PDA

View Full Version : Two questions....

DrWorm2008
02-05-2008, 02:11 PM
I have two questions for everyone....:mickey:

1. Does anyone know if they are EVER going to fix the Fountain of Nations at Epcot? (This is the large fountain just outside of Innoventions and Electric Umbrella). Every quarter hour, they play one of 8 musical scores, and the fountain shoots water into the air in time to the music. When it is fully operational, there are 12 large cannon-like pumps that shoot the water vertically to quite a remarkable height....however, my friend Jerry and I have noticed that there are only 8 of the original 12 still working. Are they EVER going to fix it? :mad:

2. What is the DEAL with Imagination? I hear all kinds of sordid rumors....first, they were going to refurb AGAIN, then they were going to change the exit and re-open the Pyramids, now I hear they're going to bulldoze the whole thing! What is REALLY going on?????:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks in advance for any insights into these conundrums. :D

BelleLovesTheBeast
02-05-2008, 02:20 PM
I don't know for sure but I heard that the Imagination Pavillion had to do with Image Works refurb - nothing major.

I never noticed that about the fountain.

MMouse6937
02-05-2008, 04:42 PM
In answer to your first question, I never noticed that there was things that weren't "working" in the fountain of nations. I would assume it was for water conservation or something like that, but I could be wrong. As far as the Imagination pavillion there is a thread here in News and Rumors that does state there has been some plans filed to do something with the building and there is only speculation to a possible rehab to Journey Into the Imagination or if this is just the imageworks, who knows at this point, just have to wait and see.

DisFan01
02-05-2008, 08:23 PM
I have not noticed that the fountains aren't working. Maybe they just have them off? :confused:

Anyway, I don't think anyone really knows much about the Imagination Pavillion refurb. It's probably just minor changes, as I think it needs! :D

DrWorm2008
02-06-2008, 11:16 AM
In answer to your first question, I never noticed that there was things that weren't "working" in the fountain of nations. I would assume it was for water conservation or something like that, but I could be wrong. As far as the Imagination pavillion there is a thread here in News and Rumors that does state there has been some plans filed to do something with the building and there is only speculation to a possible rehab to Journey Into the Imagination or if this is just the imageworks, who knows at this point, just have to wait and see.
It's definitely not a conservation thing, because all that water is recycled and used again. There is definitely something wrong with the pumps, and we're just wondering why they don't fix them....it looks SO MUCH BETTER when they are all firing! :mickey: They drained the fountain a few weeks ago and cleaned the area under it, but it still isn't back to full capability.
Those cannons have been 101 for a LONG time.:(
I will post a link to a pic that shows them all going off at once....stay tuned.

Marilyn Michetti
02-06-2008, 11:21 AM
They can't just bulldoze the tombstones can they? People paid lots of money to have their faces and named preserved. Was there a time limit?:confused:

splashtest
02-06-2008, 11:32 AM
I believe the fountains are completly down right now and in the middle of a refurb as we speak. I recall reading that bit of information somewhere.....:)

DizneyRox
02-06-2008, 01:10 PM
They can't just bulldoze the tombstones can they? People paid lots of money to have their faces and named preserved. Was there a time limit?:confused:
It was 10 years when I got mine in 1999 (late 1999) so they aren't going anywhere as far as I'm concerned until 2010.

DrWorm2008
02-06-2008, 09:24 PM

The tombstones? You mean the hideous "Leave a Legacy" graveyard in front of SSE? :ack: Sorry, but it's a eyesore to me....I guess it's cool to see your pics on it and stuff, but they're so SMALL!

Also, I want the clear Lucite statue back that used to stand in the middle of the entrance fountain with the old Epcot logo on it! It looked AWESOME in the sunlight and even better with the night lighting! WHY? WHY try to fix something that ISN'T BROKEN!!! :mad: Seriously - WHY did that need to go???:confused:

DrWorm2008
02-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Here is a quote from the book "The Walt Disney World Trivia Book" :
"The Fountain of Nations, located in Innoventions plaza in Future World-and operational since Epcot's opening day-is WDW's largest fountain. More than 108,000 gallons of water flow through its pipes (so much for the water conservation theory), and its 304 nozzles and 12 water cannons can shoot water over 150 feet into the air (nearly as high as Spaceship Earth!). Throughout the day, the fountain comes to life to dance to musical selections. It took the Disney Imagineers three months to program the dancing waters and their music. At night, 1,068 lights create a rainbow of colors to compliment the ballet score. The fountain was designed by a team of Imagineers, one of whom went on to found WET design, the company responsible for such magnificent fountains as the one on front of the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas.":thumbsup:

RedheadWriter
02-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Also, I want the clear statue back that used to stand in the middle of the entrance fountain! :mad:Seriously - WHY did that need to go???:confused:

Just found pictures of this from ym first trip to WDW in 1988. I feel your pain.....

DrWorm2008
02-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Here is the link to see a pic of all 12 cannons going off....:number1:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh167/drworm2008/DSC00308.jpg

broadway_chick72
02-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure abotu the fountains, but as for the pavillion... last time I was in Disneyworld, I feel like it had been completley closed off. We had wondered what was going on... but like, I'm pretty sure all there was a pond that had been drained out in front of it or something. It just looked like it was going under complete-refurb

JerryBrownJr
02-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Nice picture of The Fountain of Nations. Wait... I took that picture!!! That picture was taken 11/20/2001. Thank you for adding it to your photo bucket so everybody can see what the fountain can look like when it is fully functional. After working in EPCOT Horticulture for over 3 years and being stationed from the back side of SSE and around the fountain, I have watched that fountain literally hundreds of times, and in the past year or so, it has not been like it was in past years. I have tried to ask guest relations numerous times and each time they look at me like I am crazy. It's sad that no cast member that I have talked to takes the time to noticed these changes. So many guests watch the dancing water shows and it is such a focal point to future world, they should take better care in repairing the fountain. As for the front entrance, I agree with you completely. When they removed the old finger beds (planters) and reduced the large middle bed to put in those tacky granite statues, it turned the front entrance from a colorful, inviting place to a cold desolate environment. Granite is nice as a kitchen counter in my opinion. I also think they should revive the blue fountain with the Lucite Statue that had the old EPCOT Center Logo and get rid of the granite and put in low line planters again.

DrWorm2008
02-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Just found pictures of this from ym first trip to WDW in 1988. I feel your pain.....

I know - I MOURN the old Epcot CENTER. It will never be the same as it's glory days in the 80's. :crying::crying:

scoot241
02-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Also, I want the clear Lucite statue back that used to stand in the middle of the entrance fountain with the old Epcot logo on it! It looked AWESOME in the sunlight and even better with the night lighting! WHY? WHY try to fix something that ISN'T BROKEN!!! :mad: Seriously - WHY did that need to go???:confused:

I'm really gonna make you mad with this tidbit... the Lucite statues were sold on eBay.

RedheadWriter
02-07-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm really gonna make you mad with this tidbit... the Lucite statues were sold on eBay.

ME and DrWorm were just on the phone talking about them selling things on Ebay!!!!! I can;t believe it! OHHHH my. :(

DisFan01
02-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Here is a quote from the book "The Walt Disney World Trivia Book" :
"The Fountain of Nations, located in Innoventions plaza in Future World-and operational since Epcot's opening day-is WDW's largest fountain. More than 108,000 gallons of water flow through its pipes (so much for the water conservation theory), and its 304 nozzles and 12 water cannons can shoot water over 150 feet into the air (nearly as high as Spaceship Earth!). Throughout the day, the fountain comes to life to dance to musical selections. It took the Disney Imagineers three months to program the dancing waters and their music. At night, 1,068 lights create a rainbow of colors to compliment the ballet score. The fountain was designed by a team of Imagineers, one of whom went on to found WET design, the company responsible for such magnificent fountains as the one on front of the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas.":thumbsup:

Have you actually watched all 12 cannons go off? Maybe they just all go off on certain songs...were you there at every song, or was it just as you were walking by? Just curious... ;)

Here is the link to see a pic of all 12 cannons going off....:number1:

This link does not work...it says the page can not be displayed. Did it delete the photo? :confused:

JerryBrownJr
02-08-2008, 07:43 PM
DisFan01: If you read my message I sent above, I use to work at EPCOT for 3+ years in their horticulture department. My area that I worked in was the back side of SSE to the bridge before world showcase started. I have watched that fountain literally hundreds and hundreds of times, and in the 8 songs that they play, the water cannons sometime will in sequences of 2, 4, 8, and even twelve. Also in two songs, the eight cannons that are patterned in a circle go off in a staggered shot with 2 going off at a time to complete a sequence of 8 at a time. Three of the 8 songs has a sequence with all 12 going off at the same time. I have several pictures as well as short video clips I took with my camera over the years. When I go to EPCOT, the highlight of my trip is watching the fountain and notice the little imperfections over the year. It has seemed in the past year or so, one of the main water pumps has been failing over and over again, resulting in 6 water cannons actually working. I usually go to EPCOT every other week just to see the progress, and each visit has been a bit disappointed, so I keep my fingers crossed! If you want me to be even more detailed, I can tell you the total number of water canons that go off at a single time per song.

1) Rescuers Down Under: 12 (Set of 4 followed immediately with a set of 8.

2) "Air Battle" sequence from Surprise in the Skies: 12 at one time

3) "Around the World with Mickey Mouse": 8 at one time

4) The Rocketeer Theme: 12 (Set of 4 followed immediately with a set of 8. ( I also have a video of that to prove!)

5) "Day One" by John Tesh: 12 at one time

6) "Standing in Motion" by Yanni: 12 at one time

7) End Credits to Iron Will: 8 at one time

8) Celebrate the Future hand in hand: 8 at one time.

Does this help???

DisFan01
02-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Sorry, your post was the only one I didn't read. :blush:

Did the picture actually work for you? I was just wondering, because it doesn't work on my computer. :thumbsup:

Coleby
02-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Sorry, your post was the only one I didn't read. :blush:

Did the picture actually work for you? I was just wondering, because it doesn't work on my computer. :thumbsup:

The link works fine on my computer.

You know I knew something was wrong with the fountain, but I just couldn't place my finger on it. Just seemed like something was missing, now until they fix it, I will keep looking at it and focusing on it. thanks Dr Worm lol

DisFan01
02-08-2008, 08:14 PM
The link works fine on my computer.

When I click it, it brings up a photobucket page that says "Page not Found"...

Does anyone know how to get it to work? :confused:

Coleby
02-08-2008, 08:21 PM
not sure, all I am doing is clicking on it

try to copy and paste it

DisFan01
02-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Okay...thanks!

I finally figured out how to get to it a different way... :thumbsup:

tinklover
02-08-2008, 08:29 PM
it would not work on mine either i even tried logging in to my account and it still did not work

DisFan01
02-08-2008, 08:33 PM
► Copy and paste the link in the bar, and it will bring you to an error page.

► In the toolbar, delete DSC00308.jpg in the link, and click enter.

► Look on the left hand side, and click on Vintage Disney.

► It's the last photo on that page.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

rt207
02-08-2008, 09:42 PM
► Copy and paste the link in the bar, and it will bring you to an error page.

► In the toolbar, delete DSC00308.jpg in the link, and click enter.

► Look on the left hand side, and click on Vintage Disney.

► It's the last photo on that page.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Thanks so much! I couldn't get it to work, either, and it was driving me nuts. The fountain is my favorite thing in Epcot-especially at night.

DisFan01
02-08-2008, 09:48 PM
No Problem!

Glad I could help. :thumbsup:

JerryBrownJr
02-08-2008, 11:06 PM
No it did not, but the pic that was on there was taken by me back in 2001, so I have all the pictures. I know DrWorm from interning at the land back in 1999. Let me know how I can send you that info.

laughingplace<3
02-08-2008, 11:17 PM
I did the leave a legacy, and even I think that they should go. They are ugly, and who actually wants to look at a small squre of granite in which you can't even see pictures. I wouldn't mind if they took them out and put in some more welcoming things- I never saw the park before the leave a legacy, but I'm assuming it looked a lot better.

However, when I did it in 2001-2005 (I forgot when :secret:), they said it would be there for at least... I think it was 50 years, actually. I'm not positive though.

DizneyRox
02-09-2008, 08:56 AM
However, when I did it in 2001-2005 (I forgot when :secret:), they said it would be there for at least... I think it was 50 years, actually. I'm not positive though.
You may mean they need to display it for 50 years, but not in that location...

DrWorm2008
02-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Hey guys - :mickey:I have to credit JerryBrown Jr with the picture of the fountain, and bringing this whole subject up in the first place:thumbsup:, although i'm just as obsessed with Disney as anybody else, and the fountain issue definitely bothers me, although not as much as demolishing Horizons, or permanently making JII a complete disgrace!:mad:, but I digress....that's another issue entirely....anyway, here's the link for the fountain picture....I moved it to a new folder, and I didn't realize that it toally screwed up the link! Sorry, everyone! :blush:
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh167/drworm2008/Vintage%20Disney/DSC00308.jpg

DrWorm2008
02-10-2008, 09:24 AM
PS - SOMEBODY tell JerryBrownJr how to pick an avatar! :mickey: