PDA

View Full Version : Disney Rare Facts And Cool Trivia!

DrWorm2008
02-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Hello Intercotees! I have decided to post this thread to drum up some little-known or just purely random facts about the WDW Resort! :mickey:I'm going to make it a personal commitment to post at least ONE cool not-so-overly known fact about WDW each day!
I know there's some "Mousellaneous" stuff out there, but I'd like to throw a little in myself! :D
And of course, I encourage ALL OF YOU to add to it! Let's get started! :magic:

Here's the first one:

Did you know that the Polynesian Village Resort used to sport a surfable coastline? That's right! A first-of-its-kind wave machine was installed at Beachcomer Isle (directly across from the Poly beaches) to serve up surfable waves! :surfing:
Good idea in theory, but soon the waves began severely eroding the beaches, so the wave machine was eventually shut down. :( However, they never removed it from the water, and if you look out that way, you can still see it poking out just above the waterline. :cool:

RedheadWriter
02-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Awesome stuff! :thumbsup:

vizsla
02-07-2008, 05:27 AM
:thumbsup:

DrWorm2008
02-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Rod Serling was originally supposed to be shown with a cigarette in his hand as he introduced the episode for the Tower of Terror. The fact that Disney himself died of lung cancer made the imagineers think twice about showing Rod with the thing that eventually killed Walt. :skull:

RedheadWriter
02-07-2008, 10:53 AM
That makes sense.....You have cool stuff to pass along!

pdrlkr
02-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks Tim! :thumbsup: :mickey:

kimommy63
02-07-2008, 05:39 PM
:thumbsup:
Thanks for the tidbits!

Not2Loud
02-07-2008, 06:36 PM
cool stuff:D

SgtTigger
02-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Very cool picture........... thanks..........

:cop: :tigger:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks Tim, interesting facts.

DrWorm2008
02-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Here's two for today, since I missed yesterday's....(I had a migraine....still do, but whatever:ill:)

There are more than 2.3 billion gallons of water in Bay Lake and the adjoining Seven Seas Lagoon (which is connected by a "water bridge" - water on top, roadway under it). Together, the lakes cover 596 acres. Bay lake is natural, and was present when Disney bought it, while the Seven Seas Lagoon is completely man, or rather, Disney made.
Bay Lake is 12 feet at its deepest, the Seven Seas Lagoon is 14. :mickey:

poohbearlover15
02-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Wow! Thanks for the facts!

jpH/keD
02-09-2008, 04:04 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks! Wow! very cool stuff!:thumbsup:

RedheadWriter
02-09-2008, 04:37 PM
:thumbsup: ahhhh frm the great mind I admire like no other!!! Good stuff!

disneydeb
02-09-2008, 04:52 PM
I have learned a lot from reading this thread. Thanks!:mickey::mickey:

DrWorm2008
02-09-2008, 11:20 PM
In Muppet Vision 3-D, as soon as you get your 3D glasses, look off to the right and search for the "Security Office". You'll see a sign that says "Back in Five Minutes, Key Is Under Mat."
If you look down, you'll actually find a mat with a key embedded in the carpeting! :mickey:

DrWorm2008
02-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Okay, everyone! Here's another tidbit! Just a note: I will be moving to Indiana (TOO FAR FROM DISNEY!!!!:fit:) on Wednesday and Thursday, so I won't be posting until most likely early next week, so he tidbits will be back! (Unless RedheadWriter wants to take over during my absence? :thumbsup:). Wish we happy trails, and I will talk to you all then! Here's the Tidbit for today:

Did you know that World Showcase was originally slated to be close to the entrance to Epcot Center? Yes! World Showcase, originally designed as 2 semi-circles, was intended to be the main draw for what would become Epcot Center. It would contain a "courtyard of nations", with an observation tower that would rise high above a promenade (like the one in Sea World Orlando), and 30 international pavilions. Future World, originally known as the "EPCOT Theme Center", was to be added later and contain three major pavilions plus smaller, satellite pavilions that would focus on such things as energy, agriculture, transportation, technology, and the arts. After a luke-warm response from foreign nations to the proposal that they sponsor pavilions for the flagship World Showcase project, Disney decided not only to build "Future World" at the same time as World Showcase, but also to make it the main entrance to the new theme park. Why the change? Partly because it was reatively simple to get major corporations to finance the construction of the Future World pavilions in return for exclusive sponsorship deals. (i.e. Nestle, GM, Exxon, etc)

RedheadWriter
02-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Sure, I will take over. Let me know what to do.

DisneyDog
02-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Here's a bit of trivia...Robert Steven Rhine is actually impersonating Rod Serling for the very beginning of the Tower of Terror introduction (not the entire introduction, just the beginning). And, he's my cousin!! His mother and my late grandmother are sisters. She is an actress named Hazel Shermet, and his father was the late Larry Rhine who wrote many sitcoms in the 60's and 70's, including the Brady Bunch, All in the Family, and Mr. Ed.

poohbearlover15
02-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Here's a bit of trivia...Robert Steven Rhine is actually impersonating Rod Serling for the very beginning of the Tower of Terror introduction (not the entire introduction, just the beginning). And, he's my cousin!! His mother and my late grandmother are sisters. She is an actress named Hazel Shermet, and his father was the late Larry Rhine who wrote many sitcoms in the 60's and 70's, including the Brady Bunch, All in the Family, and Mr. Ed.

Thats awesome!!!!!

DisneyDog
02-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah, apparently he actually knew Rod Serling when he was a child. I've never met him, since they lived in CA and we live in PA (and he's more my mom's generation). But I did contact him once through email and we wrote back and forth a few times. He's also a writer and writes some very strange, creepy stuff. His wife is also in show business. She did the costumes and props for Who's Line is it Anyway.

Altair
02-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Here's a bit of trivia...Robert Steven Rhine is actually impersonating Rod Serling for the very beginning of the Tower of Terror introduction (not the entire introduction, just the beginning).

The credits for this ride list Rod Serling as himself and Mark Silverman as doing the voice over for the back story. In an interview Mark says imperonators were tried at first, but did not make it into the final product. Everything you see is Rod Serling himself.
Your cousin may have been one of the impersonators tested. :confused:

You can do a search for "Mark Silverman Interview" for more infor.

GrmGrninGost
02-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Excellent! :mickey: