PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Yeti??

jaredkari
02-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Does anyone else think that on EE you go by the Yeti too quickly?? I mean I understand that it is a roller coaster and is supposed to be fast, but as much work and technology went into creating it you would think they would slow you down a bit to get a good look at it?? Don't get me wrong I still think it is a great ride.

Also I was wondering has anybody gotten a good picture of the Yeti. I tried on my last trip but it didn't turn out all that great. Thanks :mickey:

DisneyDD2
02-07-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm going to agree with you. EE is a fantastic ride. But I, too, would like to see a little more of the Yeti, or as my DS 6 calls him- the Eddy.

TBY2225
02-07-2008, 09:12 AM
The first few times I rode E:E, I also had issues with not seeing the Yeti. I guess after you ride it a while, you really start to know when and where to look. I noticed things I hadn't before. My DH tried to both take pictures and also a video. Neither one turned out to well!

poeticeclipse
02-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Ya know, i've thought about this before. I remember riding for the first time and thinking "hey, I wanna see him again because I kind of missed him!"

Then I remembered that it scared me a little.

mook3y
02-07-2008, 09:54 AM
I actually got really lucky last September. Just prior to our trip, I bought a new digital camera, getting one with a very fast shutter response time.

Well, I just held up my camera and pushed the button as I went under the yeti and got a very sharp picture of it's face and one hand outstretched. More of a close-up shot, not the whole body, but it came out really good.

If you PM me, I will e-mail you a copy this weekend.

Ian
02-07-2008, 10:15 AM
It's funny you say this, because yeah ... this is one of my pet peeves.

I remember before the ride hearing so much about how great this yeti AA was gonna be and how realistic and scary it was and how it was the largest they've ever created and all that.

Well all that is definitely true. It is a very impressive piece of Imagineering.

But you blow by it and barely even get to catch a glimpse of it! I mean maybe that's intentional. It is, after all, a mythical creature that people normally report "just catching a quick glimpse of ... "

Even so, though. It would be nice to see it for a bit longer so you could appreciate all that hard work.

Strmchsr
02-07-2008, 10:44 AM
But you blow by it and barely even get to catch a glimpse of it! I mean maybe that's intentional. It is, after all, a mythical creature that people normally report "just catching a quick glimpse of ... "

You got it exactly Ian. When I was speaking with an Imaingeer about that back in November he told me that they felt the Yeti would lose much of its impact and mystery if seen for too long. It's supposed to be a brief glimpse that leaves you wanting more. No matter how good an AA is (and the Yeti is very good) exposure for too long takes away the magic (no one's ever thought for even a minute that the Pirates on POTC were real, but the Yeti for that brief second can almost make you believe).

WDWFREAK101
02-16-2008, 09:25 PM
I think that you are given the perfect amount of Yeti on that ride. It adds the suspense by hearing the roar of the yeti and watching the shadow on the wall and then finally seeing the thing up close. Plus the thing is probably the most realistic animatronic ever made! I LOVE this ride, i go on this thing at least 10 times each trip and i STILL get goosebumps when i see it. If you see the Yeti up an close right at the start it ruins the effect. You don't know what this thing looks like so if you think it looks cute and cuddly then when you hear the roar and watch the shadow you don't feel scared or anything. You just wait untill it is over and on to the next thing because you know he won't harm you. If you don't see him untill the end then like i said it adds to the suspense.

disneylovinmom
02-16-2008, 09:41 PM
We rode it 3 times this last trip and didn't really see it very well the first time. I'm not even sure if it moved then. There were strobe lights around it. I saw it a little better the last 2 times and know it moved then because I actually ducked because I thought it was gonna get me :blush:. Do you think how well you can see it depends on if you are closer to the front of back of the train? We had to leave after the third time because it made my little girl sick from the switching to forward and backward and riding it 3 times in a row.:sick: I would have rode it several more times if I could just to get a better look at the Yeti.

Polynesian Dweller
02-16-2008, 10:55 PM
At first I thought it wasn't long enough but then I started to realize that it was supposed to be just a glimpse. If you have your head up you definitely can see it. The glimpse always gives you a reason to get back on the ride and keep trying to see it. Not a bad thing for a ride to always give you something you want to look for. Keeps the ride fresh longer.

WDWdriver
02-16-2008, 11:14 PM
We rode it 3 times this last trip and didn't really see it very well the first time. I'm not even sure if it moved then. There were strobe lights around it. I saw it a little better the last 2 times and know it moved then because I actually ducked because I thought it was gonna get me :blush:.

The yeti figure has two operating modes. The normal mode is the "A" mode when all the electronic and hydraulic systems are operating properly. In this mode the yeti leans toward the train and swipes at the riders with its huge arm. In the "B" mode (used when there are problems with the yeti systems) the figure is displayed without movement and is highlighted by strobe lights.

The Disney Imagineers never intended for guest to get a prolonged look at the Yeti. It was always meant to be just a quick look, which would encourage discussion and return visits for another glimpse of the creature from the Forbidden Mountain.

Eric87
02-17-2008, 12:32 PM
I believe the Imagineers were very smart with how they utilized the Yeti. There is definitely a build up to seeing him, and I think the Yeti would lose the mysteriousness about him if you went by slow and were able to video tape and take pictures of him. There are no videos or pics of "real Yetis", so why should there be one of the animatronic one? It makes you want to go on again and again to try and get a better look.

eyoreswife
02-17-2008, 04:54 PM
after many rides on ee we have decided the back of the ride preferably the last seat is the best look at the yeti, and i try to get a picture everytime but i havn't suceeded yeti:confused:

laughingplace<3
02-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Why do you all want pictures?!?! It is enough reason to go back to Disney World and see it again! ;)

Also, I've sat in the front numerous times and hardly got a look at the Yeti. That stinks. Don't ride in the front- I recommend doing it once because obviously it's cool, but you hardly get to look at him. The back is much scarier. :thumbsup:

Marker
02-17-2008, 05:23 PM
I think the fact that it is just a quick glimpse add to the intrigue.

What would you see as a reasonable solution, to slow the ride? You can't go fast and slow at the same time.

Guess they could stop the train for a brief photo oportunity. Wow, just imagine the comments that would cause.

crltkcagle
02-17-2008, 08:00 PM
i know what you mean because the first time i rode it i completly missed him.

#1donaldfan
02-17-2008, 08:55 PM
After reading the responses from some of the more seasoned writers I see this ride in a totally different light!!! I love the ride for sure, but I too wondered why the ride dipped away, and at such a fast pace from the Yeti. Now I understand and actually agree with the reasoning...why go back if you get a long, drawn out photo op with the mystical monster of the mountains.....I'll continue to ride it till they won't let my life support machines on the ride.......!!!!!!!

poohbearlover15
02-17-2008, 11:11 PM
I do agree with you that you really cant see the yeti very good but i think they did that because the ride is supposed to feel like your running away from the yeti and not slowing down by it.:mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
02-17-2008, 11:13 PM
I love EE and the Yeti!!! :coaster:

alyssašoš
02-17-2008, 11:31 PM
I do agree with you that you really cant see the yeti very good but i think they did that because the ride is supposed to feel like your running away from the yeti and not slowing down by it.:mickey:

:ditto: i agree, if you stopped for a while it would get you!;)

RedheadWriter
02-18-2008, 08:07 AM
I love the Yeti. After the first ride I asked my mother if she had seen the Yeti. Her response: I had my eyes closed for the whole ride!! I laughed. So when we rode again I yelled "Open your eyes now!!!" as we went by. It is so quick but scary if you immerse yourself in the moment and believe......

EJS-Houston
02-18-2008, 05:25 PM
i know what you mean because the first time i rode it i completly missed him.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I must have glanced in the wrong direction at just the wrong second and missed him completely. But the Dream All-Day Fast Passes that everyone on my car won when we got off the ride made up for it. I got right back on and rode again, and this time kept my eyes peeled for the Yeti!

AeroRnRer
02-18-2008, 07:58 PM
I am so excited to go on this ride! Last time I was there was in 2002...lots of fun new stuff to see!:thumbsup:

karenrarintogo
02-18-2008, 09:27 PM
THANKS to previous poster explaining difference between A and B mode. When we were there 6 months ago, we saw Yeti very clearly and coming out towards us (must have been A mode). We were there about a week ago and could hardly see it--it seemed dark or something and we kept waiting for it to appear--very disapointed. I KNEW something was very different about Yeti's presentation between the 2 visits, even though we were with friends who disagreed with us. :mickey:

LoriMistress
02-18-2008, 09:33 PM
I think you see plenty of the Yeti. Throughout EE, you see the Yeti a total of three times. Though, the first time may not be clear at all, and the second one is of his shadow. If you see the Yeti too long then it sort of takes the illusion away of how "powerful/real" the Yeti is.

kimommy63
02-19-2008, 06:37 PM
:mickey: Yup,
It's just a quick glimpse, but it keeps me coming back! More mysterious and frightening when you arent exactly sure what you just saw...:scared:

mrsHerbie53
02-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks to the poster that mentioned the Imagineers wanting to keep the mystery going... That makes sense that the glimpse is a part of the theme... But I wondered about it because my DS missed it entirely the first time through!!!

mook3y
02-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Just a thought...

Comparing the Yeti to the abominable snowman on the matterhorn at Disneyland.

I like the impact on EE much better!

I think far and away, the most spine tingling moment on Matterhorn is when you can only see the red eyes.

Yep sometimes, less is more.