PDA

View Full Version : Who voted today?

Not2Loud
02-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Did you vote today (or in your respective primary)?

Mackflava99
02-05-2008, 05:06 PM
yes i did- i was still undecided till i got there, but yes i did vote

Marker
02-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Of course I did.

SBETigg
02-05-2008, 05:42 PM
I walked a mile in the pouring rain to vote. No excuses! :)

NotaGeek
02-05-2008, 06:06 PM
I am wearing my "I Voted" sticker proudly!

merlinmagic4
02-05-2008, 06:42 PM
It was my volunteer day at the elementary school where I vote so of course I did!

jeddalynn
02-05-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm Canadian:winter:

Is that an ok excuse?

NotaGeek
02-05-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm Canadian:winter:

Is that an ok excuse?

Is there any excuse for being Canadian? :thedolls:

JUST KIDDING! I love my Kanuck Brothers and Sisters! :hug:

jeddalynn
02-05-2008, 07:45 PM
:flag:

Kairi_7378
02-05-2008, 07:53 PM
You betcha! One of my coworkers is a first generation American, and she said that her parents are thrilled to vote in every election because that isn't something they could do in their home country. I have dragged myself out of bed with the flu to exercise my right to vote! :flag:

disneydeb
02-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Yes!:eeyore::dumbo::flag:

Speedy1998
02-05-2008, 08:40 PM
I will vote but our primary is not until March 4.

Guess my vote will only matter for congressional races.

Mary Poppins
02-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Nope, I'm Canadian and I don't get to vote here otherwise I would.

DisneyDD2
02-06-2008, 12:49 AM
I need to register first. I'll be doing that before the big election.

2Epcot
02-06-2008, 01:07 AM
I voted today in my new county and new polling place. Very convienent for me ... just down the street at the fire station.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-06-2008, 01:42 AM
I think it is very important for people to vote and to do there research on all candidates before voting. I've spent the last couple of weeks reading up on their stances on different issues.

NotaGeek
02-06-2008, 02:08 AM
I need to register first. I'll be doing that before the big election.

It's an unfortunate idea that lots of Americans hold that voting in the primary elections isn't as important as voting in the November Elections ... in some cases it's MORE important if you have a specific person that you WANT to be able to run for President.

Congrats to EVERYONE that voted! If you haven't voted, or need to register you can get all the information you need at the Rock the Vote (http://www.rockthevote.com/home.php) website, there is a REGISTER TO VOTE link on the right side near the top of the page. :flag:

SBETigg
02-06-2008, 06:40 AM

Not so! Looks like we'll still need you to vote by then. It may be tight right up until the end for one party, anyway. You still have a voice.

pogo
02-06-2008, 07:32 AM
I did.... voting is a privilage, not a chore !:flag:

Hammer
02-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Not so! Looks like we'll still need you to vote by then. It may be tight right up until the end for one party, anyway. You still have a voice.

Absolutely! Even if the person you support does not win a state, in many cases he or she will still be awarded delegates as very few states, at least on the Democrat side and a few Republican primaries as well, are winner take all. That's why the delegate count is so close for both parties.

ljv1975
02-06-2008, 08:34 AM

Our primary isn't until April 22nd unless they move it up, which I doubt. I will still vote though!

murphy1
02-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Absolutely!! And it looks like my vote worked in Georgia, this is a historical election!! I think it's neat how people are so fired up about this election, too.

Scar
02-06-2008, 10:15 AM
No. And I don't feel bad at all about it.

I have voted in almost every election since I was 18. For the first time, NJ moved up its primary from June, and I was pretty excited about finally getting to vote in a primary that mattered. Then my guy (Rudy) drops out less than a week before the primary and I'm just not ready yet to throw my endorsement behind any of the remaining candidates.
:mad:

BouncingTigger
02-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Of course I did. People still think young people don't care about politics/voting - I've seen SO much campaign organizing on campus, almost all for Obama (he seems to be the fave among college students here). Hillary actually came to our campus (San Diego State University) and spoke, which was cool and apparently attracted a TON of people (I wanted to attend just to hear a major candidate speak but I had too much schoolwork that day). Yet I still hear on the news that young people don't tend to vote and don't care about politics. Maybe college students are more involved than young people who aren't in college, but I still think young adults are more aware and active than people think. Today I'm sure everyone will be talking about the election results.

I don't know how it is in other states, but in CA we had state and county ballot initiatives to vote on, so even if a voter didn't want to pick a presidential candidate, they had other reasons to go to the polls. Is this how it is in other states as well?

ncscgirl2005
02-06-2008, 11:30 AM

I have voted in almost every election since I was 18. For the first time, NJ moved up its primary from June, and I was pretty excited about finally getting to vote in a primary that mattered. Then my guy (Rudy) drops out less than a week before the primary and I'm just not ready yet to throw my endorsement behind any of the remaining candidates.

I know a few people in situations like this where their candidate of choice dropped out of the races. They did not vote in SC when the primary was held because they did not believe in anyone else. I don't knock them (or you) for that because at least you took the time to learn about the candidates and you found out that you did not believe in their positions and what they stand for :thumbsup:.

ncscgirl2005
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Of course I did. People still think young people don't care about politics/voting - I've seen SO much campaign organizing on campus, almost all for Obama (he seems to be the fave among college students here). Hillary actually came to our campus (San Diego State University) and spoke, which was cool and apparently attracted a TON of people (I wanted to attend just to hear a major candidate speak but I had too much schoolwork that day). Yet I still hear on the news that young people don't tend to vote and don't care about politics. Maybe college students are more involved than young people who aren't in college, but I still think young adults are more aware and active than people think. Today I'm sure everyone will be talking about the election results.

