PDA

View Full Version : Blue Tooth head sets.... what's up with them?

Marker
02-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Ok, as long as we're fussing about texting on another thread, I thought I'd throw this in.

What's up with people wearing a Blue Tooth headseat ALL THE TIME? Are they really expecting a phone call every minute? I've seen people wear them in restaurants, stores, theaters, churches, regardless of where they are or what they're doing.

And if it does happen to go off while you're in the restaurant, store, theater, church, etc.... are you going to instantly hit the button to answer it?

I don't get it.

Offended, no. But it annoys me, and much more so than someone sending a text in my presence. And frankly, I think it looks goofy.

Piglet822
02-05-2008, 11:40 AM
I swore I would never get a Bluetooth. I feel the same way you do, I never understood the whole concept of having somthing in your ear all the time :confused:
Then I accidentally pulled my hands free cord out of my phone and damaged the port that it went into. After that I had no choice but to get a Bluetooth. Luckily mine came with a clip that I hook it onto and I actually wear it around my neck.
I honestly don't know what I'd do if it didn't have that. I do love my Bluetooth though.

offwego
02-05-2008, 12:51 PM
My stepdad loves his. (While he's a trucker and driving I get it and it makes total sense when he's not driving not so much)

Frankly I do think they look weird and wonder if they have an impact on hearing..just me perhaps though.

disneydeb
02-05-2008, 01:01 PM
I laugh at myself when I see someone talking to themself and then I realize they have bluetooth.:D

I think they are ready to be transported back to the mother ship.

(beam me up , Scottie)

merlinmagic4
02-05-2008, 01:33 PM
I think they are probably wonderful for driving but otherwise I think they are ridiculous :D You have to chuckle when you see someone just walking along talking to what looks like no one at all! I also find it rude when I am talking to someone or in a car with them and they all of a sudden start talking to someone else. I just don't get it but I only use my cell phone for emergencies. I never chat on it but I guess I'm "old fashioned". I guess it's no surprise that I don't text either.

Walt Lucas
02-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I only s mine when im driving. too many states are making people use hands free devices while driving. Living in Mass, it's only a matter of time before they start making us use them. I like to prepare myself for the worse :D

Walt Lucas
02-05-2008, 02:02 PM
I only use mine when im driving. too many states are making people use hands free devices while driving. Living in Mass, it's only a matter of time before they start making us use them. I like to prepare myself for the worse :D

RedheadWriter
02-05-2008, 02:51 PM
I only use mine when im driving. too many states are making people use hands free devices while driving. Living in Mass, it's only a matter of time before they start making us use them. I like to prepare myself for the worse :D

Hey you! I know you!!!! You're the guy that wears that StormTrooper costume!!!
I had to laugh, because YOU DO PREPARE FOR THE WORST! Here I am this happy go lucky person not really paying attention to the future, you on the other hand have the escape plan all worked out.!
I gotta get me one of those blue tooth things for the Sidekick!

Welcome aboard, Eric!

prprincess
02-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Offend me, no. But I agree with the OP, they do look pretty stupid. Unfortunately, I live in NJ and they're starting to enforce the whole hands free thing, so I think I'll have to cave and buy one soon.

But trust me, I won't wear it 24/7. ;-)

2Epcot
02-05-2008, 09:53 PM
I've been using bluetooth headsets for a few years, and I also find it strange that people wear them all the time. I have never liked having mine on unless I'm actually talking. The exception, like others, is when I'm driving. I usually leave it on then, so it is easy to answer the phone ... especially on the freeway.

On the other side, I think it is probably the safest place to keep the bluetooth headset. In the last few years I've lost or broken at least 5 or 6 of them. Luckily I've found some great deals online to replace them. Sadly, my favorite headset (which I bought 4 times) is no longer made. The current one I have was given to me by a friend as a birthday gift because she knew how much bad luck I've had with my headsets.

Most of the time I will keep it in my pocket, but even when I turn it off it usually ends up coming on in my pocket, then I pick up the phone and the person can't hear me until I notice the bluetooth is on. The bluetooth I really liked was designed in a way I could easily clip it to my shirt ... The one I have now won't allow me to do that.

thrillme
02-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Well this may sound tacky but I dubbed them "Ear Roaches" a long time ago. They just sorta looked like a giant beetle hanging on a persons ear.

