PDA

View Full Version : Dogs gone wild **VENT**

Flower
02-05-2008, 05:39 PM
My neighbour recently kicked out her boyfriend and got a roommate, between them they now have a big lab and a big bulldog.

The roommate moved in while we were in Florida and my mom was house sitting for us. She mentioned to me when we got home that the neighbours were letting the dogs run loose on the front lawn - DH mentioned they were loose while he was shoveling snow the other night too.

I went to go grocery shopping today and a big 'dog mess' greeted me in the melting snow, in fact there were 3 'messes'. I took the snow shovel and flung it onto their front lawn, but I don't want to be dealing with that every time I walk out of MY house, and I want to curb it before spring & summer gets here, especially with my kids playing on the driveway/lawn with their bicycles & toys.

How would you approach your neighbour with this 'complaint'?

Keep in mind our front lawns are attached and although our homes are detached, our front porches run parallel and we see each other daily. We also have city by-laws against allowing your dogs to run loose, but I would rather mention it to her before getting by-law involved.

RenDuran
02-05-2008, 06:08 PM
One of our neighbor's must have had the same problem with the people next door to them, because they recently put up a little sign between the two lawns that says, "Please no dogs on our lawn."

To your neighbors I would probably phrase it something like....I don't know how to say this, but I've been finding a lot of dog poop in my yard lately and I'm not sure who's dog is doing it, but when your dogs are outside, could you keep an eye on them to make sure one of them isn't sneaking over?

NotaGeek
02-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Call the authorities and report them. I have neighbors that used to leave their dogs out all night ... full sized rotweillers, and they barked and barked and barked all night and early mornings. I called the non-emergency city police number and reported it every night/day for about a week ... then the dogs weren't left outside anymore. I have no problems letting the police or tax-paid authorities handle these situations. The neighbors are forced to take care of their animals and you don't have to ruffle the feathers of the people living next door to you.

DizneyRox
02-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Call the authorities and report them. I have neighbors that used to leave their dogs out all night ... full sized rotweillers, and they barked and barked and barked all night and early mornings. I called the non-emergency city police number and reported it every night/day for about a week ... then the dogs weren't left outside anymore. I have no problems letting the police or tax-paid authorities handle these situations. The neighbors are forced to take care of their animals and you don't have to ruffle the feathers of the people living next door to you.
Ditto, let the cops deal with it. I would go so far as to just mention the dogs letting run loose, NOT the poop issue. That would probably pont more fingers your way or another close neighbor.

Let them deal with, that what your tax dollars are going to.

Melanie
02-05-2008, 07:23 PM

I agree! We've had this issue more than once, and wished I'd gone straight to the top to begin with, instead of trying to deal with it myself first.

Good luck!

kakn7294
02-05-2008, 07:45 PM
I agree - call and report the dogs running free, don't mention the poo in your yard, and let the local authorities deal with them. That way, they don't have to know who specifically reported them. My next door neighbor allows their little dog to run loose constantly. They haven't gotten the hint even though I've taken him home after rescuing him from being hit by cars and chasing the soccer players on the field behind our houses - more than once. They think it's cute that he comes to "visit" me. Fortunately, he doesn't wander as far from home anymore and usually does stay in their yard.

Stitchahula
02-07-2008, 03:39 PM
I would first say something like " I don't know if you are aware of this but I believe your dogs have been releaving themselves in my yard. (that would cover both areas of releaving themselves since urine can burn your lawn in the summer)If they do nothing or blow it off say something to animal control and they will handle it, but atleast you made an effort to be nice about it. I'm a dog owner that has owned 3 dogs that have never pooped in someones yard and left it there.