I don't know how it is in other states, but in CA we had state and county ballot initiatives to vote on, so even if a voter didn't want to pick a presidential candidate, they had other reasons to go to the polls. Is this how it is in other states as well?

I was touched when I saw so many young people here in SC show up to vote. We happend to be at one of the rec centers that was holding elections and there were so many young folks coming out. This will be my 3rd election so I still like to consider myself a young voter (Ok,Ok,...maybe by my own standards)! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dakota Rose
02-06-2008, 07:43 PM
I was unable to vote because the lame-os who planned our caucus only allowed voting from 6:30pm until 8pm and only had one voting location. I was scheduled to run a meeting from 4:30 until 8:30 that night and so I couldn't make it.

Well, and like Scar said, my guy (Thompson) dropped out and the remaining candidates make me ill.

Hammer
02-06-2008, 08:47 PM

Well, and like Scar said, my guy (Thompson) dropped out and the remaining candidates make me ill.

Okay, I absolutely understand if your candidate had recently dropped out (Guilani, Thompson or Edwards) and you are not ready yet to put your support behind a new candidate. The candidate that a person chooses to support should not be quickly decided. We are privileged to be able to choose our elected officials and we should treat making that decision with respect and research the candidates and their position on issues. Nothing makes me crazier than when I hear someone voted for a candidate because they "seemed nice" :mad: and know nothing of their position on any issue.

ncscgirl2005
02-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Nothing makes me crazier than when I hear someone voted for a candidate because they "seemed nice" :mad: and know nothing of their position on any issue.

Especially with the abundance of information that can be found online even if you can't go hear the candidates speak in person. I have a co-worker that said she'll vote for whoever because she doesn't know anything about any of them but yet still she spends half her day on Myspace and God only knows what else. :mad:

Ian
02-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Nothing makes me crazier than when I hear someone voted for a candidate because they "seemed nice" :mad: and know nothing of their position on any issue.UGH! We may not agree on everything (especially when it comes to politics!), Christine, but we sure agree on that.

To me a voter who doesn't take time to educate his/herself about the candidates is very dangerous.

Electing an individual to lead this country is nothing that should be taken lightly, but yet I constantly hear people saying they're going to vote for so-and-so because he/she "seems nice" or "is so handsome" or even to a lesser degree because he/she belongs/doesn't belong to this or that ethnic group.

To me, those are very shallow reasons to elect someone into what is, arguably, the most powerful position on Earth.

Ironically, I wonder how many of these people will then complain bitterly when the candidate they backed simply because he was "nice" or "handsome" turns out to be a disaster as President. :shake:

magicofdisney
02-07-2008, 08:07 PM
We had our Primary last week. I voted and also filled out a form to change my party affiliation.

I've been taking my kids with me since they were able to walk. I think it's important that kids see the process in action.

kaerbear178
02-08-2008, 01:14 AM
I was very excited to vote on Tuesday. If you don't vote, you don't have the right to complain when things aren't going the way that you want. You could have been the one to make a difference!

Hammer
04-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Just bringing this back as a reminder for our PA voters (we seem to have a lot of PA people on Intercot) to go out and cast you vote in today's primary. Polls are open until 8:00 PM EDT. You needed to have registered with a party affiliation, though, to vote as PA is a closed primary.

PirateLover
04-22-2008, 04:01 PM
I took my grandfather in a wheelchair to vote, then went to my own polling place. There were no other people there... but it was 11am.

Ian
04-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I actually am not going to bother to vote in this primary. My party's candidate has already cemented the nomination (and I don't like him anyway). There aren't any significant local races going on either, so there's just no point in it.

Stupid two-party political system .... :sick:

ElenitaB
04-22-2008, 04:39 PM
I've lived abroad where they have/had all kinds of different political systems and I can tell you that it's better than a one party political system (or a "my way or the highway" political system)!

PirateLover
04-22-2008, 04:53 PM
I actually am not going to bother to vote in this primary. My party's candidate has already cemented the nomination (and I don't like him anyway). There aren't any significant local races going on either, so there's just no point in it.

There weren't even any ballot questions you cared about? That was actually my main concern today. Also we have pretty important state senate and state representative races in my district. I've vowed to never miss an election, no matter how unimportant. Last year we missed the mayoral primaries because we were in WDW, but we had enough foresight to get absentee ballots. (However I had completely forgot about it, and one pollster called me and said "I see here you once voted absentee" and I denied it until my mom reminded.:blush:)
One thing I'll be glad about is NO MORE PHONE CALLS! My gosh. Yesterday I got calls from Barrack AND Michelle Obama, about 5 calls from union leaders/local organizations, a personal invitation to a Hillary Clinton rally, and an offer for a ride to the polls.

d_m_n_n
04-23-2008, 08:01 AM
I've been taking my kids with me since they were able to walk. I think it's important that kids see the process in action.

This is so important! My kids love election day...of course they like going out to breakfast with DH and me while being late for school...but I do think they need to realize it is our civic duty and privilege to vote. :thumbsup:

elmjimmlm
04-23-2008, 09:17 AM
We dont have ours until May...The one that I would vote for has already dropped out...I havent decided what I am going to do yet...:confused: