PDA

View Full Version : Melted plastic out of the oven?

JanetMegan
02-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Ummm so...

Any good suggestions for getting melted plastic out of the inside of the oven?

kakn7294
02-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Ummm... get a new oven?

Seriously, this is from Good Housekeeping's Hints with Heloise (I love her!):

"For a regular electric oven: Place a bag of ice directly on the melted plastic to chill it and make it more brittle. Then carefully, using a razor-blade scraper, lift off the puddle of plastic. This procedure will not hurt an interior porcelain finish.

For a regular gas oven: First turn off the gas. Then take out the bottom panel (there should be two screws in the back that can be removed to lift out this base plate). If it fits, put the panel in the freezer until the spilled plastic becomes brittle enough to scrape off, or use the bag-of-ice technique, keeping the panel flat on a kitchen counter.

For an oven with a self- or continuous-cleaning feature: Turn on the oven to its lowest setting and heat only until the plastic becomes pliable. Then use a wooden spatula or spoon (other materials may damage the surface) to remove the melted plastic.

As a last resort, it may be necessary to replace the floor or bottom plate in your oven."

See, even Heloise thinks you might need a new oven - my idea wasn't so crazy after all! Good luck - let us know if you get it clean!

tinkerbell04
02-05-2008, 03:08 PM
I actually did this once before also:blush: What I did was turn the oven on very low, like 200 degrees for a little bit just until the plastic was soft, then I used a pampered chef scraper to scrape it off, most of it came off in one piece, but there was a smell of plastic in the oven for a few weeks, good luck:mickey:

Jeff
02-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Ok Janet, this begs the question.......HOW the heck did you get plastic in your oven?????