PDA

View Full Version : Annual Pass Question

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-05-2008, 02:33 PM
So I usually take a trip in Sept. This year I have to go in Oct so next year I'll return in Sept. Usually for 10 days. Is it a better deal to get the annual pass? Are there any perks to getting it?

SAnderson70769
02-05-2008, 02:48 PM
If you are going for at least 2 trips within the same year for 10 days each, then an AP is definitely the way to go. You can also view the benefits in InfoCentral here at intercot or the main WDW website. Also, during certain times of the year (I think Oct and Sept would fall into this) you can get really good discounts on a resort room with an AP.

Have fun!

P.S. I'm going in 3 weeks and also will be at a work conference in June, so I bought an AP! Got POP Century room for $79 per night with AP Rate.

mouse-logic
02-05-2008, 02:51 PM
crunch the numbers to see whether you can get an extended MYW ticket with no expiration for the total number of days for the two trips for a total $ value cheaper than an AP. I think not.

I am getting an AP with $100 DVC discount because we are taking two shorter trips to WDW this year--total 7 days. The discounted AP is cheaper than a 7-day MYW Park hopper with no expiration.

Aside from the actual $ cost, the AP gives you some nice little perks...dining discounts, shopping discounts, AP room discounts (sometimes), and access to the AP portion of the WDW website. There are others as well.

And, there's something comforting to me knowing that if I have nothing better to do (and spare money for plane fare a hotel room), I can always bolt down to WDW for the weekend.

Checkers
02-05-2008, 02:54 PM
If you are going to be going twice in a year's time and spending 10 or more days in the parks, an AP is the best way to go. We went down last Oct. and will be going again this Oct. and we purchased an AP. It also entitles you to purchase a Disney Dining Experience card that gives you 20% off food and beverages (alcoholic included) in most Disney restaurants.

Also, you can usually get AP rates at the Disney hotels. These come out periodically and I am sure there is someone who knows more about it than I do. Happy planning!:mickey:

sillyolbear
02-05-2008, 05:15 PM
The advice to run the numbers is really good. Factor in what you want in admission media--hopper, no expiration, etc. and what it costs based on the number of days you will need in the calendar year.

Also, factor in that AP's are good from the date of issue until that date the following year, so if the AP is issued on 9-15-08 it expires at midnight on 9-15-09.

While there are AP room discounts, there is no guarantee that they will be offered or available. So, it is usually best to base the decision to get an AP on the park admission savings and treat the room discount as a bonus if you can get it.

Flower
02-05-2008, 05:29 PM
We usually get the AP and it has worked well for us. Our room discount in January was $49 at POP and $114 at POR. There is also 10% at DTD's World of Disney (We used to get 10% at alot more stores but THEY did away with it.)

A standard AP allows you to park hop as well, free parking if you stay off-site, 10% off most restaurants, and as mentioned you can purchase the Disney Dining Experience for $65 which gives you 20% off of most restaurants (sit down and Counter service), including 20% off alcohol.

Keep in mind with the DDE they now add an automatic 18% gratuity at sit down restaurants, making the saving only a few dollars from your bill, the better saving now is with the counter service.

For us, AP's have been the way to go, we used them last February. October & again this December/January.

Crow
02-05-2008, 09:31 PM
i upgraded MYW in Sept to AP..that way i have my admission already for this coming trip, & will probly try to go again this yr.
I got an AP rate of $79 Pop but dont always count on AP rates...hope but dont plan.
ill also probably get the DDE for the 20% off (well 2% overall since they add 18% gratuity) but the alcohol is discounted too. and i will use it mayb at a CS where theres no tip & at Pop food court.
Might use it at AP for discount or WOD.
it looks like i got a discounted AP rate for Alamo for this trip also
you can also get a discount at golf, water parks,movies,spa & some other odds and ends.
check it out to see if it works for you.

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-06-2008, 02:06 AM
Thanks for answering my questions. It's making me think that it will be the way we go.

Is there a usual time that they offer discounts for AP members on resorts?

One last question - If I purchase my Disney vacation 6 months our does the pass take effect then or when I take my vacation? Do I need to wait until the last minute to get one?

Again thanks for your help.

mouse-logic
02-06-2008, 06:59 AM
You can purchase the AP in advance and you will receive a certificate that must be redeemed at Guest Services, etc at WDW. The certificate is good for one year, and when the AP is activated it is good for one year -- from the date of activation. So, you would naturally activate it on the first day of your vacation as you enter your first park. And the above post is correct--you actually get 366 days of park entrance privileges.

We're just going to wait until we arrive, purchase the AP at Guest Services--doesn't really take any more time. We run the risk that the price will change, but I can live with that seeing as how we leave next Friday morning--woooooooooo hooooooo!

Donald A
02-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Figure a 10 day park hopper with no expiration is $450, the same price as an annual pass. Therefore if you are going 5 days each trip over 2 trips, it probably isn't worth it. You probably would just want the 10 day park hopper (or to buy a resort package each trip). That way if you don't make the next trip with-in a year you have those days left for whenever you want. On the other hand, if you go 10 days each trip X 2 trips in a 12 month period, there is no question. The AP perks are actually very similar to DVC perks and save some money on some select restaurants (often during certain times of the day) as well as some recreational activities. Keep in mind, however, having an AP keeps you from buying Magic Your Way packages that often include combination discounts (sometimes even free dining) that would far outweigh 10% off at a restaurant.

splashtest
02-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Annual pass is definitly the way to go. You also get discounts on other things too.

SurferStitch
02-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Keep in mind with the DDE they now add an automatic 18% gratuity at sit down restaurants, making the saving only a few dollars from your bill, the better saving now is with the counter service.

You tip anyway, so you are still saving 20% off your total bill.

We will actually save more money now, since we always tipped 20-25% in the past. An automatic 18% gratuity will make the DDE card an even bigger value for us. (We've never tipped less than 20% in WDW because we've always had wonderful service).

You only save the 20% at a CS meal when you don't have a TS option at that park or resort. I don't know how the new TS Tusker House will change that for Flametree BBQ and Pizzafari in the future.