But I can't talk much because both my boyfriend and I now have blue tooth capable phones and we're looking forward to getting a couple of "Ear Roaches" for ourselves. Alas we can't wear them all the time but they sure would be nice while in the car.

Piglet822
02-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Well this may sound tacky but I dubbed them "Ear Roaches" a long time ago. They just sorta looked like a giant beetle hanging on a persons ear.

I call mine "my cockroach" :blush:

kakn7294
02-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I work in a hospital and one of our docs wears one - I swear, it makes him look like Dr Spock! I don't think I could wear one. I don't even like my hands-free wire - it limits my hearing too much being nearly deaf in one ear.

pogo
02-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Here in New York you are required to use a handsfree device while driving. I went through two corded headsets before I went to the BT and now I'd never go back. I use my cell phone for business and wear out a battery in a day, so the BT is the only way to go ! But, when I'm not driving, I am not wearing it ! :shake:

Come on Marker..... get with the program ! :D

Ian
02-06-2008, 08:50 AM
I have no issue with people using them while they're driving. DW's car has the built-in Bluetooth so she doesn't need a headset, but I have one for when I drive.

But yeah ... I find it immensely pretentious when people walk around with them in while doing mundane things like grocery shopping.

To me it says, "Hey ... look at me ... I am SO important that I just can't possibly be out of touch for more than a second. At any given moment, some incredibly critical phone call may come in and I have to be able to answer it in the blink of an eye. Aren't you impressed??"

I feel the same way about people above the age of 18 who wear their sunglasses indoors. :shake:

ckaranassos
02-06-2008, 03:16 PM
I watched a woman with one on while we were ice skating the other day. I have to say we made fun of her pretty bad. However, I will admit she never fell :blush: (see feeling like a DOPE post)

disneydeb
02-06-2008, 03:39 PM
"

I feel the same way about people above the age of 18 who wear their sunglasses indoors. :shake:

Hey! I resemble that remark! When I have a migraine I am so light sensitive I have been known to wear my sunglasses indoors.:cool: :D

Aggie97
02-06-2008, 11:32 PM
To me it says, "Hey ... look at me ... I am SO important that I just can't possibly be out of touch for more than a second. At any given moment, some incredibly critical phone call may come in and I have to be able to answer it in the blink of an eye. Aren't you impressed??"

That's hilarious!! It's exactly what my husband and I always say when we see people in the mall/grocery store/public restroom, etc.

Ian
02-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Hey! I resemble that remark! When I have a migraine I am so light sensitive I have been known to wear my sunglasses indoors.:cool: :DOkay ... medical exceptions excluded!

Jeff
02-07-2008, 10:32 AM
And frankly, I think it looks goofy.

I agree they are goofy looking. We call folks using them "Borgs" as in Star Trek.

However, in a few years they will probably be so common place we won't give them a second look.

Ian
02-07-2008, 11:37 AM
However, in a few years they will probably be so common place we won't give them a second look.I can envision a time down the road when they're installed right inside your ear.

Kind of like a bionic man sort of thing!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-07-2008, 10:38 PM
I used to make fun of people wearing sunglasses inside, until I was wearing mine-in the rain! But I'd just had my eyes dilated so now I try not to jump to conclusions.
I wear my BT when I'm driving. My car is a standard and I can't steer, turn, shift and talk and do my makeup all at once. So it really comes in handy.
I will wear it out in public if I just got out of the car and haven't finished the conversation or if I'm expecting a call from one of my sisters and I know it's important, usually related to the health of one of my nephews!

MNNHFLTX
02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
I am all for hands-free technology (although talking on the phone while driving is distracting, whether you have Blue Tooth capability or not), but I agree that people who walk around with them on all the time look a bit strange to me. And the trend stretches across all groups of people, from preppy young executives all the way to gray-haired grandmas. The only thing I can figure is that some people wear their headset like a piece of jewelrey--sort of a status symbol, I think. Either that or they just forget they have them on?