that Flights of Wonder is a very cool show. Definitely check it out!

We skipped the fossil stuff - it didn't really seem interesting.

ltam16
02-07-2008, 01:57 PM
My kids ages 6 & 8 enjoyed it in August. They liked the petting zoo. They watched an animal have a dental exam, which they found fascinating! And they got to see Pocohantas & Jiminy Cricket. Actually, I waited on line and got the autographs in their books because they did not want to miss any of the dental exam! They also enjoyed seeing a snake & reptile talk with live animals! We stayed there quite a bit. They really are looking forward to going back in April. It is tops on their list.

broadway_chick72
02-07-2008, 02:12 PM
I went to a few of those and didn't love them, and I'm 14. They're nice to see if you're waiting for your fast pass time to come or you don't want to stand in line for Expedition Everest. That's what we did while waiting for Kali River Rapids.

PinKy
02-07-2008, 02:15 PM
I would say that the affection section is a do not miss attraction.... but that is just me.

Also - the Flights of Wonder is a great show and I believe tucked around somewhere near the park entrance.... there is a fabulous old old OLD tortoise that is wonderful to watch.

The fossil section might be more interesting if you are interested in the science of natural history. The dinosaur that they have "on display" there is a copy of "Sue" the most complete and best preserved T. Rex ever found. The original skeleton is in the Field Museum in Chicago. If your kids really like dinos you might check out the field museum website for some fun facts and trivia to learn before you go.

Have fun!

Meghan
02-07-2008, 04:23 PM
I really enjoy Conservation Station. The walk from the train station to the main building is where the Habitat Habitat exibits are up. There's some cool displays about how to make your backyard welcoming to animals. Bat boxes, animal feeders, etc. Theres also an area with the cutest, tiniest monkeys I've ever seen. I adore these monkeys.

Inside there's a lot of fun stuff to do. Sound of the Rainforest is an audio show. It's a little bit like Sounds Dangerous, except it's actually enjoyable. :blush: Usually there's a character or 2 out (usually with short or non existent lines). Along one of the side walls is a video about endangered species in the wild (kind of sad, but told in a positive way). Here you can also observe medical procedures on the animals if there are any taking place. Usually these happen in the morning. Finally, there are exibits about snakes, bugs, butterflys etc.

Outside is Affection Section, aka the petting zoo. Kind of dorky, but kind of fun.

Also, if you're into finding Hidden Mickey's, the whole area of Rafiki's Planet Watch is a goldmine. They seem to be everywhere.

On the train ride out to the area you get a pretty good view of the backstage White Rhino and Elephant barns. Sometimes if there's a new baby you can see it from the train before it's ever released out onto the savannah.

All in all, I recommend it, because I really like it. But others don't, so it really depends on your personal interests.